Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously??? I was a devoted fan of all ultima until this...

Comments

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Aragon100
    Originally posted by Nightfyre

From the way it reads, this pre-purchase is the only way to get it, just a head start for the best spots.  You'll still be able to buy a deed and place a house, most likely not in the idea spot for the similar UO merchant locations.

Houses in Ultima Online were important for decorators, merchants and pack rats.  Really sure they are not going limit it just to this, but to those who want a head-start in this area, which is fine since head-starts are in the majority of MMO's now.

And who knows maybe Richard is just funding another trip to the moon and will give up on the game soon after release.  - Aww someone else mentioned this too in their post hehe.

What would the backers that invested loads of money into the game think of others getting a house for free? 

Nobody's saying that houses should be free. Nobody's saying that backers shouldn't get more stuff for the money they're spending. I'm all for backers with $1000 getting an awesome home on their own personal island somewhere, good for them.

What I'm against is the fact that not only are plots available for RL cash, but that they're limited quantity AND players can buy as many plots as they want. This means that people with more money IRL can buy up all the land and essentially prevent anyone else from buying it with ingame currency, thereby forcing players to either buy it with real money or miss out on one of the core features of the game. This is unacceptable. My gameplay experience shouldn't be limited because I lack disposable income. I already donated what I could; being told I have to donate more if I don't want to risk getting locked out of a nice chunk of the content is borderline extortion.

Or in other words, RG is a big fat greedy bastard milking people for all they're worth. If I get a refund, I'm either putting it toward increasing my Wasteland 2 pledge (game looks great so far) or possibly dropping it on Star Citizen.

At least Fargo & Roberts seem to have some sort of integrity left.

• InsaneMembraneInsaneMembrane Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef
    Originally posted by Aragon100
    Originally posted by Nightfyre

From the way it reads, this pre-purchase is the only way to get it, just a head start for the best spots.  You'll still be able to buy a deed and place a house, most likely not in the idea spot for the similar UO merchant locations.

Houses in Ultima Online were important for decorators, merchants and pack rats.  Really sure they are not going limit it just to this, but to those who want a head-start in this area, which is fine since head-starts are in the majority of MMO's now.

And who knows maybe Richard is just funding another trip to the moon and will give up on the game soon after release.  - Aww someone else mentioned this too in their post hehe.

What would the backers that invested loads of money into the game think of others getting a house for free? 

Nobody's saying that houses should be free. Nobody's saying that backers shouldn't get more stuff for the money they're spending. I'm all for backers with $1000 getting an awesome home on their own personal island somewhere, good for them.

What I'm against is the fact that not only are plots available for RL cash, but that they're limited quantity AND players can buy as many plots as they want. This means that people with more money IRL can buy up all the land and essentially prevent anyone else from buying it with ingame currency, thereby forcing players to either buy it with real money or miss out on one of the core features of the game. This is unacceptable. My gameplay experience shouldn't be limited because I lack disposable income. I already donated what I could; being told I have to donate more if I don't want to risk getting locked out of a nice chunk of the content is borderline extortion.

Or in other words, RG is a big fat greedy bastard milking people for all they're worth. If I get a refund, I'm either putting it toward increasing my Wasteland 2 pledge (game looks great so far) or possibly dropping it on Star Citizen.

At least Fargo & Roberts seem to have some sort of integrity left.

I am usually a big proponent for equality in any area. However I don't quite understand your argument, I am a backer, citizen level with a house/plot due to it and I really could care less if other people are buying up land what so ever. You don't need a house in-game to play, I doubt it will give you that much of a leg up on anyone even if you do have one. Keep in mind there are going to be many more people without a house than with one, they will be the majority and they will also get what they want.

Have you not put in enough money during KS or SotA pledge to gain a house, and you are upset that you may not have the chance to earn a house in-game before everyone either pledges or pays IRL $ to get one first?

Richard Garriott is a damn legend, without him you'd probably be playing a My Little Pony game right now. Church.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by GungaDin

A house / plot of land is not needed to play the game.  Its just extra fluff.  You can decorate it, place trophies in it, meet with friends or craft from within your house (instead of using a public crafting station).  

You are basically paying for convenience.  

In your opinion, maybe. There is a large segment of the gaming community that feel that housing options should be as mandatory a feature of the game as character creation is. I was very close to backing until this announcement. I now think that I will give it a pass.

Originally posted by Hanthos

A house / plot of land is not needed to play the game.  Its just extra fluff.  You can decorate it, place trophies in it, meet with friends or craft from within your house (instead of using a public crafting station).  

In your opinion, maybe. There is a large segment of the gaming community that feel that housing options should be as mandatory a feature of the game as character creation is. I was very close to backing until this announcement. I now think that I will give it a pass.

That is one of the most... interesting comments I have ever read. I've never come across anyone in recent MMO gaming which has told me they think that they are outright entitled to getting a house. 

This is a new concept for me and doesn't make much sense. I would like to know why you believe that you are entitled to something like that?

I mean what if I don't want a house, you're also going to force me to play house?? I wear no skirt, as it is I'll probably give my citizen home away to some retard crafter or money grubbing douche bag in game.

• SemielSemiel Member UncommonPosts: 94

For those that are looking for UO2 will be disappointed.

SotA is more like a singleplayer game with added persistent multiplayer/co-op components. Additionally it is heavily instanced and the number of people that share your game at the same time is very limited.

For me this was a deal breaker and I don't even know why people would want a house in such a game.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

There's been a huge popularity with selling houses so evidently Richard Garriott knows what he's doing to make money/kickstart.

But I find it very difficult to calculate the VALUE of houses.

When I back a kickstarter I calculate the value of the pledge then chip in a small side amount that is pure "help funding" goodwill.

This serves me well. I made only one mistake and lost perhaps $2 only on kickstarter backing on one failed project I still got to test the alpha. Perhaps one other ks are backed too much on and lost $30 but I was super emotionally invested in seeing that fly... If there was a detailed explanation of the value of houses village to large and the tax rate and how that converts to the real world cash paid by the person, then I'd be able to make a judgement. I just don't get how others have come to their decision.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Originally posted by InsaneMembrane
    Originally posted by Hanthos

That is one of the most... interesting comments I have ever read. I've never come across anyone in recent MMO gaming which has told me they think that they are outright entitled to getting a house. 

This is a new concept for me and doesn't make much sense. I would like to know why you believe that you are entitled to something like that?

I mean what if I don't want a house, you're also going to force me to play house?? I wear no skirt, as it is I'll probably give my citizen home away to some retard crafter or money grubbing douche bag in game.

I feel the same way actually.  I pledged high enough for a house/plot of land, but to be honest, i'm pushing for in game Inns to be the hub of roleplay and community.

You think back to UO, the best places for me to interact with others was either at the bank or brit forge doing repairs.  Close 2nd was perhaps guild halls where you would meet on a weekly basis.   Don't get me wrong, having a house is nice, but its not critical to gameplay.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by InsaneMembrane Originally posted by Hanthos Originally posted by GungaDin A house / plot of land is not needed to play the game.  Its just extra fluff.  You can decorate it, place trophies in it, meet with friends or craft from within your house (instead of using a public crafting station).   You are basically paying for convenience.    
      That is one of the most... interesting comments I have ever read. I've never come across anyone in recent MMO gaming which has told me they think that they are outright entitled to getting a house.  This is a new concept for me and doesn't make much sense. I would like to know why you believe that you are entitled to something like that? I mean what if I don't want a house, you're also going to force me to play house?? I wear no skirt, as it is I'll probably give my citizen home away to some retard crafter or money grubbing douche bag in game.
    I feel the same way actually.  I pledged high enough for a house/plot of land, but to be honest, i'm pushing for in game Inns to be the hub of roleplay and community.

You think back to UO, the best places for me to interact with others was either at the bank or brit forge doing repairs.  Close 2nd was perhaps guild halls where you would meet on a weekly basis.   Don't get me wrong, having a house is nice, but its not critical to gameplay.

Nobody deserves a plot of land or a house in any game. Unless the verbiage for donating money said, "If you give this amount, you most certainly will get a plot of land and a house." In that case, people who donated enough money should get a house, if the game actually releases. But other than that, no, nobody deserves a house or land. They might certainly want those things, but they don't deserve them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Nobody deserves a plot of land or a house in any game. Unless the verbiage for donating money said, "If you give this amount, you most certainly will get a plot of land and a house." In that case, people who donated enough money should get a house, if the game actually releases. But other than that, no, nobody deserves a house or land. They might certainly want those things, but they don't deserve them.

And if those who work hard to get a house (aka DESERVE it) can't get one because there's no more plots available, they will most certainly just quit the game.

Those saying housing is not a major part of the game make me laugh. Look the gameplay videos released so far... yeah, ALL are centered around the house.

Owning a house, even a small village one, gives major advantages to crafters. And that's not only house decoration crafters - also weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, etc...

Having your storage just beside your own forge is just a tremendous advantage... and having your own vendor too.

My computer is better than yours.

Originally posted by Neo_Viper

And if those who work hard to get a house (aka DESERVE it) can't get one because there's no more plots available, they will most certainly just quit the game.

Those saying housing is not a major part of the game make me laugh. Look the gameplay videos released so far... yeah, ALL are centered around the house.

Owning a house, even a small village one, gives major advantages to crafters. And that's not only house decoration crafters - also weaponsmiths, armorsmiths, etc...

Having your storage just beside your own forge is just a tremendous advantage... and having your own vendor too.

What is this magical "major advantages" you speak of? Omg the house has a crafting station which are public anyway?

As stated prior, having a carebear crafting station, scrooge mcduck's storage vault, and whatever else you may conjure up as a magical win button advantage it just isn't so. All of these things are provided via public anyway. 

Seriously, having a house in game is to show off one of two things. How big your wang is because you bought/earned one, or two how big your mom's wang is because you stole her wallet.

Lastly, you know this is the very first game of the series of five SotA games which are being released. There will be plenty of chances for a house if you really must put on a skirt and have a go at it.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones   Nobody deserves a plot of land or a house in any game. Unless the verbiage for donating money said, "If you give this amount, you most certainly will get a plot of land and a house." In that case, people who donated enough money should get a house, if the game actually releases. But other than that, no, nobody deserves a house or land. They might certainly want those things, but they don't deserve them.  

Housing may be a huge part of the game. That doesn't mean player's deserve housing. It doesn't matter how hard they work at playing the game or anything else. It only matters how the developer wants to distribute that resource.

Personally, I would not spend $750 on a castle in a virtual world. I'm not even sure I'd spend $10 on a plot of land in a virtual world. But if someone is willing to spend $750 on a castle, especially given the chance that the game may not even release, then that person deserves the castle in the game, and the people who didn't dump $750 into the game do not. *shrug*

Now, where it is an issue is player satisfaction. If players find that the method used to distribute that resource is not fun or they see it as not fair, then they can choose to not play the game. It just depends. If seeing people with castles really grinds players' gears, they may leave and the game may collapse. It's hard to say. We live in a world where people will pay $150K for a moon in a game that isn't really even that popular, so who knows. SotA could be minting virtual gold.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Housing is a luxury. You are not entitled to every luxury.  People play extra for luxaries. Too many folk feel entitled to everything.  Everything feels like a big ole game of T-ball. "everyone's a winner yay!!!" 

The new age of gamer doesnt remember that housing isn't a new concept. Back in living Greyhawk (that's organized tabletop dungeons and dragons), people bought virtual houses and items for thousands of dollars.  I knew a guy who sold his plot of land near Waterkeep for 5k to someone else.  Houses, like in real life, are a limitted resource and unless I need a house to beat any part of the game, it really doesnt matter. 

What is this magical "major advantages" you speak of? Omg the house has a crafting station which are public anyway?

As stated prior, having a carebear crafting station, scrooge mcduck's storage vault, and whatever else you may conjure up as a magical win button advantage it just isn't so. All of these things are provided via public anyway. 

Seriously, having a house in game is to show off one of two things. How big your wang is because you bought/earned one, or two how big your mom's wang is because you stole her wallet.

Lastly, you know this is the very first game of the series of five SotA games which are being released. There will be plenty of chances for a house if you really must put on a skirt and have a go at it.

This is true, i have a big wang....

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by dontadow
    Housing is a luxury. You are not entitled to every luxury.  People play extra for luxaries. Too many folk feel entitled to everything.  Everything feels like a big ole game of T-ball. "everyone's a winner yay!!!" 

Except in all the games that offer it, included as a part of the basic price of the game. Then it is just a part of the game that everyone gets to have fun with.

So have limited lots, first come first serve. Charging a premium for sub components of a game is everything that is going wrong with this genre right now.

Think FireLotus will unban me for defending her honor here? LAWL. What's a Paladin?

Originally posted by Naral

Except in all the games that offer it, included as a part of the basic price of the game. Then it is just a part of the game that everyone gets to have fun with.

So have limited lots, first come first serve. Charging a premium for sub components of a game is everything that is going wrong with this genre right now.

First of five games bro. Plenty of housing to come. Those BS games also use instanced housing, it is horrible. You can proudly display your wanghouse in an actual city in the actual game for every single person to ever play it to see. CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW BIG YOUR WANG IS IF YOU HAVE A HOUSE IN SOTA!!!

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Naral

That is not True there are many games that have housing that you have to pay for extra, whether in game our out of game money, and many that have in game costs allow you to buy money with out of game funds. 

Think FireLotus will unban me for defending her honor here? LAWL. What's a Paladin?

Keep kissing ass and I'll put a word in for you....but you have to behave yourself :)

Perhaps a community apology? lol , yea right !

• AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230

all i see is an old man trying to jump on the bandwagon.

"Uh? braben made 19 millions by kickstarer? gonna do!"

"uuuuh, i heard someone sold an isle for several million in  a game? let's do that too!"

obviously this game will be HEAVY cash shopped.. and atfer all it does not look that great, does it?

seriously, just watch aion running on an old farcry engine... and then watch shroud of the avatar.

sorry dude, but these ain't the 90's anymore. not interested in your game.

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

i bought all 5 games for 140$ and that is a bargain cause I can play for 5 years with no sub.fee.

its like playing elders scrolls online for just one year.

hope the game is going to be good,i am also interested in neos land but the sub.fee puts me off.

I cant believe that people said Richard garriot used money of a earlier game to fund his space trip

and screwed the players.

I haven't played any of his games but his credentials and the game idea looks good to me.

we as players will have to crowd fund if you want to get what you want and get away from the money hungry companies like

zenamax media.

thank goodness for everquest next that's not going to ask a sub.and they are the biggest mmo developers.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Karble

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/13/4724762/lord-british-and-the-oklahoma-land-rush

this is the link the the article most recently from the creators of Shroud of the Avatar.

It is one thing to try and sway the avid fanbase of the various avatar games over the years into purchasing virtual (see pixy dust) space to place a house in a semi-protected area of an online community that has not happened yet. It's another to try and now tell new people that are interested that "hey....better pay now or you will not have a home since they are limited" which only adds to this pixy dust house of cards.

I am not saying that the game itself will be good or bad. Just that there are alot of people in real life spending LITERALLY THOUSANDS of DOLLARS to have a house (pixy dust) in a virtual world. 

Where has common sense gone? Seriously......ugh.  I am a fan of UO and played it for several years, but I will be the last to throw my hard earned money into developing any game unless they will be splitting the profit with me.

Oh they are not splitting the profit with people that have invested 3K into the game? hmm well at least you get a pixy dust house :P

Nothing wrong with that ^^^ seems legit to me and makes for more exciting times. It's okay if you don't have a home the game will still be fun. I could let you sleep on my haystack in the corner for a small fee of course.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309

Housing is not a necessity but if I can't eventually get one I don't see myself staying long or spending a dime on anything.  This was an issue UO had, shame they seam to be repeating the same mistake IMHO.  I don't want to be just handed a house but I'm not going to compete with the nut bags that take these GAMES way to serious.

Originally posted by Venger

Housing is not a necessity but if I can't eventually get one I don't see myself staying long or spending a dime on anything.  This was an issue UO had, shame they seam to be repeating the same mistake IMHO.  I don't want to be just handed a house but I'm not going to compete with the nut bags that take these GAMES way to serious.

First game of the series of five games. You'll have your chance for a house. There are other types of housing being pushed quite hard from the community as well, something they have started calling "wilderness housing" and I believe you'll see it get into the game in one of the series' additional games. Maybe not first, but I can't see it not being added in one of the series expansions. It is too popular.

[mod edit]

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Originally posted by Venger

First game of the series of five games. You'll have your chance for a house. There are other types of housing being pushed quite hard from the community as well, something they have started calling "wilderness housing" and I believe you'll see it get into the game in one of the series' additional games. Maybe not first, but I can't see it not being added in one of the series expansions. It is too popular.

[mod edit]

I hope they do learn from their past mistakes.

[mod edit]

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I guess he wants to go on another trip into space. I wouldn't give richard garriott a cent of my money. The guy is a charlatan.