Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold Spamming

RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Hey,

So is anyone else about had it with the gold spammers? I mean they exist in a lot of games, but it seems that they are just running rampant in FF. I tried moving servers and it doesnt help and there is no point in black listing them because they just change their names. I also see nothing from SE trying to prevent them or make it easier for us to prevent them from spamming us to death.

I will give it some time, but if I don't see any type of reduction or at least tools for us to remove/block the spammers other then the current blacklist system then I may just leave entirely. I don't see why they can't add a add to black list option by right clicking the name of the spammer in chat. Better yet blacklist that entire account so the gold spammer is forced to use a new account instead of remaking a name. Anyone else had about enough yet?

Comments

• x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186
    Yes. I just got frustrated with reporting from general chat every 5 minutes, it completely interrupted my gaming so what I did was change Chat settings to remove /shout and /yell on the general tab. Any tells I still get I report right away.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by x3r0h
    Yes. I just got frustrated with reporting from general chat every 5 minutes, it completely interrupted my gaming so what I did was change Chat settings to remove /shout and /yell on the general tab. Any tells I still get I report right away.

I did exactly that, they are using different chat channels now. They are also privately messaging me now too. I have a FC chat channel and filter everything else out, but in all honesty I don't want to play my game that way just because the company refuses to do anything about spammers. 

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

I was watching a stream and the guy tried to blacklist a Gold spammer and he got the message, "this person is already on your Blacklist"

I can see how bad it is watching various streams too.  They don't just spam once.  It's like 3 full paragraphs in a row. It completely fills the chat window.

• x3r0hx3r0h Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by pmcubed

I was watching a stream and the guy tried to blacklist a Gold spammer and he got the message, "this person is already on your Blacklist"

I can see how bad it is watching various streams too.  They don't just spam once.  It's like 3 full paragraphs in a row. It completely fills the chat window.

COMPLETELY bad. People have given up hope on asking questions in general chat. The question is asked and no one has the ability to even see it because the gold spammers as you said spam 30 lines at a time.

Sense of community is totally lost in this basic of all qualities of a MMO. I recall the Barrens chat and how much I hated it, yet now coming into this type of general chat, I completely miss it.

They need to incorporate some coding where the player cannot send /tells, use chat function, etc, until a certain level.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Your pride, good sir, far exceeds your worth." -x3r0h

Oldest mmorpg.com member with the least amount of post counts. That counts for something, right?

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

What concerns me as well is how the gold spammers are affecting the market.

I am a crafter and live and breathe Ul'dah.

I buy my shards, the profit margin is still good to purchase them rather than farm them, but as of the last week or so, I have noticed literally 1 Retainer posting 5-8 listings of 2,000 shards.  The same guy also posts 1,000 shards.  The name of this Retainer? "Fun".

You tell me who has the time, or perhaps the patience, to mine roughly 15,000+ lightning shards?  They flood the market with these shards, and it is hard for me to believe that this is NOT a gold spammer.

Also - I notice the price of gold is slowly dropping.  Is this because no one is buying their gold?  (Last week they seemed to be spamming $6 for 100,000 gil.)  Now it seems (They are selling 1 million gil for $10).

How the fluck are they getting this much gil to sell?  And who is buying this spit to keep them in business?

I mean, I work hard every day on the market to get gil, and it is just so disheartening to see that some lazy schmuck can shell out a mere $10, less than I make in an hour, to get 1 million gil, which I haven't even reached yet.

---------

Then these gold buyers flood the market by buying/reselling at a lower price because they have excess gold to spend.  It then cuts into us honest crafter's profit because the lower the price of say "Twinthread" or "Felt" so much that you will be lucky to make 500-1000 gil on it.

And yes, of course the spamming is absolutely terrible.  I have never seen such terrible gold spamming.  It would be so much easier if I could justr ight click their name and ignorer.  But no, between the spamming of paragraphs, I have to correctly type/spell out (Ghdjakwuwu Oidsknanalo) in my black list.

Very very annoying and I fear it is ruining the game's economy.  (but then there are those who say that Gold is not being pumped into the market because gaining gil is so slow, but rather the Gil is just being recycled.)

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Wakygreek
    Originally posted by x3r0h

I did exactly that, they are using different chat channels now. They are also privately messaging me now too. I have a FC chat channel and filter everything else out, but in all honesty I don't want to play my game that way just because the company refuses to do anything about spammers. 

they are actully doing it it was 3 per zone almos tits down to 1 in most so yea

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Dragim

What concerns me as well is how the gold spammers are affecting the market.

I am a crafter and live and breathe Ul'dah.

I buy my shards, the profit margin is still good to purchase them rather than farm them, but as of the last week or so, I have noticed literally 1 Retainer posting 5-8 listings of 2,000 shards.  The same guy also posts 1,000 shards.  The name of this Retainer? "Fun".

You tell me who has the time, or perhaps the patience, to mine roughly 15,000+ lightning shards?  They flood the market with these shards, and it is hard for me to believe that this is NOT a gold spammer.

Also - I notice the price of gold is slowly dropping.  Is this because no one is buying their gold?  (Last week they seemed to be spamming $6 for 100,000 gil.)  Now it seems (They are selling 1 million gil for $10).

How the fluck are they getting this much gil to sell?  And who is buying this spit to keep them in business?

I mean, I work hard every day on the market to get gil, and it is just so disheartening to see that some lazy schmuck can shell out a mere $10, less than I make in an hour, to get 1 million gil, which I haven't even reached yet.

---------

Then these gold buyers flood the market by buying/reselling at a lower price because they have excess gold to spend.  It then cuts into us honest crafter's profit because the lower the price of say "Twinthread" or "Felt" so much that you will be lucky to make 500-1000 gil on it.

And yes, of course the spamming is absolutely terrible.  I have never seen such terrible gold spamming.  It would be so much easier if I could justr ight click their name and ignorer.  But no, between the spamming of paragraphs, I have to correctly type/spell out (Ghdjakwuwu Oidsknanalo) in my black list.

Very very annoying and I fear it is ruining the game's economy.  (but then there are those who say that Gold is not being pumped into the market because gaining gil is so slow, but rather the Gil is just being recycled.)

there brignign otu a patch to make it easyer to report them so it probly inc ludes the right click

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Gold spam is way down from it's peak.  Most of what I see now is via whispers.

It's very easy to blist, just right click -> tell, copy/paste into social blacklist.

I wonder what the breaking point would be? I usually give games a chance by giving a month or two. However I am getting very frustrated at how fast the gold spammers are impacting this game. I may just play the free month and then wait on subbing until I see some sort of update.
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Make a macro:

/blacklist add <r>

Won't help with the shout spam, but if they whisper you, clicking that will blacklist whoever last sent you a tell.   Still have to click the yes/no popup box but it's pretty fast.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

you can also block tells by going to the social window and changing your online search status to busy. be aware though that this blocks ALL tells.

the spammer are using the search tool.. i wish there was a way to go anon and hide from the tool image

Originally posted by Alamareth

It's very easy to blist, just right click -> tell, copy/paste into social blacklist.

On Siren the spamming is very bad. There is usually 1 to 3 spammers in general chat shouting 3 paragraphs or so at a time. Then there is the yellow chat (which im not sure which chat that is from) then there is private messages. Sure you can blacklist them but that is only a temporary solution and they still end up impacting the game in the long run.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

On Siren the spamming is very bad. There is usually 1 to 3 spammers in general chat shouting 3 paragraphs or so at a time. Then there is the yellow chat (which im not sure which chat that is from) then there is private messages. Sure you can blacklist them but that is only a temporary solution and they still end up impacting the game in the long run.

I'm assuming this in Limsa Lominsa / Gridania / Ul'Dah?  Out in the world it should be near zero.

Yellow is yell, pink is whisper.

Just right click -> tell, and you can easily copy paste into blacklist regardless of how many ppl are spamming.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

If you get a /tell from one, just use the command /blist add <r>, will automatically add the last person to send you a /tell to your blacklist.

It's gotten better (usually only 1-2 per major city zone now), but it should be nonexistent. C'mon Square, just have one of your GMs keep an eye on city chat during their shift to banhammer any spammers they see.

Not that difficult.

yeah they /shout /yell(the yellow text) and /tell

i have over 50 on my blacklist so far. Ive started seeing a lot more plausible named spammers lately which Im assuming are hacked account. most of the time they are named  Sdwfe  Jhufiomfuyg or some such nonsense

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The goldsellers are not amateurs, they are professionals who farm, hack and exploit in almost every major MMO, regardless if it's P2P or F2P or B2P. As long as there are buyers, they'll keep on offering more.

Obviously, there are plenty of players who continuously buy their product, otherwise they'd have stopped ages ago. 

Close to launch is their best sales opportunity, because there are plenty of new players who all want everything instantly. So they spam and message relentlessly. 

I have a filtered tab for FC chat, and a macro that allows me to instantly blacklist anyone who sends me a whisper with just 2 mouseclicks. So I have reduced my irritation levels substantially.

Originally posted by TribeofOne

i have over 50 on my blacklist so far. Ive started seeing a lot more plausible named spammers lately which Im assuming are hacked account. most of the time they are named  Sdwfe  Jhufiomfuyg or some such nonsense

I think your right, there are some more plausible names spamming which also leads me to assume these are hacked accounts. I know someone in my FC was hacked and then SE sent an email to me saying I was acting suspiciously and my account was locked, however I logged in just fine which makes me think that there was a leak within SE because they have my email somehow sending my phishing attempts. I may make a macro, I just don't want to burden myself with working to play.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I think your right, there are some more plausible names spamming which also leads me to assume these are hacked accounts. I know someone in my FC was hacked and then SE sent an email to me saying I was acting suspiciously and my account was locked, however I logged in just fine which makes me think that there was a leak within SE because they have my email somehow sending my phishing attempts. I may make a macro, I just don't want to burden myself with working to play.

What ?

You claim SE sent YOU a mail saying that "you were acting suspiciously and your account was locked" ?

I sure hope you didn't click any links in that email...

Does your FC have a website ? If so, did you use the same email for the FC registration as you did for SE ? Just wondering, seeing as someone in your FC got hacked already, the attack may be coming from a place you'd never suspect...

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    So much for "we won't have to deal with F2P gold spam garbage in P2P MMO".
  • Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49

I'm assuming this in Limsa Lominsa / Gridania / Ul'Dah?  Out in the world it should be near zero.

Yellow is yell, pink is whisper.

Just right click -> tell, and you can easily copy paste into blacklist regardless of how many ppl are spamming.

On Siren, there seems to be 1-3 spammers per city zone. It is a sad fact that within 10 minutes of logging on, I've had to blacklist 6 people.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

the gold spamming is being dealt with, you don't have to just 'blacklist' people now, you can report them, you just have to copy paste the message into the text box when reporting (ctrl+c for copy and ctrl+v for paste on windows systems) the good thing is the gold spammers are having their accounts banned, and as there arent any free accounts, this can only be a good thing. Of course we're going to see a brief influx of complaints from people with possibly dodgy english complaining about their accounts being closed on them in various forums image

so far i've reported 2 people, as SE reply to your message when you report people, you have a pretty fair idea how long it takes them to close those accounts image

Originally posted by Phry

the gold spamming is being dealt with, you don't have to just 'blacklist' people now, you can report them, you just have to copy paste the message into the text box when reporting (ctrl+c for copy and ctrl+v for paste on windows systems) the good thing is the gold spammers are having their accounts banned, and as there arent any free accounts, this can only be a good thing. Of course we're going to see a brief influx of complaints from people with possibly dodgy english complaining about their accounts being closed on them in various forums image

so far i've reported 2 people, as SE reply to your message when you report people, you have a pretty fair idea how long it takes them to close those accounts image

SE replies to your reports? Ive report at least 2 dozen gil sellers and have never received a reply

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    So much for "we won't have to deal with F2P gold spam garbage in P2P MMO".

I think it is unrealistic to assume that you will not get gold spamming just because it is P2P, I am just surprised at how bad it is in comparison. WoW used to be much worse but it has gotten a lot better. Even F2P games have put in restrictions like level 10 to chat etc. The Ban Hammer cannot come fast enough.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Phry

SE replies to your reports? Ive report at least 2 dozen gil sellers and have never received a reply

i only found out today that there was a specific way of reporting gold spammers, but yes, both reports were replied to within about 30 mins.. could be its  a new thing, but they seem pretty keen image

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Over the past few days, I have only gotten RMT tells, and only seldomly, which promptly get reported and blacklisted on my end. It has gotten way better than it was when the game launched and over the next few weeks afterwards.