Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Movie: which would you prefer - CGI or Live Action?

When they first announced a WoW movie, I had hoped for a CGI version based on the great game cinematics Blizzard have produced over the years. So, I was disappointed when it became clear that the movie would be live action.

Comments

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Blizzard has already established how well they can do CGI, especially in the fully rendered cutscenes/openings for Warcraft 3 and onward.

If/when this movie is made, they should just leave it all to Blizzard.  Let them make the story, select the actors, direct, etc.  They are more than capable of making a movie, more so than many movie studios, so why deny them it?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Just look at WoW trailers and you have your answer... its an entire art style by themselves... 

On top of that the look of the world is to cartoonish to capture in a real live Action movie, it will just not be WoW, and so might end up as a disapointment.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Has to be CGI if it really has to be made, real action has a real Street Fighter smell about it :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Can't answer since what I prefer isn't in the options.

A mix of both, like in "Avatar".

My computer is better than yours.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Blizzard has already established how well they can do CGI, especially in the fully rendered cutscenes/openings for Warcraft 3 and onward.

If/when this movie is made, they should just leave it all to Blizzard.  Let them make the story, select the actors, direct, etc.  They are more than capable of making a movie, more so than many movie studios, so why deny them it?

A Trailer and a movie are two different things, while they do a good job making trailers they have 0 experience to my knowledge making  movies. I think they should be in charge of everything but should also take some tips from Hollywood on certain aspects in order to make it a smooth transition.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

The movie will 100% be both

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Due to the style of WoW my vote would have been for a animated movie.  I have a hard time seeing the orcs being put in with their iconic warcraft look and not clash with the rest of the style.

But who knows, they might pull it off. After all CGI effects have come a fair bit.

This have been a good conversation

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It will likely be both, although I think when you mention CGI you are imagining something like Pixar, Clone Wars, or such.

If it's like the LOTR trilogy then it will have both live actors and heavily enhanced computer graphics and be awesome, dependent on the story of course!

If it's like the Hobbit then it will be a stinker.  Given the direction WoW has taken over the past few years, I'm not anticipating anything special .. the last good story Blizzard used was that of Arthas, years ago.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Considering even the big live action movies are mostly CGI except for the actors (and even then), I'd like to see a 'live' version of a tauren or dranei but I know what you meant. Beowulf type movie for CGI etc. etc. 

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I voted live action but that is really not my choice. The cgi cinematic scene for MOP with the ogre, human, and pandaria fighting is one of the most awesome things I have seen. I have the collector's edition which has a blue-ray version of that scene. I watch it on my 60 inch samasung over and over again. I want more! As an artist myself I marvel at this wonderful work of art.

However, I think a WOW movie would need to be a hybrid like someone else mentioned, I think a movie like Avatar or Hobbit using both top cgi and live action would suit the story best. I would love it to be a complete cgi movie made by the team that made the awesome MOP cinematic but I would imagine it would take 10 years to complete after watching the behind the scenes video of how it was made. 

I recently came back to WOW after almost two years away. I am loving it more then ever. One thing I love to do is have a movie on while I am play an mmo. I have a pretty awesome media room as I call it and I can play a movie while I am on my computer. I love playing SWTOR with a Star Wars movie going, I do this also with LOTRO, and even a bit with Defiance. I would absolutely love to play WOW with a WOW movie playing!

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

To be honest, there is so much CGI in live animation these days there's virtually no difference.  I say both.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Blizz without a doubt does some of the best cinematic cut-scenes in the industry. And before LOTR, I would have said CGI without a second thought. But if they take the path that Peter Jackson did I will be very happy.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Live action fighting is never as good as CGI for this type of thing. Look at the Avengers movie. It used both but the fighting the hulk did was much more spectacular than what captain America did. For a movie like WoW I'd want to see more hulk and less captain America.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Can't answer since what I prefer isn't in the options.

A mix of both, like in "Avatar".

I'm thinking this as well.  If they could get the same Maya set up that James Cameron used, which in Blizzard's case wouldn't make dent in their financial wallet most likely, then they could do something incredible with MoCap.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    there is already a WoW movie it's called World of Whorecra.....oh....wait....wrong forums....