Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valve/nvidia develop next gaming platform with steamOS slap in face for AMD users?

ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

I just read a tech report on dutch site that steamOS will be optimized for nvidia users WTF?

Can anybody explain me if i understand this wrong or is the industry this dumb and not neutral?

I know its all about money that counts but if eventually only nvidia left for gamers thats also very bad for us gamers no choice seems insanely stupid in long run.

I think gaming industry should always embrace both AMD and NVIDIA nomatter what i know this is not the case for years amny games which i btw boycot for years now that have nvidia logo on it and is ment to be played with nvidia card i dont buy.

But valves plan is eventually if it succeed dismise whole MS OS as gaming platform(MS helping them with win8 btw:P) and in future we have almost no choice but going steamOS but they are OPTIMIZED FOR NVIDIA so in other words screw you AMD users you eather go nvidia or leave we don't care.

Is there any truth in this what im saying here?

I love abandon MS and go steamOS but if its nvidia main support and AMD users again have no optimized games for there cards on steam hardware ill boycot steam also.

Your views on this guys?

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Its only that Nvidia didnt have proper Linux drivers. And now since Valve is behind they are shifting gear to privide good drivers.

Thats all what this news means.

Sorry, in this day and age of marketing double talk, you sometime need to read between lines.

ps

I think AMD is slowly backing down from gfx competition.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325
    If valve does optimize for nvidia only, then I will dump steam. Proprietary nonsense will ruin PC gaming...
  • ChrispyChrisChrispyChris Member Posts: 27

Read this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2049369/amd-nvidia-ramp-up-linux-driver-support-after-valves-steamos-announcement.html

AMD did it before NVidia did - it looks to me like it's the other way around, and NVidia are playing catch up at the moment.

Edit: To clarify - It's not SteamOS that is being optimized for NVidia/AMD. NVidia/AMD devs are making sure that no matter which card is in the box that runs SteamOS, it'll run crazy good. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ChrispyChris
    Read this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2049369/amd-nvidia-ramp-up-linux-driver-support-after-valves-steamos-announcement.html AMD did it before NVidia did - it looks to me like it's the other way around, and NVidia are playing catch up at the moment. Edit: To clarify - It's not SteamOS that is being optimized for NVidia/AMD. NVidia/AMD devs are making sure that no matter which card is in the box that runs SteamOS, it'll run crazy good. 

This fits with their third tier of the Steam Machine too, where the specs are whatever the player can afford to buy. No point in having such an open ended spec if you're going to limit the optimization to Nvidia.

Now, their $300 console at tier 2 might be optimized for Intel/Nvidia, but that's because it's a console and they have to pick 1 architecture as a target to make it worthwhile. But we really don't know the specs for their console yet. It has to be pretty cheap. So while Intel/Nvidia can stomp all over AMD for performance they may not be able to do it on the budget that Valve has in mind.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Almost every single game has this claim somewhere.  Whichever company provides hardware for development or whatever gets their logo and "optimized for".  This is not new and typically doesn't mean much.

Also, I have gone back and forth between Nvidia and AMD depending on the time I purchase a card.  You would "drop steam" because the thought of EVER using an NVidia card makes you that upset?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    nvidia is making the better gfx cards anyway

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by g0m0rrah
    If valve does optimize for nvidia only, then I will dump steam. Proprietary nonsense will ruin PC gaming...

which is pretty much what Steam have been saying about windows 8, which is why their developing their own OS, which will undoubtedly be used on their 'steam box.' That its optimised for nvidia is just something that happens when consoles come with a particular type of GPU, it has nothing to do with PC's in any shape or form, Unless of course your intending to ditch your current OS and get Steams OS when its released, which at the end of the day is just another variety of Linux, much the same as Ubuntu is.image

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Valve will optimize it for any significant graphics vendor willing to work with them.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    It's just healthy competition.. Some developers go with Nvidia, and others with AMD, that doesn't mean the company thats not directly supported wont make drivers that work.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    "Optimized" and "compatible" are vastly different, and I think the OP is getting far too dramatic over what seems to be a misunderstanding.  If the SteamOS is optimized for nvidia, I expect slightly better framerates from nvidia cards, but likely not by more than a 10% difference.  However, I don't think this will be the case.  Individual game engines are far more likely to be optimized for a graphics card than an OS is.  What the OP is doing would be like complaining about Windows being optimized for AMD.  I just used that as an example.

Originally posted by Quizzical
    Valve will optimize it for any significant graphics vendor willing to work with them.

I like to imagine Intel GMA parts that don't suck in this scenario. :-)

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Both my desktop and my laptop have AMD GPUs, couldn't care less about it because AMD hardware runs decently on Linux based operating systems anyway so if I ever find myself compelled to switch to SteamOS I wouldn't really be taking much of a hit.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

ps

Considering their aggressive presentation of Mantle yesterday, I think you are wrong.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Classicstar

I just read a tech report on dutch site that steamOS will be optimized for nvidia users WTF?

Can anybody explain me if i understand this wrong or is the industry this dumb and not neutral?

I know its all about money that counts but if eventually only nvidia left for gamers thats also very bad for us gamers no choice seems insanely stupid in long run.

I think gaming industry should always embrace both AMD and NVIDIA nomatter what i know this is not the case for years amny games which i btw boycot for years now that have nvidia logo on it and is ment to be played with nvidia card i dont buy.

But valves plan is eventually if it succeed dismise whole MS OS as gaming platform(MS helping them with win8 btw:P) and in future we have almost no choice but going steamOS but they are OPTIMIZED FOR NVIDIA so in other words screw you AMD users you eather go nvidia or leave we don't care.

I love abandon MS and go steamOS but if its nvidia main support and AMD users again have no optimized games for there cards on steam hardware ill boycot steam also.

Your views on this guys?

Do you boycott consoles?

You do know they only use AMD gpu's. So I don't think that developer's are neglecting AMD.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I actually think it would be smart for Valve.

Linux has pretty poor graphics drivers - from Intel, from nVidia, and from AMD. In large part it's because there is no stable core, and Open Source just can't keep up with the proprietary nature of the cards.

So, Valve has to do something about that if they want to push it as a major gaming platform.

You aren't going to do a lot of serious gaming on Intel graphics, or any of the other options that aren't nVidia/AMD, so let's take those off the table.

So now your looking at either writing optimized drivers yourself, for 2 platforms, or doing something to get the GPU manufacturers to put out better drivers - either via advertising or exclusivity or something.

Looks like Valve is offering nVidia some measure of exclusivity in exchange for good video drivers for SteamOS.

I can totally understand that. The cost of trying to develop your own driver would be very high. So high that to date, only one manufacturer really does it (Apple), and even they are pretty slow with putting out updates or supporting new cards. Microsoft doesn't even write their own optimized drivers; they just have GPU manufacturers do it because they are the 800lb gorilla.

Giving half-assed performance will kill a gaming platform. Having good video drivers is essential. If your given the choice of trying to do it yourself (while still providing the OS as "Free"), or having one of the GPU manufacturers (who may be feeling a bit slighted at being picked for 0 of the next gen consoles) say they will do it for you if you just don't write an optimized driver for the other guy.. then it's a no brainer.

It's not like you get a choice of GPUs in a console anyway.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I imagine there's a somewhat lower barrier to entry with Nvidia into a Linux based OS since they recently launched the Shield using their hardware on Android for a theoretically high-end handheld gaming platform.

Which, y'know, means they've been putting in effort to run their hardware on a Linux based OS.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

SteamOS is developed using steam. AMD does not even have graphics drivers for Linux. Its not like Valve is really picking and choosing. AMD is simply not an option.

Now if you want a big Fuck You. AMD just did that this week since they control all 3 major consoles and released their open source API to use GCN graphics cards directly. So as a developer I can develop for all 3 consoles simultaneously without having to use DirectX and OpenGL.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Classicstar

They are not dumb, they are smart. business is about making money.

Your views on this guys?

What do we have if they succeed? Basically the same as what windows is trying to do.
    A closed operating system where you buy your games through a operating system store.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Cleffy
    SteamOS is developed using steam. AMD does not even have graphics drivers for Linux.

Yes they do.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Cleffy
    SteamOS is developed using steam. AMD does not even have graphics drivers for Linux.

Yes they do.

AMD even has open source drivers for linux.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Its only that Nvidia didnt have proper Linux drivers. And now since Valve is behind they are shifting gear to privide good drivers.

Thats all what this news means.

Sorry, in this day and age of marketing double talk, you sometime need to read between lines.

ps

Where did you ever get the idea that Nvidia didn't have proper linux drivers?  From a desktop perspective Nvidia proprietary drivers work much better than AMD.  When running AMD proprietary drivers you usually have to hold back catalyst or xorg updates much more often than Nvidia.  The only area that was Nvidia's weak point was Optimus, and even there the community furnished Bumblebee and Primus.  Nvidia is now correcting the issue (I like to think due to comments made by Torvalds).  But the point is Nvidia keeps the proprietary driver updated really well. The open source drivers for both work well for 2d and the AMD is fairly well with 3d, but not nearly good enough for gaming. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Both XBOne and PS4 will be using AMD video cards, which is why NVidia has been on the "consoles are inferior" train lately and is hopping on the SteamOS platform. On the other hand, AMD wants next-gen consoles to succeed, so they're pushing in the opposite direction.

Nothing has changed, really. PC games are still prettier, consoles are still cheaper and both GPU manufacturers will try to release good Linux drivers if it becomes a notable gaming platform.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

What do you people don't understand about the SteamOS-thingy? You won't be able to play the games on a machine with SteamOS, but you'll need a Windows gaming rig in addition. The machine running SteamOS is only a client.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Yalexy

What do you people don't understand about the SteamOS-thingy? You won't be able to play the games on a machine with SteamOS, but you'll need a Windows gaming rig in addition. The machine running SteamOS is only a client.

No, it can both run games natively and stream Windows games. From the official site:

"Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014."

Originally posted by Yalexy

You've not read the information available, or you've misunderstood what's going one.

There are three tiers to their initiative.

Tier 1 : A streaming box, which allows you to stream games from a desktop machine. The client machine will run Steam, but it could be running Steam on SteamOS/Linux, or Windows. This is the $99 option.

Tier 2 : A gaming console, running SteamOS. Games will download, install and execute on the console. Another machine is not needed. This is the $300 option.

Tier 3 : Players or other manufacturers can build machines with any specifications they want, that runs the SteamOS. Games will download, install and execute on that machine. This is probably going to be the most expensive option, because people can put whatever hardware they want in there, as long as the hardware manufacturers have Linux device drivers. It's looking like both AMD and Nvidia are going to beef up their Linux support, possibly because Valve is focusing on Linux gaming.