Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift PvP versus SWTOR PvP

BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46
I am currently playing Rift. I enjoyed the first few levels and then started to PvP at level 10. I know that in a Pug group, the game can be straight chaos...especially if the other group is more coordinated. What concerns me about Rift's PvP is that in the 10-19 and 20-29 PvP Warfronts, dps seems a stronger play than healing or cc, etc.. If anyone has played Rift and SWTOR, can you describe the differences between the 2 PvP systems? Is it pretty much like Rift at lower levels?

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I think the two games have a lot of similarities in PVP.  A group of all DPS will rip through a group of 50/50 support/dps.  The PVP in Rift is more mobile, a rogue can shoot while moving on some abilities but in ToR the ranged classes are usually rooted when attacking.  In ToR there are multiple objectives and the group splits up and goes off in different directions but in Rift I seem to remember the groups staying together and the battles to be focused and not small skirmishes all over the map.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Neither games have PvP worth playing. If you're interested in PvP, you're best off with a different game.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

DPS is always in the forefront as far as importance. It's how you kill your opponents and when they wanna kill you too, it's best to kill them harder.

That being said, I found the stuns and movement abilities were pretty important (granted I largely played huttball). Most classes being able to at least temporarily stun an opponent in some manner meant there was a lot of little instances of crowd controlling that tended to go on, and it went a pretty long way in changing the flow of skirmishes at times.

About the only time that is an inconsequential factor is when opponents zerg. Which, well, it's zerging. Fair to assume at least one spot on the map is always getting zerged.

EDIT: Following other people's comments, I would suggest playing something else for PvP too, but I dunno your references for game play.

I personally enjoy shooters immensely, and find Blacklight and Planetside 1 and 2 to be immensely enjoyable.

If shooters aren't your bag so much as the way those MMOs play, then I don't particularly have an alternative suggestion. Hope you enjoy whatever you pick.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    I think the two games have a lot of similarities in PVP.  A group of all DPS will rip through a group of 50/50 support/dps.  The PVP in Rift is more mobile, a rogue can shoot while moving on some abilities but in ToR the ranged classes are usually rooted when attacking.  In ToR there are multiple objectives and the group splits up and goes off in different directions but in Rift I seem to remember the groups staying together and the battles to be focused and not small skirmishes all over the map.

Does the PvP stay chaotic in SWTOR or does team play begin to take over? I know in Rift many players from my guild say they hotjoin PvP Warfronts...at least in the 40-49 range. That just tells me that it's still chaos, but people have better stats that do bigger numbers. 

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Neh, there's a lot of 'chicken with their heads cut off' moments in SWTOR too.

Or used to be. Maybe people have gotten more organized now.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by Deivos

DPS is always in the forefront as far as importance. It's how you kill your opponents and when they wanna kill you too, it's best to kill them harder.

That being said, I found the stuns and movement abilities were pretty important (granted I largely played huttball). Most classes being able to at least temporarily stun an opponent in some manner meant there was a lot of little instances of crowd controlling that tended to go on, and it went a pretty long way in changing the flow of skirmishes at times.

About the only time that is an inconsequential factor is when opponents zerg. Which, well, it's zerging. Fair to assume at least one spot on the map is always getting zerged.

EDIT: Following other people's comments, I would suggest playing something else for PvP too, but I dunno your references for game play.

I personally enjoy shooters immensely, and find Blacklight and Planetside 1 and 2 to be immensely enjoyable.

If shooters aren't your bag so much as the way those MMOs play, then I don't particularly have an alternative suggestion. Hope you enjoy whatever you pick.

Yeah, I'm PvP homeless at this point. I'm trying out Rift. Although the PvE is enjoyable, it's the PvP that will keep me in a game long term. I would have liked either game to do more than dps. To me, that encourages teams to learn how to work together...well maybe classes more than teams.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Bennu
    I am currently playing Rift. I enjoyed the first few levels and then started to PvP at level 10. I know that in a Pug group, the game can be straight chaos...especially if the other group is more coordinated. What concerns me about Rift's PvP is that in the 10-19 and 20-29 PvP Warfronts, dps seems a stronger play than healing or cc, etc.. If anyone has played Rift and SWTOR, can you describe the differences between the 2 PvP systems? Is it pretty much like Rift at lower levels?

No. Low level warzones on swtor are probably one of the best thing about the game.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Even though I left both games long time ago, SW:TOR's PvP is way better than anything in Rift.

My computer is better than yours.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Out of those two games I would definitely say SWTOR's pvp is better.

but as was pointed out by others, look at other non-mmorpg type games for good pvp, unless you are dead set on mmorpg pvp

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    If you want excellent PvP without the gear grind, starting on equal footing as soon as you log into the game, I'd advise to try GW2's sPvP. It's better than both Rift and SW:TOR. Gear is only a prestige thing, everyone is on equal footing, all that matters is your and your team's skill.

My computer is better than yours.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Both game's combats are modeled directly after WoW but neither game is close to as good in its execution.  

And it really shows in the PvP.  If you want this style of combat in PvP form, WoW is a much better choice. 

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

what is this thread? "battle of the bads?" for the title of not the shittiest pvp game?

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I was never really into the starwars games...accept the gungan frontier and that wasn't an MMO. And, as for Rift I only played it long enough to have figured out that it wasn't 'Rifts' made into an MMO...as soon as I discovered that I couldn't be a German mech suit pilot, with a compliment of dog-boy soldiers with laser rifles, I was out.