Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] World of Warcraft: 5 Wishes for WoW's 10th Anniversary Expansion

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Bring back challenge to the leveling content.

Bring back? WoW never had it. It's always been the easiest MMO on the market.

You really have no clue do you. Wow was hardcore at launch compared to what we got today. Let me guess you started playing after BC expansion. 

Let me guess, WoW was your first MMO?

Vanilla WoW was casual compared to just about every MMO that came before it. It has always been a casual game.

Again based on your post I can tell your days started after BC. When Wow launched the content was challenging and compared to modern MMO's you could almost call it was hardcore. :P  Anyway this is pointless I was there I know how it played. I have been playing games I'm sure longer then you have been alive. o/

Wrong, never stuck around long enough to get to the first expansion, the game was insanely boring. It practically played itself and there were no penalties for failure. And the biggest raid was a measly 40 man. That's just sad. I stuck with hardcore MMOs.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

im OK with points 2, 3 and 4. Veteran rewards are cool, Definitelly get rid of gear grind, and a warzone continent would help the open world pvp a lot.

I dont mind tab targetting but if they would add a different mechanic (reticle aiming) then i hope they keep both options in game. Replacing one feature that works fine for another feature is not a good thing. Jus give us both options and we choose our preferred one. With that said, im OK with tab targetting only. I prepef both tab targetting and the GW2 combat any day over reticle aiming in mmos. But more options is always better.

As for the consol versions, again, if they add the option that is fine. The more options the better. But im OK playing it on PC only.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by itchmon

You really have no clue do you. Wow was hardcore at launch compared to what we got today. Let me guess you started playing after BC expansion. 

if you played EQ1 or FF11 you would understand the term "challenging to level"

even in vanilla wow it was approx 1 bazillion times easier to level to max than in EQ or in FF11.  Not saying WoW in vanilla wasnt awesome... it was.  But it was always a joke to level.  WoW was about the extremely massive community, the theorycrafting, and the hard bossfights in the earlier dungeons.

Where did I say it was as challenging as EQ? At launch Wow was challenging compared to what we have today. They had outdoor content that would kick your butt if you didn't have help or out leveled it. You could die from adds if you were not careful. Today you round up as many you can to aoe them down wash and repeat. 

Let me guess, WoW was your first MMO?

Vanilla WoW was casual compared to just about every MMO that came before it. It has always been a casual game.

Again based on your post I can tell your days started after BC. When Wow launched the content was challenging and compared to modern MMO's you could almost call it was hardcore. :P  Anyway this is pointless I was there I know how it played. I have been playing games I'm sure longer then you have been alive. o/

Wrong, never stuck around long enough to get to the first expansion, the game was insanely boring. It practically played itself and there were no penalties for failure. And the biggest raid was a measly 40 man. That's just sad. I stuck with hardcore MMOs.

Ok so I get it now you don't play any MMO's for hardcore is long gone. And if you say Eve I'm going to laugh. :P

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Oh i forgot to add a big one:

'Nightmare' dungeons

People accept heroic modes as easy and theres no changing that.  Add another level and make things like crowd control and good dps a necessity.  The current challenge modes are not enough, because speed mode is a terrible mechanic.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Originally posted by Dauntis

So what Mr. Fuller is suggesting is gut WoW and alienate the players who are currently playing in a bid to maybe bring back a few of the players they have lost? Do I smell NGE?

Yes, you do.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

5. will never happen. It would destroy the balance already in game.

4. would be really nice, but it will never happen.  Blizz gave up on large-scale pvp.

3. will never happen.  It's what keeps people playing WoW.

2. would be very nice, and i hope vets do get rewards instead of some title.

1. wouldn't bother me if this happened.

Originally posted by emota
    open world pvp

Listen, I'm only gonna say this for the 1000'th time.  2/3 of the map is Open World PvP.  If you can't find any, that is because the player base doesn't want to participate in open world PvP.  In simpler words, Nobody wants to play with you.  Try a game like Planetside.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Wow, the majority of the items on this list are so absurd, I can't seem to fathom how this was even conceived. Seriously, most of these proposed wishes would outright require an absolute makeover of the game, it would change World of Warcraft's essence itself, something utterly ridiculous and nigh on impossible of happening. Either this is all a complete joke, or this article's writer is severely delusional. What will most likely end up happening is that World of Warcraft's next expansion will include new quests and raids, more item sets, a new level cap, perhaps a new class or race, more areas to explore, and one completely new feature. If I were playing the game, my expansion wish list would include:

1. A new heroic class

2. Very high quality dungeons, quests, and raids with puzzles, traps, and some minor voice-over. Perhaps allow them to have some random factor that possibly leads the dungeon, quest, or raid to play out differently the second or third time through.

3. Some form of creating greater faction pride, giving incentive to beat the opposing faction, especially via PvP. Use the story and lore to reinforce this notion.

4. More incentives for players to roam the world instead of parking in the capital city and queuing up for instanced content the whole day. Perhaps bolster world PvP to make encounters more thrilling. Also, add challenging PvE content to the open world, where players of opposing factions would duke it out to see who would fight a boss or something.

5. Some completely novel feature not entirely related to the main game, similar to how Blizzard introduced the Pokémon-style pet system. An engrossing but lighthearted mini-game of sorts to give players a break from all the questing and raiding.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

MMORPG.com's dumbest article so far, I'd say.

Most of this will turn wow into a game it never was, and I'm pretty sure it would result in a mass exodus.

5 wishes for next expansion, and this crap was all the author could come up with.

Jeeze...

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Dauntis

So what Mr. Fuller is suggesting is gut WoW and alienate the players who are currently playing in a bid to maybe bring back a few of the players they have lost? Do I smell NGE?

I know, right? I don't even play WoW anymore, but, seriously?

I just want a Vanilla server. Or maybe TBC.

It's probably too late to change anything in the mess that WoW is right now.

The general summary would be:

- bring back talent trees and free form ability to customize what your character does;

- slow down leveling;

- de-streamline questing;

- bring back cross-continental quests and class quests;

- reduce the rate at which players get "stuff" (new abilities, mounts, pets, etc.).

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• GoathornsGoathorns Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Terrible list. None of these would happen and I wouldn't even want half of them to happen. Your trying to hard to make wow exactly like every other new mmo coming out. These "wishes" turn it into a GW2 clone on consoles.
    Originally posted by Heretic061

Servers with no battlegrounds or arena's. Bring pvp back to the world instead of instances,  lower the stats on gear and AA/paragon system to make your character stronger instead of gear stats.  More than 5 talent points. And mana sytem that doesn't give everyone the same amount of mana at a given level

Servers with no battlegrounds or arena's. Bring pvp back to the world instead of instances.

PvP is where the players want it.

lower the stats on gear and AA/paragon system to make your character stronger instead of gear stats.

Dumb the gear down?  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the name of a person asking for MMOs to be dumbed down.

And mana sytem that doesn't give everyone the same amount of mana at a given level

I'm I the only one who can see this person is asking for imbalance & exploits?  The talent tree does do this, but not to the degree you will be happy with.  what you are looking for is a full order of magnitude or greater in difference?  You want to be both OP in DPS and your man pool compared to everyone else.

• pandaclysmpandaclysm Member UncommonPosts: 7

5. Get Rid of Tab Targeting

So you want to change a fundemental of the game. Seriously, they would have to tear down the game and rebuild it. Every skill would need to be redone. This would be basically be making a new game.

4. A Warzone Continent - PvP Horde vs. Alliance

These already exist. Have you played the game? They are all over the place. Whether they are active or not is another story.

3.  An End to the Gear Grind

How do you propose they give out gear then? Would you prefer to go back to no tokens and farming raids? People like you need the token system otherwise how would you get into raids without getting gear?

2. Veteran Rewards

They already have these. They are seasonal items that don't come back around. I don't understand how you're being paid to write this shit.

1. Playable on Next-Gen Consoles

No. Fuck you for even suggesting it. The game is casual enough and controlers are not equipped to handle games like mmos. If they introduced controllers they would have to dumb down fights to make up for it. This is one of the problems with FFXIV. Gamepad players are destroying the quality of the game already.

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

I'd love to see personal class stories as you level up 

New character models ( they are working on this already )

Housing with perks 

Ship battles on the open sea -- Skirmishes 

More interesting content on alliance side 

dynamic content is nice ( They started on this aswell ; please dont stop there )

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

If they add player housing with craftable house items I'd probably sub again to check it out.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by SBFord

As World of Warcraft approaches its tenth anniversary and as Blizzcon nears, speculation has started about the next expansion. Sure to be a big one given WoW's decade of awesomeness, we have a list of things we'd like to see included. Check out our ideas and then add your own in the comments.

5. Get Rid of Tab Targeting

This would take a major overhaul to gameplay but MMOs have already moved in this direction. If World of Warcraft is doing a full ten year expansion then this should be one of the core pieces to the redesign of game play. I seriously doubt the team would do this because it would change too many mechanics, but I think it would bring WoW into this decade and make for a much better game.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The List: 5 Wishes for WoW's 10th Anniversary Expansion.

A third realm and no more flying reindeer and puppet cutsie things in the game - oh wait, you said monkeys are throwing bananas in the Deadmines?  Yeah - get rid of that too.

Oh well - it will never change. lol.  Onto ESO!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by itchmon

if you played EQ1 or FF11 you would understand the term "challenging to level"

even in vanilla wow it was approx 1 bazillion times easier to level to max than in EQ or in FF11.  Not saying WoW in vanilla wasnt awesome... it was.  But it was always a joke to level.  WoW was about the extremely massive community, the theorycrafting, and the hard bossfights in the earlier dungeons.

Where did I say it was as challenging as EQ? At launch Wow was challenging compared to what we have today.

And we all said original WoW wasn't ever considered hardcore. You claimed that, compared to the MMOs at the time, it WAS hardcore. You didn't start saying "Well..compared to WoW now.." until we called you out. Stop back peddling.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Wow on that list in the OP, the only one I can agree with is veteran rewards.

5.  If WoW was going to fundamentally change their combat system, they would need to make sure that it is lightweight, snappy, and works well even in high latency/poor connection conditions.  Why?  Because it does now, and those criteria are far more important to the game than free targeting.

4.  I'm not against it per se, but PvP is a niche aspect in a PvE game.  It is similar to spending a ton of money developing old content.  People don't care, and money spent developing content people aren't going to spend any time doing is money not spent on content that they would be doing.  Big cost sink, little bang for the buck.

3.  The very obvioius downside is that people have no reason to play.  The drive to continously improve their characters is what drives people to log on and play.  While it would seem refreshing at first, people would quickly get bored of the game with nothing pushing them.  Better catch up systems for people coming back and for alts is something I could get behind however.

1.  I honestly doubt most console players could handle things like SoO, even in LFR.(not due to the player but due to the interface they have to use)  The way WoW is designed you need quick access to a fair number of abilities, and you need to be able to react quickly to changing conditions.  There are a whole ton of interface and game design issues that would need to be resolved.

What do I think they need to do.

Move away from instanced content.  More needs to happen in the actual world.  Instead of having 14 bosses in a big raid instance.  Have 11 bosses and adds in a massive in game area with the last 3 bosses in an instance where you can tell the story for the conclusion.  Not saying it should be removed but the majority of the players content should be happening out in the world. 

Make content more dynamic.  The game needs more spontaneous and dynamic events that actually have an effect on the world.  Look at what games like Wildstar are doing, hell you can even look at older games like Rift and find far more interesting and dynamic systems than WoW.

Make content scale.  There should be no reason you have to exclude somebody you want to play with.  If 20(or 7 or 32) people from your guild want to go and do dailies together, people having fun in large groups is what MMOs are about and laying down arbitrary restrictions on how many people you can have in a group to do something works against that core premise.  Rewards should also scale, in other words better rewards for groups with more people, that way you aren't worried about having to share and you actually want more people in your group.

Remove tagging.  All players should be able to receive rewards from a kill based on their participation in that kill.  You should not be penalized for helping another player or for getting help from another player.  When you see another player your first thought should not be "get away, mine!".

"Housing" as a time sink, as player created content, as a crafting sink, and as a reason to cooperate with other players.  There is so much that can be done with "housing", but when I say housing what I really mean is player created spaces.  Look at some of the ideas Wildstar has in this area.  Think carving out and creating your own mini dungeon, hunting items in the world to attract specific monsters to live in that dungeon(spawn points) etc... etc... etc...

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

My list is short...

2. Vanilla-difficulty:  Keep all the new content (races, continents, etc.) but revert the difficulty back to Vanilla or BC.  I ran a dungeon the other day, and it took less than 10 minutes from start to finish... during that 10 minutes, I gained 2 levels.  I logged out after that, and I'm debating on whether or not to log back in.

I queued for the dungeon as healer, which was pointless.  At no point during the dungeon did I feel even slightly obligated to cast one heal.  The tank took almost zero damage the whole time, and all of the mobs died within milliseconds of being pulled (except the boss fights, which lasted maybe 30 seconds).  What's the point?

Change the dungeons back to a point where they were actually fun, challenging, and required at least some effort.  Right now it's just sad and meaningless.

And bring back finite ammo.  That was one thing I loved about this game, because I had to manage ammo.  It gave purpose to crafting.

1. Third faction, new continent, and improved PVP:  All 3 tie together.  Third faction to mix things up, with a couple new races, and allow existing players to betray Alliance/Horde to join the new faction.  A new continent with an emphasis on PVP, with castle sieges, mounted combat (ground and flying mounts), and constructable turrets.

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Invade Blizzard HQ and free the sheep!!!  FOLLOW ME TO FREEDOM!!!!!
  • MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

1. Housing

2. Real PvP (I like the way gw2 did it. You are bumped to cap lvl and have runes to slot your gear)

This pvp is not balanced because of gear and a little bit to do with classes imba.

or change arenas to a moba style similar to dota or LOL or just add that to the game. I think it could be done. To make it work, you use current classes and specs (DOTA/LOL have hundreds of champions) but instead of more classes, make it so you have to choose your 4 abilities from a list and 2 utility abilities, so 6 in all and make it arena style or w/e just a thought.

3. I like the Next Gen console idea. I don't how it would work. Each class already has waaay too many abilities for a controller. I would like to see it though. GW2 works, as does Nerverwinter, but WoW I don't see it happening.

Originally posted by gigat

My list is short...

2. Vanilla-difficulty:  Keep all the new content (races, continents, etc.) but revert the difficulty back to Vanilla or BC.  I ran a dungeon the other day, and it took less than 10 minutes from start to finish... during that 10 minutes, I gained 2 levels.  I logged out after that, and I'm debating on whether or not to log back in.

I queued for the dungeon as healer, which was pointless.  At no point during the dungeon did I feel even slightly obligated to cast one heal.  The tank took almost zero damage the whole time, and all of the mobs died within milliseconds of being pulled (except the boss fights, which lasted maybe 30 seconds).  What's the point?

Change the dungeons back to a point where they were actually fun, challenging, and required at least some effort.  Right now it's just sad and meaningless.

And bring back finite ammo.  That was one thing I loved about this game, because I had to manage ammo.  It gave purpose to crafting.

1. Third faction, new continent, and improved PVP:  All 3 tie together.  Third faction to mix things up, with a couple new races, and allow existing players to betray Alliance/Horde to join the new faction.  A new continent with an emphasis on PVP, with castle sieges, mounted combat (ground and flying mounts), and constructable turrets.

Its nice to see someone that gets it. Great post! :) I'm sure Davisflight will be by shortly and try to claim Wow had zero challenge and tell you that Wow is not hardcore and claim you said it in your post.  :P

• SteazySteazy Member Posts: 39
    This is the worst "wish list"  ever! Action combat in wow what a joke, after playing tera and other action combat mmos I love the oldschool tab targeting.   The lag in an actual open world like wow with action combat would be gamebreaking...  
  • robrose89robrose89 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Someone, please correct me if I am wrong, but didn't WoW release in NA in November of 2004? That would make the 10 year anniversary over a year away.