Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Leveling is too fast to be social

135

Comments

  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,903Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Foomerang

     


    Originally posted by f0dell54

    Originally posted by Foomerang Sorry to hear that. My experience so far has been different.
    Bullshit.

     

    Maybe you talked to a few more people but the games mechanics are still same. You can't deny it with a simple one liner. You should have just said it's not the games fault it's yours. Which again is bullshit.

     


    I roleplay and craft.

     

    So you substitute user provided game play to improve socialization in lieu of actual mechanics provided by the developers to encourage it.

    It's a good idea, and will let you socialize more than those who are solely relying on a Developer's solution, but it isn't for everyone of course.

    Does help to explain why your experience would be quite different than others though.

     

    I get so sick of seeing these kinds of statements. Being social is on the player, finding friends is on the player, making a community is on the players. IF you decide to just float along like a log in a river, that's on you, you have to actively participate to find friends and make lasting bonds, there's nothing a developer can do to change your social skills.

    For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

    It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

  • HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by Silacoid
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Along with the social aspects If the process is to fast, other parts of the game like crafting lose meaning. Leveling turns into nothing more than 1 month filler till sub content.

    Trust me, crafting is in no way in danger of losing meaning in FFXIV.

    I don't trust you. I have a few crafts leveled myself and really all it is is a way to exchange gil with other crafters currently. No combat jobs really buy your stuff because they lvl so fast and dungeon gear is easy to get and a lot of times better.

    Even at lvl 50 if you HQ combat gear and meld the perfect materia it's marginally better than darklight gear if at all. Sure you can make relic base weapons but the market is already over saturated. NPCs fix gear for cheaper so explain to me how crafting is necessary other then to just swap gil between crafters? Dont just say "trust me".

    Until there is a real incentive for people with combat jobs to buy stuff there will be no real meaning behind crafting.

    The funniest thing about posts like this is when people with absolutely no experience on ARR come to this thread to agree with it. Indeed when someone agrees with you it doesn't matter if they're speaking out of their ass or not.

    Dungeon gear is easy to get? I'd like to know how many people here have geared themselves out of dungeon runs with the 3 loot per run divided between 4 people. I'd also like to know how many people bother with this when the game gives them hundreds of thousands of gil to spend on crafted items they can buy immediately from the AH.

    Main class is rather easy to keep geared since the one time quests help you with that. After that you're speaking out of your ass if you think dungeons supply the players with enough gear. First you have to get the right drops, then beat others on the need/greed roll. Sounds totally feasible.

    You either haven't done any dungeons or you're lying. The game is extremely crafter dependent for every player out there. Armors and weapons sell extremely well on the AH at all level ranges beyond 1 and 5.

    "Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

  • RoguewizRoguewiz Lampasas, TXPosts: 614Member Uncommon

    I was able to build a full set of Aetherite gear for m Pugilist by running dungeons as my Scholar/White Mage.  Sure, it's the luck of the draw, but it is doable.

    I'm also a Leatherworker and a Weaver, so I can easily equip myself with gear as needed.  Sure, it isn't dungeon quality, but who cares?  That can be obtained by simply running the stupid dungeons.

    Leveling quickly in by no way means the game lacks a social aspect.  As mentioned before, being sociable is on the player.  If you don't talk to anyone, then the fault is your own and not Square's.

    Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: League of Legends, EQ1 (Ragefire Lockjaw), Dark Souls II, Hearthstone
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall!!!

    Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,241Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Foomerang

     


    Originally posted by f0dell54

    Originally posted by Foomerang Sorry to hear that. My experience so far has been different.
    Bullshit.

     

    Maybe you talked to a few more people but the games mechanics are still same. You can't deny it with a simple one liner. You should have just said it's not the games fault it's yours. Which again is bullshit.

     


    I roleplay and craft.

     

    So you substitute user provided game play to improve socialization in lieu of actual mechanics provided by the developers to encourage it.

    It's a good idea, and will let you socialize more than those who are solely relying on a Developer's solution, but it isn't for everyone of course.

    Does help to explain why your experience would be quite different than others though.

     

    I get so sick of seeing these kinds of statements. Being social is on the player, finding friends is on the player, making a community is on the players. IF you decide to just float along like a log in a river, that's on you, you have to actively participate to find friends and make lasting bonds, there's nothing a developer can do to change your social skills.

    Agree with this completely. So tired of people trying to put the blame all on the the developers.

  • k11keeperk11keeper Kalama, WAPosts: 1,056Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Foomerang

     


    Originally posted by k11keeper

    Originally posted by Silacoid

    Originally posted by bcbully Along with the social aspects If the process is to fast, other parts of the game like crafting lose meaning. Leveling turns into nothing more than 1 month filler till sub content.
    Trust me, crafting is in no way in danger of losing meaning in FFXIV.
    I don't trust you. I have a few crafts leveled myself and really all it is is a way to exchange gil with other crafters currently. No combat jobs really buy your stuff because they lvl so fast and dungeon gear is easy to get and a lot of times better.

     

    Even at lvl 50 if you HQ combat gear and meld the perfect materia it's marginally better than darklight gear if at all. Sure you can make relic base weapons but the market is already over saturated. NPCs fix gear for cheaper so explain to me how crafting is necessary other then to just swap gil between crafters? Dont just say "trust me".

    Until there is a real incentive for people with combat jobs to buy stuff there will be no real meaning behind crafting.


    Why do people dismiss crafting just because it caters between other crafters? Thats like saying combat is pointless because its only done with other combat classes. Crafters make gear for other crafters. Blasphemy! Welcome to an aspect of mmos that you are apparently not too familiar with :)

     

    You and a few others failed to understand my point I guess, so let me put it a little differently. My point was in reality you could take crafting and gathering away from this game completely and would have little real effect on the game. All crafting does is make materials for other crafters and if you're like me and lvled weaver you're lucky enough to make gear for other crafters.

    The combat jobs on the other hand do not need our services except for one thing, base relic weapons. So in essence you could lvl all combat jobs to 50 complete every piece of content, have full relic armor and relic +1 and the only thing you would need from a crafter is that base weapon. Don't argue with this either because I know many people who are well on their way to full relic armor and are their weapons who have done exactly what I just said

    So as an avid crafter and someone who absolutely loves the mechanics of the crafting system in this game I'm disappointed. Since this is probably the single best crafting system I've ever experienced. It has become disheartening how utterly useless and pointless my work has been. All I do now is search the markets and find ways to make more gil so I can buy more mats to make even more gil. Yet as I do this I've found I sell only 2 types of things. Materials for other crafters to finish their logs or armor for gatherers and crafters (mainly the second). I have made amazing gear HQd with materia melded for fair prices only for it to sit and never sell. It's not like others are undercutting me either  because nobody waists their time doing this. I've also made just regular NQ armor for dirt cheap prices only for them to sit until people undercut so low that they basically give them away at a loss.

    I've had plenty of shouts for people asking for melding as well but every single time it has been a crafter or gatherer. Never once has a mage asked for a lvl 50 wvr or anything close to that. So basically I make money for the sake of making money and craft myself gear or maybe some FC members because I pretty much give that stuff away to them in exchange for mats theyd prolly npc anyway.

     

  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by k11keeper Originally posted by Silacoid Originally posted by bcbully Along with the social aspects If the process is to fast, other parts of the game like crafting lose meaning. Leveling turns into nothing more than 1 month filler till sub content.
    Trust me, crafting is in no way in danger of losing meaning in FFXIV.
    I don't trust you. I have a few crafts leveled myself and really all it is is a way to exchange gil with other crafters currently. No combat jobs really buy your stuff because they lvl so fast and dungeon gear is easy to get and a lot of times better.   Even at lvl 50 if you HQ combat gear and meld the perfect materia it's marginally better than darklight gear if at all. Sure you can make relic base weapons but the market is already over saturated. NPCs fix gear for cheaper so explain to me how crafting is necessary other then to just swap gil between crafters? Dont just say "trust me". Until there is a real incentive for people with combat jobs to buy stuff there will be no real meaning behind crafting.
    Why do people dismiss crafting just because it caters between other crafters? Thats like saying combat is pointless because its only done with other combat classes. Crafters make gear for other crafters. Blasphemy! Welcome to an aspect of mmos that you are apparently not too familiar with :)  
    You and a few others failed to understand my point I guess, so let me put it a little differently. My point was in reality you could take crafting and gathering away from this game completely and would have little real effect on the game. All crafting does is make materials for other crafters and if you're like me and lvled weaver you're lucky enough to make gear for other crafters.

    The combat jobs on the other hand do not need our services except for one thing, base relic weapons. So in essence you could lvl all combat jobs to 50 complete every piece of content, have full relic armor and relic +1 and the only thing you would need from a crafter is that base weapon. Don't argue with this either because I know many people who are well on their way to full relic armor and are their weapons who have done exactly what I just said

    So as an avid crafter and someone who absolutely loves the mechanics of the crafting system in this game I'm disappointed. Since this is probably the single best crafting system I've ever experienced. It has become disheartening how utterly useless and pointless my work has been. All I do now is search the markets and find ways to make more gil so I can buy more mats to make even more gil. Yet as I do this I've found I sell only 2 types of things. Materials for other crafters to finish their logs or armor for gatherers and crafters (mainly the second). I have made amazing gear HQd with materia melded for fair prices only for it to sit and never sell. It's not like others are undercutting me either  because nobody waists their time doing this. I've also made just regular NQ armor for dirt cheap prices only for them to sit until people undercut so low that they basically give them away at a loss.

    I've had plenty of shouts for people asking for melding as well but every single time it has been a crafter or gatherer. Never once has a mage asked for a lvl 50 wvr or anything close to that. So basically I make money for the sake of making money and craft myself gear or maybe some FC members because I pretty much give that stuff away to them in exchange for mats theyd prolly npc anyway.

     


    Well, I cant say I empathize because strangely enough, my experience has been the polar opposite of yours. I'm always selling and trading between other crafters and my combat gear sells overnight off my retainer.

    I know crafters like you. If you cannot make the absolute best weapon in the game, then the whole thing is useless. There are so many other aspects to a good crafting game and FFXIV has a lot of those aspects. And yes, you are dismissing them to make a point. Not sure what else to tell you. Sorry you're not enjoying it.

  • k11keeperk11keeper Kalama, WAPosts: 1,056Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Foomerang

     


     


     

    Well, I cant say I empathize because strangely enough, my experience has been the polar opposite of yours. I'm always selling and trading between other crafters and my combat gear sells overnight off my retainer.

    I know crafters like you. If you cannot make the absolute best weapon in the game, then the whole thing is useless. There are so many other aspects to a good crafting game and FFXIV has a lot of those aspects. And yes, you are dismissing them to make a point. Not sure what else to tell you. Sorry you're not enjoying it.

    I mentioned the highlighted part and the fact that is all there is so don't use that as an argument against what I said. And maybe you're just on an awesome server where your combat gear actually sells let alone overnight not the case here. I think I smell some BS but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say you must have a great server.

    Also I'm not saying I should be able to make the best everything I just want to be able to make the best something. Even if it's just a piece here and there. Thats where ffxi did it right. There was awesome gear that was strictly dropped but there was also gear like the cursed gear that you needed a crafter for. I would love something like that. There were also pieces along the way like scorpions harness and haubergeon that required a crafter. In xiv you can just use what dungeon gear you get use what quested gear you get and lvl to without ever touching anything off the market. I just want a system where that is not the case. Where there is an incentive for combat classes to buy our wears and actually use them.

  • HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by Foomerang

     


    Originally posted by k11keeper

    Originally posted by Silacoid

    Originally posted by bcbully Along with the social aspects If the process is to fast, other parts of the game like crafting lose meaning. Leveling turns into nothing more than 1 month filler till sub content.
    Trust me, crafting is in no way in danger of losing meaning in FFXIV.
    I don't trust you. I have a few crafts leveled myself and really all it is is a way to exchange gil with other crafters currently. No combat jobs really buy your stuff because they lvl so fast and dungeon gear is easy to get and a lot of times better.

     

    Even at lvl 50 if you HQ combat gear and meld the perfect materia it's marginally better than darklight gear if at all. Sure you can make relic base weapons but the market is already over saturated. NPCs fix gear for cheaper so explain to me how crafting is necessary other then to just swap gil between crafters? Dont just say "trust me".

    Until there is a real incentive for people with combat jobs to buy stuff there will be no real meaning behind crafting.


    Why do people dismiss crafting just because it caters between other crafters? Thats like saying combat is pointless because its only done with other combat classes. Crafters make gear for other crafters. Blasphemy! Welcome to an aspect of mmos that you are apparently not too familiar with :)

     

    You and a few others failed to understand my point I guess, so let me put it a little differently. My point was in reality you could take crafting and gathering away from this game completely and would have little real effect on the game. All crafting does is make materials for other crafters and if you're like me and lvled weaver you're lucky enough to make gear for other crafters.

    The combat jobs on the other hand do not need our services except for one thing, base relic weapons. So in essence you could lvl all combat jobs to 50 complete every piece of content, have full relic armor and relic +1 and the only thing you would need from a crafter is that base weapon. Don't argue with this either because I know many people who are well on their way to full relic armor and are their weapons who have done exactly what I just said

    So as an avid crafter and someone who absolutely loves the mechanics of the crafting system in this game I'm disappointed. Since this is probably the single best crafting system I've ever experienced. It has become disheartening how utterly useless and pointless my work has been. All I do now is search the markets and find ways to make more gil so I can buy more mats to make even more gil. Yet as I do this I've found I sell only 2 types of things. Materials for other crafters to finish their logs or armor for gatherers and crafters (mainly the second). I have made amazing gear HQd with materia melded for fair prices only for it to sit and never sell. It's not like others are undercutting me either  because nobody waists their time doing this. I've also made just regular NQ armor for dirt cheap prices only for them to sit until people undercut so low that they basically give them away at a loss.

    I've had plenty of shouts for people asking for melding as well but every single time it has been a crafter or gatherer. Never once has a mage asked for a lvl 50 wvr or anything close to that. So basically I make money for the sake of making money and craft myself gear or maybe some FC members because I pretty much give that stuff away to them in exchange for mats theyd prolly npc anyway.

     

    Every person who has cleared a dungeon in this game can prove you wrong in an instant. Running dungeons does not keep you properly equipped. Running FATEs does not keep you properly equipped. Doing one-time quests gives you enough equipment to last for one of the tank/dps/mage roles, all of which can be vastly improved by buying better gear off the AH with the giant sum of money all combat classes have in their possession by the time they hit 50.

    Everything in this game works against what you're trying to claim here. Players have money, buying off the AH is easy, one time quests are depleted. Where does the player go? Clearly not to k11keeper's retainer. I guess that's why the equipment I make for combat classes sells like hot cakes then.

    "Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by Foomerang    
      Well, I cant say I empathize because strangely enough, my experience has been the polar opposite of yours. I'm always selling and trading between other crafters and my combat gear sells overnight off my retainer. I know crafters like you. If you cannot make the absolute best weapon in the game, then the whole thing is useless. There are so many other aspects to a good crafting game and FFXIV has a lot of those aspects. And yes, you are dismissing them to make a point. Not sure what else to tell you. Sorry you're not enjoying it.
    I mentioned the highlighted part and the fact that is all there is so don't use that as an argument against what I said. And maybe you're just on an awesome server where your combat gear actually sells let alone overnight not the case here. I think I smell some BS but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say you must have a great server.

    Also I'm not saying I should be able to make the best everything I just want to be able to make the best something. Even if it's just a piece here and there. Thats where ffxi did it right. There was awesome gear that was strictly dropped but there was also gear like the cursed gear that you needed a crafter for. I would love something like that. There were also pieces along the way like scorpions harness and haubergeon that required a crafter. In xiv you can just use what dungeon gear you get use what quested gear you get and lvl to without ever touching anything off the market. I just want a system where that is not the case. Where there is an incentive for combat classes to buy our wears and actually use them.


    I make HQ gear for low to mid levels. Thats where the demand is currently.

    And you talke about the cursed items in ffxi... um how many YEARS was it before that was introduced in the game? How many DAYS has this game been out? Let the game develop, man haha!

  • RoguewizRoguewiz Lampasas, TXPosts: 614Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by Foomerang

     


    Originally posted by k11keeper

    Originally posted by Silacoid

    Originally posted by bcbully Along with the social aspects If the process is to fast, other parts of the game like crafting lose meaning. Leveling turns into nothing more than 1 month filler till sub content.
    Trust me, crafting is in no way in danger of losing meaning in FFXIV.
    I don't trust you. I have a few crafts leveled myself and really all it is is a way to exchange gil with other crafters currently. No combat jobs really buy your stuff because they lvl so fast and dungeon gear is easy to get and a lot of times better.

     

    Even at lvl 50 if you HQ combat gear and meld the perfect materia it's marginally better than darklight gear if at all. Sure you can make relic base weapons but the market is already over saturated. NPCs fix gear for cheaper so explain to me how crafting is necessary other then to just swap gil between crafters? Dont just say "trust me".

    Until there is a real incentive for people with combat jobs to buy stuff there will be no real meaning behind crafting.


    Why do people dismiss crafting just because it caters between other crafters? Thats like saying combat is pointless because its only done with other combat classes. Crafters make gear for other crafters. Blasphemy! Welcome to an aspect of mmos that you are apparently not too familiar with :)

     

    You and a few others failed to understand my point I guess, so let me put it a little differently. My point was in reality you could take crafting and gathering away from this game completely and would have little real effect on the game. All crafting does is make materials for other crafters and if you're like me and lvled weaver you're lucky enough to make gear for other crafters.

    The combat jobs on the other hand do not need our services except for one thing, base relic weapons. So in essence you could lvl all combat jobs to 50 complete every piece of content, have full relic armor and relic +1 and the only thing you would need from a crafter is that base weapon. Don't argue with this either because I know many people who are well on their way to full relic armor and are their weapons who have done exactly what I just said

    So as an avid crafter and someone who absolutely loves the mechanics of the crafting system in this game I'm disappointed. Since this is probably the single best crafting system I've ever experienced. It has become disheartening how utterly useless and pointless my work has been. All I do now is search the markets and find ways to make more gil so I can buy more mats to make even more gil. Yet as I do this I've found I sell only 2 types of things. Materials for other crafters to finish their logs or armor for gatherers and crafters (mainly the second). I have made amazing gear HQd with materia melded for fair prices only for it to sit and never sell. It's not like others are undercutting me either  because nobody waists their time doing this. I've also made just regular NQ armor for dirt cheap prices only for them to sit until people undercut so low that they basically give them away at a loss.

    I've had plenty of shouts for people asking for melding as well but every single time it has been a crafter or gatherer. Never once has a mage asked for a lvl 50 wvr or anything close to that. So basically I make money for the sake of making money and craft myself gear or maybe some FC members because I pretty much give that stuff away to them in exchange for mats theyd prolly npc anyway.

     

    Every person who has cleared a dungeon in this game can prove you wrong in an instant. Running dungeons does not keep you properly equipped. Running FATEs does not keep you properly equipped. Doing one-time quests gives you enough equipment to last for one of the tank/dps/mage roles, all of which can be vastly improved by buying better gear off the AH with the giant sum of money all combat classes have in their possession by the time they hit 50.

    Everything in this game works against what you're trying to claim here. Players have money, buying off the AH is easy, one time quests are depleted. Where does the player go? Clearly not to k11keeper's retainer. I guess that's why the equipment I make for combat classes sells like hot cakes then.

    Sub 20 Combat Gear sells for crap on Courel.  I have better luck with the 20-30 range gear.  Crafting gear, on the other hand (primarily gathering based gear).  Sell like hotcakes.

    Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: League of Legends, EQ1 (Ragefire Lockjaw), Dark Souls II, Hearthstone
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall!!!

    Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx California, WAPosts: 1,985Member Uncommon
    I can't remember where i read it but Yoshida mentioned that game starts at 50. So leveling speed is intentional. They have enough data now and if they wanted to slow people down they would. Yoshida want people to get done with boring leveling to 50 and enjoy the hard modes.
  • Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef of heroes, MSPosts: 213Member
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Foomerang

     


    Originally posted by f0dell54

    Originally posted by Foomerang Sorry to hear that. My experience so far has been different.
    Bullshit.

     

    Maybe you talked to a few more people but the games mechanics are still same. You can't deny it with a simple one liner. You should have just said it's not the games fault it's yours. Which again is bullshit.

     


    I roleplay and craft.

     

    So you substitute user provided game play to improve socialization in lieu of actual mechanics provided by the developers to encourage it.

    It's a good idea, and will let you socialize more than those who are solely relying on a Developer's solution, but it isn't for everyone of course.

    Does help to explain why your experience would be quite different than others though.

     

    I get so sick of seeing these kinds of statements. Being social is on the player, finding friends is on the player, making a community is on the players. IF you decide to just float along like a log in a river, that's on you, you have to actively participate to find friends and make lasting bonds, there's nothing a developer can do to change your social skills.

    Agree with this completely. So tired of people trying to put the blame all on the the developers.

    Same here. It's not the dev's job to encourage socialization at all. The only thing they really need to do in that area is to avoid actively discouraging it.

    And before someone even brings it up, LFG tools are not active discouragement. Just because you may not run into the person again is no reason to be unsociable or rude to them. Do you treat people you see at the store badly because you may not see them again? The gas station? The DMV? The post office? Etc...

  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Boring, TXPosts: 1,171Member Uncommon
    2 days to level to max level, less than a week to clear all content. Sounds about par for any game in this era.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by moosecatlol
    2 seconds to skim a forum topic, less than a week to hate the next mmo. Sounds about par for my attention span.

    fixed ;)

  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Posts: 802Member Uncommon

    It's hard to be social when you have to turn off yell, shout, tells to combat all the gold spam. No chat bubbles hurts a lot too. If they give a option to right click ignore that would go a long way to fix this.

     

  • Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Grailer

    I remember playing EQ and it took months to level up . In that time I would find a lot of friends who were similar levelling speed as myself and play with them a lot .

     

    However in this game it appears that levelling is so fast you can get a level in a few hours easily .

     

    FATES are pretty much anti social as well mostly . And super newtasically easy xp creating some of the worst gamers ever when they dare to set foot inside a dungeon .

     

    Kinda sad in some way this game could've been really something special if they made it a lasting experience from 1 to 50 instead of a slam bang thank you maam type game .

     Yeah the leveling is very fast, which is highly unfortunate. However, I believe that you're really only going to find any socialization within an active guild.

    image

    Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • FoeHammerJTFoeHammerJT Broken Arrow, OKPosts: 148Member
    Originally posted by page975

    It depends on how you level. On your first toon, your story line will slow you down.

    But :

    1) your story line will make you solo.

    2) Duty finder kills the community

  • EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Tulsa, OKPosts: 549Member
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by k11keeper
    Originally posted by Silacoid
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Along with the social aspects If the process is to fast, other parts of the game like crafting lose meaning. Leveling turns into nothing more than 1 month filler till sub content.

    Trust me, crafting is in no way in danger of losing meaning in FFXIV.

    I don't trust you. I have a few crafts leveled myself and really all it is is a way to exchange gil with other crafters currently. No combat jobs really buy your stuff because they lvl so fast and dungeon gear is easy to get and a lot of times better.

    Even at lvl 50 if you HQ combat gear and meld the perfect materia it's marginally better than darklight gear if at all. Sure you can make relic base weapons but the market is already over saturated. NPCs fix gear for cheaper so explain to me how crafting is necessary other then to just swap gil between crafters? Dont just say "trust me".

    Until there is a real incentive for people with combat jobs to buy stuff there will be no real meaning behind crafting.

    The funniest thing about posts like this is when people with absolutely no experience on ARR come to this thread to agree with it. Indeed when someone agrees with you it doesn't matter if they're speaking out of their ass or not.

    Dungeon gear is easy to get? I'd like to know how many people here have geared themselves out of dungeon runs with the 3 loot per run divided between 4 people. I'd also like to know how many people bother with this when the game gives them hundreds of thousands of gil to spend on crafted items they can buy immediately from the AH.

    Main class is rather easy to keep geared since the one time quests help you with that. After that you're speaking out of your ass if you think dungeons supply the players with enough gear. First you have to get the right drops, then beat others on the need/greed roll. Sounds totally feasible.

    You either haven't done any dungeons or you're lying. The game is extremely crafter dependent for every player out there. Armors and weapons sell extremely well on the AH at all level ranges beyond 1 and 5.

    Where do you get all this money. Cause im broke.. I joke with my FC how im a real monk in this game cause im freakn broke.

    They all laugh but I guess they think im RPing or something but I realy am broke.

     Now I dont do quests or crafting (I hate quests and crafting in all MMOs) they say they dont make much from quests but they all are crafters.

    Is that the trick? Is this game like real life you have to have a job to have money?

    I have bought armor through out my characters life from the NPCs but I figured its cheaper than the AH cause ive learned from every MMO that crafters main joy in life is to extort us combat players with inflated and rediculous prices.

    Which is why i side with you cause I hope the crafting is a horrible experience for you crafters, only crafters i can stand is guild mates cause they give me free stuff.

    But seriously Im broke is crafting how you make all this money in game?

    Also I have alot of junk from grinding mobs do you guys use stuff from monsters like sinew,honey,acid and such or is it all from gathering skills?

    image
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    Originally posted by Distopia

    People always come up with the most ridiculous reason why there's a lack of community in MMO's.

    Besides deciding to grind fates  (the fast route to leveling) is a decision you make on your own, want it to go by slower? Slow down...

    Seems you have no understanding of human behavior.

     

    One person is not capable of being social and suddenly making the game social.

     

    In GW2 I tried as hard as I could to talk to every person I can across. I never got more than one response in my month of playing. Know why? Because the game mechanics do not encourage or reward socializing.

    For a game to be social, the fabric of the game needs to support community building. Why were people more social in old MMOs? Because you had to be. Games were more complex, so people asked more questions. The world was harsher so people teamed together. Grouping gave greater rewards, so people grouped more. Down time was longer, so people filled it with chatter. All of these lead to people socializing more, bonding together, forming a community. It's why old MMOs grew over time and why new MMOs spike at launch and then collapse. I'm kind of astounded more people don't understand it. As a modern example, you have Eve, a game all about communities, and it is continuing to grow.

    Then you have SWTOR, a game all about soloing through content, and it was the biggest MMO failure of all time.

     

    Instances, lack of death penalties, simplistic gameplay, quest based solo leveling, all contributes to a lack of community. ESPECIALLY quest based leveling.

  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Posts: 802Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Distopia

    People always come up with the most ridiculous reason why there's a lack of community in MMO's.

    Besides deciding to grind fates  (the fast route to leveling) is a decision you make on your own, want it to go by slower? Slow down...

    Seems you have no understanding of human behavior.

     

    One person is not capable of being social and suddenly making the game social.

     

    In GW2 I tried as hard as I could to talk to every person I can across. I never got more than one response in my month of playing. Know why? Because the game mechanics do not encourage or reward socializing.

    For a game to be social, the fabric of the game needs to support community building. Why were people more social in old MMOs? Because you had to be. Games were more complex, so people asked more questions. The world was harsher so people teamed together. Grouping gave greater rewards, so people grouped more. Down time was longer, so people filled it with chatter. All of these lead to people socializing more, bonding together, forming a community. It's why old MMOs grew over time and why new MMOs spike at launch and then collapse. I'm kind of astounded more people don't understand it. As a modern example, you have Eve, a game all about communities, and it is continuing to grow.

    Then you have SWTOR, a game all about soloing through content, and it was the biggest MMO failure of all time.

     

    Instances, lack of death penalties, simplistic gameplay, quest based solo leveling, all contributes to a lack of community. ESPECIALLY quest based leveling.

    Though I didn't agree with you on the last thread your spot on here. Nobody has time to be social in modern MMO's outside of guilds for the game goes by to fast. 

  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Nowhere, TXPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Foomerang

    Social these days is twitter one liners and taking pictures of your food.

    Bummer, I am not even social by that definition. Oh well. I don't like people anyway.

    All die, so die well.

  • HatefullHatefull Posts: 770Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Grailer
    I remember playing EQ and it took months to level up . In that time I would find a lot of friends who were similar levelling speed as myself and play with them a lot . However in this game it appears that levelling is so fast you can get a level in a few hours easily . FATES are pretty much anti social as well mostly . And super newtasically easy xp creating some of the worst gamers ever when they dare to set foot inside a dungeon . Kinda sad in some way this game could've been really something special if they made it a lasting experience from 1 to 50 instead of a slam bang thank you maam type game .

    It's called a Free Company, look into it.

    If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,980Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Foomerang

     


    Originally posted by f0dell54

    Originally posted by Foomerang Sorry to hear that. My experience so far has been different.
    Bullshit.

     

    Maybe you talked to a few more people but the games mechanics are still same. You can't deny it with a simple one liner. You should have just said it's not the games fault it's yours. Which again is bullshit.

     


    I roleplay and craft.

     

    So you substitute user provided game play to improve socialization in lieu of actual mechanics provided by the developers to encourage it.

    It's a good idea, and will let you socialize more than those who are solely relying on a Developer's solution, but it isn't for everyone of course.

    Does help to explain why your experience would be quite different than others though.

     

    I get so sick of seeing these kinds of statements. Being social is on the player, finding friends is on the player, making a community is on the players. IF you decide to just float along like a log in a river, that's on you, you have to actively participate to find friends and make lasting bonds, there's nothing a developer can do to change your social skills.

    Agree with this completely. So tired of people trying to put the blame all on the the developers.

    You both are missing the point.

    I wasn't laying the blame on developers for not making people social, as you pointed out, every person is responsible to create their own bonds.

    However, there are game mechanics which encourage, promote and even force players to be dependent on each other and therefore tends to allow for greater opportunities for socialization, which are frequently absent from more modern day MMORPG's. (to the satisfaction of many btw, I realize this)

    But doesn't change the fact it leaves some folks who sort of rely on these helpful "aids" to assist with their socialization efforts and they ultimately feel left out.

    Try spending less time being "sick" of these people and perhaps learn to understand where they are coming from, will go along way to improving the community, well, at least perhaps around here if not in game.

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I wasn't laying the blame on developers for not making people social, as you pointed out, every person is responsible to create their own bonds.However, there are game mechanics which encourage, promote and even force players to be dependent on each other and therefore tends to allow for greater opportunities for socialization, which are frequently absent from more modern day MMORPG's. (to the satisfaction of many btw, I realize this)But doesn't change the fact it leaves some folks who sort of rely on these helpful "aids" to assist with their socialization efforts and they ultimately feel left out.Try spending less time being "sick" of these people and perhaps learn to understand where they are coming from, will go along way to improving the community, well, at least perhaps around here if not in game.

    Ah you must have missed my reply. The crafting system is pretty much exactly what you're talking about.

  • HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

    Where do you get all this money. Cause im broke..

     Now I dont do quests

    Ladies and gentlemen, MMORPG.com.

    "Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

Sign In or Register to comment.