Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hypothetical question, what would you play.

NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213

I want to see what people feel is the best current game, old or new, still on the market.
There are a lot of reasons people don't go play games they once loved..outdated graphics, too far behind the crowd, got in too late, just got bored, whatever.

But take this hypthetical situation

Every current live mmorpg is completely wiped clean.

1 server, brand spankin new and untouched, is put up to go forward with for each game. Exactly as the game sits now. You have 1 day to decide before that server caps and they stop accepting new players.

No mmorpg is going to be released in the next 2 years for you to hop to.
You have no legs so you are bedridden, but the windfall of the lawsuit against the guy who chopped your legs off leaves you wealthy enough you can lay around all day playing mmorpg.

What game are you going to play?

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    I hesitate to answer because of how closely my behaviour already resembles this hypothetical scenario.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Diablo 3. And no .. it is not a MMO.
  • CorvusCoraxCorvusCorax Member Posts: 38
    Would probably go with wow, most mmo's live today are just as casual and have the same downsides but blizzard adds more content more frequently or atleast thats how it appears to me.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    EQ1.  yes, I understand the 'as it stands today' part.  id still take EQ1.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

Can I play Dota 2 Instead?

CU doesn't come out for more than 2 years anyway. So I'm G2G either way.

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Hrmm could you imagine a fresh eve server... tempting.....
  • ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    ac1 dt.
  • DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by NegativeJoe
    I want to see what people feel is the best current game, old or new, still on the market.
    There are a lot of reasons people don't go play games they once loved..outdated graphics, too far behind the crowd, got in too late, just got bored, whatever. But take this hypthetical situationEvery current live mmorpg is completely wiped clean.1 server, brand spankin new and untouched, is put up to go forward with for each game. Exactly as the game sits now. You have 1 day to decide before that server caps and they stop accepting new players.No mmorpg is going to be released in the next 2 years for you to hop to.
    You have no legs so you are bedridden, but the windfall of the lawsuit against the guy who chopped your legs off leaves you wealthy enough you can lay around all day playing mmorpg. What game are you going to play?

Well, the MMORPG market right now sucks.

As for what WAS my favorite game, Star Wars Galaxies/Asheron's Call/Runescape Back in the day were just amazing and IO was in love. AC1 nowadays is just too outdated for me unfortunatley, but the mechanics are still great. SWG went bankrupt :( and Runescape went to shit when they released the cash shop and changed the game entirely.

Given a game was a combinations of EVE's MASSIVE virtual world, and the industry/security levels, Asheron's Call's deep lore, and allegiance system/ Star Wars Galaxies' crafting, multiple professions, and general freedom, and Ultima's roleplaying aspects, I would instantly fall in love with that game.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    I would play FFXIV ARR or WOW as my 2nd choice. Both have tons of things in game that can keep me occupied for a long time.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by ray12k
    ac1 dt.

This

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    ac1 dt.

This

Same

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Probably EVE.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Teala
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    ac1 dt.

This

Same

Same here. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

EVE Online.

Hahahahahaha.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Saga Of Ryzom

or "Ryzom" as listed now

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

FFXIV ARR just because it is new and I am already enjoying it.

But for games that have been out for a long time definitely have to go with EVE I just don't want to start dishing out $15 for a game that has such a harsh learning curve and takes serious dedication to even be a little close to the people who have been playing for years. But give everyone a fresh start hell yeah.

• drebiandrebian Member Posts: 28
    Vanguard Saga of Heroes with the bugs removed and the cash shop stuff removed (i.e. the way it was before F2P but remove the bugs and add a good sized population)
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    WoW , it's the jack of all trades and master too. Everquest gets runner up. Then Gw2
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Definitely Scarlet Blade.
  • GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    The "Every current live mmorpg" screws me out of this hypothetical game.
  • HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Probably EvE.

But there's the question of foreign games. What if I live in US but I may pick ArcheAge or something?

Great topic btw.

• windwavewindwave Member UncommonPosts: 20

Anarchy online, still my favourite mmo after all these years. Now if they get that new graphic engine going.....

It's not the best mmo on the market, as per your first sentence, but my favourite

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Once I read your "exactly as it sits now" part I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be playing anything.  I say this simply because I don't play any MMO type games as is and even if I was bed ridden with no legs I would still not play any simply because I do not enjoy what the market has to offer at the moment.

Assuming that the lawsuit you mentioned would leave me wealthy enough to lay about and do nothing, I would more than likely put that money toward a mobility device and leave the house.  Even with no legs it is still more than possible to go out of the home and do other entertaining activities.

Short answer:  Nothing.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by NegativeJoe

There are a lot of reasons people don't go play games they once loved..outdated graphics, too far behind the crowd, got in too late, just got bored, whatever.

But take this hypthetical situation

Every current live mmorpg is completely wiped clean.

1 server, brand spankin new and untouched, is put up to go forward with for each game. Exactly as the game sits now. You have 1 day to decide before that server caps and they stop accepting new players.

No mmorpg is going to be released in the next 2 years for you to hop to.
    You have no legs so you are bedridden, but the windfall of the lawsuit against the guy who chopped your legs off leaves you wealthy enough you can lay around all day playing mmorpg.

What game are you going to play?

You're missing the biggest reason people don't play those old games. Updates.

If it was a classic DAoC server, I'd be playing that. If it's modern DAoC, fuck that. Same with EverQuest, same with UO.

If it's MMOs in their modern state, brand new, it'd either be Eve, Asheron's Call, or Darkfall Unholy Wars. Maybe Vanguard.