Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you treat a newb?

Comments

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Scot
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Originally posted by dave6660

Newbs are unworthy of receiving help from a superior being such as myself.

I sure hope that was in jest otherwise you deserve an award for proving everything that's wrong with MMO "communities" in a mere 13 words.

What is sad is when people can't read OBVIOUS sarcasm as sarcasm. Seriously...wow. Good golly. Holy cow. Yikes!

Soon you'll break 100 posts and be a "big boy". Then you'll realize that a lot of people say what they really think on these forums and when someone calls them on it, they claim it was sarcasm.

It's pretty typical around here.

I have put :) and :D, yet I have still been taken seriously in posts I thought were an obviously not meant to be taken that way. Maybe typing a big SARCASM after the post might do it!?

I doubt it. Too many posters hide behind emoticons and slash-emotives that they have become meaningless for the purpose of communicating intent, let alone anything clever. 

The best way to be understood is to be clear. Besides, the very definition of sarcasm implies mocking a person in a negative manner which seems like something deserving of a warning, or a ban when done repeatedly. 

“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”  -Cassandra Clare

:O.

I have to say, GrimGryphon, the thing I like about you the most is your lighthearted sense of humor.

BEGIN ANALYSIS

--------

Tone of post:  Sarcastic.

Intention:  To humorously illustrate the extremely "grim" nature of GrimGryphon's post by oxymoronically complementing his sense of humor

--------

END ANALYSIS

Anyway man...I dunno, maybe don't take things so seriously ;).  Just because someone is being sarcastic doesn't mean they are trying to surreptitiously insult you or something, sometimes it's just funny and that's all there is to it.

Yes it does. That's the definition of sarcastic, genius. The intent is to ridicule. See what I did there?

If the person is trying to be funny with no ill intent using the same tactic, then they are trying their hand at irony...and probably failing.

Originally posted by Icewhite

I have put :) and :D, yet I have still been taken seriously in posts I thought were an obviously not meant to be taken that way. Maybe typing a big SARCASM after the post might do it!?

Putting a big disclaimer that your post is a joke or sarcastic really ruins the fun.

"Sarcasm doesn't translate into print at all."--Megan Fox   (But hoho how about irony? --Icewhite)

It would make an interesting sub-topic all of its very own, the rejected feeling created when the public doesn't "get" your cleverly crafted prose. But writers always blame the readers when their prose falls short...do comedians blame their audience when their jokes are "just too hip"?

You called forum posters "writers".

Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Putting a big disclaimer that your post is a joke or sarcastic really ruins the fun.

"Sarcasm doesn't translate into print at all."--Megan Fox   (But hoho how about irony? --Icewhite)

It would make an interesting sub-topic all of its very own, the rejected feeling created when the public doesn't "get" your cleverly crafted prose. But writers always blame the readers when their prose falls short...do comedians blame their audience when their jokes are "just too hip"?

Do I get to wear the Misanthropy Cap? Yay!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Do I get to wear the Misanthropy Cap? Yay!

Of course and coincidentally, it looks a lot like the hat the Pope wears.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64

Newbs are unworthy of receiving help from a superior being such as myself.

I sure hope that was in jest otherwise you deserve an award for proving everything that's wrong with MMO "communities" in a mere 13 words.

What is sad is when people can't read OBVIOUS sarcasm as sarcasm. Seriously...wow. Good golly. Holy cow. Yikes!

Soon you'll break 100 posts and be a "big boy". Then you'll realize that a lot of people say what they really think on these forums and when someone calls them on it, they claim it was sarcasm.

It's pretty typical around here.

I doubt it. Too many posters hide behind emoticons and slash-emotives that they have become meaningless for the purpose of communicating intent, let alone anything clever. 

The best way to be understood is to be clear. Besides, the very definition of sarcasm implies mocking a person in a negative manner which seems like something deserving of a warning, or a ban when done repeatedly. 

:O.

I have to say, GrimGryphon, the thing I like about you the most is your lighthearted sense of humor.

BEGIN ANALYSIS

--------

Tone of post:  Sarcastic.

Intention:  To humorously illustrate the extremely "grim" nature of GrimGryphon's post by oxymoronically complementing his sense of humor

--------

END ANALYSIS

Anyway man...I dunno, maybe don't take things so seriously ;).  Just because someone is being sarcastic doesn't mean they are trying to surreptitiously insult you or something, sometimes it's just funny and that's all there is to it.

Yes it does. That's the definition of sarcastic, genius. The intent is to ridicule. See what I did there?

If the person is trying to be funny with no ill intent using the same tactic, then they are trying their hand at irony...and probably failing.

Okay let me clarify this for you...

If I am playing a frustration game like Cat Mario, dying over and over, and my buddy says "Man you are just crushing this level!"  I am not going to scream to my mom that he should be warned or banned if he does this repeatedly.

I will realize that he is just making light of the situation and laugh. That is what I mean by don't take things so seriously...it's not like my friend in that scenario is trying to belittle me, or genuinely insult me out of hatred, it's all context sensitive.

The same applies to forums...

If I make a silly post or a ridiculous argument, I may get a bunch of sarcastic replies.  And you know what?  Maybe I should realize that my argument was silly and I deserved them, and know that these replies were not directed at me PERSONALLY, but at the argument I made.

I'm not saying that all sarcastic replies are well intentioned, but by the same token, they are not all "imaginatively bankrupt."

Also, this is the definition of sarcasm from Merriam Webster:

: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Okay let me clarify this for you...

If I am playing a frustration game like Cat Mario, dying over and over, and my buddy says "Man you are just crushing this level!"  I am not going to scream to my mom that he should be warned or banned if he does this repeatedly. [That's because he's trying to be ironic, not sarcastic. If he was being sarcastic he would have said something like, "Gee, if you were twice as skilled in this game as you are now, you'd be absolutely incompetent. gg"]

I will realize that he is just making light of the situation and laugh. That is what I mean by don't take things so seriously...it's not like my friend in that scenario is trying to belittle me, or genuinely insult me out of hatred, it's all context sensitive.

If I make a silly post or a ridiculous argument, I may get a bunch of sarcastic replies.  And you know what?  Maybe I should realize that my argument was silly and I deserved them, and know that these replies were not directed at me PERSONALLY, but at the argument I made. [If you are receiving sarcastic replies, they ARE directed at you.]

I'm not saying that all sarcastic replies are well intentioned, but by the same token, they are not all "imaginatively bankrupt." [No, but the people who try their hand at it, are. On these forums, sarcasm is used when a person is too uninspired to come up with something clever. Think of it this way: they WANT to insult you, but need a way out if you get mad. It's the longer version of 'jk']

: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really want to say especially in order to insult someone, to show irritation, or to be funny

Ah, I see you changed your post. I also see you haven't learned to properly use a dictionary.

Try reading the entire entry next time. Doing that has an amazing side-effect: It fosters understanding.

Ah, I see you changed your post. I also see you haven't learned to properly use a dictionary.

Try reading the entire entry next time. Doing that has an amazing side-effect: It fosters understanding.

I'm not getting your point friend.  It clearly states sarcasm can be used "to be funny" as well as to be insulting or to show irritation.  That's uh...what I was saying.

I know there is other stuff under that definition, but it doesn't change the fact that sarcasm can be used "to be funny."

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

A newb asks a question about the game's interface (an easy--but not instantly apparent--one).

Real newbs usually thank you for the help and for giving them an extra source of info. Lazy people usually assume you have an attitude when you tell them where to get info (even if they got their answer in the first place) then call you out. Ive come across a lot of them, both newbies that appreciate help and also  the lazy dudes on general chats that find google hard to use but can easily flame your answer.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

"Man you are just crushing this level!"  I am not going to scream to my mom that he should be warned or banned if he does this repeatedly.

Is it really the same? In real life, do you act the same towards complete strangers, as you act towards your friends? Or do you distance yourself and refrain from irony and jokes at the beginning, to avoid missunderstanding?

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

as long as they walk 3 paces behind and to the right, as long as they do not make direct eye contact or speak directly to me then Im fine with newbs.

i kid.

i ran into a newb today while playing FF14. I came across this guy fighting 3 or 4 mobs and he was clearly losing and about to die. So I healed him several times from the brink and threw a couple of dots on the mobs to help him along. when he finally killed all the mobs he said not a word and just ran off; which pissed me a little. So i sent him a /tell that said you're welcome, he replied I didnt ask you to heal me so i dont have to thank you. At which point I blacklisted him and hope to never cross his path again.

that type of newb/asshat whatever term you prefer i cant stand.

Originally posted by TribeofOne

as long as they walk 3 paces behind and to the right, as long as they do not make direct eye contact or speak directly to me then Im fine with newbs.

i kid.

i ran into a newb today while playing FF14. I came across this guy fighting 3 or 4 mobs and he was clearly losing and about to die. So I healed him several times from the brink and threw a couple of dots on the mobs to help him along. when he finally killed all the mobs he said not a word and just ran off; which pissed me a little. So i sent him a /tell that said you're welcome, he replied I didnt ask you to heal me so i dont have to thank you. At which point I blacklisted him and hope to never cross his path again.

Why respond at all? What do you get out of it?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

I am usually helpful if I know the answer.  There is no point in being ass about things but the internet is famous for assholes.  

I remember quite a few instances where my help of a newbie saved me from being lynched after killing someone in UO later on.   Especially in UO beta.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

i kid.

I'm sorry but what? i dont get what youre asking.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

i kid.

I think maybe he's trying to show how unwarranted negativity is unnecessary. If not, then I'm really not following what all his posts in this thread are getting at, this one included. It's possible there's more to his posts than just what we're reading.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

i kid.

I think maybe he's trying to show how unwarranted negativity is unnecessary. If not, then I'm really not following what all his posts in this thread are getting at, this one included. It's possible there's more to his posts than just what we're reading.

The funniest part is that, at least I feel, that his posts are by far, the most negative in this thread.

• gtalove888gtalove888 Member Posts: 2
    I have had one incident where I log into a game for the first time, and right at the entrance stands a character who cusses out all the newbs...it's amazing how no GM was around for that, especially on launch day.
  • celystacelysta Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by gtalove888

I have had one incident where I log into a game for the first time, and right at the entrance stands a character who cusses out all the newbs...it's amazing how no GM was around for that, especially on launch day.

What game was that?
    Originally posted by celysta
    Originally posted by gtalove888
    What game was that?

Age of Abuse: Throne of the Rude Chronicles

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• if your talking an actual newb, like newbie, the inexperienced person, then you answer there obvious questions with obvious answers.  There will be little dpeth of understanding of the game your playing, or, like the Millennials who post on here, they will have little understanding of the genre itself.  There question wil be so simple you might ask then, is this your first mmorpg?

noobs, like asshats, you can treat anyway you want.  They are sub human scum, just like the dumbest  generation alive, the Millennials, the people game companies make games for now a days.  

ot:  Its not the developers fault the IQ of an entire generation is  low, they are just trying to figure out how stupid the Millennials are so they can dumb the games down for them.

• Huge difference between newbs and noobs.  Newbs are interested in learning. Noobs are interested in being annoying.
  • CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

Responding to someone about a GUI question isn't that difficult. As I put in all my posts, that's what your guild/corp is for. If you are soloing a MMO, and you have a ton of questions...you need to prepare yourself for some general level of sarcastic answers bc you are online playing with people that are anonymous.

Now that I'm an old man, I understand that your reputation carries weight in MMO's, just like IRL. I think if you plan on staying in that MMO, you should be careful about treating people like garbage. I can remember a very specific instance when I first started DF 1 where I got killed by an Alfar that ambushed me at a bank in the woods. 

I typed.."good fight...thanks for the beating" in chat. As I had been fighting all day around that bank it was a good way to learn and almost everyone had been cool.  He then quickly began teabagging my dying character and typing a lot of nonsense back. I laughed it off...and remembered his name.

Fast forward 6 months later...Lo and Behold...we are in the same clan. Every time he died on ops..I would loot his corpse even though we had a strict policy never to do this. I would "accidentally" type in world chat instead of guild chat why he was harvesting golems instead of helping with something else. 

His actions carried weight. I never felt bad about him getting rolled or losing his stuff. Hopefully he matured and if he didn't...no sweat off my back.

EvE was no different. If you treat people like garbage, it will follow you. Granted alts allow for you to meta game your way out, but you asked about just general treatment of a new player. It all starts there really. New players are key to any games survival. 

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

If it is a legitimate newb, I will answer the question, if it isn't something extremely stupid that would take them 2 seconds if they looked at their screen. Noobs on the other hand, I just ignore. The idiots that ask question after question, ignore answers or are rude in asking.

When I play, I try to discover something on my own. If I look around and still can't find it, depending on the activity I'll ask or google it. Forgot what game it was, but I wanted to turn off the helmet graphic and knew I could do it, but couldn't find it in the options anywhere. I asked about where it was saying I couldn't see it in options, and got quick friendly responses.

I think people would respond better if people asked in a friendly manner that suggests they tried to actually solve it on their own first.

Also, I've shown newbs around before, even gave some armor or weapons, especially if I was a crafter. Never if they ask for items though. Do that in real life too lol. At work, someone asks for a break on their fines, I say no, but someone is friendly and willing to pay, I'll give them a break.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    This thread really makes me miss City of Heroes.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by CactusJack

As I had been fighting all day around that bank it was a good way to learn and almost everyone had been cool.  

I spy an ex-UOer!