Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why so much hype about this game, what new features does it have?

DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

For what I have seen and understand it's a bland casual MMO with cartoonish characters and destruction in some scenarios it doesn't seem that MMO to me more like a 3rd Person Online Action game.

Am I missing anything that is ground breaking about this game?

Sorry, If my view is not accurate the trailer or gameplay really took any interested for me.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by DeathmachinePT

For what I have seen and understand is a bland casual MMO with cartoonish characters and destruction in some scenarios it doesn't seem that MMO to me more like a 3rd Person Online Action game.

In my very personal opinion your are spot on and not missing anything.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Wiha

For what I have seen and understand is a bland casual MMO with cartoonish characters and destruction in some scenarios it doesn't seem that MMO to me more like a 3rd Person Online Action game.

In my very personal opinion your are spot on and not missing anything.

i'd have to agree also.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Though the information released about the game is limited, so far, there is still a lot out there for you to go absorb.  This is assuming you really want an answer to your question.  Start with watching all the panel videos from SOE Live on YouTube.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Though the information released about the game is limited, so far, there is still a lot out there for you to go absorb.  This is assuming you really want an answer to your question.  Start with watching all the panel videos from SOE Live on YouTube.

even after doing this...the OP is pretty much spot on.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

Originally posted by blutigfaust

even after doing this...the OP is pretty much spot on.

Your opinion, which was formed after only seeing a very limited amount of information about the game so far.  I'll sit back and wait until the game is much further along before I form a full opinion.

Personally though, I'm more interested in EQ Landmark as potentially a more pure, player driven sandbox game.  I think SOE is going to find that they will have more people wanting to play in Landmark than they are currently counting on. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

I dunno OP. As soon as SOE figure out what they've making and let us know, then we'll be able to talk about it in greater detail. At the moment, everything is pending all their panels and discussions have been "we'd like to" "we're want to" "we're planning on" "we can't talk about that yet" "one of the things we might do" "we'll definitely consider that".

Basically they have a tech demo. So we'll see. They have to make something first.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    EQN could be the first voxel farm mmo -- yet to be seen
  • frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by Nadia
    EQN could be the first voxel farm mmo -- yet to be seen

In before someone puts a list of very small, unknown indie games  nowhere near the league of an AAA mmo that already use in some way this capacity.

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

Couldn't you kinda resume I don't want to waste time watching panel videos that go over 20mins that could probably just be what I'm not really looking forward.

I remember listen to a John Smedley interview how he wanted to go make more casual games and release one like a pure copy of Runescape.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 

Couldn't you kinda resume I don't want to waste time watching panel videos that go over 20mins that could probably just be what I'm not really looking forward.

I remember listen to a John Smedley interview how he wanted to go make more casual games and release one like a pure copy of Runescape.

The point is, all you are going to mainly get around here are opinions based largely on blind speculation.  If you want the truth about what we really know so far, go watch the panels.  If you just want people to agree with your current position, then by all means keep working this thread.

Ok so I presume all the hype is because it's Everquest not any particular set of features like Archeage, Blackdesert, SC are aiming at, talking and showing.. Since there is no real concrete information.

I didn't thought EQ could have so much branding going on at least  to be the nº1 hype game without concrete information.

Thx

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

On that note, couldn't you also assume that those who are excited about the game are those that did take to the time to watch the panels?

I'm excited because Everquest was my first MMO, well not actually, I did install Ultima, but only played it once back in '99. But EQ was the first one I actually gave a chance. I played Everquest and still enjoy it and have been eagerly awaiting news about EQNext since I first heard rumors about it years ago.

I enjoy the franchise and will play the new one, if they add EQNext to their All-Access Station Pass system they currently have, then I guess I'll even have a subscription to it, because I keep three of those active at all times. I enjoy being able to have several subscriptions to MMO's at one time so I can bounce between them whenever the mood hits me.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Ok so I presume all the hype is because it's Everquest not any particular set of features like Archeage, Blackdesert, SC are aiming at, talking and showing.. Since there is no real concrete information.

I didn't thought EQ could have so much branding going on at least  to be the nº1 hype game without concrete information.

Thx

Yup.

The hype is for/from the EQ name, but this game is going to be so far from EQ/EQ2, they might as well not call it EQ anything. It would probably cut down the criticism if they didn't call it EQ, in fact.

It is just SOE using the last thing they have in the cupboard to generate any hype at all about something they are doing.

Originally posted by agnostic4eve

On that note, couldn't you also assume that those who are excited about the game are those that did take to the time to watch the panels?

I'm excited because Everquest was my first MMO, well not actually, I did install Ultima, but only played it once back in '99. But EQ was the first one I actually gave a chance. I played Everquest and still enjoy it and have been eagerly awaiting news about EQNext since I first heard rumors about it years ago.

I enjoy the franchise and will play the new one, if they add EQNext to their All-Access Station Pass system they currently have, then I guess I'll even have a subscription to it, because I keep three of those active at all times. I enjoy being able to have several subscriptions to MMO's at one time so I can bounce between them whenever the mood hits me.

I didn't think there were so many fan of EQ especially due to EQ2 numbers , I also had station pass at one time for both SWG and EQ2 and for me EQ2 was pretty great game(Desert Falmes-Fallen Dynasty) even better than WoW but that's my view I thought It never went big because of high end specs when it launched.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

People are excited because...

1.  Class system allows you to freely switch between classes, mix and match class abilities, and even name your custom class that you created by mixing and matching abilities.

2.  Destructible terrain and buildings, voxel-based world.

3.  The ability to "dig" through the ground into procedurally generated random dungeons.

4.  The incorporation of player-created content from Landmark into the game.

5.  AI that supposedly is sophisticated enough to dynamically create monster camps, raid player towns, etc. (admittedly, this is smoke and mirrors until we get to play the game and verify how it works.)  This is also supposed to generate (quasi) permanent change in the world.

6.  Combat seems actioney and fun based on the abilities we've seen.  It is also cool that you can destroy terrain to give you an advantage in combat.

7.  Items seem like they can give you cool powers (based on the boots that let you glide).

Anyway, I think that's a summary of most of the reasons that people are hyped.  As for me, I think their ideas are very good, and the game, from what we've seen, does look pretty cool.

However, everything depends upon implementation.  Some of the things above I have more confidence in being implemented properly (destructible terrain), while others I am very skeptical of ("super" AI that dynamically generates content basically).

I'm very interested to hear more about this game.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Creslin321

However, everything depends upon implementation.

very true image

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

EQNext seems to me to be a utter violation of everything the EQ franchise has been about to date. Not saying that is good or bad, but it's ONLY connection with the games of old will be the EQ name. I spent almost 7 years in EQ, at least 2 in EQ2. I've done the Raiding world, casual grouping, even the old slow and gearless solo play.

ARPG playstyle removes all the strategy in favor of flashing lights, gee-whiz mobility and a direct cloning of the WoW character armors and appearances. No room for elemental vulnerabilities when you get 4-5 buttons to rule your life. No room for 'fun' spells. Just the standard ARPG 1, 2, 3 for Single Target, 4 for AoE, and 5 to Heal BS.

Destructable terrain just leads to greifers that will dig a moat to the core of the world around every major city or valued resource. We all should know by now that a certain percentage find their only fun in taking away the fun of others, and this type of system makes it easy to do.

I will remain curious and watch where EQN goes, but what they have shown and talked of so far is pretty much entirely the wrong directions in my opinion.

Originally posted by Creslin321

People are excited because...

1.  Class system allows you to freely switch between classes, mix and match class abilities, and even name your custom class that you created by mixing and matching abilities.

2.  Destructible terrain and buildings, voxel-based world.

3.  The ability to "dig" through the ground into procedurally generated random dungeons.

4.  The incorporation of player-created content from Landmark into the game.

5.  AI that supposedly is sophisticated enough to dynamically create monster camps, raid player towns, etc. (admittedly, this is smoke and mirrors until we get to play the game and verify how it works.)  This is also supposed to generate (quasi) permanent change in the world.

6.  Combat seems actioney and fun based on the abilities we've seen.  It is also cool that you can destroy terrain to give you an advantage in combat.

7.  Items seem like they can give you cool powers (based on the boots that let you glide).

Anyway, I think that's a summary of most of the reasons that people are hyped.  As for me, I think their ideas are very good, and the game, from what we've seen, does look pretty cool.

However, everything depends upon implementation.  Some of the things above I have more confidence in being implemented properly (destructible terrain), while others I am very skeptical of ("super" AI that dynamically generates content basically).

I'm very interested to hear more about this game.

Thank you :) that's what I wanted to know, sound like some good ideas it isn't enough to hype me and it doesn't look like EQ2 or a traditional MMO but seems fun.

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Thx

Yup.

The hype is for/from the EQ name, but this game is going to be so far from EQ/EQ2, they might as well not call it EQ anything. It would probably cut down the criticism if they didn't call it EQ, in fact.

It is just SOE using the last thing they have in the cupboard to generate any hype at all about something they are doing.

This isn't true for all cases.

Personally, I don't particularly care for the "EverQuest franchise". I've played, but I'm not a fan of the lore, previous games, etc.

What I do like is:

• Open world (Sandpark)
    • Level-less system
    • Multi-classing
    • AI that might be more than whack-a-mob (again, I have a healthy dose of skepticism on this one)
    But I'd have to say the biggest draw point is the simple statement of "We've been doing things the same way for way too long, it's time for something different".

Whether that actually ends up happening or not, I suspect probably won't. But that they are even saying that has garnered my interest. Whether it garners my sub/dollars/money remains to be seen.
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer

EQNext seems to me to be a utter violation of everything the EQ franchise has been about to date. Not saying that is good or bad, but it's ONLY connection with the games of old will be the EQ name. I spent almost 7 years in EQ, at least 2 in EQ2. I've done the Raiding world, casual grouping, even the old slow and gearless solo play.

ARPG playstyle removes all the strategy in favor of flashing lights, gee-whiz mobility and a direct cloning of the WoW character armors and appearances. No room for elemental vulnerabilities when you get 4-5 buttons to rule your life. No room for 'fun' spells. Just the standard ARPG 1, 2, 3 for Single Target, 4 for AoE, and 5 to Heal BS.

Destructable terrain just leads to greifers that will dig a moat to the core of the world around every major city or valued resource. We all should know by now that a certain percentage find their only fun in taking away the fun of others, and this type of system makes it easy to do.

I will remain curious and watch where EQN goes, but what they have shown and talked of so far is pretty much entirely the wrong directions in my opinion.

When you claim that this game is a violation of what the EQ franchise has always stood for, I think that you are ignoring games like Everquest Champions of Norrath, Lords of Norrath, and Legends of Norrath.  None of these games were even MMORPGs, and yet all were in the EQ franchise.

While EQ started off as the quintessential themepark MMORPG, the IP has actually been pretty broadly used genre wise.  I don't think that this game is any violation of the EQ IP at all, given its history.  I also think that "direct cloning" of WoW character art is a bit of a stretch.

Oh and no room for fun spells?  Didn't you see the spells/abilities in the presentation?  Gliding through the air, teleporting, leaping over things and destroying terrain you land on...all seem fun to me.  I remember in EQ1 I loved the spell levitate just to mess around with it...I think that the gliding through the air ability is a decent analog to that.

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87
    The  character art reminds me more of Disney than WoW. If they are going to go the expressive emotes route, that's probably a sound art direction. "Realistic" human faces would require a boatload more work to do that "expressiveness" level, and it would look pretty artificial.
    Originally posted by Lanessar
    The  character art reminds me more of Disney than WoW. If they are going to go the expressive emotes route, that's probably a sound art direction. "Realistic" human faces would require a boatload more work to do that "expressiveness" level, and it would look pretty artificial.

Yeah I agree about your Disney assessment.  The female mage looks A LOT like Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite and she was heavily inspired by Disney princesses.

Honestly, I like the look, but YMMV.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

>>If you want the truth about what we really know so far, go watch the panels.<<

I've watched the panels. Time thoroughly wasted. They don't say sh!t about sh!t but "we have great plans" and "it's gonna be epic!"

The only thing which is actually known that makes this game different is VoxelFarm engine. Which allows some nifty things with procedurally-generated landscape and fancy editing. It also allows some kind of destructible things/terrain, but we don't know how much and with what limitations.

What it tells us is that there is going to be a huuuuuge gigantic lot of empty space out there, in the world ('cause that's what VoxelFarm does best). Which they plan to fill with Landmarks, generated by users. We'll see how it'll go.

Everything else - AI, Storybricks, etc - so far are not much than fart in the wind. At this point of game-building process.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

For what I have seen and understand it's a bland casual MMO with cartoonish characters and destruction in some scenarios it doesn't seem that MMO to me more like a 3rd Person Online Action game.

Sorry, If my view is not accurate the trailer or gameplay really took any interested for me.

You're probably just trolling..but I'll bite..

1. There is no game to preview yet..we know very very little about the game itself because it's not even close to Beta

2. Refer to 1..and wait to troll when there's actually info about it to criticize. 

• nisraknisrak Member Posts: 70

I have watched all the panels and read all the articles and even watched most of the voxelfarm videos (which are actually very interesting).  Thus far what I am most excited about is:

1. Storybricks AI based on NPC motivations that will be pervasive throughout the entire game (combat, quests, etc.).  In combat, this leads to intelligence = difficulty (this is not as impossible as everyone thinks),
    2. Level-less system where you don't get much stronger, only more capable (i.e., more abilities).  This is also true for NPCs who get smarter as you get to more difficult encounters,
    3. 40 classes with unique animations/characteristics, with more classes added periodically (sort of like LoL champions),
    4. Position-based combat,
    5. Voxel-based world allows for procedurally-generated world in all 3 dimensions and construction/destruction,
    6. Minecraft-esque resource collection,
    7. Many ideas taken from SWG including crafting and housing, and
    8. Personally, I like the art direction.
    Again, this is based on watching/reading all the info I could find thus far on EQ:N, storybricks, and voxelfarm.  I have also played MMOs since release of EQ1.