Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I finally tried this game...

And all I can say is it is freaking AWESOME!

I have been looking for a real MMO for a long time now and this seems to be the most complete MMO I have played in a while.. Combat is awesome, I like the crafting system, Companions are wonderful, Cut scenes and the story is AMAZING!  I could go on and on... 

I bought into all the negative hype behind this game and that is why I have not tried it sooner.. Really wish they had a limited trial of this game sooner so I could have seen for myself...

Anyways on to my point... What exactly is wrong with this game?  I look around and it doesn't really have anywhere near the amount of people running around that Rift, GW2 or the new Final Fantasy has.  I know the last two are pretty new but IMO this game is superior to all of them.

Is this another case where a wonderful game had a poor launch and people just tossed it away due to that?  Ala Anarchy Online back in the day?  Or is there really something that I haven't seen yet, something major, that is wrong with this game?

------------------------------
You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

Comments

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Glad you are enjoying it.  I had heard that the F2P design of the game was one of the most limited types anywhere.  So I've avoided it.  Are you paying for the game or just going F2P ? 

In any case I won't tell you about the problems people such as myself saw in the game in the beginning. 

I will offer one point of advice.  One of the worst things you can do when enjoying a game as much as you seem to be, is do what you just got done doing.  Going on a gaming forum and asking people what's wrong with it.  Even reading a forum can sometimes sour the experience as you might suddenly start noticing things wrong that you would have been happily oblivious to previously. 

You might find out wonderful things regarding the game you might have never noticed, but I promise you, that people will reveal problems that might end up irking you after you realize they exist.  It's a double edged sword, and when I'm loving a game I always cautiously visit forums on it.  I want to be happy.  I want to enjoy it.  Ignorance is bliss. 

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Yeah, I would 2nd Corehaven's suggestion and avoid all gaming forums. At the very least avoid the ones dedicated for this game.

Nothing is more soul crushing for game enjoyment than internet forums.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Glad you are enjoying it.  I had heard that the F2P design of the game was one of the most limited types anywhere.  So I've avoided it.  Are you paying for the game or just going F2P ? 

In any case I won't tell you about the problems people such as myself saw in the game in the beginning. 

I will offer one point of advice.  One of the worst things you can do when enjoying a game as much as you seem to be, is do what you just got done doing.  Going on a gaming forum and asking people what's wrong with it.  Even reading a forum can sometimes sour the experience as you might suddenly start noticing things wrong that you would have been happily oblivious to previously. 

You might find out wonderful things regarding the game you might have never noticed, but I promise you, that people will reveal problems that might end up irking you after you realize they exist.  It's a double edged sword, and when I'm loving a game I always cautiously visit forums on it.  I want to be happy.  I want to enjoy it.  Ignorance is bliss. 

I loved it so much that after the first 8 hours I subscribed.

I want to be irked lol.  Save my self the time and money so to speak.  I rather someone tell me what I might be getting myself into rather then letting me get there and find out.  I am not going to just give up on the game because people say this and that is wrong with it.  All games have issues and these might be some "issues" I am willing to over look. But then again they might be a deal breaker for me as well.  So I would like to hear them so I can come to my own conclusions.

So by all means I'm a big boy, please let me know some of the issues that this game has.  I really would like to know.  Because to me it seems like this should have been the WOW killer, yet it didn't even come close.

BTW I have already ran into the technical issues.. Good lord!  I had to disable microsoft essentials and delete a file inthe SWTOR program file just to get it to load the game.. That is not a good look Bioward on people wanting to play your game...But other then that I LOVE THIS GAME.

You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

The main issue I had with it is that the content gets pretty repetitive if you try to play, say, 2 Imperial characters back to back. If you're going to roll a second character, pick an opposite faction...then just alternate back and forth.

Also, depending on how fast you play, you might burn through the content quickly. I played rather conservatively and leveled 2 1/2 characters in about a year.  Others who burn through content have been able to level way faster than me.

Some also claim that there isn't much end game. But I don't raid or any such thing, so I never had a problem with end game.

I do agree with you, it is an underrated game. 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Most players enjoyed the game for the first few months. The issues start when you reach the level cap, which is when you realise that the journey was better than the destination. The bottom line is that once you get past the leveling story, you are left with a pretty shallow game with worse monetisation than all the other games you listed.

There are definitely gems within this game, the story, huttball and some of the raids were very entertaining. But there really needs to be more to do in the endgame. It just wasnt very satisfying.

So my advice is just to enjoy it while it has that new game feel. Once it wears off its hard to get back.

So yeah, the reason it isnt doing that well, aside from the launch teething issues (Ilum, poor performance etc), are due to staying power and poor monetisation. The whole F2P model just reeks of desperation and greed. Also they have a habit of screwing over previous / existing players in favour of new ones, which leaves a bad taste in their mouth.  

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Originally posted by evilastro

Most players enjoyed the game for the first few months. The issues start when you reach the level cap, which is when you realise that the journey was better than the destination. The bottom line is that once you get past the leveling story, you are left with a pretty shallow game with worse monetisation than all the other games you listed.

There are definitely gems within this game, the story, huttball and some of the raids were very entertaining. But there really needs to be more to do in the endgame. It just wasnt very satisfying.

So my advice is just to enjoy it while it has that new game feel. Once it wears off its hard to get back.

So yeah, the reason it isnt doing that well, aside from the launch teething issues (Ilum, poor performance etc), are due to staying power and poor monetisation. The whole F2P model just reeks of desperation and greed. Also they have a habit of screwing over previous / existing players in favour of new ones, which leaves a bad taste in their mouth.  

This does a good job of summing it up, for me at least.

Your experience is your own, so rather than list my problems with the game, I am merely just going to ask you to revisit this thread 6 months from your OP and reflect on your experience and your feelings at that time.

• VolmokVolmok Member UncommonPosts: 64

What I can say is that this game had the best experience in leveling that I have had in a long time.

Here is what I enjoyed a lot in this game:

• class story was awesome. I played a trooper and thought the story was good; in fact I liked it so much that I started a smuggler and leveled it only for the story and I am not so much into alts. From what I hear the Jedi story is bad, but if I ever plan to level one I will just run through the scenes and missions.
    • I like the concept of companions and the possibility of improving the relationship with them by offering gifts and choosing certain conversational options.
    • I like the idea to have companions to crafting missions and let you explore the planets and do quests
    • I like the Huttball game a lot. Many player will tell you that it is crap, but if you end up in a balanced game you will have fun ;)
    • it is Star Wars lore, which I find awesome, but I am a nerd so it might not count
    • it is sci-fi MMORPG which are so rare, with the exception of the asian ones where I feel like a creep when I play.
    • Scenarios (battlegrounds) while leveling can e very fun. Just get good gear for your level by crafting it or IGN and put some mods in them.
    While this game has a lot of nice things, I think you should also be aware of its bad parts:
    • their modifications of the graphic engine were very bad and resulted in an engine that is hard to upgrade and has low performance. If you check on Google about SW:ToR and their graphic engine you will find some interesting articles.
    • the company is backed up by EA, which in later years was responsible for a lot of bad games that were released just to get fat on cash
    • very, very rough release and developers ignored the community for a long time; when they stepped from their self built pedestals it was a bit too late.
    • the game designer responsible for class balance is the same guy that drove the players way from Warhammer Online
    • they removed the open PvP area (Ilum) because there were some serious lag and video performance issues that they did not want to address in code, so the simplest way was to remove it.
    • for a very long time players had a very limited set of scenarios as a PvP ground
    • I my opinion the company did not make the most of the SW lore: the battle between Jedi and Sith. It should have been a full war between players all over the planets, not only in some scenarios (battlegrounds or whatever); the interaction with the other faction while leveling will be minimal at best (I leveled my vanguard to level 45 before I saw my first sith in open world)
    • the planets are very, very small and cannot be explored fully; this is a drawback of the themepark, but could have been ignored if it had some frakin PvP :)
    • very, very limited crafting and when I say limited, it is limited. Like I mentioned I like the idea that companions have some sort of bonuses and can craft while you are doing missions (when you have multiple companions it is easy to craft). Also some of the crafting professions are bad, very bad.
    • their F2P model, compered to others is bad and in my opinion just reinforces the fact that Bioware is not like EA: just a bunch of suits hungry for money all the time. Long gone are the days when Bioware could be trusted to make a quality game :(
    Over all I think this game is fun, but not something you should invest a lot o time on a daily basis, also not something that is worth a lot of money. You can level and experience the class story without subscription (unless something changed, then feel to correct me) and decide later if you wish to pay.

V.
  • karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

2013, threads on swtor being good

wut

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

I've also returned to the game and enjoying it.

There's no need for subbing, you can play through your storyline without paying a dime.

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

I played TOR for a couple of months and thought it was a good little themepark. I think it copped a lot of flak for what it wasn't (SWG2) rather than for what it was. I quit when they announced the closure of the APAC servers and I'll never go back to it, but I have some good memories. For me, ToR was a WoW killer. I managed 3 months in TOR - a month more than I lasted in WoW. 

Of course, there were some things that irritated me - beyond the usual irritations that you find in any game with a cash shop. The planets were static, the space game was on rails, many of the armour styles were just wrong. But what annoyed me more than anything else was just how unambitious the game was. Much as I enjoyed the stories and the excellent vo, it seemed to me that Bioware relied too heavily on the draw of the IP and the appeal of familiar themepark mechanics. For the money that it cost to develop, ToR just seemed remarkably unremarkable. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Pretty much what Drakephire and evilastro wrote. If you're new to TOR, then it's awesome.

I suggest you to level up two characters (preferably one on both sides, Agent is a great one, from the other side maybe the Knight), and let's revive this thread a few months later to share your feelings and experiences.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride, hope to read from you after your second month expires :)

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Tinybina

I have been looking for a real MMO for a long time now and this seems to be the most complete MMO I have played in a while.. Combat is awesome, I like the crafting system, Companions are wonderful, Cut scenes and the story is AMAZING!  I could go on and on... 

I bought into all the negative hype behind this game and that is why I have not tried it sooner.. Really wish they had a limited trial of this game sooner so I could have seen for myself...

Anyways on to my point... What exactly is wrong with this game?  I look around and it doesn't really have anywhere near the amount of people running around that Rift, GW2 or the new Final Fantasy has.  I know the last two are pretty new but IMO this game is superior to all of them.

Is this another case where a wonderful game had a poor launch and people just tossed it away due to that?  Ala Anarchy Online back in the day?  Or is there really something that I haven't seen yet, something major, that is wrong with this game?

The problem is, you already saw it all in the first 10 levels.

It was the Combat only, that kept me playing as i was really very dissapointed when i was moving on and expecting something "new" on the way, some "boah" or "whoa" but there was none.

It was the most redundant game i ever played, but as that, also one of the best.

Maybe i should install it again, but due to all these server changes i lost my community and my main is stripped like a lvl1 fresh account, there must have been some error.

Nevertheless, SWTOR was bashed because of the lousy and mutch too early use of a pre alpha Hero engine, that came with tools to build a game - what they did. They collosally ruined one of the best IPs in the world.

We dont had high-res textures when the game launched and it ran pretty cluncky that time .. there is reasons why people are still bashing the title ^^

Wish I knew how to use the multi quote feature on these boards....  Anyway's thanks for the responses.  I am working on day 3 and I am starting to see some flaws in this game like the bugs... OMG there are bugs and crashes not to mention for some reason I had to disable Microsoft essentials just to get this game to load...

But other then that I am still having a good time playing, mainly due to the combat.  To me the combat just feels right, sorta like WOW, City of Hero's and WIldstar feel right.  And another great thing is the community, the community is pretty damn good in this game IMO.  You can actually ask questions in general chat or through /tells without getting attacked!  It is not like other F2P games (Looking at you RIFT) that have horrible communities and that allow people to run around with names like Molesstar or Bentmomsover.....

So I found a home for a while finally.  I know its not long term, I really just need this game to last me another 6 months.  I just hope it can do that.  

• ZuvielifyZuvielify Member Posts: 168

The game is a lot of fun for 1 play through. I treated it like a single player game and I enjoyed it a lot. 

The problem I found was that the game guides you all the way to 50, you beat your storyline and then nothing. It wasn't even that they stopped holding your hand and instead just told you what to do; they disappeared completely. "They" being the hand-holding game design. 

I immediately got bored at 50.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Originally posted by Beermangler

I've also returned to the game and enjoying it.

There's no need for subbing, you can play through your storyline without paying a dime.

Here is one reason I stopped subbing to SWTOR. I pay....you play. Don't mind if games have demos where you get one character and get a limited time trial. But, it bothers me that I end up paying for those that play "without paying a dime" when that is MY dime.

And yes, SWTOR is a lot of fun up until you get to the boring and repeatable "end game". Then it just is not worth paying OR playing.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Originally posted by Ppiper
    I enjoyed this game very much, had two level 55 chars. I did some end game raiding, had a decent guild, was a lot of fun. Nothing bad to say. Held my attention much longer than FFXIV, that lasted three weeks.

Did better then me, I could not get pass the cut scenes and lack of polish in that game.  I think I lasted to level 12 in open beta before I just had to uninstall...

I hope I stick around to make it to two level 55's!  I think I want to give a agent a spin after I level up my jedi.

Anyways back to playing!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Wish I knew how to usemulti quote feature on these boards....  Anyway's thanks for the responses.  I am working on day 3 and I am starting to see some flaws in this game like the bugs... OMG there are bugs and crashes not to mention for some reason I had to disable Microsoft essentials just to get this game to load...

But other then that I am still having a good time playing, mainly due to the combat.  To me it just feels right sorta like WOW, City of Hero's or a game that I got to beta test recently combat feels "right"

I found a home for a while finally.  I know its not long term, I really just need this game to last me another 6 months.  I just hope it can do that.  

One quote = click quote button below a post of interest.

Multi-quote = right click quote button below a post of interest, open new tab / window, then go back and right click on same Quote button BUT under a different post of interest, then open in new tab / window.  Copy paste in your "main" post thread. (CTRL-A, CTRL-C, CTRL-V works).

I guess you are feeling the pains of SW fans .. hence why day-1 reviews don't work.  It didn't help much that EA layed off most of the original staff, leaving many bugs unfixable, unless they have their current staff working 500 hours per week for the next few months.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279

My issues with this game is that it had way to many loading screens. MMO's shouldnt have this many load screens. That breaks immersion. And the classes mirror each other. So its like if you played a JK then you know what a SW feels like. So it feels like there are only 4 classes in game. Fleets as main hang outs suck. Both Sith and Republic fleets are copy and paste of each other. Another issue for me is the main cities are small Corsucant and Dromund Kass. These should of been bigger and been the main hang outs and all planets should be contested.

One thing I like about the game is the art style and graphics and animations. One last thing. The game engine sucks really bad and cant handle many players on screen even if you have a gaming rig. This is why all war zones are only 8v8.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Ppiper I enjoyed this game very much, had two level 55 chars. I did some end game raiding, had a decent guild, was a lot of fun. Nothing bad to say. Held my attention much longer than FFXIV, that lasted three weeks.

Did better then me, I could not get pass the cut scenes and lack of polish in that game.  I think I lasted to level 12 in open beta before I just had to uninstall...

I hope I stick around to make it to two level 55's!  I think I want to give a agent a spin after I level up my jedi.

Anyways back to playing!

You said lack of polish in a BETA...amazing. Glad you like SWTOR I threw it on the rubbish heap about a month after live. Horrible game, not finished, no polish whatsoever, no re-playability at all. Same story for each class on both sides, the only thing that changes is the scenery. Oh and the wearing out of my space bar to get through the never ending and pointless cut scenes.

But hey, glad you enjoy it.

Lol no polish in a BETA that is a good one!

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

As others have said, you can get the best part of this game without paying. Not much reason to pay for a sub.

We'll see what the OP thinks in a month when the repetitiveness and boredom sets in.

Originally posted by funcon

My issues with this game is that it had way to many loading screens. MMO's shouldnt have this many load screens. That breaks immersion. And the classes mirror each other. So its like if you played a JK then you know what a SW feels like. So it feels like there are only 4 classes in game. Fleets as main hang outs suck. Both Sith and Republic fleets are copy and paste of each other. Another issue for me is the main cities are small Corsucant and Dromund Kass. These should of been bigger and been the main hang outs and all planets should be contested.

One thing I like about the game is the art style and graphics and animations. One last thing. The game engine sucks really bad and cant handle many players on screen even if you have a gaming rig. This is why all war zones are only 8v8.

I liked the soundtrack the best.  Still do.

The game didn't turn out to be what I expected, but my biggest complaint about owning the CE is that it only came with 1 sound disc, in a cardboard sleeve, not even a jewel case with inserts.

I still occasionally listen to it while driving.  I wish I could trade in the statue for a 10-disc set, to cover all the music in the game, to include all the KotOR stuff too, classical, jazz, you name it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Burntvet

As others have said, you can get the best part of this game without paying. Not much reason to pay for a sub.

We'll see what the OP thinks in a month when the repetitiveness and boredom sets in.

I disagree simply because you get ROTHC for subbing, so at least one month is worth it, you're also able to enjoy more of the side activities like PVP and Flashpoints which are at least fun your first run in the game. Not to mention use of all loot, cashboxes etc, etc, etc...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

I disagree simply because you get ROTHC for subbing, so at least one month is worth it, you're also able to enjoy more of the side activities like PVP and Flashpoints which are at least fun your first run in the game. Not to mention use of all loot, cashboxes etc, etc, etc...

because RotHC isn't repetitive, with the lack of a continuation of class stories and all.. :/

The fact subbing is required even to experience such miniscule content speaks volume for this games future as a F2P game.

You do have a point with the collection of loot (credits), seeing as how it's capped low for F2P.  Bad move IMO, since MMORPG's revolve around the collection of items, loot, and wealth.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Distopia

because RotHC isn't repetitive, with the lack of a continuation of class stories and all.. :/

The fact subbing is required even to experience such miniscule content speaks volume for this games future as a F2P game.

I agree with Distopia, TOR's f2p model is still a pretty lame one (and that's a compliment, since the release it improved a lot from  horrible :) ). For someone who's returning, the preferred is more or less ok, but for a starter I'd suggest at least a 1 month sub as well. And not for Hutt Cartel in the first place, or the preferred status after the sub is gone.

TOR is a great single game, the first playthrough is the best (even with a class which has a weaker-story). F2p is breaking the leveling flow with the less xp, the credit cap and the worthless quest rewards. So yep, at least for the first class it's better to drop in a 1 month sub and enjoying the storyline without the annoyances. The second one and above could go with f2p :)

• skyline385skyline385 Member Posts: 564

Game is definitely good.

You say it isn't that active but maybe you are logging in at the wrong times. Peak hours are very active. One of the few games where no matter where you are leveling, you will always find people. And people in the game also love to group up because of bonus XP and Heroics.

Community is damn amazing but please don't say it here. I don't want the people here to start playing it, like honestly.

F2P is bad, no doubt in it. But most of the restriction can be removed by buying like $20-30 of Cartel coins and using account wide unlocks, which is fair since most AAA games cost $60 and the story and voice-acting definitely makes this game AAA worthy. At end-game, you will definitely need a sub because you need weekly unlocks for Raids and all.

After i got tired of ffxiv, i am back to it.

P.S. Jedi stories are boring goody-goody (except maybe Jedi Knight) so try the dark side. Imperial Agent has unanimously the best story where Sith Inquisitor is good and Warrior is kinda ok-good.