Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Steam Machine Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Valve has revealed its second major announcement of the week with the Steam Machine. The Valve prototype is in the works and Valve is looking for 300 dedicated participants to help develop what promises to be a ground-breaking piece of machinery.

Want to make yourself eligible to participate in the beta? Add yourself to the list of candidates by completing the Eligibility Quest on Steam. Sound hard? It’s not.

THE HARDWARE BETA ELIGIBILITY QUEST:

Before October 25, log in to Steam and then visit your quest page to track your current status towards beta test eligibility

1. Join the Steam Universe community group

2. Agree to the Steam Hardware Beta Terms and Conditions

3. Make 10 Steam friends (if you haven't already)

4. Create a public Steam Community profile (if you haven't already)

5. Play a game using a gamepad in Big Picture mode

Want to know more? Check out the Steam Machine page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I haven't tried Big Picture Mode, but I might need to try it now.

I wonder if those boxes at the bottom of the picture are prototypes for the SteamBox, or just random boxes with lights.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    This could be the product that finally kills pc gaming. If it doesnt kill it, it will cripple it severely.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    This could be the product that finally kills pc gaming. If it doesnt kill it, it will cripple it severely.

XYZ machine killing PC gaming is like saying XYZ MMO will kill WoW 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

I read an article on the SteamBox and the SteamOS, and there are supposedly going to be three tiers of Steam stuff.

One: Basically a streaming box, that lets a player run games on their PC, and stream it to the SteamBox. The SteamBox will run SteamOS and the desktop will run ??? $99
    Two: The SteamBox console, that people can use like any other console. Download, install and run games from Steam. $300
    Three: Manufacturers and players can build boxes with new hardware, well exceeding the specs for the SteamBox console and run SteamOS or Steam on Windows. $???(?)

It doesn't matter what direction players go, Valve can deliver the games. Even if SteamOS becomes the defacto OS to run games on, PC gaming will still be the choice for the cutting edge players.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4762374/steam-box-hardware-spec

We'd heard from the very beginning that the Steam Box would be designed around a particular spec, originally a Core i7 CPU, an Nvidia GPU, and 8GB of RAM. In January, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell told us that the company's plans were a little bit more complicated. Instead of imposing a rigid set of specifications, the company would erect three tiers of "Good," "Better," and "Best." Good would an extremely cheap (think $100) box that merely streams content from another computer in your home with more muscle, while Better (think $300+) would be more tightly controlled to hit the center of the Venn diagram between powerful, cheap, small, and efficient. Best, he explained, could be whatever users or hardware manufacturers dream up, with no restrictions.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    So a stream box, a console and a custom pc platform? sounds like a good bar joke.

My questions would be about the 'other stuff'. Can you play Blue-ray movies? What about Youtube or Netflix?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

3rd announcement forthcoming

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/25/valve-steambox-annnouncement-2/

another 48 hours before the final piece of news

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Maybe its just me, but I don't know who this product is aimed at. I have a PC so I don't really want or need an inferior version of my PC.

I have an xbox360 and will probably get the PS4 so I don't really need another console. Plus I already have steam installed snd have many games, browser, apps and software that don't require steam to work.

Other than curiosity I can't think of a reason to justify buying this. Or am I missing something here?
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I get it, its just more diversification of platforms so maybe just maybe they land a quality exclusive and get people on board. Then slowly take over the world of video games.
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I highly doubt it will make any difference to PC gaming whatsoever. 

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    If anything PC gaming will be stronger for this as you would be playing *gasp* PC games on whatever Steambox you get.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Darwa

I highly doubt it will make any difference to PC gaming whatsoever. 

Agreed, this one of the most asinine comment I have seen in awhile.  PC gaming is not going anywhere, any time soon.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

I kinda like this.

I got a laptop that does great but want to get a desktop for my gaming needs. 

Set up the laptop on the TV and keep my Desktop in the computer room. Streaming for the win. And on top of that getting the tier 1 ($100 ) machine and use it on the TV. 

Sounds good to me. The more i can use PC games on my TV without moving crap around is aways a bonus.

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

I get it, its just more diversification of platforms so maybe just maybe they land a quality exclusive and get people on board. Then slowly take over the world of video games.

I don't think they could actually take over, even if everything goes their way. They might dominate the digital distribution market, but not the gaming market itself. Besides, even if the SteamOS takes off and becomes the standard gaming OS, there's nothing to stop other developers or publishers from creating a distribution network of their own that can deliver games to SteamOS powered machines and there's nothing to stop the players themselves from loading the games or applications outside of Steam/SteamOS. Linux is built to be tinkered with. Trying to lock it down would be met with some very interesting resistance.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I don't think they could actually take over, even if everything goes their way. They might dominate the digital distribution market, but not the gaming market itself. Besides, even if the SteamOS takes off and becomes the standard gaming OS, there's nothing to stop other developers or publishers from creating a distribution network of their own that can deliver games to SteamOS powered machines and there's nothing to stop the players themselves from loading the games or applications outside of Steam/SteamOS. Linux is built to be tinkered with. Trying to lock it down would be met with some very interesting resistance.

Steam isn't the only way to get games onto the PC. In fact I don't even use it at all. What this WILL do is bring more gaming to Linux in general which is a VERY good thing.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

This can have real big implications

I'm thinking more PS4 and Xbox1 and the cut the developers and publisher's have to give to Sony and M$

In the end, more competition is a good thing for us the consumer 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    this is HUGE since there will be a dedicated OS to gaming, better optimizations better drivers all this build on top of linux and will be open source

BestSigEver :P

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163

Nothing will EVER kill PC gaming unless they come out with VR similar to Sword Art Online where your conciousness is ported into a game. That's a LOOOOONG time away lol if at all possible.

The reason being is gaming will always be divided between those who love  controllers and those who love a good mouse and keyboard. Also those who love upgrading their rigs to be the best of the best, but mostly the former two.

I for one cannot play FPS on console and will forever stick to PC. Most games on console I'm interested in eventually get ported over anyways.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

PC gaming survived and even got stronger during the console gaming prime years

If anything.. steambox will destroy the console gaming market.