Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP Video ~ 19/9/13

Comments

• ilivesilives Member Posts: 418
    Still as clunky and desynced as always, sad.

Where have all the "good" shills gone?

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

This looks even worse then how i remember the game..

Wonder how long it'll take before we get a game like this that doesn't suck..

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I remember the pvp to be much more fun then that. 

Perhaps the horrible background music is throwing me off.

• PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

Some people are actually playing this thing lol

This shows how personal bad tastes can be so different in humans.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

videos like this do mo no favors.

aq produced the best mo videos  because they have members who actually made an effort

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01p4M-SKB_g

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

Those are the best?  lol

It is what it is, no matter how you try to spin it.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    ..Are we going to just ignore some random cow (?) being stuck halfway into the roof of a building? 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

This game had such potential years ago.  It's a shame to see it's state 3 years after release. 

What a waste...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Nekky_FateNekky_Fate Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I hope this video wasn't made to get people interested in this game...
  • psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Toferio
    ..Are we going to just ignore some random cow (?) being stuck halfway into the roof of a building? 

And the vendors spawned on the roof on the other building...  Can't believe they still haven't figured out basic x-y-z axis positioning of mobs/npcs.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Take a look at 37 seconds into the video.  The guy hits him from 10 feet away and it looks like the hit came right through the roof.  I cant believe the hit prediction is still so fricken bad in this game.  I feel bad for the 2000 people who play this.  Is this the best game they can find to satisfy their PVP craving?  Isnt DAoC still running?  If this were the year 1998 I could understand the playing of this game but in 2013 there just seems like there are so many better choices than this game. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Take a look at 37 seconds into the video.  The guy hits him from 10 feet away and it looks like the hit came right through the roof.  I cant believe the hit prediction is still so fricken bad in this game.  I feel bad for the 2000 people who play this.  Is this the best game they can find to satisfy their PVP craving?  Isnt DAoC still running?  If this were the year 1998 I could understand the playing of this game but in 2013 there just seems like there are so many better choices than this game. 

No, if you want full loot drop in a nonlinear fantasy game with a deep crafting system and mostly all crafted gear this is pretty much it.

For what many of us consider an actual sandbox PVE/PVP game there aren't other games, so there aren't really any better games.

The game doesn't really look like this video anyways.  Maybe if played on a PC from 2001.  These bugs you guys are seeing aren't things I typically see while playing.  Its possible I don't notice some things though because they just don't impact what i'm doing. 

If anyone ever points out any actual title that has all of the good things about Mortal Online, i'll consider switching to that title.  That would probably involve someone trying to actually understand what is so great about Mortal Online though and I see very few people around here that are willing to do this.  It doesn't matter though because there is no such title.  

Deep crafting? Is that a joke or are you new?

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
     That would probably involve someone trying to actually understand what is so great about Mortal Online though and I see very few people around here that are willing to do this.

If something were really great it would not take extraordinary effort for people to appreciate it. Sometimes a lump of poop is really just a lump of poop, no matter how hard the "artist" tries to explain to you how special it is and tried to convince you that you just don't understand it's greatness.

I have no doubt that you really enjoy your time in the game.  I also have no doubt that 99% of the people that quit, fully appreciated what it was that they were quitting and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with them. They didn;t play the game the wrong way, they just saw MO for what it was and is.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

I think I played a better version of this game on steam called Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. 

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175

My new goal is for me to be able to yell this out in public one day and it actually make sense.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    This makes Mount and Blade look like current gen.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

This game had such potential years ago.  It's a shame to see it's state 3 years after release. 

What a waste...

Thats why you build your own game engine and dont use UDK for a mmo.

That would probably involve someone trying to actually understand what is so great about Mortal Online though and I see very few people around here that are willing to do this.

If something were really great it would not take extraordinary effort for people to appreciate it. Sometimes a lump of poop is really just a lump of poop, no matter how hard the "artist" tries to explain to you how special it is and tried to convince you that you just don't understand it's greatness.

I have no doubt that you really enjoy your time in the game.  I also have no doubt that 99% of the people that quit, fully appreciated what it was that they were quitting and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with them. They didn;t play the game the wrong way, they just saw MO for what it was and is.

I disagree that 99% of the people who play the game and quit see MO for what it was and is.  As evidenced within this thread many are simply focusing on the bad aspects of the video (and there are plenty to focus on) and running the game down. I'm not certain you have any way to back up that statistic.  

Regardless, none of that has anything to do with my statement, which was removed from its context, that to find a game with all of MO's great attributes, one would have to first understand what those attributes are.  Ignoring my point and focusing on one statement alone only further illustrates the behavior I was trying to point out in the first place.  

Nobody is saying anyone should enjoy the game.  I only said that in order to find a suitable replacement game for those that do enjoy the game would require an understanding of what it is we like about it -- this in no way implies I feel you should gain a deeper understanding of MO.  

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411
    Originally posted by Talonsin

No, if you want full loot drop in a nonlinear fantasy game with a deep crafting system and mostly all crafted gear this is pretty much it.

MO is not "nonlinear", there is simply so little content so there is no progression to even speak of, other than skill grinding and few random monsters. 

Originally posted by Ikisis

Thats why you build your own game engine and dont use UDK for a mmo.

They used Unreal, not UDK afaik. While they could have chosen a better engine, unreal is not the worst choice when it comes to MMOs but it requires serious networking solutions that SV are incapable of. That being said, you really think that they could have made own engine, being the scripters they are?

I disagree that 99% of the people who play the game and quit see MO for what it was and is.  As evidenced within this thread many are simply focusing on the bad aspects of the video (and there are plenty to focus on) and running the game down. I'm not certain you have any way to back up that statistic.  

While 99% is bit of an exaggeration, I would claim that majority of those who quit MO did so not because it is too "hardcore" for them or because they did not understand the "vision", but because it was a shitty game by their standards. Holding posters in this thread for "evidence" is laughable. 

MO is not "nonlinear", there is simply so little content so there is no progression to even speak of, other than skill grinding and few random monsters. 

While 99% is bit of an exaggeration, I would claim that majority of those who quit MO did so not because it is too "hardcore" for them or because they did not understand the "vision", but because it was a shitty game by their standards. Holding posters in this thread for "evidence" is laughable. 

Saying MO is linear is like saying EVE Online is linear.  A fellow in another thread said MO wasn't a sandbox.  These sorts of distortions of the truth don't serve to bring any point you have home, they only serve to misrepresent the game and make you look like you're either twisting the truth, or aren't exactly in sync with the majority of the community with what "sandbox" or "nonlinear" means.

Sometimes people don't like nonlinear sandbox games.  That in no way transforms them into linear games.

Its all good if you don't like the game but call a spade a spade.  the game is nonlinear.  After the tutorial there is no directed questing, no storyline, no guiding of characters through certain levels or areas of the game, and no predesignated goal for characters.  Players are expected to find something they enjoy doing and do it.  This is a nonlinear game.

And yes you guys are free to make as many unsubstantiated claims without evidence as you like.  I'm also free to point out when they are simply that -- unsubstantiated made up fantasy statistics.

And when replying to someone, you should not put quotation marks around words they did not use.  I never said the game is "too hardcore" or they "did not understand the vision."  

You are quoting something that wasn't said and then arguing against it.  Defining my side of the argument for me and then arguing against that fictitious argument is  a good way to win an argument with yourself but serves little purpose.

Saying MO is linear is like saying EVE Online is linear.  A fellow in another thread said MO wasn't a sandbox.  These sorts of distortions of the truth don't serve to bring any point you have home, they only serve to misrepresent the game and make you look like you're either twisting the truth, or aren't exactly in sync with the majority of the community with what "sandbox" or "nonlinear" means.

Sometimes people don't like nonlinear sandbox games.  That in no way transforms them into linear games.

Its all good if you don't like the game but call a spade a spade.  the game is nonlinear.  After the tutorial there is no directed questing, no storyline, no guiding of characters through certain levels or areas of the game, and no predesignated goal for characters.  Players are expected to find something they enjoy doing and do it.  This is a nonlinear game.

And yes you guys are free to make as many unsubstantiated claims without evidence as you like.  I'm also free to point out when they are simply that -- unsubstantiated made up fantasy statistics.

And when replying to someone, you should not put quotation marks around words they did not use.  I never said the game is "too hardcore" or they "did not understand the vision."  

You are quoting something that wasn't said and then arguing against it.  Defining my side of the argument for me and then arguing against that fictitious argument is  a good way to win an argument with yourself but serves little purpose.

Being able to call ones self a sandbox and really delivering one are two different things.  On some levels MO can be considered a sandbox.  On others, it is limited at best (housing, city building, naval content, etc...)

I also wouldn't say the game is non-linear as there is certainly progression in the game.  You will complete certain content before you can complete other content.  It does give a wider range of direction to approach this but there is still step progression.

Also, for the record all you need to do is look at the company's own reports for the statistics.  I believe that Henri himself states there is something close to 200,000 forum accounts.  There is something like 2,000 players (counting multiple subs).  if you have different statistics please show them as I'd love to see them.  That is ROUGHLY 1%.. which means 99% have left the game.  So is that math PERFECT?  No, it could certainly be 98%.. or 99.5% but it's certainly within a rough order of magnitude.   Those folks left because they did not enjoy the game.  The very small, dedicated core that remain are exactly that: A very small fraction of players that tried the game and actually enjoy it.  It's ludicrous to suggest that they left because they didn't " actually understand what is so great about Mortal Online" and infering that it is their fault for not being "wiilling to do this" .  In most cases these are people that actually spent their own money on what sounded like a great concept.  It's not their fault that the dev team is currently around 3 people and failed to deliver on that promising concept.  Luckilly, lots of games in the pipeline incorporate sandbox concepts to varying degrees so the future looks bright!

As for the OP and your initial response I really have to take issue with your statement below:

The game doesn't really look like this video anyways. Maybe if played on a PC from 2001. These bugs you guys are seeing aren't things I typically see while playing. Its possible I don't notice some things though because they just don't impact what i'm doing.

I hate to break it to you but the video is taken in game by a current player and posted by a fan to try and support the game.  Guess what? It does "really look like this".  I am sure that the reason it was taken in non-maxed settings was because it was a pvp video.  Knowing that there would be more than 10 people on screen, I am fairly confident that the person taking the video had to lower his settings. We all know how the game performs when more than a few people get on screen and start fighting.    As for your claim about not noticing the bugs.  I'm sure you don't.  They are very obvious to most other folks though.

• kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152

To Ramanadjinn

I was playing MO from the very beginning. Then I left. Then I came back. Then I have left forever.

When I came second time I have found game in worse condition than it was when I left. But they have built Tindrem. And similar things happened to MO all the time. It was sad to watch how their priorities fucked up. Another thing. Game a priory is not a new player’s friendly. And it seems nothing really has been done during those years to change that. Could it be that Henrik Nystrom’s dream is that blurry? He was always talking about lack of funds, and spent available funds on nonsense.

However, I should not blame just Henrik. It is you, who should share game fiasco. It  happened that Henrik listens very much to old players opinions. I am assuming you are an old Mo player, or I would not even consider to response. This game design unfortunately sets old players against new ones. Because length of this game playing gives you nothing (no levels and such) but game detailed knowledge and personal experience, old players are very secretive about any information they have discovered. And that antagonism makes this game to be even less new players friendly.

Crafting?  I was there, when Henrik invited group of old players to “balance” weapons. It doesn’t sound too bad, right?  But it was decided (by whom?) after all that results will be mostly concealed, at least for some time. It  not only gave advantage to this group of people, but it render databases of dedicated crafters worthless.

About very special features of this game. I would like you to name them one by one.

Full loot? Open world PVP? Sand Box (meaning you can do whatever you want)? But what exactly can you do? Build houses, gather resources, kill something. Is there something, that we didn’t see in other games? And do not say, that it was done better in this game. Nothing was done even acceptable in this game. I would like to focus on good aspects of this game. Find me one!

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    And thus The Flying Dutchman Pins even more of his Hopes on Camelot Unchained....
    It's ludicrous to suggest that they left because they didn't " actually understand what is so great about Mortal Online" and infering that it is their fault for not being "wiilling to do this" . 

Maybe it seems ludicrous because, once again, you aren't actually replying to what I said but one small part of my post taken out of context.

I never suggested "they left because they didn't actually understand what is so great about Mortal Online."  I never implied that or inferred it from anyone's post nor did I ever state it is anyone's fault for "not being willing to do this."

Noone has made that claim within this thread and there is no point in arguing against it.  

As for the rest, its pointless to argue if a game is a sandbox or not but.. if you want to twist the definition to the point where no MMORPG is a sandbox then yes you can do that and leave Mortal Online in the non-sandbox category along with every or nearly every other MMO ever created.  But why do such mental gymnastics just to argue it.  Will you just oppose any viewpoint I have, even to the point where you are making statements that result in the logical conclusion where EVE Online or Wurm Online also  are not sandbox games?

As for the video, I said the game doesn't look like that unless played on an inferior machine.  I'm sorry but I stand by that.  The game I play doesn't look like that.  Mortal Online doesn't require a very up to date system to run.  If I posted a video of me playing WOW in a low resolution on minimum settings I would think it completely fair if you said your WOW experience didn't really look similar.

Your statistic is irrelevant to my post, I never argued against any statistic outlining only the number of people who left the game.  If 99% of the people who have played MO quit then thats just the way it is.  I never said MO had any particular retention rates.