Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you treat a newb?

Comments

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

as long as they walk 3 paces behind and to the right, as long as they do not make direct eye contact or speak directly to me then Im fine with newbs.

i kid.

i ran into a newb today while playing FF14. I came across this guy fighting 3 or 4 mobs and he was clearly losing and about to die. So I healed him several times from the brink and threw a couple of dots on the mobs to help him along. when he finally killed all the mobs he said not a word and just ran off; which pissed me a little. So i sent him a /tell that said you're welcome, he replied I didnt ask you to heal me so i dont have to thank you. At which point I blacklisted him and hope to never cross his path again.

that type of newb/asshat whatever term you prefer i cant stand.

Why respond at all? What do you get out of it?

I'm sorry but what? i dont get what youre asking.

What benefit to you get out of responding to someone who ignores you? Does it make you feel better?

Think about your story for a second. YOU helped him. He didn't ask for help and now you expect him to be grateful? That seems pretty self-absorbed to me.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

I slowly garner their trust through small acts of generosity & kindness.

Then I ask them to do me a huge favor & loan me all their in game currency.

Then I transfer my character to a different server & change my name.

They usually get the message after that.

LOL!!!  One of the funniest responses I ever read.

If I can, I help anyone who asks for it, especially if they are a cute character.  image

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    I try to help them best I can. Sometimes I am too lazy so I just ignore them. :P

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

dear filthy newb masses:

theres this thing called google/bing, its a search enginer for the internet.  use it.

if the all knowing god known as the internet doesnt know, only then should you ask in game, but do not ask in general.

ask your guild, ask your friends, if they dont know, submit a ticket to ask the game masters.

asking general is never to be done.  because all you are asking for is to be descended upon by the troll masses, and fire will not drive them back.  you have been warned.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

as long as they walk 3 paces behind and to the right, as long as they do not make direct eye contact or speak directly to me then Im fine with newbs.

i kid.

i ran into a newb today while playing FF14. I came across this guy fighting 3 or 4 mobs and he was clearly losing and about to die. So I healed him several times from the brink and threw a couple of dots on the mobs to help him along. when he finally killed all the mobs he said not a word and just ran off; which pissed me a little. So i sent him a /tell that said you're welcome, he replied I didnt ask you to heal me so i dont have to thank you. At which point I blacklisted him and hope to never cross his path again.

What benefit to you get out of responding to someone who ignores you? Does it make you feel better?

Think about your story for a second. YOU helped him. He didn't ask for help and now you expect him to be grateful? That seems pretty self-absorbed to me.

I guess common courtesy really is a dying practice.

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

i kid.

Or more people with an anti-social disorder are taking to playing MMORPG's (that is not sarcasm, but a serious remark...it is entirely possible).

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Demanding gratitude is about as sensible as shirking someone off. Both ends of the spectrum is inhabited by people who are less concerned with being nice and more concerned with how it makes them feel.

As far as the subject goes. I am not an exceptionally social person. I'll answer a question if I know the answer in a game, but most of the time I leave the conversing up to other people as they are more apt to like talking as well as I do actually trust other people to know the specifics of a game better than I tend to (I prefer knowing how a game works on a mechanical level rather than knowing the semantics of the numbers on a skill, which makes me less suited to answering player questions than technical ones).

People that actively argue against one another tends to bother me more. Braggarts, gigolos, and the ones that obsessively have to stand on top of others pretty much all bug me considerably more immensely. The only comparable type from the 'noob' crowd would be the ones that pretty much refuse to learn the game they are playing.

So all in all I'll behave pretty passively towards them as I do anyone else. I'll help another person out and scuttle on my way with zero fanfare, I'll sometimes group up to tackle something that's tougher then wander off after, etc.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

i kid.

If he was being courteous he would have asked if the person needed help first. You have no idea why a player is doing something in a game. It's a little presumptuous to assume they want your help. Let me explain. 

A few few weeks ago I was in-game working on a quest. I had worked my way to the boss I needed to kill and started my long journey back to turn it in. I realized that it was going to take a while since most of the mobs had respawned. I also realized that if I died, then I would resurrect much closer to the quest hub and shorten my trek back. I engaged a mob and just stood there, waiting yo die...

...until someone came by and one-shotted the mob who was doing exactly what I wanted him to do.  On to the next mob.

I'm sure he thought he was helping, but if you think for a second that I should thank him for "helping" then you thought wrong. If he would have simply asked before making an assumption, then I would have politely said no and both of us could have moved on without incident. Instead, he probably thought I was an ungrateful bastard and I thought he was a jerk. 

I classify people who give unsolicited help in the same category with people who send group and guild invites without asking. 

i kid.

If he was being courteous he would have asked if the person needed help first. You have no idea why a player is doing something in a game. It's a little presumptuous to assume they want your help. Let me explain. 

A few few weeks ago I was in-game working on a quest. I had worked my way to the boss I needed to kill and started my long journey back to turn it in. I realized that it was going to take a while since most of the mobs had respawned. I also realized that if I died, then I would resurrect much closer to the quest hub and shorten my trek back. I engaged a mob and just stood there, waiting yo die...

...until someone came by and one-shotted the mob who was doing exactly what I wanted him to do.  On to the next mob.

I'm sure he thought he was helping, but if you think for a second that I should thank him for "helping" then you thought wrong. If he would have simply asked before making an assumption, then I would have politely said no and both of us could have moved on without incident. Instead, he probably thought I was an ungrateful bastard and I thought he was a jerk. 

I classify people who give unsolicited help in the same category with people who send group and guild invites without asking. 

wow.  you could just have easily said "let me die"

I hope you are never unconscious in a burning house or bleeding to death in a mangled car. God forbid someone help you without your express consent.

i kid.

I hope you are never unconscious in a burning house or bleeding to death in a mangled car. God forbid someone help you without your express consent.

Games are not real life. I know...shocking.

i kid.

so you are ok with unsolicited help in real life just not in games?

i kid.

Yes, because in real life you can see the person and determine a lot of information from the situation and their body language. All of that goes into deciding if a person needs help. Also, things like dying have consequences in real life.

Dying in a game has no consequences.

The fact that you are having trouble separating how a person should act in a game from how they should act in real life is pretty alarming.

i kid.

Yes, because in real life you can see the person and determine a lot of information from the situation and their body language. All of that goes into deciding if a person needs help. Also, things like dying have consequences in real life.

The fact that you are having trouble separating how a person should act in a game from how they should act in real life is pretty alarming.

I bet you wouldnt thank the fireman that pulls your unconscious body out of a burning building because you  didnt ask them to and why should you thank them for doing their job? right?

okay Im done with this thread.

We are going to have to just agree to disagree on what is appropriate behavior and whether being good Samaritan and a decent person is bad etiquette in an online setting.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

If there is a question about an unintuitive UI, chances are good it has been asked before, and chances are very good the answer is on the forums for that game or somewhere easy to find on the internet.  Personally, I get tired of seeing the same question asked repeatedly and I start ignoring the questions when the answer is easy to find with a little bit of searching.  I only ever ask a question in general chat after a reasonable search.

That said, I do help new players when it isn't quite so obvious.  For example, finding an effective character build in some games can be a tricky task.  Rift, for example, has a few builds which are very effective and a lot of builds which can be ineffective in group situations.  I generally discuss with the player what an effective build uses, then direct them to a web site or forum page where they can learn more and see what others are using.

I bet you wouldnt thank the fireman that pulls your unconscious body out of a burning building because you  didnt ask them to and why should you thank them for doing their job? right?

We are going to have to just agree to disagree on what is appropriate behavior and whether being good Samaritan and a decent person is bad etiquette in an online setting.

Agreed, but please stop with the lame real world examples.

fantasy over here <-------------------------------------------------> reality over here

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Agreed, but please stop with the lame real world examples.

fantasy over here <-------------------------------------------------> reality over here

Actually, people who stop to help even in an anonymous place like a video game on the Internet, where no life is in danger and help is not really critical, when they are not forced to, are most certainly nice people in real life too.

Just like people who behave like asshats as soon as they are behind a computer screen are most likely asshats in real life too, or cowards who use the net to vent their real life frustrations because they are too afraid of real life consequences for similar actions.

My computer is better than yours.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Krematory
    Newbies are awesome! They are generaly full of energy and enthusiasm, and they're are beneficial (if not absolutely necessary) for the long term viability of a game. Treat them with love and respect and your game will benefit because of it :D

This 100%

And i really find alot of the replies here lame. Everyone was a newbie at one time. Even if the question seems dumb to you there's no reason to treat someone like crap. This is what wow has done to the genre. Once mmo's went mainstream the community in them went down the toilet.

Originally posted by Hariken
    Newbies are awesome! They are generaly full of energy and enthusiasm, and they're are beneficial (if not absolutely necessary) for the long term viability of a game. Treat them with love and respect and your game will benefit because of it :D

This 100%

And i really find alot of the replies here lame. Everyone was a newbie at one time. Even if the question seems dumb to you there's no reason to treat someone like crap. This is what wow has done to the genre. Once mmo's went mainstream the community in them went down the toilet.

WoW didn't do it, there are just more people in WoW so it's more common. There were a lot of asshats in UO...it's just that the rose-colored glasses tend to filter them out when UO vets are waxing poetic about the good old days.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Hariken

This 100%

WoW didn't do it, there are just more people in WoW so it's more common. There were a lot of asshats in UO...it's just that the rose-colored glasses tend to filter them out when UO vets are waxing poetic about the good old days.

LOL yeah I agree.  At least in WoW the asshats couldn't rob you blind of your starting gold in a city, and then murder you when you get out of the town limits.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Have you never stood near a person in game and watched them struggle, and eventually die, only to have them send you a tell saying, "for F..ks sake, why didn' t you help me?"

Has happened to me on more than one occasion, and as you mentioned, unsolicited help has been met with withering criticism as well. 

These days I basically just run on by and pretend I didn't see them, besides, in modern day MMO's rarely are people really over their head and the penalties for dying so minimal there's no real incentive to assist. 

But those of us from an earlier age, we have a hard time letting go of the courtesies of the past.  I'm currently playing an old school version of a MMO where death is a pain in the butt, and people do help out much more and its still appreciated.

But at the end of the day, it never hurts to be courteous to others, even if their well intentioned help was not really welcome.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

New players are fine and normal and I will gladly give them advice if they want it.

But depending on what is meant by newb/noob/nub/scrubbingbubbles it might not be a new players, it might just be an idiot.

Nothing worse than seeing someone who is inexplicably well geared or has spent a fairly large amount of time playing the game asking or doing something stupid.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Rusque

New players are fine and normal and I will gladly give them advice if they want it.

But depending on what is meant by newb/noob/nub/scrubbingbubbles it might not be a new players, it might just be an idiot.

Nothing worse than seeing someone who is inexplicably well geared or has spent a fairly large amount of time playing the game asking or doing something stupid.

I do a much simpler thing. I ignore everyone who is asking questions.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Rusque

I do a much simpler thing. I ignore everyone who is asking questions.

But then, we would be surprised if you didn't manage to post some new antisocial provocation, Nariu ;-)

My computer is better than yours.

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    My choice: answer and leave it be. DIfferent players have different approaches to the game. Why should I be the judge?
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I pity the noob.

People look at them and see nothing to gain.