Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Build It and Fight In It

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dave Georgeson, Director of Development on EverQuest Next, sent out a Tweet indicating that players will not only be able to build custom worlds in EverQuest Next: Landmark, but also will be able to fight in it!

I've been asked to leak something. Landmark will have combat elements. Maybe not right at launch, but it's coming. Begin speculation. :)

— David Georgeson (@DaveGeorgeson) September 24, 2013

Source: Dave Georgeson Twitter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    And all the big burly men squealed like little girls. This is Awesome news.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    /care?
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    So, you'll occasionally have to kill an orc or few spiders to get that mahogany you want :D
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • logicbomb82logicbomb82 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Landmark has me so excited, I have been surprised at the lack of quality minecraft type games. There is a bunch that try to replicate the minecraft experience but they tend to not be as good or focus in only on one theme. 
    I run the Mature Minded Gamers. We do video and board gaming videos and reviews. We also have a big Dungeons and Dragons community with multiple games active each week.
    Join us at: https://www.maturemindedgamers.com

• Crusix221Crusix221 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    what is the damn difference between landmark and next are they the same game? different games? this kind of marketing is not going to help in the long run
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Good new indeed
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Ya.. if they can add some MC like combat to the game I'll be totally in. Not really sold on just 100% creating stuff.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Originally posted by Crusix221
    what is the damn difference between landmark and next are they the same game? different games? this kind of marketing is not going to help in the long run

I can't help but feel that landmark is basically a early build of next to have the community to build hype, test, and build things to save $oE some precious holy money.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Landmark will succeed beyond all measure. Potential is huge for a crafting-type, building-focused, mmo with a great IP that's being released in an non-saturated market (basically only other is minecraft) and that's free to do what it wants without strong need to conform to EQ series.

It's not in the realm of impossibility that it ends up being more successful than EQN.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by superconducting

Landmark will succeed beyond all measure. Potential is huge for a crafting-type, building-focused, mmo with a great IP that's being released in an non-saturated market (basically only other is minecraft) and that's free to do what it wants without strong need to conform to EQ series.

It's not in the realm of impossibility that it ends up being more successful than EQN.

How does one grade success these days? I find it difficult to translate success in a product that will cost nothing at launch and nothing per month. It's almost like "hot or not"(the website where people's pics were judged).

If they do not charge anything for it then how are they going to make money and call it a success? My thought is they will use the online store similar to Diablo 3 and take a sweet chunk of profit from any transaction made by players with real money. This is one way it could succeed. Another is that Sony pays nothing to players for assets players create and then puts those assets into EQ Next. This would also be successful because they would be saving alot of time and effort on regular artists and skip that part. The time saved would be huge as well since they may get 60 drafts or maybe even 600 and then just pick the fav from the stack. This kind of work would take buckets of time and $$.

Of course if we are literally just talking popularity, I think it certainly has a very good chance of being very popular.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Landmark + random combat will be better than full release EQ-Next. All they got to do is throw in some PvP and it will be golden.

Landmark = 100% sandbox

EQ-Next = themepark with sandbox elements

Guess which one I am playing.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Ok! Great!

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by Fusion
    So, you'll occasionally have to kill an orc or few spiders to get that mahogany you want :D

Hopefully the devs make it more interesting to procure some of these materials such as the aforementioned mahogany. Something along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14D5wKSVlXg would be great.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I'd like to invite you to http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm.  Search away, and play away.  Gimme my MMMORPG - Minecraftish Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Lots of folks still seem to misunderstand Landmark and EQnext as one and the same.

Landmark will be a separate "online toolset" like minecraft on a server, where as EQnext will be a themepark MMORPG with some destructible content that'll regenerate swiftly, public quests / "dynamic content" and the common themepark knick-knacks.

And only the "highest rated" and SOE approved items/building/settings will transfer from Landmark to EQnext as assets, so there's miniscule chances your creations wiil ever get into the actual MMORPG.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Chal_gamerChal_gamer Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Fusion

Lots of folks still seem to misunderstand Landmark and EQnext as one and the same.

Landmark will be a separate "online toolset" like minecraft on a server, where as EQnext will be a themepark MMORPG with some destructible content that'll regenerate swiftly, public quests / "dynamic content" and the common themepark knick-knacks.

And only the "highest rated" and SOE approved items/building/settings will transfer from Landmark to EQnext as assets, so there's miniscule chances your creations wiil ever get into the actual MMORPG.

Taken straight from everquestnext.com:

"EverQuest Next is a free to play, next-generation sandbox MMO built on the ForgeLight Engine."

Not sure where you're getting the themepark info from...?

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    SOE has gotten really good at tidbit hyping.
  • sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

Wow, we sure have a bunch of Negative Nelly's in here. 

What I get from all the Landmark information is that they want to show off parts of the Full EQNext game. 

Namely the awesome world generator that they are using to build the actual full game. Then someone figured out that there is enough of an interest in Minecraft style gameplay that they could make it much more than just a Toolset. They could use it to show off tons of the features of the game without releasing the game. 

Literally this is going to be the EQ Next Alpha without revealing all the really groundbreaking stuff that is not quite ready for public consumption ... and scrutiny.

I know that all my Minecraft gaming friends are very excited about it. I would love to see this turn into the "Feature Demo" for all kinds of stuff from the real game. Every time they get something ready to show off, they drop it into Landmark. It is going to be sweet.

As for the fighting, what better way to show off the combat mechanics than to have your character do more than just terrain editing.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Ok look. STOP

STOP once again. Can we please understand one thing here.

It's free to play!!! They are not going to waste hours and hours of dev time on this game. For those expecting something miraculous around the corner you need to accept there this is it.

There is no nothing spectacular happening.

They have made it clear any all races can be all classes. Effectively just making it ONE race/class that can be anything. they did this because its cost effective. They don't have to spend months sorting out much on the class/race issue.

This is going to but a hack n slash 8 button easy button bash game. They are not going to spend millions and millions making it something hugely spectacular with indepth game play.

Please understand this. It's free 2 play.

do you feel better now?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Crusix221

EQN - Norrath Landmark theme

- Many classes

EQNL - many themes,  Scifi, Modern, etc

- one class, Adventurer

- one theme supporting EQN,  the Norrath theme

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Nice.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i could be wrong

but I'm getting the impression that SOE is going to use Landmark to be a launchpad for associated themed mmos

kind of like PnP Multiverse RPGs

GURPS, Savage Worlds, HERO system

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Novusod
    Landmark + random combat will be better than full release EQ-Next. All they got to do is throw in some PvP and it will be golden.Landmark = 100% sandboxEQ-Next = themepark with sandbox elements Guess which one I am playing.

That really depends on how it's implemented. Massivecraft is a Minecraft server with PvP, but they've implemented systems that make the PvP meaningful. Most other Minecraft servers with PvP basically amount to trying to escape the spawn point before all the diamond wearing premium members kill you. Oh, and the landscape around the spawn point has been turned into a parkour course that's really difficult to run through if you're not familiar with it. So yeah, it could be awesome. Or it could be a huge waste of time for most players.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    great I need something good getting tired of ffxiv.
  • FaytethFayteth Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Mahoganyyyy