Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Defiance: Committed to Improving the Game

2»

Comments

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Defiance's only hope is that Destiny and the Division are failures.  there isnt enough current interest in the mmo shooter genre.  And Destiny and Division will bring people to the genre from console shooter land (in theory), but if those games are good the people will stay there.
  • kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    It's great that they are committed to improving because I like it as is. if it gets even better, then awesome! I think sometimes people have unreal expectations for games.
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    AI needs a complete and total overhaul imo.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165

Honestly? This entire IP is a trainwreck. They don't even know what to do with the series going forward. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/defiance-season-2_n_3636476.html

Like said above, I wish them the best but I'm starting to lose faith. I wish this entire industry would just slow down and focus on releasing finished product. This rollercoaster ride is getting old.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

Played it for awhile and enjoyed it, but it started to get old after about 6 months. Even bought the DLC and played that for a bit, didn't last long before I was getting bored again. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see how it improves and how quickly it improves.

At least I haven't uninstalled it yet, but I fear when The Repopulation comes out I will be dropping Defiance for it...unless TR ends up being really awful.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I wish they were committed to making 24/7 faction vs faction conflict  work.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

This is sort of the whole story behind Trion,i stepped into Rift and it looked to have potential,i stepped in to Defiance and again the same.The problem is both games had me wanting to get out,Rift after a week and Defiance almost immediately.

I can't even put a finger on it,so i could not walk in and make it easy for the dev team to improve the game to where i would play it.I think a simple analogy is Trion just does not do anything really well,sort of like average gaming .I have played a lot of games ,so average does not appeal to me anymore.

I cannot play a Trion game and come out with any kind of distinct definition behind their games.Example i play Wow it is a linear questing game,i play FFXI it is a grouping non questing game,i play Unreal it is  a skillful pvp fps game.

So i guess Trion if trying to improve their games,need to aim for a much stronger identity.That way when we are thinking about a type of game we feel in the mood to play,we can say "oh ya Defiance is that game or Rift is that game".

As to solo out Defiance,i entered the game and it looked good enough but right away i felt like something was missing,i was not drawn in to the game.For this game,i think perhaps a little more action to start off,that draws players in to go further.

I think MANy games miss the point of initial design effort.You need to start players in a large city,then give reason for them to venture out.Perhaps make that city a constant focal point that way noobs see the vets with real cool weapons and gear.Let them see the action of a bustling city around them,shops to explore,perhaps a stable of mounts,you know sort of like walking through Qeynos or Freeport in the early days.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Willing to see those improvements! I have quite some fun when i play and i do believe Trion has the power to do it right!
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Glad to see some interest in the game, sadly its to little to late for me.

Id be very surprised if any of the looming issues defiance are facing get dealt with.

Sorry you had to move but hey not my problem

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by rodingo
    At least they are not pulling the plug and cutting their losses,...yet.

Unlike WAR, which is subscription based, there is really no plugs for them to pull.

Having less or more player numbers really doesn't affect them that much since they are not really paying by the hour, and the server they have to keep up anyways, so the costing side has all already been figured out.

So it is quite irrelevant to try to think of this game in terms of traditional mmos.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    I like the game. The chat UI is a big turn off.  It's not a bad game.
  • injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142

This game was just a cash grab for Trion trying to milk their fans for more.  I logged in, realized what a "world event" was, actually laughed my ass off at the sheer number of tpeople standing there not doing any damage to this huge worm and after 30 minutes of exactly that, left and decided it wasnt for me.

• KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111

Well this is their absolute last chance at fixing the Chat UI/AnitSocial aspect of this game. Shooter or not, it's SUPPOSED to be an MMO.

If they refuse to redesign (completely) the UI so that's it's a PC friendly, modern , current UI (This means you throw the console UI crap in the fucking toilet forever. Never do this again) then I don't think this game has much life left it, less those that have low standards and expectations for an MMO... shooter? sure...MMO first...then you shoot.

that brings players, then money.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I still playing Defiance & enjoying .

They should  stop add solo instance in future new content  &  remake chat at final.

• If they wanna boost clans then put CLAN BOOSTS back in the game. For some reason they are no longer there. All these interviews and nobody has addressed this issue with Trion.
  • mrbowser81mrbowser81 Member Posts: 27
    Well I will say I am well impressed with this game arkfalls major bosses co-op missions improved loot dropped from ark destructions but its missing more side missions and an easier way to group up with people who are doing the same thing such as wandering just because and yes need an easier way to swap out weapon sets while in battle but battle is great easily you can be killed lol arrgghhhh inventory menu dead before I can close it out
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I don't understand how they expect a Buy to play + cash shop + paid DLC cost model to work for them. I mean they have 3 different models in one title, JUST PICK ONE!.

Planetside 2 is free with cash shop, GW2 is buy to play, and I haven't spent a dime on DLC since before the Dragon Age 2 debacle. There's absolutely no reason to pick up this title with better (and cheaper) options available.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Originally posted by Grixxitt

I don't understand how they expect a Buy to play + cash shop + paid DLC cost model to work for them. I mean they have 3 different models in one title, JUST PICK ONE!.

Planetside 2 is free with cash shop, GW2 is buy to play, and I haven't spent a dime on DLC since before the Dragon Age 2 debacle. There's absolutely no reason to pick up this title with better (and cheaper) options available.

Agreed.

Defiance is so lacking in content its lame to charge for this content when it should have been in the game to begin with. 

The model is similar to TSW but TSW is like a million times the value of this game.

• TrionnaTrionna Member Posts: 1
    We love Defiance!  My husband and I are brand new to MMO games.  I am the gamer of the family playing single player games, but hubby got hooked this summer on Defiance and we have been ark falling, fighting Volge, saving each other and dying together to respawn and do it all over again.  We think this is a monumental undertaking in video games and are amazed how it all works especially for all of the platforms.  If the critical time outs forcing us to log out and back in can be brought under control, this game would be fabulous!  We love it in spite of that!
  • DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Wonder if any game devs have ever uttered the statement "we're committed to failure."
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originally posted by Trionna
    We love Defiance!  My husband and I are brand new to MMO games.  I am the gamer of the family playing single player games, but hubby got hooked this summer on Defiance and we have been ark falling, fighting Volge, saving each other and dying together to respawn and do it all over again.  We think this is a monumental undertaking in video games and are amazed how it all works especially for all of the platforms.  If the critical time outs forcing us to log out and back in can be brought under control, this game would be fabulous!  We love it in spite of that!

lol

• pressedNutzpressedNutz Member Posts: 36

The problem with chat is NOT that is obscures part of the screen. Who on earth in that studio actually thinks this is the issue? They need to carefully reexamine the game and their position in this industry if it is the case that someone has said it was. I don't want anyone to lose a job but seriously get this perfectly clear: we MMO or online shooter players NEED to communicate and we need to be able TO SEE that communication.

The problem is that the darn thing doesn't work. PERIOD. You log in and you get a system message telling you where you are bound to. Then it doesn't update. You manually open the chat window and hit zone or area to see what people are saying and you see next to no one has said anything. And why because as soon as you start to play the game again it closes to a single line with that opening systems message and even if you try to keep it open it closes again. It doesn't change that one line you can see EVER. It just goes backwards. Any new zone or area messages get buried in reverse order. You can't see anything that has been said unless you sit doing nothing but holding the chat window open.

I've watched tonnes of Trion's twitch feeds and I know you guys play this game. So why has no one noticed the window doesn't work? Why has no one noticed that it doesn't remember what channel you want open, why it doesn't update when someone adds something new to the channel you have open?

What on earth is going on over there? Too much drinking whisky on Fridays and not enough paying attention. Too many people who think they know what they are doing and not enough actually playing with the community to come against the very apparent and extremely frustrating aspects of the game.

The excuses we get on the boards is that: "well we never had anyone complain this loudly about XYZ problem before now". Earth to Trion, you guys are still newbies in this industry, try looking at best practices from other online games out there. Take advantage of the fact that you don't have to reinvent the wheel. Put your EGOs aside and admit to yourselves you don't know what you're doing and then reevaluate what you have and how you can make it a game.

Trick also talks about this thing called the "chase". What the frack kind of marketing nonsense is this? The problem is you can finish the "game" in 2 days, or less if you are hardcore, and then all there is to do is "chase" arkfalls for potentially better drops that you get to use to...you guessed it...chase more arkfalls.

All everyone does is toggle the map on and off to see where the next red or light blue WP is and then teleport next to it. OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I even see your community people playing the same content nearly every twitch feed I've seen.

This isn't a game. It is a collection of activities and a way to blow off some steam. You may as well be playing Tribes or TF2 if you want a good shooter experience.

The guns are cool, many of the weapons are cool, the EGO powers are not bad, but where is the game? Where is the non-cosmetic armour? It's just a series of random encounters that have no impact on the game world. The Vulge don't take over areas of the map which you need to reclaim, they just start events that everyone teleports next to, then makes a short journey to, then grinds some more experience and hope to get useful loot. Which rarely drops.

Who came up with the idea that once you master a weapon you get no more experience for using it. I am constantly equipping worse equipment just to rank up my weapon skills and lugging around my good gear for that unknown time in the future where I may need to use the good stuff.

There are so many issues that were completely not addressed in this interview nor have I heard boo about from the devs or their representatives on forums, videos, interviews, or their live feed. How about before it's too late you go back to the drawing board, identify what resources that are useful that you can capitalize on and then patch an actual game into this lovely world you've painstakingly built?

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

I see some are very critical of the game saying the game is a train wreck or not worth the money and more. What would make your posts not so pointless is to include suggestions on what you think can be done to improve things. 

Through studying a game design degree I have grown to have more respect for developers and have learnt to be more critical when it comes to analysis. Defiance does have a huge list of issues but it is still a fun game to play and not a total train wreck. 

If you want to see a real train wreck then go check out tabula rasa.