Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

How to get into the cartoon-style graphics

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common

Acclimation.

That's my way, anyway.  Putting on some old Disney DVD's and getting in the mood.  How are the rest of you coming to terms with the new art style?

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member

I never had an issue with it...

But really, if people like Bioshock Infinite, I don't see why they would have an issue with this...the art styles (Elizabeth) are very similar.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• SengiSengi HamburgPosts: 350Member

I already subjected myself to a 48 hour Disney-marathon but it didn't help.

I actually like some Disney movies. Al least I respect them for what they are.

But combining Everquest and Disney is like combining a fly with Jeff Goldbloom. It won't end pretty. I already have my shotgun ready. :D

And to be honest Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite annoyed me trough the whole game. I liked the game but it wasn't because of her.

• syriinxsyriinx New York, NYPosts: 1,063Member Uncommon

wait til game is finished.

play game.  If the game is well made the art style will click, much like it does with WoW.

Although if you are one of the people who thinks the graphics make the game look childish, then you just need to grow up.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon

What other product do you know where potential customers have to "condition" themselves in order to find it acceptable ?

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

What other product do you know where potential customers have to "condition" themselves in order to find it acceptable ?

computer/phone operating systems

also, i knew plenty of people who, in the Simpsons prime, wouldnt give it a chance because it was a cartoon.

Best 6-7 year run in TV comedy history (arguably, but undeniably in the running) but some people missed out because it was a cartoon.

• kragekrage Miami, FLPosts: 419Member

I tend to avoid MMOs which I cannot appreciate aesthetically, usually MMOs with an anime flare are the ones I cannot stick with. I am, currently, ok with EQNs art, so I guess there is no "coming to terms" with it for me. 

You like it, or you don't like it don't try to force yourself.

That said I am gonna take a guess and say the real intent of this thread is another veiled insult at the games aesthetics lol...or at least I hope so, because I can't imagine trying to condition yourself to like a games aesthetics.

• dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Decline to Identify, CAPosts: 75Member Uncommon

i love it.. whats your problem? i love dreamworks and pixar movies too, 

go look at realistic mmos and see how ugly and unapealing they are.. eso and eq1 or 2? 

how the hell do you see this as a down side... dont play it then, move the hell on

League of legends has a very cartoony stylized graphics and its the biggest game in the world, so is blizzards style which iis very popular..

• baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon

the problem is we have different gamers who like different things. some don't care what their character looks like for the most part or if the graphics are not good, as long as the gameplay and mechanics are good and i understand that logic.

some people really care about the way their character looks (i fall in this category) and some people who played EQ for many years expect the game to look and feel similar to an EQ game, at least to some degree (i fall in that category as well).

so i guess it just sucks for me and people like me. i am going to give it it's fair chance but i have next to no expectations in terms of liking the game.

its going to have to be pretty bad ass in order for me to except the art style but i will say that if i can make a character that is still menacing and cool looking, i may be okay with that.

for me half of the issue is with my character looking cartoony and cheesy, not necessarily the art style as a whole.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Austin, TXPosts: 510Member Uncommon

I'm just tired of the "They age better" excuse for using cartoony graphics.  What they really mean is that it will look like a bag of ass at release and ten years later it will still look like a bag of ass.  Just like WoW.

It's lazy and furthermore it says that the developers are not confident of their product.  If it flops with cartoony graphics then they don't ever have to expend developer hours to keep their meager player base from complaining in that department.

CryEngine is six years old now.  The MMO community needs to catch up with effing times.

Yes I know CryEngine is terrible for MMO's because of *insert technical blah blah blah here*.  All I'm saying is that if game engine developers could write a graphically impressive game engine in 2007, then the MMO world can damn well do it now.

• baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon

Originally posted by dwarfkinglords
    i love it.. whats your problem? i love dreamworks and pixar movies too,  go look at realistic mmos and see how ugly and unapealing they are.. eso and eq1 or 2?  how the hell do you see this as a down side... dont play it then, move the hell on League of legends has a very cartoony stylized graphics and its the biggest game in the world, so is blizzards style which iis very popular..  

IMO eq2's graphics still looks quite nice actually and ESO's graphics is far and away superior. if by ugly you mean gritty? then i agree. you must also think skyrim's graphics is ugly as well i take it?

i wonder if the SOE devs have the same attitude you do tword their fan base?

tough shit! don't play it if you don't like it! as a matter oig fact, i think they do lol

• nisraknisrak Honolulu, HIPosts: 70Member
    Originally posted by baphamet

some people really care about the way their character looks (i fall in this category) and some people who played EQ for many years expect the game to look and feel similar to an EQ game, at least to some degree (i fall in that category as well).

I care about the way my character looks, but I like the aesthetic shown so far with EQN.  In fact, I think it is somewhat goes back to the original look of EQ1.  Personally, I really liked the original EQ1 models and when they re-vamped them, I hated the (horrible) attempt at a more realistic look.  EQN models seem to fall in between and I think strike a happy balance between detailed/realistic and stylized/exaggerated.  If you think the original EQ1 models were "realistic", you should take another look at them...

its going to have to be pretty bad ass in order for me to except the art style but i will say that if i can make a character that is still menacing and cool looking, i may be okay with that.

for me half of the issue is with my character looking cartoony and cheesy, not necessarily the art style as a whole.

I think most people took 1 look at "Keeshar" and for some reason assumed the entire game was going to be Care Bears.  Granted, SOE should not have shown that model as their first preview of the game, but I'm sure that they are going to have dark and menacing character models and tons of character customization.   WIth the amount of customization modern games have, I'm not worried about getting my character to look how I want.  I'm just glad the aesthetic is colorful and has some style and is not the monotone grey of ESO.

• BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,941Member Uncommon
    Beer? Acid? Multiple head slams into the desk? 4 inch monitor?
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

Acclimation.

That's my way, anyway.  Putting on some old Disney DVD's and getting in the mood.  How are the rest of you coming to terms with the new art style?

Not going to work with me. Disney movies have a realistic art style in regards to clothing, weapons, and most other things.

There aren't Disney movies with people holding bows made of sparkles and jump ropes. There's no weapons 10x the size of a human being held in one hand. Look at Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty. Realism.

Why do the races and art styles have to be so fucking generic? If you're going stylized, have some god damn style.

go look at realistic mmos and see how ugly and unapealing they are.. eso and eq1 or 2? 

how the hell do you see this as a down side... dont play it then, move the hell on

League of legends has a very cartoony stylized graphics and its the biggest game in the world, so is blizzards style which iis very popular..

Yes everyone loves Pixars art style - in Pixar movies. But different things demand for differed art styles. I like Quentin Tarantino and I like the Muppets but I still don't think "Pulp Fiction the Muppet movie" would be a successful project.

Well, ESO hast the classical Elder Scrolls art style and everyone loves that unlike EQNs art style. We already had that topic. Of course EQs graphics don't look good for today's standards, its a game from 1999. And EQ2s graphics where kind of a failed attempt too. You are right, more realistic graphics don't automatically look better.

The whole issue isn't about realism or poly-counts anyway. ESO has stylized graphics too and they don't have more polygons then the one from EQN.

If EQN was just another themepark with cartoony graphics like Wildstar I couldn't care less. I'm not interested in Wildstar, and I'm not going to play it.

The problem is that EQN is not just another mmo. Its the first AAA sandbox mmo released in 10 years. I believe that pretty much the fate of the whole mmo genre depends on it. EQN has the power to either launch the genre into a new age, or burry the sandbox mmo for the next 10 years. That would basically mean the death of the whole genre, because people are already loosing interest in themepark mmos. The whole mmo genre would go the same way point-n-klick adventures went some years ago.

Don't you think it is an insult to EQN to compare it to LoL and WoW.  Why didn't you mention FarmVille and Angry Birds too? They where even more popular and they also have cartoony graphics. I really hope SOE is going for a whole different standard here. I hope EQN has nothing in common with these games including the graphics. If it would turn out to be some sort of MOBA-hybrid I will loose all hope for the mmo genre.

• thecapitainethecapitaine West Chester, PAPosts: 401Member Uncommon

It's pointless trying to sway someone to accept an aesthetic they simply don't like.  It's equally pointless to claim that one art style is objectively "bad" or another is "better."  I have been skeptical of the "cartoony" graphics of games like WoW, though I never really spent much time with the game.  However, I recently decided to try out a Worgen and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly my concerns evaporated as I played through the starting areas.  I can say I have very rarely been in a zone that conveyed so strong a mood and atmosphere as theirs did; so much so that all consideration of graphics and style went out the window as I was drawn into playing the game.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this kind of experience, no matter the art style.  As long as the design is cohesive and carried out with flair, I think a lot of people would be surprised at how much they may enjoy a game that they initially wrote off as being too Disney.

• quseioquseio stevens, PAPosts: 222Member
    lots of booze and  stareing at neon colored things  a lil bit of stareing at the sun, afterwards   they dont seem so bad
  • ArteanArtean GöteborgPosts: 209Member Uncommon

Great. But wait until you get into your twenties and you might feel differently.

When in doubt, troll.

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,994Member Uncommon

I recall that when I first started playing computer games in the 80's they were 4 color CGA  display with 16 KB of memory and a whopping 320 x 200 display resolution (in color).   VGA seemed like such a blessing (I skipped EGA)

Anything today looks far better than this, though sometimes I think the games back then were more enjoyable, perhaps because at the end of the day, it's enjoyable game play over graphics in my book.

Seriously, just give the darn game a try and quit worrying about what the graphics look like.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ArteanArtean GöteborgPosts: 209Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

I'm just tired of the "They age better" excuse for using cartoony graphics. 

Indeed. That's way you keep upgrading your graphic engine over time. Compare to EVE.

When in doubt, troll.

• joe2721joe2721 las vegas, NVPosts: 161Member

Seems like this is likely a thread aimed  are starting over the same back and forth  about  the art style as several others.

Like others here I don't care about them either way. I am more concerns about  allot of the features that have been mention. Because if they diliver on that front i would play i  even if it had eq1 graphics.

• evilastroevilastro EdinburghPosts: 4,270Member

Well first I took my head out of my own arse and realised that pretending to exclusively like realistic graphics doesn't actually make me a mature person or better than anyone else.

Then I realised that some of the best games over the past 10 years have had stylised graphics, including the first Everquest.

Originally posted by baphamet

the problem is we have different gamers who like different things. some don't care what their character looks like for the most part or if the graphics are not good, as long as the gameplay and mechanics are good and i understand that logic.

so i guess it just sucks for me and people like me. i am going to give it it's fair chance but i have next to no expectations in terms of liking the game.

I agree, the world and everything else looks great. The whole issue is only about the characters. If you ask me the they even look as if they don't belong in that game.

What makes it worse is that it could have been avoided so easily. Its not because of technical limitation. The characters have nothing to do the voxels. These are just some standard 3D-models you see in every game, and they don't even look good from a technical standpoint. The textures look quite dull for example.

Yes, gameplay is more important then graphics, but that doesn't mean that graphics don't matter as well. The problem I have with some people defending the art style is that they behave like someone saying:

"I just bought that asian minivan because it is the most efficient and functional car on the market and I only care for performance and  not what a car looks like. - But don't dare to mention that a lot of people find it really ugly, and that the design could easily have been much better without affecting the performens at all if they had put a little bit of thought in it!"

• OberholzerOberholzer Hasbrouck Heights, NJPosts: 498Member
    If the graphics are done well and I enjoy the game I don't really care about the style. I think if people have to acclimate to the art style how much will you really enjoy the game. 
  • sanshi44sanshi44 BrisbanePosts: 1,088Member Uncommon

I have no issues with the art style personaly, although the kerran could use a little dirting up a littler imo but that may just be char select. However i would like to see weapons/armor somewhat realistic in size and all that so stylise em but i dont realy wanna see huge oversized weapons

For Example: When a weapon is 2 times the length of your character you know u have problems.