Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you treat a newb?

Comments

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by dave6660

Newbs are unworthy of receiving help from a superior being such as myself.

I sure hope that was in jest otherwise you deserve an award for proving everything that's wrong with MMO "communities" in a mere 13 words.

You might want to ease off on this crusade to slap a scarlet letter on people.

For me, an example of "everything that is wrong with a community" is someone that has been reading the viewpoints of someone else in their community for four years and still can read dave6660's post above and not just miss that it was joking but castigate him for it. There's a certain level of ironic apathy or detachment involved there.

After four or five or six years hanging out in the same place - virtual or otherwise - someone still does not know anything about the regulars they interact with, presenting a clear disassociation from them and an obvious disinterest in getting to know them or at least their online persona. By itself, that's odd but it's what should be expected of some in online communities. However, you take it one step further and interject (twice in this thread alone) solely to tell others they are "everything that is wrong with online communities," a scarlet letter you brand upon them not by any fault of theirs, but due to your own failure or refusal to actually be a community-minded contributor yourself. 

That behavior, grimgryphon, is everything that is wrong with online communities.

That's your first mistake, seeing forums as online communities.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Depends who "we" is. The players? It's not their job. 

There you go folks, the exact reason why MMO communities suck.

I don't play MMOs for their communities.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I sure hope that was in jest otherwise you deserve an award for proving everything that's wrong with MMO "communities" in a mere 13 words.

For me, an example of "everything that is wrong with a community" is someone that has been reading the viewpoints of someone else in their community for four years and still can read dave6660's post above and not just miss that it was joking but castigate him for it. There's a certain level of ironic apathy or detachment involved there.

After four or five or six years hanging out in the same place - virtual or otherwise - someone still does not know anything about the regulars they interact with, presenting a clear disassociation from them and an obvious disinterest in getting to know them or at least their online persona. By itself, that's odd but it's what should be expected of some in online communities. However, you take it one step further and interject (twice in this thread alone) solely to tell others they are "everything that is wrong with online communities," a scarlet letter you brand upon them not by any fault of theirs, but due to your own failure or refusal to actually be a community-minded contributor yourself. 

That behavior, grimgryphon, is everything that is wrong with online communities.

grimgryphon, don't you see the contradiction there? There are those who view an MMO as nothing more than a game while you see them as communities. They don't consider it a community. You consider their view of the MMO and how they interact in it to be "wrong", yet you see nothing wrong with stating that it is a mistake to view a forum like this as an online community.

In both, you have groups of people drawn together by a common interest. In both, you have a core group that visits regularly. In both, you have people getting to know each other, be it just their online persona or on a more personal basis. 

What makes an MMO any more of a community than this forum?

Why is it a mistake to consider this a community, but correct to treat an MMO like a community?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Your world frightens and confuses me!

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

grimgryphon, don't you see the contradiction there? There are those who view an MMO as nothing more than a game while you see them as communities. They don't consider it a community. You consider their view of the MMO and how they interact in it to be "wrong", yet you see nothing wrong with stating that it is a mistake to view a forum like this as an online community.

In both, you have groups of people drawn together by a common interest. In both, you have a core group that visits regularly. In both, you have people getting to know each other, be it just their online persona or on a more personal basis. 

Why is it a mistake to consider this a community, but correct to treat an MMO like a community?

Hell, there are many on this site that have argued that the site itself is much like an MMO; there's PVP left right and center, there's a form of "CONCORD" that goes by the name of "mods", and you can even lose XP ("stars") if you act up.

The way I see it, this is just a place where many gamers from the MMORPG community hang out and discuss the genre; sounds an awful lot like an online community to me.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

In fact, it is the opposite. I can play a MMO solo but i cannot "play" this forum solo.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Sooo...I've been playing a lot of DOTA 2 lately, and I think you would be hard-pressed to find a game that is MORE hostile to "n00bs."  I mean, if you are a n00b in DOTA 2, you should fully expect insults to your intelligence, demands that you commit suicide, and threats against your family...and these are just the more minor attacks.

As of now, I am not a n00b at DOTA 2, so I don't really get these attacks, except from idiots who are trying to blame their sucking on me ;).  But anyway, I have to say that this n00b abuse is one of the most despicable things about the PC gaming community.  I mean, literally EVERY player on any game has been a n00b at some point.  What kind of elitist jackass must someone be to constantly bully someone just for being new?

So what if a new player asks when they can change class in FFXIV, or gets ganked in DOTA 2?  Instead of attacking them, why not just help them...answer their questions or help them avoid getting ganked in the future.

Stupid question, but aren't at least those getting banned if reported? I don't think even DOTA2 encourages real life threats...

My computer is better than yours.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

In fact, it is the opposite. I can play a MMO solo but i cannot "play" this forum solo.

Forced grouping! Noooooo!   :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

What is sad is when people can't read OBVIOUS sarcasm as sarcasm. Seriously...wow. Good golly. Holy cow. Yikes!

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Sooo...I've been playing a lot of DOTA 2 lately, and I think you would be hard-pressed to find a game that is MORE hostile to "n00bs."  I mean, if you are a n00b in DOTA 2, you should fully expect insults to your intelligence, demands that you commit suicide, and threats against your family...and these are just the more minor attacks.

As of now, I am not a n00b at DOTA 2, so I don't really get these attacks, except from idiots who are trying to blame their sucking on me ;).  But anyway, I have to say that this n00b abuse is one of the most despicable things about the PC gaming community.  I mean, literally EVERY player on any game has been a n00b at some point.  What kind of elitist jackass must someone be to constantly bully someone just for being new?

So what if a new player asks when they can change class in FFXIV, or gets ganked in DOTA 2?  Instead of attacking them, why not just help them...answer their questions or help them avoid getting ganked in the future.

Stupid question, but aren't at least those getting banned if reported? I don't think even DOTA2 encourages real life threats...

Well I've heard that some kid got arrested because he said he would go shoot up his school on LOL.  Of course to be fair, he was just being sarcastic because someone called him "insane."  It was more of a "Oh yeah I'm crazy, I'll do XYZ."

Anyway, DOTA2 (Valve) definitely does try to clean up the trash with temporary communication bans or by putting offenders in the low priority queue.  However, this only goes so far to stem the rage. 

MOST of the time it's usually just your run of the mill curse words, and a lot of times suggestions to commit suicide.  But sometimes you do get a mega rager that will say anything lol.  There is also a lot of racism.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Soloing in a forum = trolling :).

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

newb=muffins obv

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Tbh I try to avoid them if possible to make things smoother. If they are good I wont even notice so I dont care, if they are noticably bad so we cant progress I leave and find another group. Aint nobody got time for that.

Soloing in a forum = trolling :).

The whole point of trolling is to get responses ... so nope, that is pvp. There is no solo-ing in a forum.

Originally posted by Darknessguy64

What is sad is when people can't read OBVIOUS sarcasm as sarcasm. Seriously...wow. Good golly. Holy cow. Yikes!

Soon you'll break 100 posts and be a "big boy". Then you'll realize that a lot of people say what they really think on these forums and when someone calls them on it, they claim it was sarcasm.

It's pretty typical around here.

• NoTxGooDNoTxGooD Member UncommonPosts: 15

Once we amass all the games content and epic gears we tend to forget how noobish we once were. As such we treat the new generation like garbage.

I myself would honor a respectable question with a proper answer but, if this question is posted on the front page of the games website or in there how to guide I would go back to my business and pretend I never saw it.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Damn, you beat me too it!

Fact is you are part of a community on here Nari, as awful as that may seem. :)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Soon you'll break 100 posts and be a "big boy". Then you'll realize that a lot of people say what they really think on these forums and when someone calls them on it, they claim it was sarcasm.

I have put :) and :D, yet I have still been taken seriously in posts I thought were an obviously not meant to be taken that way. Maybe typing a big SARCASM after the post might do it!?

Originally posted by Scot

I have put :) and :D, yet I have still been taken seriously in posts I thought were an obviously not meant to be taken that way. Maybe typing a big SARCASM after the post might do it!?

I doubt it. Too many posters hide behind emoticons and slash-emotives that they have become meaningless for the purpose of communicating intent, let alone anything clever. 

The best way to be understood is to be clear. Besides, the very definition of sarcasm implies mocking a person in a negative manner which seems like something deserving of a warning, or a ban when done repeatedly. 

“Sarcasm is the last refuge of the imaginatively bankrupt.”  -Cassandra Clare

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

When noob asks me something I know, I always answer (if not too busy).

When noob does stupid mistakes on battlegrounds, I yell at sucker

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Icewhite

A newb asks a question about the game's interface (an easy--but not instantly apparent--one).

It all depends on how the question is asked.

If the question is "how do i change size of chat?",  I'll give them the answer.  

If the question begins with "this game is retarded, i can't even..."  then they get appropriate "maybe it's you that's retarded" answer.  

My degree of being helpful to a noob depends entirely on their attitude in asking for this help.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Putting a big disclaimer that your post is a joke or sarcastic really ruins the fun.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

I doubt it. Too many posters hide behind emoticons and slash-emotives that they have become meaningless for the purpose of communicating intent, let alone anything clever. 

The best way to be understood is to be clear. Besides, the very definition of sarcasm implies mocking a person in a negative manner which seems like something deserving of a warning, or a ban when done repeatedly. 

:O.

I have to say, GrimGryphon, the thing I like about you the most is your lighthearted sense of humor.

BEGIN ANALYSIS

--------

Tone of post:  Sarcastic.

Intention:  To humorously illustrate the extremely "grim" nature of GrimGryphon's post by oxymoronically complementing his sense of humor

--------

END ANALYSIS

Anyway man...I dunno, maybe don't take things so seriously ;).  Just because someone is being sarcastic doesn't mean they are trying to surreptitiously insult you or something, sometimes it's just funny and that's all there is to it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Putting a big disclaimer that your post is a joke or sarcastic really ruins the fun.

"Sarcasm doesn't translate into print at all."--Megan Fox   (But hoho how about irony? --Icewhite)

It would make an interesting sub-topic all of its very own, the rejected feeling created when the public doesn't "get" your cleverly crafted prose. But writers always blame the readers when their prose falls short...do comedians blame their audience when their jokes are "just too hip"?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Icewhite

A newb asks a question about the game's interface (an easy--but not instantly apparent--one).

Didn't answer, because these kind of assumptions are a big part of what creates toxic communities in these games.

I could honestly say I meet noobs that would fit each of those answers, plus i like muffins.