Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Eurogamer Expo News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The ArenaNet team is preparing its presentation for Guild Wars 2 at the Eurogamer Expo as we speak. We'll keep you posted by updating this news piece as information about the game is revealed so keep refreshing that page.

• Game design lead Mike Z. is speaking about updates, living world, etc.

• We've been telling intricate stories for a year that are coming to a head. 

• Ultimately it's about "you guys". We want you to think the world is alive and reacting to what you do in there.

• Community is what an MMO is all about

• Four living world teams with four months to prepare one month's content overlapping one another

• When we add something new to the map, it's with a very, very specific plan

• 18 major releases since launch and this is just the beginning.

• The living world is a platform

• We want the content that players will discover that will lead them to the new content

• We bring content directly to players as well

• Massive scenarios

• Tell us where you want to see the game going

• An engaged playerbase: You care more about the game now than you did when the game released based on interactions in game, forums, conventions, etc.

• Healthy and consistently growing community has evolved since the inclusion of the 2-week content release schedule debuted

• Where do we go from here?

• We are doing things that will change the face of the map. The world will not be the same.

• We're going to change the world of Tyria.

• Twilight Assault coming next Tuesday with a permanent new explorable path for level 80, a tougher exploration

• Return of Caithe and other iconics

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    The "intricate stories" part gets me. Their quests and stories are about as intricate as a childrens picture book. I honestly wonder if they have professional writers as part of their team or not because it sure doesn't seem like it.

Smile

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    The "intricate stories" part gets me. Their quests and stories are about as intricate as a childrens picture book. I honestly wonder if they have professional writers as part of their team or not because it sure doesn't seem like it.

So true. Story and writing is so weak it gets a facepalm everytime. It's really elementary school level. And i don't buy the "Living World". Spawning random pirates in the world, destroying some buildings in LA and things of this nature doesn't make it a living world. It is called an ordinary good 'ol patch - which is expected of an mmo anyway- and nothing more. Nothing changes in the world, no changes or progression of the zones or other elements in accordance to story or something, for them to be going around shouting Liiiiviinnnggg Stooorrryyyy!!!! everytime they open their mouths, like it's some kind of unseen development in mmo history. Tbh, even wow seems much more like a living world at this point.

GW patches are weak imo (i don't care about pvp or wvw). They can brag about the frequency of it but from a gameplay standpoint i don't see any improvement and they don't add anything to the world. I don't care about their holiday events and things like SAB. They should be a side thing, fluff. Not the main point (i know there are different teams for these things). All they did is to make some QoL improvements and nothing more. Nothing about the core issues. Even then the LFG tool is added one year later and it's still not open to everyone. No improvements to character progression which you complete at lvl 20 and do the same things for the rest of the game, no improvements to dungeon running and/or team roles (having some kind of a role and teamwork doesn't mean embracing the trinity). Stuff like this makes me play a short while, find it pointless and then drop it again until some time later. Probably it's because i find most of the classes, armor designs and playzones not very thrilling too.

I know these has been said in one way or another before.

/rantover

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    black isle thats your opinion and you can have it. My opinion is the opposite that while i agree gw2 has it's 'issues' it's no way as bad as anything else out there right now, lotro/wow/FF included.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    wait a minute it says 800+ class skills, then a little lower 70 class skills.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

True.

Hearing anyone praising GW2 writing makes me truly wonder if they are taking crazy pills.

But anyway.

What they really have to do is give some sort of skill progression.

New skills , more skills.

Not just cosmetic items and bit stronger weapons.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Boy this game just really is not catered to gamers like me haha. Im glad so many people love it though and its doing really well. Its just a weird occurrence as a gamer when popular games come out like this one and I have absolutely no interest in it.

• WikileaksEUWikileaksEU Member UncommonPosts: 108
    It looks better and better in every update.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604

*PREFACE*

I am a fan of GW2!

However the 'intricate' story drove me from the game. :) As a hole the store is so week and badly written it leaves you a little numb. The 'living world' story is akin the typical plot on an original Cartoon channel cartoon.

There are other issues, but I could have gotten past them if GW2 would have had a more compelling story. Please ArenaNot, go back to your GW1 story telling roots. It was amazing and had me playing for nearly 3 years.

• RamadonisRamadonis Member Posts: 18

I really love this game but I hate all the "Living World" stuff they talk about. The world hasn't changed at all. Stuff has happened, events and what not. However, events are commonplace in this genre. It's like saying Elsword, or Dragon Nest are living worlds. 

So far, nothing has changed the face of Tyria. We've had a few events, and that was about it. No real changes to the world. I would love to see the drastic changes they keep hinting at, but I don't like the direction it seems to be heading in. Making Teq a raid...now adding a new path to a dungeon... How does this change the world?

• GettCoupedGettCouped Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by black_isle

So true. Story and writing is so weak it gets a facepalm everytime. It's really elementary school level. And i don't buy the "Living World". Spawning random pirates in the world, destroying some buildings in LA and things of this nature doesn't make it a living world. It is called an ordinary good 'ol patch - which is expected of an mmo anyway- and nothing more. Nothing changes in the world, no changes or progression of the zones or other elements in accordance to story or something, for them to be going around shouting Liiiiviinnnggg Stooorrryyyy!!!! everytime they open their mouths, like it's some kind of unseen development in mmo history. Tbh, even wow seems much more like a living world at this point.

GW patches are weak imo (i don't care about pvp or wvw). They can brag about the frequency of it but from a gameplay standpoint i don't see any improvement and they don't add anything to the world. I don't care about their holiday events and things like SAB. They should be a side thing, fluff. Not the main point (i know there are different teams for these things). All they did is to make some QoL improvements and nothing more. Nothing about the core issues. Even then the LFG tool is added one year later and it's still not open to everyone. No improvements to character progression which you complete at lvl 20 and do the same things for the rest of the game, no improvements to dungeon running and/or team roles (having some kind of a role and teamwork doesn't mean embracing the trinity). Stuff like this makes me play a short while, find it pointless and then drop it again until some time later. Probably it's because i find most of the classes, armor designs and playzones not very thrilling too.

/rantover

So releasing major content patches every two weeks is standard for an MMO today?  What planet do you live in?

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    We can all complain how we don't like parts of the game. But ANet then  looks at the statistics and apparently people keep playing the game and are coming back to it. So they basically say "Fu** Yo* whiners" and keep doing what they do. Ass annoying it might be actions speak louder than some random forum's guys.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by GettCouped

/rantover

So releasing major content patches every two weeks is standard for an MMO today?  What planet do you live in?

some of us don't consider what amounts to a holiday event every 2 weeks major content.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by muffins89

/rantover

some of us don't consider what amounts to a holiday event every 2 weeks major content.

You know it just comes down to the sheer fact that  it's content released and it's major to people and then not major to other people, like example past two updates are in their way major  especially to someone like me.

A lot of the two wek stuff comes four weeks for many MMORPGs.  Hell even 6 weeks. But eh well.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• keirionkeirion Member UncommonPosts: 51

/rantover

Some of us don't consider added wallet function, added wvw levels/skills, added achievement reward system, upgraded crafting (for 3 of 8 classes so far), lfg tool, guild mission system, fractals dungeon, etc. to be holiday events.

As far as "living world" goes so far there haven't been a ton of world changes but there have been a couple that are more clearly world changing.

* An island rose from the ocean

* One of the leader's of LA got killed and we voted in the replacement

But really if we have permanently world changing events happening every 2 weeks, it starts to get weird, especially when you don't count things like boss or dungeon revamps, so we're talking about map altering events. Yes I want more landmass, etc. but they are doing a lot.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by keirion

/rantover

Some of us don't consider added wallet function, added wvw levels/skills, added achievement reward system, upgraded crafting (for 3 of 8 classes so far), lfg tool, guild mission system, fractals dungeon, etc. to be holiday events.

As far as "living world" goes so far there haven't been a ton of world changes but there have been a couple that are more clearly world changing.

* An island rose from the ocean

* One of the leader's of LA got killed and we voted in the replacement

But really if we have permanently world changing events happening every 2 weeks, it starts to get weird, especially when you don't count things like boss or dungeon revamps, so we're talking about map altering events. Yes I want more landmass, etc. but they are doing a lot.

I say this a lot but it's good they are focusing on this now, so when they bring out landmass and such it'd be good and not much revision needed, example the world boss of a future zone can require a lot of people and give out sweet rewards like Tequatl, it's just really good they are testing stuff like this so they don't run into the same problems(most likely).

To be honest stuff what is done in future expansions like account wallets and what not.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I really wish they would ditch the living world direction and move to permanent content updates. Add more quality of life non-combat activities, add more PvP types (even if they don't use them for competitive PvP, they really need more scenarios than point capture) and they definitely need either a revamp of all dungeons or a bunch of new ones.

I do like what they did to Teq though. Gives me hope for the future of the game. WvW is evolving nicely too.