Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason I think FFXIV is going to fail: Staying power

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Not in the mood to be baited.

By the way no truth bombs were laid down.

But clearly in the mood to bait?

You've claimed some interesting things and can't nor won't back them up with anything but "oh gee how ignorant you people are! amusing!".

But I guess that is your whole existence on this board. Oops. That, too, was not a truth bomb.

Pointing out that you are trying to pass opinion as a 'truth bombs' is a bait now? and what is with the attitude? too hard for you to make a post without getting personal? i get you are in head over heels in love with FFXIV but try to seperate yourself from it emotionally for a second and you will realise that i haven't attacked you even once and being civil with you despite of your unwarranted personal attacks.

Maybe that will help you get some perspective that we are talking about 'video games' here. And yes i do find the whole statement amusing but 'ignorant' part is from your own imagination.

I don't have anything to back up here since the original question was brought up by you not me. I simply supported what djnexus said and something which is well known in MMO world. But you reacted as if he was talking in some obsecure language that you do not understand.

Originally posted by djnexus
    After reading your post OP and thinking about it all, im really glad I didnt buy this game like I was going to. When I play an MMO I like an open world, and for crafting to be worth something. This game also seems like its not a challenge. Whats up with all these newer MMOS being released? Im glad I gave fantasy mmos a rest and started trying out scifi games. I just started playing EVE Online and im enjoying it alot. At least producing things/crafting there is actually worth something along with the challenge, and pvp.

Good job listening to people with an agenda.

You really deserve to miss out on the challenge and meaningful crafting.

Granted, you said that EVE is challenging. Suddenly I have no idea wtf did I just read.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    I simply supported what djnexus said and something which is well known in MMO world. But you reacted as if he was talking in some obsecure language that you do not understand.

Aaaand there you go again. More vague statements with nothing to back them up, while acting like you want to drop the subject. If that's the case why keep making claims? Just drop it then, is it this hard for you?

You said eve was actually challenging yet nothing to back up said statement (its as if there is a pattern here). I called you out on it, and to this point you haven't actually given anything to support such claim. Up until now all you have given us is more vague statements like the colored part and "you just dont get it".

You don't have to back up the statements you made but don't get mad when people call you out on it.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    People that after 3 weeks are already bored and 'grinding' their second or third job should just stop spending all their waking time playing games. Take a shower, go out, socialize with people, in short get a life before it's too late and you find yourself a lonely failure in life
  • Birdy1988Birdy1988 Member Posts: 14

What the hell is the point you people's arguement? EVE IS harder than FFXIV in many ways, learning curve, complexity. but its also just harder because players are assholes and its an open PvP where assholes get to be assholes but its ok because they are "roleplaying".

Hell, the PvE and Gathering/crafting in EVE is easy and boring.

No wait, EVE in general is boring. who wants to play a spaceship game where you just point and click.... honestly.

So yes, even might be more complex, more difficult. but its also an empty sandbox where you mindlessly grind rocks/ships until you've waited several months worth of training to go "roleplay" against other players.

sandbox fanboys need to get off their pedestal. come back when a damn sandbox game is actually AAA quality, has good combat/gameplay that isn't boring and non-functional (Im looking at you darkfall). until then get over yourselves.

NONE of you have beat bahamut. end of story. no one has yet.

I simply supported what djnexus said and something which is well known in MMO world. But you reacted as if he was talking in some obsecure language that you do not understand.

Aaaand there you go again. More vague statements with nothing to back them up, while acting like you want to drop the subject. If that's the case why keep making claims? Just drop it then, is it this hard for you?

You said eve was actually challenging yet nothing to back up said statement (its as if there is a pattern here). I called you out on it, and to this point you haven't actually given anything to support such claim. Up until now all you have given us is more vague statements like the colored part and "you just dont get it".

You don't have to back up the statements you made but don't get mad when people call you out on it.

I simply stated that it is a popular opinion and unless you have been living under a rock over the years i am 100% sure you know that too. However, you agree with that popular opinion or not is another matter. If you think you can convince people into thinking that FFXIV is more challenging than EVE than you are  in minority. And i doubt that other than hardcore FFXIV fans as yourself, anyone is going to agree with you.

Simplistic single player storyline gameplay from lvl 1 to 50 devoid of any challenge, most mind numbing, generic and trivial side quests, watered down crafting and gathering from 1.0 (and i thought 1.0 was bad in comparison to FFXI), no danger in exploration within a small shoe sized world. The only challenge comes at hard modes once you hit 50 which is akin of typical themepark MMO model. Easy ride from lvl 1 to level cap and then throw in some hard mode dungeons... RIFT did that quite successfully already.

FFXIV is just copy pasting the same themepark formula but somehow it is more challenging than EVE? if i use that logic than i guess every themepark MMO since days of WOW is more challenging and complex than Eve.

Its amazing that you are even arguing about this with a straight face.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

I also think this game is going to fail. I'm not going to crit you with a wall of text explaining why, because it can be summed up with very few words:

Though this game looks great, it's just incredibly boring.

Simple as that.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Netspook

I also think this game is going to fail. I'm not going to crit you with a wall of text explaining why, because it can be summed up with very few words:

Simple as that.

Are you old enough to remember playing Pong? Now THAT was boring - FF ARR is NOT boring...at all...not even a little bit.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Kinda funny when you just look at the same names and determine if there comment is going to be good about the game or bad,trolling. lol.  anyways i'm enjoying the game got to 50 on my first class in a week but now the grind is on crafting gathering other skills pretty fun to me.
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by echolynfan

Simple as that.

Are you old enough to remember playing Pong? Now THAT was boring - FF ARR is NOT boring...at all...not even a little bit.

Pong was innovative for it's time. FFXIV is not.

Simplistic single player storyline gameplay from lvl 1 to 50 devoid of any challenge, most mind numbing, generic and trivial side quests, watered down crafting and gathering from 1.0 (and i thought 1.0 was bad in comparison to FFXI), no danger in exploration within a small shoe sized world. The only challenge comes at hard modes once you hit 50 which is akin of typical themepark MMO model. Easy ride from lvl 1 to level cap and then throw in some hard mode dungeons... RIFT did that quite successfully already.

FFXIV is just copy pasting the same themepark formula but somehow it is more challenging than EVE? if i use that logic than i guess every themepark MMO since days of WOW is more challenging and complex than Eve.

Finally I got a real reply out of you. I don't know why you were so scared of telling us all this, it's not like I need to reply back. What you say speaks for itself. We can lay the argument to rest.

Simple as that.

Yes because innovative is automatically better AMIRITE?

lol GW2 failed. NWN failed. Tera Failed, whats next on the "basically we don't like RPG's we want to transform this genre into casual no-roles action spam fest" fails. everquest NEXT maybe?

I simply stated that it is a popular opinion and unless you have been living under a rock over the years i am 100% sure you know that too. However, you agree with that popular opinion or not is another matter. If you think you can convince people into thinking that FFXIV is more challenging than EVE than you are  in minority. And i doubt that other than hardcore FFXIV fans as yourself, anyone is going to agree with you.

I find it ironic someone complaining about trivial quests when EVE's missions are basically for your first 1000 hours "go here, shoot these ships, deliver something, watch your ship move at 1 mile per hour as a boring drone of an a.i voice goes "warp engaged" over and over and over.

Call me old, wiser or jsut not in "teen goggles" anymore, but time is valuable, the olds chool mmo's didn't care about my time or life. modern ones do

so yes I strolled to level 50, had decent story, did some nice dungeons on the way, now I am challenged with a pretty damn difficult end game.

so when I say this, I say it sincerely that I and most people who value their time and life couldn't give a damn if we are not punished for playing a GAME over and over from level 1 by cheap zone difficulty or players thinking they are hip-hop-badasses for killing people alot newer/weaker than them.

if you don't like theme parks then why the hell are you here?

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

How has GW2 failed? Or Neverwinter for that matter. Tera is still around, but the sub (wow like) game warhammer is gone.  Just saying something, even if its said a lot doesn't make it true.

I don't even understand the point.  FF is VERY casual. You can level to 50 faster than any of the games you dislike.  FF is a themepark.  

It needs people to stay and play, but because the game is so casual it appears to be cutting its own throat.  If anything a sub game should be adding timesinks. It should take months or longer to hit the level cap.

Simple as that.

Sigh...no sense of hurmor...

Originally posted by Ryowulf

How has GW2 failed? Or Neverwinter for that matter. Tera is still around, but the sub (wow like) game warhammer is gone.  Just saying something, even if its said a lot doesn't make it true.

I don't even understand the point.  FF is VERY casual. You can level to 50 faster than any of the games you dislike.  FF is a themepark.  

It needs people to stay and play, but because the game is so casual it appears to be cutting its own throat.  If anything a sub game should be adding timesinks. It should take months or longer to hit the level cap.

Sigh, fed up of people lying to me.

I maxxed 80 and 99% map on Guild Wars 2 in under a week. I then had nothing from a PvE perspective WORTH DOING.

that is a giant fail. Aesthetic gear? so friggin what most of the dungeons and bosses are so poorly designed and it was hard finding groups. because people felt the same way.

NWN was mediocre in every faucet.

Tera ... ugh. nice flashy graphics and action... horrible setting..

Max level Jedi Shadow in under a week.

Max Level NWN character in 4 days.

Tera wasn't worth finishing.

Hell you can go 1-90 in wow in 2-3 days.

NO MODERN MMOS LEVELING IS LONGER THAN A WEEK.

FF is so casual? have you done titan hard mode? have you done binding coil of bahamut? have you got all the classes that boost your main class leveled up? done the crafting?

4 weeks time 4 more hard modes, a 24 man raid, new primal, PvP, treasure hunting.

sorry mate, but guild wars 2, NWN and SWTOR had far less challenge on release.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Simple as that.

As a video game, Pong was not innovative. It was a video game console released in the mid 70s for home use but, it hadn't changed much from it's earliest introduction (forgive me if my memory is off but I can't be bothered to Google this, feel free to correct me though) in a Wolds Fair from the late 40s on a Cathode Ray Tube device. Point is, Pong was pretty much the same video game unchanged for 30 years. Talk about your "clone"

Originally posted by Birdy1988

I find it ironic someone complaining about trivial quests when EVE's missions are basically for your first 1000 hours "go here, shoot these ships, deliver something, watch your ship move at 1 mile per hour as a boring drone of an a.i voice goes "warp engaged" over and over and over.

Call me old, wiser or jsut not in "teen goggles" anymore, but time is valuable, the olds chool mmo's didn't care about my time or life. modern ones do

so yes I strolled to level 50, had decent story, did some nice dungeons on the way, now I am challenged with a pretty damn difficult end game.

so when I say this, I say it sincerely that I and most people who value their time and life couldn't give a damn if we are not punished for playing a GAME over and over from level 1 by cheap zone difficulty or players thinking they are hip-hop-badasses for killing people alot newer/weaker than them.

You don't really have to go this far, everyone with some sense in them can figure out the irony in what this guy is saying. His posts do all the talking.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Simple as that.

QFT

Originally posted by Yizle

Simple as that.

QFT

Cuz all the innovative games were runaway blockbusters right?

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Yizle

Simple as that.

QFT

Cuz all the innovative games were runaway blockbusters right?

I still can't believe people took my Pong comment seriously...it was a joke - but FF ARR is NOT = best MMO I've played in 5 years. The crafting system is definitely superior to everything that has come out in years. 

Also - I'm still waiting for someone to tell me of an MMO that is out right now that is better in this regard. 

`

You don't really have to go this far, everyone with some sense in them can figure out the irony in what this guy is saying. His posts do all the talking.

Everyone with some sense in them wouldn't even compare FFXIV with EVE in terms of challenge and complexity. You are not even trying anymore. 

All those missions about go there and shoot these things are not trivial because there is always one important element to it....other players. Unless you want to spend rest of your gameplay time in high security zone that is your choice but then again you are still not safe and it is still not trivial. 

But hey good job on picking up on small feature from a huge MMO like EVE to make your point. Just shows how much time you actually spent playing EVE. What about FFXIV? other than hard modes which come at 50 what else is there which makes FFXIV challenging and complex? this is a typical themepark formula and EVE is anything but typical. EVE gives you a  choice from the get go...what choice or freedom do players have in FFXIV? you follow a single path to lvl 50 and then you start doing hard modes. FFXIV is as linear as themepark MMOS can get.

I find it ironic that you talk about people who value their time and life and yet brag about hard modes at lvl 50 and the amount of time sink that goes into grinding those every single day to get one peice of shiny gear. 

Also i would appreciate if you stop assuming. Only because people dislike FFXIV doesn't mean they dislike entire themepark genre. I still enjoy Rift and WOW a lot..and it already did hard modes bigger and better. FFXIV is like a little toddler trying to copy the grown ups and failing so far.

Everyone with some sense in them wouldn't even compare FFXIV with EVE in terms of challenge and complexity. You are not even trying anymore. 

All those missions about go there and shoot these things are not trivial because there is always one important element to it....other players. Unless you want to spend rest of your gameplay time in high security zone that is your choice but then again you are still not safe and it is still not trivial. 

But hey good job on picking up on small feature from a huge MMO like EVE to make your point. Just shows how much time you actually spent playing EVE. What about FFXIV? other than hard modes which come at 50 what else is there which makes FFXIV challenging and complex? this is a typical themepark formula and EVE is anything but typical. EVE gives you a  choice from the get go...what choice or freedom do players have in FFXIV? you follow a single path to lvl 50 and then you start doing hard modes. FFXIV is as linear as themepark MMOS can get.

I find it ironic that you talk about people who value their time and life and yet brag about hard modes at lvl 50 and the amount of time sink that goes into grinding those every single day to get one peice of shiny gear. 

Also i would appreciate if you stop assuming. Only because people dislike FFXIV doesn't mean they dislike entire themepark genre. I still enjoy Rift and WOW a lot..and it already did hard modes bigger and better. FFXIV is like a little toddler trying to copy the grown ups and failing so far.

Exactly what you have been doing to FF14 over and over and over and over. Oh, and EVE.......it's not really that huge.It's more of a financial success than a success as a great game. If it wasn't for CCP ingeniously figuring out how to exploit the lower to mediocre players, the game's unique active playerbase would probably be lucky to break into the high 5/ low 6 figure in population. The vast majority of their claim to half million subs is all PLEX that funnles huge advantages in the form of those extra accounts to the big boys. By most current standards, based on it's population (not subs) it's a niche game.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Exactly what you have been doing to FF14 over and over and over and over. Oh, and EVE.......it's not really that huge.It's more of a financial success than a success as a great game. If it wasn't for CCP ingeniously figuring out how to exploit the lower to mediocre players, the game's unique active playerbase would probably be lucky to break into the high 5/ low 6 figure in population. The vast majority of their claim to half million subs is all PLEX that funnles huge advantages in the form of those extra accounts to the big boys. By most current standards, based on it's population (not subs) it's a niche game.

Am i surprised you are trying to downplay the success of EVE? nope.  And nope it is not exactly the same thing. If people who with straight face are saying that FFXIV is more challenging than EVE then they must also believe that every single themepark MMO since WOW is in same threshold of challenge.

EVE on whole is a complex game so it is just dishonest to pick up something like 'missions' and to try to disregard rest of the game on basis of that. Where as in FFXIV like every other single themepark MMO that came before it the only little challenge that comes is in hard modes. So please pray tell how it is exactly the same thing. 

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by Cymdai

I'd like to read your opinions on this. Share your name, your levels, your server, etc, and let me know what you think. Do you believe FFXIV has the staying power of other MMO's? if so, why, and if not, why not?

No. Uninstalled beta because I was told to "look forward to it" when they basically told the beta people to shut up and take the game they were giving us. What you have is what they think the players "want".

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.