Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Firefall: Red 5 Layoffs CONFIRMED

2»

Comments

  • ZeGermanZeGerman Andover, MAPosts: 196Member
    Originally posted by TheHavok

    The stage 5 TV team didn't even amount to much. No offense to them, they were probably just following orders from management that didn't know what they were doing.

    You gotta learn to walk before you try and run.

    Agreed they got way ahead of themselves.  They expected to be the next big thing especialy in esports but they tried to do to many things and thus never really completed and pollished any of them.

  • TalonsinTalonsin Posts: 1,468Member Uncommon

    Having been playing this game for 2 years, on and off, it is sad to see people posting so negatively about Red5.  I agree in the last 6 months as money became an isue for the studio they have delved into microtransactions a bit too much for my taste.  That said, I still wish more developers were like Red5.  These guys communicate and have a genuine passion for gaming that I dont see in actual money-grubbing studios like Cryptic.

     

    I think these guys have tried to move slow and listen to as much feedback as possible and that has caused the game to move in some bad directions.  Sadly, the most vocal part of the communities are people with very unique tastes.  If you try and please them all, you miss out on the vast majority of other gamers. 

  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,185Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Talonsin

    Having been playing this game for 2 years, on and off, it is sad to see people posting so negatively about Red5.  I agree in the last 6 months as money became an isue for the studio they have delved into microtransactions a bit too much for my taste.  That said, I still wish more developers were like Red5.  These guys communicate and have a genuine passion for gaming that I dont see in actual money-grubbing studios like Cryptic.

     

    I think these guys have tried to move slow and listen to as much feedback as possible and that has caused the game to move in some bad directions.  Sadly, the most vocal part of the communities are people with very unique tastes.  If you try and please them all, you miss out on the vast majority of other gamers. 

    The problem is, especially with our community here, is that some people like to stir it up and pull made up bs right out of their butts. Look a couple posts up where the guy posts that F2P players have abandoned them. What a ridiculous load of tripe posted solely because he can take pot shots at the game, like he does with most of his posts.  I try and ignore posters like that because they have nothing of any substance to contribute, but I'll agree it's annoying.

    I think how they charge for the game is pretty sweet. You can play the entire game and if you want to go faster then you can purchase boosters or battle frames. They have to make money right? 

    I don't really see Cryptic as money grubbing either. They offer their game at a price they think it's worth.  I don't agree with their pricing, but it's not like they didn't deliver on what I did buy. I just don't spend money with them anymore because they're expensive, more than I think their game is worth.

  • MahloMahlo YorkshirePosts: 798Member
    I'm loving Firefall. It's the best MMO experience I've had in a long time. The crafting, whilst not the finished product, is still engrossing and it, and resources, are central to the whole experience. Out jet-packing around, picking up missions, resources and events here and there is really liberating too, and better than I experienced in Rift or Guild Wars 2.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel houston, TXPosts: 7,273Member Uncommon
    I enjoyed my time in Firefall,  I hope the game really makes it,  but its been in such a pending state for so long... and I wouldn't necessarily have called it overly ambitious.  I feel bad for the layoffs, as always,  and I wish those that lost their jobs and the company as a whole the best.

    "Loan me a Dragon I wanna see space"


    image

  • ROFLcopter13ROFLcopter13 Lafayette, LAPosts: 27Member Uncommon
    So funny how months ago I pretty much predicted this would happen, and I even tried warning everyone of how much of a waste of time Firefall is and how it was a cash grab. I got called names, flamed, etc and yet now, almost 4 months later here we all are, discussing the demise of Red5 and Firefall... I love how fate is ironic. Next time someone tries to give you advice, dont call them an idiot and disagree with them unless you actually know what the hell you are talking about.
  • indefindef Thousand Oaks, CAPosts: 344Member

    I guess that is what happens when you spend $100 Million dollars....that's right, $100 F-ING million dollars....let me repeat that one more time 100,000,000 dollars, on an MMO with NO content.

    Why do MMO developers these days think they can get away with things like this.  There is no MMO on the planet that is worth $100,000,000 besides WoW and GW2.  

    Firefall has a good concept.  But it's like... if you gave your kid a sandbox...but left out the sand and didn't give them any toys.  All of a sudden, you're just sitting in a boring ass box.

  • TheHavokTheHavok San Jose, CAPosts: 2,398Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by indef

    I guess that is what happens when you spend $100 Million dollars....that's right, $100 F-ING million dollars....let me repeat that one more time 100,000,000 dollars, on an MMO with NO content.

    Why do MMO developers these days think they can get away with things like this.  There is no MMO on the planet that is worth $100,000,000 besides WoW and GW2.  

    Firefall has a good concept.  But it's like... if you gave your kid a sandbox...but left out the sand and didn't give them any toys.  All of a sudden, you're just sitting in a boring ass box.

    Where did you get the 100 million number?

  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Flanders, NJPosts: 139Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

    I don't really see Cryptic as money grubbing either.

    l o l.

    You will not find many, if any, people who agree with you.

    Neverwinter was RUINED by its microtransactions before it even fully released.  It's still not recovered and I doubt it ever will.

  • TyserieTyserie KosicePosts: 110Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ROFLcopter13
    So funny how months ago I pretty much predicted this would happen, and I even tried warning everyone of how much of a waste of time Firefall is and how it was a cash grab. I got called names, flamed, etc and yet now, almost 4 months later here we all are, discussing the demise of Red5 and Firefall... I love how fate is ironic. Next time someone tries to give you advice, dont call them an idiot and disagree with them unless you actually know what the hell you are talking about.

    OMG, shut the xxxx up. What money grap are you talking about? You can play it whole without one euro spend. There is absolutelly no need to buy anything. Everything is craftable.  If someone is lazy or stupid enough to make progres in game and get 10 pilots tokens to buy advanced battlegear(means, he have it for free, he just have to play and have a just little bit brain). Then he can buy for 5 dollars 40 red beans and have 4 advanced battlegears unlocked for that stupid 5 dollars. Is this money grab? Sure, if you are stupid or whinig lazy kid (doesn't mean with age, but nature ), the you have to pay little bit more to get for example motorcycle, but this is still craftable, you just have to play.

    This game is just little bit complicated and not every hole understand how to play, how to craft, that there are resources with diferent quality, how to thump, how to find out rich resource vein and so on. I am plying this game from beggining and I did spend only that 5 dollars and they gave me also great glider with very low cooldown and sharp looking helm like bonus.

    There are mini instance and you have to craft a key to be able go there. In every mini instance you have tu fight and win event and receive a aliens part of technology and when you have it from all instances, you can build a main key for big story instance. You just have to know what to do and where to find it. It's fucking amazing game. All what they should do is, OPEN the possibility to re-take the earth. Just start it whole up, with story and everything. They should expand, thats all.  If they would end, it will be really fucking sad.

     

  • CnameCname KinabaluPosts: 125Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Originally posted by indef

    I guess that is what happens when you spend $100 Million dollars....that's right, $100 F-ING million dollars....let me repeat that one more time 100,000,000 dollars, on an MMO with NO content.

    Why do MMO developers these days think they can get away with things like this.  There is no MMO on the planet that is worth $100,000,000 besides WoW and GW2.  

    Firefall has a good concept.  But it's like... if you gave your kid a sandbox...but left out the sand and didn't give them any toys.  All of a sudden, you're just sitting in a boring ass box.

    Where did you get the 100 million number?

    He might have got the number from this post in the firefall forum:

    http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/why-are-you-trying-to-turn-this-game-into-a-mmorpg.2260021/page-12#post-34930821

    The9 is a Chinese online company with a majority stake investment in Red 5 studio since 2010.

    "A game is fun if it is learnable but not trivial" -- Togelius & Schmidhuber

  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,413Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DAOWAce
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

    I don't really see Cryptic as money grubbing either.

    l o l.

    You will not find many, if any, people who agree with you.

    Neverwinter was RUINED by its microtransactions before it even fully released.  It's still not recovered and I doubt it ever will.

    Neverwinter is what it is because of Perfect World.  Go and look at the design Cryptic had for the game before they got sold to PWE and compare it to what's there now.

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,413Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ROFLcopter13
    So funny how months ago I pretty much predicted this would happen, and I even tried warning everyone of how much of a waste of time Firefall is and how it was a cash grab. I got called names, flamed, etc and yet now, almost 4 months later here we all are, discussing the demise of Red5 and Firefall... I love how fate is ironic. Next time someone tries to give you advice, dont call them an idiot and disagree with them unless you actually know what the hell you are talking about.

    You predicted them getting rid of their video department was going to lead to their demise?

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXPosts: 1,413Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mahlo
    I'm loving Firefall. It's the best MMO experience I've had in a long time. The crafting, whilst not the finished product, is still engrossing and it, and resources, are central to the whole experience. Out jet-packing around, picking up missions, resources and events here and there is really liberating too, and better than I experienced in Rift or Guild Wars 2.

    When I quit playing, it was mostly because their crafting, a very important part of the game, was unclear, poorly presented, and obtuse to use.  Has it gotten better?

    If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

  • ITPalgITPalg Why, CAPosts: 256Member

    I love to bookmark threads that have "false prophet" claims in them then dig them up after the time has come to call them false prophets.

    The two posts in this thread foreseeing the doom 1-2 years from now will be dredged up just like I dredged up a EQ II post where the person was wrong.

    insert appropriate forum signature here for the terrible signature functions that can't be figured out.

  • ITPalgITPalg Why, CAPosts: 256Member
    Originally posted by Arglebargle
    Originally posted by Mahlo
    I'm loving Firefall. It's the best MMO experience I've had in a long time. The crafting, whilst not the finished product, is still engrossing and it, and resources, are central to the whole experience. Out jet-packing around, picking up missions, resources and events here and there is really liberating too, and better than I experienced in Rift or Guild Wars 2.

    When I quit playing, it was mostly because their crafting, a very important part of the game, was unclear, poorly presented, and obtuse to use.  Has it gotten better?

     

     

    It was never that unclear to me playing for the past 9 months.

    insert appropriate forum signature here for the terrible signature functions that can't be figured out.

  • ITPalgITPalg Why, CAPosts: 256Member
    Nakiato has a good video on YouTube about the way the game's beta is, a true beta, unlike so many others out there that make people expect betas to be that certain way, which then influences their experience with FF's beta.

    insert appropriate forum signature here for the terrible signature functions that can't be figured out.

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    Originally posted by ROFLcopter13
    So funny how months ago I pretty much predicted this would happen, and I even tried warning everyone of how much of a waste of time Firefall is and how it was a cash grab. I got called names, flamed, etc and yet now, almost 4 months later here we all are, discussing the demise of Red5 and Firefall... I love how fate is ironic. Next time someone tries to give you advice, dont call them an idiot and disagree with them unless you actually know what the hell you are talking about.

    But you didn't know what you were talking about then and apparently still don't. They got rid of a team of ppl that were going to showcase how awesome firefall was as an esport. It's never going to be that so...why keep those people around ?

     

  • ZephlosZephlos nine, GAPosts: 35Member
    HAH HAHAH HAH HA
  • g4m3sh4rkg4m3sh4rk Fairfield, MTPosts: 40Member
    Im with Zeph. This is absolutly hilarious this game is garbage their devs are garbage I think they should lay off the lot of them and out source the rest of this money pit to someone else who can put some real design effort in.
  • samypetrinisamypetrini arnhemPosts: 9Member

    just copy pasting it here cause i mostly se bashing and ppl talking about the end of the world( game)

    the majority from Red 5’s video internet entertainment channel, Stage 5 TV. <<<

    plz read this phrase at least 3 time and think what those guys are doing in the firefall industry.

    is mostly just guys that do so video and represent firefall thats it.

    and since the game is already well know to most ppl that want to play it, it probebly wasnt need anymore. wel i gess it wasnt at all since i only saw it once.

    second you can play the game for free >> FOR FREE all the content no need to pay to get something just play the game and work for it. most items you can pay for it are costumes and stuff.

    or maybe a bit more exp .... yeah like no game has that .

    for the rest look for a game that has been in close / open beta for so long and keep on continuing for so long. 

    and getting beter and further in the progress. 

    so ppl calling a game garbage while probebly didnt even played it more then 5 minuut would be even worse then garbage themself since they could tell anything good about the game.

    oh btw haters always gona hate but plz dont copycat other haters that even lamer.

     

    so stage 5 channel goodby, didnt miss you was to busy playing the game itself muahaha

     

    P.S sorry for the bad english ^^ but whos care live whit it
  • WicoaWicoa LondonPosts: 1,602Member Uncommon

    "AS FIREFALL MATURES"

    Young cheese is older than fire fall!

    Am I reading that right?

    It never really began release is still an open beta style.

  • zeuseasonzeuseason Vero Beach, FLPosts: 67Member
    This is certainly not good publicity for Red 5, but on the flip side it looks like the layoffs didn't actually affect the development side of it, only the superficial media side of the game.  Any management company would view this as wasteful cost and it makes sense to do away with it.  Firefall is a hella fun game tho.  I sincerely hope to see it thrive more than it already is.
  • shdwknghtshdwknght Ottawa, ONPosts: 10Member

    You guys actually dont know what you're talking about and obviously you're not following their dev team if you think they are doing badly. They have a crap ton of unreleased content because thats just how they do it. Wait til beta stage 2 and then the full release, you'll see what I mean. They have a weird process over there and their chinese investors arent the kind to take shit from anyone.

  • shdwknghtshdwknght Ottawa, ONPosts: 10Member
    Originally posted by zeuseason
    This is certainly not good publicity for Red 5, but on the flip side it looks like the layoffs didn't actually affect the development side of it, only the superficial media side of the game.  Any management company would view this as wasteful cost and it makes sense to do away with it.  Firefall is a hella fun game tho.  I sincerely hope to see it thrive more than it already is.
     

    Hell yeah its a fun game man. Most fun I've had in an MMO and I've played them all. The world is also very beautiful, it vibrates with life. At this point its just a matter of filling it with all the great content they've been sitting on for way too long.

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.