Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

went back and looked at it when it went F2P, every now and then I fire up the clients and let it update. Probably have not played an hour in the last year though.

If they do a JTL quality space expansion that would bring me back for a while at least. Until then why should I? Nothing this game has that others have not done better except for the cutscenes and cutscenes do not make up for the mediocrity of the rest of the game

I miss DAoC

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

swtor was very worth the money box+sub from start to fnish.

problem is that mmo's shouldn't have a finish. Swtor's end game cap basically stops everything that made leveling fun and you are left with no more of the leveling process awesomeness. The game completely stops at max level, this is why they had 5 gazillion servers for about 2 months then like 5 servers. THere is absolutely no reason to play this game at max level.

bioware,  the crooks they are realized this. Instead of doing the right thing they stripped out everything in the game to make it f2p. The goal is to lure people in to pay the sub and gamble some.

Out of principle , i will not touch this piece of crap no matter what they add. They treated this game like a business instead of like a passion which is what star wars fans want. THey have zero interaction with the community.

Selfish company, selfish devs, and a business model with no passion for a franchise that people grew up on over 35 years ago.  Company lays off over half it's staff, servers shut down, goes f2p, gives away expansion....you ask if it can recover? im more worried about the people that think this game is somehow a success. an mmo that stopped being an mmo at max level...if i were a development company i'd have a list of every developer at bioware and make sure they were on the "do not hire" list.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I left shortly after swtor went so-called f2p. Wasn't going to subscribe to help pay the way for freeloaders and wasn't going to attempt to play AS a freeloader myself. While I thought swtor was a pretty decent game at if you just consider story, there was just not enough to keep it interesting once you got past that story. I just could not see subbing and paying for boring "repeats" of quests that were just a treadmill for gear grinding. Boring at the end.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

What makes anyone believe that Star Wars ever could or ever will translate well into an MMORPG? The whole concept of the Jedi makes it dam near impossible. SWG had Jedi and they were OP and had the game continued the way it originally was set up, the Jedi would have ruined that game from the inside out. SOE had designed the game thinking only the most elite hardcore players would ever become Jedi. They were wrong. Everyone wanted to become Jedi and so many were actually doing it. SWG could never support that many Jedi. SWTOR had to water down the Jedi until they were nothing like what they were supposed to be.

Smuggler vs. Sith in SWTOR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zpiIZy6MmM

Smuggler vs. Sith in the original IP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CdicAx1P14

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What makes anyone believe that Star Wars ever could or ever will translate well into an MMORPG? The whole concept of the Jedi makes it dam near impossible. SWG had Jedi and they were OP and had the game continued the way it originally was set up, the Jedi would have ruined that game from the inside out. SOE had designed the game thinking only the most elite hardcore players would ever become Jedi. They were wrong. Everyone wanted to become Jedi and so many were actually doing it. SWG could never support that many Jedi. SWTOR had to water down the Jedi until they were nothing like what they were supposed to be.

It does work out a bit better for RP .. because otherwise you either play Jedi / Sith or a subservient lesser being.  That's no fun, unless you RP (but thats half the classes split..)

I don't think EA is guilty of watering down the Jedi / Sith classes so much as they are guilty of watering down the quality of a potentially good SW game.

< the following directed at previous posts, not yours, ref SWTOR quality >

Take the most popular IP in the world, then slap an inferior graphics engine with sluggish responses, low frame-rates, and minimal upgrade-ability to any decent features, and you get SWTOR, that game that will never include day / night cycles, sitting in basic chairs, riding elevators, seamless travel (modern programming tech), or chatbubbles.  Or planetary flight ... or housing / ship custimization ...or weather .. or lively worlds with activity ..  etc .. etc etc .. and a big ETC!

It's like remaking SW episode 4 A New Hope, but having few special effects and animations, shoddy color, a film that cuts out occasionally, sometimes it even goes low frames (watching everything in slo-mo, while sound is still playing full speed) it tries to catch up and you skip part of the movie, then it slows down again .. .. Imagine Lukes visit to a populated area, and getting 3 fps .. in a MOVIE!! ... The acting and orchestra were great, but is this a 5 star production?

SWTOR had some good ideas, but I think they got lost somewhere ... then you wonder why a computer with 1/5th the SWTOR fan recommended requirements plays other games at max settings without any problems ...

Eventually the issues SWTOR has become immersion breaking (like frame skipping, low fps). IMO.  Nothing removes you from a virtual world like poor framerates :/

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

^^^^^

To add weight to Kartelli's quality comments  Ithink we can concur that EA have learnt this lesson having decided to use a  proven engine for their next SW game.

Originally posted by Karteli

It does work out a bit better for RP .. because otherwise you either play Jedi / Sith or a subservient lesser being.  That's no fun, unless you RP (but thats half the classes split..)

This is why Jedi should not exist in MMOs.....Unless everyone's a Jedi......Or no one is.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Jackdog

went back and looked at it when it went F2P, every now and then I fire up the clients and let it update. Probably have not played an hour in the last year though.

If they do a JTL quality space expansion that would bring me back for a while at least. Until then why should I? Nothing this game has that others have not done better except for the cutscenes and cutscenes do not make up for the mediocrity of the rest of the game

Same feelings here.

I prefer RIFT. Imo a bit better game, with a MUCH more better F2P method. Maybe if they followed RIFT's or TERA model, more ppl would have returned, at least for some time. SWTOR F2P is really retarded.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I completely disagree about SWG, Jedi weren't all that hard to defeat in PVP, it was a matter of knowing what defense to have (another factor was taking your armor off, at least in a one on one scenario). The key was knockdown defense, dizzy defense (or doc skills, which also added to certain defenses) and dodge.

Many thought the only way to achieve this was through stacking melee professions, which also wasn't true, one good temp against Jedi among those that  I found was, Master fencer, Two lines in pistol and one in doc ( if memory serves correctly on the pistol and doc lines, one was 2 one was just 1). With this build I had 90 dizzy defense ( with no tapes) 100 kd defense (with no tapes) and 110 dodge (with a +10 tape).

This build was also excellent for 1 vs up to five (regular builds) not to brag but I won many of these scenarios with that build. I also had a really good dot weapon arsenal, as well as cure arsenal from doc. I tended to stay near water when overt ( natural fire suppressant) these three things were key in many victories.

With the build above I dueled Jedi quite a bit, I came within a hair of winning a best of 3 against the dark side's force master on our server.

Long story short it was possible to have a non-jedi alfa build, it just took a long time to attain the gear and build knowledge.

As for TOR, it suffers from the same thing plaguing most modern AAA MMO's, content centric development/design. The only thing I find going for it is that it's one of only about 3 MMO's out there that aren't wrapped into a cardboard or generic presentation.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• cyan85cyan85 Member UncommonPosts: 59
    No, I don't think it can recover.  The main aspect of the game that players enjoyed was the main quest line for your character class (more like a single player campaign for a traditional RPG), which didn't really warrant the game being an MMO.  The best course of action would be for EA/Bioware to cut their losses, and start from scratch on a new KOTOR game.
  • didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Demmi77

problem is that mmo's shouldn't have a finish. Swtor's end game cap basically stops everything that made leveling fun and you are left with no more of the leveling process awesomeness. The game completely stops at max level, this is why they had 5 gazillion servers for about 2 months then like 5 servers. THere is absolutely no reason to play this game at max level.

bioware,  the crooks they are realized this. Instead of doing the right thing they stripped out everything in the game to make it f2p. The goal is to lure people in to pay the sub and gamble some.

Out of principle , i will not touch this piece of crap no matter what they add. They treated this game like a business instead of like a passion which is what star wars fans want. THey have zero interaction with the community.

Selfish company, selfish devs, and a business model with no passion for a franchise that people grew up on over 35 years ago.  Company lays off over half it's staff, servers shut down, goes f2p, gives away expansion....you ask if it can recover? im more worried about the people that think this game is somehow a success. an mmo that stopped being an mmo at max level...if i were a development company i'd have a list of every developer at bioware and make sure they were on the "do not hire" list.

Thats is not only SWTORs fault, but whole themepark MMO genre fault.

No, endless grinding of miniscule xp from mindless mobs to level or repeating same raid/camping random boss for gear for weeks/months is pretty much the end for vast majority of people. Its just the nature of themepark MMOs, when youve ridden all developer provided rides the only thing thats left is repeating the rides ad nauseum.

It might have worked for "early" MMOs (EQ/WoW), but what youve written is true for any themepark MMO nowadays, developers cant churn out content fast enough, especially to warrant a subscription and pretty much vast majority of people go in to do just that - play MMO to "finish" it and move on, they are not interested in mindless grinds while waiting for new content thats 6+ months away (and in some cases pay 15/month for it).

And no, this is not an praise for sandbox because true sandbox would fail just the same.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I am still subbed but am on a hiatus for a couple of months. I enjoyed my time with SWTOR but it never was the "Star Wars world" that I was hoping for.

Long term I expect SWTOR to be shut down sometime next year. The mention that it was not in a good place in the EA report to the investors I believe is a key indicator that SWTOR is not making the big bucks that f2p was supposed to provide.

The reason it will be shut down is that it takes big bucks to keep the Star Wars license. Every gaming company that I have seen that got a Star Wars license has failed or gone critical in time. EA is not the type of company to put up with money losers - eventually SWTOR will be dropped.

Originally posted by Distopia

I completely disagree about SWG, Jedi weren't all that hard to defeat in PVP, it was a matter of knowing what defense to have (another factor was taking your armor off, at least in a one on one scenario). The key was knockdown defense, dizzy defense (or doc skills, which also added to certain defenses) and dodge.

Many thought the only way to achieve this was through stacking melee professions, which also wasn't true, one good temp against Jedi among those that  I found was, Master fencer, Two lines in pistol and one in doc ( if memory serves correctly on the pistol and doc lines, one was 2 one was just 1). With this build I had 90 dizzy defense ( with no tapes) 100 kd defense (with no tapes) and 110 dodge (with a +10 tape).

This build was also excellent for 1 vs up to five (regular builds) not to brag but I won many of these scenarios with that build. I also had a really good dot weapon arsenal, as well as cure arsenal from doc. I tended to stay near water when overt ( natural fire suppressant) these three things were key in many victories.

With the build above I dueled Jedi quite a bit, I came within a hair of winning a best of 3 against the dark side's force master on our server.

Long story short it was possible to have a non-jedi alfa build, it just took a long time to attain the gear and build knowledge.

As for TOR, it suffers from the same thing plaguing most modern AAA MMO's, content centric development/design. The only thing I find going for it is that it's one of only about 3 MMO's out there that aren't wrapped into a cardboard or generic presentation.

My argument wasn't about being able to take Jedi down. My point is that in the original IP, Jedi were basically superheroes. There is no way to accurately represent them in an MMORPG.

Unless they do it the way Star Wars RPG did it. Players were not Jedi. But there were classes that had force skills. So while very weak compared to full fledged Jedi, most players still had access to force abilities.

That's the only way I could see an MMORPG work while remaining true to the IP.

Originally posted by didjerama

Thats is not only SWTORs fault, but whole themepark MMO genre fault.

No, endless grinding of miniscule xp from mindless mobs to level or repeating same raid/camping random boss for gear for weeks/months is pretty much the end for vast majority of people. Its just the nature of themepark MMOs, when youve ridden all developer provided rides the only thing thats left is repeating the rides ad nauseum.

It might have worked for "early" MMOs (EQ/WoW), but what youve written is true for any themepark MMO nowadays, developers cant churn out content fast enough, especially to warrant a subscription and pretty much vast majority of people go in to do just that - play MMO to "finish" it and move on, they are not interested in mindless grinds while waiting for new content thats 6+ months away (and in some cases pay 15/month for it).

And no, this is not an praise for sandbox because true sandbox would fail just the same.

I totally see where you are coming from. This is why i just don't play themeparks anymore, i've not played many mmo's as of late because in truth, they are all the same.

The thing with star wars the old republic, is that the investment into this game and the product failed to such a monumental degree. This game had 20x the budget of older mmo's , yet has so much less. What bioware/EA has in turned done as a company has been shameful and if someone had the balls, could easily take them to court (referral program, misleading ads, blatant lies on marketing etc..).

the game will more than likely either rot away, or drop down to pwe,nexon level. Like i said though, i completely agree with you on themeparks in general but this one themepark isn't a no name ip, or a no name studio. This is the publisher of games that lead the market, a development studio that had a very high rep at one point. 

what this developer/publisher has done to the consumers makes me ashamed to have purchased a product from them. 

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by tordurbar

I am still subbed but am on a hiatus for a couple of months. I enjoyed my time with SWTOR but it never was the "Star Wars world" that I was hoping for.

Long term I expect SWTOR to be shut down sometime next year. The mention that it was not in a good place in the EA report to the investors I believe is a key indicator that SWTOR is not making the big bucks that f2p was supposed to provide.

The reason it will be shut down is that it takes big bucks to keep the Star Wars license. Every gaming company that I have seen that got a Star Wars license has failed or gone critical in time. EA is not the type of company to put up with money losers - eventually SWTOR will be dropped.

Not sure what investors report you read but it wasn't the one that all the other people read obviously. SWTOR coupled with FIFA is making EA quite a lot of money atm. As to the SW IP , well EA got the rights to nearly all SW games recently , that is well after the license for SWTOR started. So for them to shut down a SW MMO , when they are about to release more SW games is silly IMO. Also they are hiring testers for October , possibly for the SSSP or other content / expansion. Shutting down next year ? My a**e.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Originally posted by BadOrb

Not sure what investors report you read but it wasn't the one that all the other people read obviously. SWTOR coupled with FIFA is making EA quite a lot of money atm. As to the SW IP , well EA got the rights to nearly all SW games recently , that is well after the license for SWTOR started. So for them to shut down a SW MMO , when they are about to release more SW games is silly IMO. Also they are hiring testers for October , possibly for the SSSP or other content / expansion. Shutting down next year ? My a**e.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

on their last quarter investor report they didn't even mention star wars. You don't give away an expansion for free if you are doing good as a business.  The swtor forums are incredibly doom and gloom as well. What other Star Wars games is EA releasing?

although mmorpg.com got some love on an ea press release :)

http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=790434

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

There is a huge gap between what people who play the game think and what people who do not play the game think. The people who don't play the game are talking about the game "recovering" and "surviving", while the people who are playing the game are talking about the new content and the fun they are having.

I notice this because I don't play the game, but I know people who do, and their opinion of the game is very different from mine. They aren't having issues with grouping, space missions, PvP or anything of the kind. The space combat game expansion is a good thing, to be looked forward to, not an indicator that the game is in trouble.

I don't know. It just makes me think that the reality inside peoples' heads often has little to do with the world itself. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by lizardbones

There is a huge gap between what people who play the game think and what people who do not play the game think. The people who don't play the game are talking about the game "recovering" and "surviving", while the people who are playing the game are talking about the new content and the fun they are having.

So I guess all these posts on the official forums are made up by people paying to but not actually playing the game?

Post about how the PvP community has been ignored (It has) -

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=682200

Post about how SWTOR needs a NGE style upgrade -

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=682200

Post about how the game should be shut down and redone like FF14 -

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=682203

Post about why nobody likes the game -

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=681352

Post about how shady Bioware is -

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=680256

Off the front two pages alone.

Lets try and not act like this game is all rainbows and sunshine.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Cheers,

BadOrb.

on their last quarter investor report they didn't even mention star wars. You don't give away an expansion for free if you are doing good as a business.  The swtor forums are incredibly doom and gloom as well. What other Star Wars games is EA releasing?

Well according to the link below it was mentioned and has help boost EA's digital revenue.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=664635

As to the giving the RotHC away free , then I was a bit puzzled , but if you think about it all MMO's give older expacs away cheap or free eventually. You see if you give it away free ( it was only $10 - £20 anyway ) then they get those people to subb for 1 month and try it out maybe stay subbed , also they must be moving the game forward , ready for the next expansion , the circle continues. Eventually maybe on the release day of the expac they will probably give RotHC away to F2P people too , it all makes sense.

They are releasing Battlefront 3 and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be more , they got the exclusive license from Disney.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by Fruxy
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    It's failing or you want it to be failing.

I just see the population falling. 

Which goes against everything being reported about the game. So are you seeing what you want to see or what's actually happening.

Subs going up, people returning to the game, new content being added. None of that seems to say a game is falling or in decline.

Hmmm reports i seen show it losing people...

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403

From the perspective of someone that wanted to try the game when it went f2p but didn't because the "f2p" of it is so suck arse and badly done I still will not try it for the same reasons.

IF the f2p version was not so damned restrictive I might try it, like it and put money into it. Alas they nickle and dime way way WAY too much so I will keep on passing.

So for me yes it is still failing.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Just wanted to touch a little upon what you say here Mr. Orb ^^

If you remember when they released the statement saying that EA had exclusive rights to produce Star Wars games, BUT that Disney Interactive reserved the rights to make any online Star Wars game. Not everybody seem to grasp this small detail.So while yes they got the rights to make games based on the Star Wars ip, they did not retain exculsive rights for any other "online game"...kinda vague if ya ask me. image

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Well according to the link below it was mentioned and has help boost EA's digital revenue.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=664635

As to the giving the RotHC away free , then I was a bit puzzled , but if you think about it all MMO's give older expacs away cheap or free eventually. You see if you give it away free ( it was only $10 - £20 anyway ) then they get those people to subb for 1 month and try it out maybe stay subbed , also they must be moving the game forward , ready for the next expansion , the circle continues. Eventually maybe on the release day of the expac they will probably give RotHC away to F2P people too , it all makes sense.

They are releasing Battlefront 3 and you can bet your bottom dollar there will be more , they got the exclusive license from Disney.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

"boosting digital revenue" means it sold stuff. In other words it means nothing. especially coupled with fact fifa makes boatload of money on its own and swtor is pretty shady on how much it makes, even if it makes money.

I have now resubbed for a month and played through Makeb and i can say it really wasnt worth the price for subscribers and it should have been free to subscribers in the first place. Its the harsh truth. Giving it "free", what 4-5 months after release, somewhat proves that point.

SWTOR is still nice passtime game, playing as preferred is decent value, warzones are getting unlocked, next week i think.

And another point, ive played at launch, at F2P launch and plaiyng it now and number of people dropped drastically from F2P launch. Its another harsh truth. I am a bit sad as it probably seals the deal on class stories. The only thing that really shined in SWTOR.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by Fruxy

I guess there is no answer.  Fans want to say a dying game is thriving, and people who want the game to be better will continue being honest.

No one says it is "dying" (I guess)

I think EA has truckloads of cash they will keep investing until it finally gets good and with lots of new game mechanics at some point.

When this will be, who knows. SWTOR 4.0 or 5.0 maybe?

Look at Age of Conan, was a trainweck at release and now Age of Conan 4.0 is a magnificent MMO, one of the very finest out there.

MMOs need to mature like a good wine

Of course it could happen that EA gets impatient or sick of it next year, or has another SW title coming up and they put SWTOR on maintenance mode. Then of course it´s over and everyone will say "It had potential, too bad that yadda yadda happened / didn´t happen"

I need an mmo to play. Will give AOC a try on your recommendation :)

i grew up on star wars (i saw return of the jedi in the theatres at 4 years old). When this was announced , i was counting down the years till it was coming.

I think with most of us , "hope it fails people" , just felt completely let down. For various reasons, whether right or wrong , it didn't live up to expectations. That's not really an opinion, the game had one of the largest drop offs in the history of mmo's. I want a star wars game and an mmo i just don't want this one.

I am tempted from time to time to resub, because i love star wars and i loved the stories. I stop and i ask myself, is it worth it, what will you do after leveling another alt. There just isn't anything, pvp is in a terrible place. Space combat may bring me back if it has some depth. 

I have this protest mentality with swtor. Having played cbt and tested it and played and subb'd i feel a strange and passionate hate for what bioware did to this game. I don't know why, i just want this game to shut down. Someone can do a much better job with much less and the longer this stays up the longer i have to wait for a "real" star wars mmo. i wanted and tried to love this game. 

i think after reading the cantina transcript and seeing them say "sitting in your ship seat was a hack", i was scratching y head. They have no clue how to make their customers happy. Little things that provide immersion go so far in games. In cbt we told them the amount of zoning took away from immersion. Dev response was locking the thread with no reply.  You see no real passion from them on this game and no desire to do anything but milk this game with cartel packs and vanity items to the end.

This discussion has been closed.