Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: A WAR Worth Fighting For?

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Sugar Grove, VAPosts: 1,599Member Uncommon

What made me stop playing WAR..

1. Incredibly linear world. It was like a single winding path and that was it.

2. PvE and Public Quests were mostly garbage. Some will say DAoC was an RvR game and others will say it was a good game. I am the latter. DAoC had underrated PvE with some great dungeons and for a change of pace I dabbled in RvR ( I would say the majority did this imo ). WAR had nothing for PvE. 

3. Terrible engine. Oh man. 

4. Class imbalance. It was a joke from day one.

IMO if WAR had a better designed world and better PvE it would still be kicking.

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 MoscowPosts: 60Member Common

Peeps can say what they like but I loved WAR. After the initial failure of a launch i found that many people weren't  happy with the game, which to be fair at the time was way better as to compared to the competition. RvR was bloody great! 

The fact remains that if the devs weren't pulled of this game right after launch alot of the issues could have been sorted out. Instead a skeleton crew of devs (or a dev singular) was left to gather the pieces of what was a mega epic fail of a launch with the rest (commenters will correct me- being transferred to SWTOR was it???). 

Warhammer lore is some of the best IP out there for MMORPGs and to see the last game from this IP being closed down is mos def something to whine about. WAR could live on as f2p simply on the power of the IP. The last ditch attempt to turn WAR into a mini moba instead of dealing with some of the issues in the game is just an example of how this IP was mismanaged gtom the get go.

I cant wait for a game that pays justice to the IP. This IP is literally harder to mess up than Star Wars and still I think WAR was better in many aspects than SWTOR!

Whytf do I have to wait for 2014/15 for a decent WARHAMMER IP game.... ??????

• zellmerzellmer Fakesville, WIPosts: 442Member

Oh yeah, Warhammer...

Talk about all the stuff they promised and hyped that never was in the game, not to mention the management of it..
  • nadrian3knadrian3k BucharestPosts: 103Member

No F2P killed this game. I loved everything about it at the start when i played it. It had a great balance between cartoonish and spooky dark content. It had fun moments and serious moments. Battles were epic even fi they became "meh" at some point..u still had an urge to go in and stomp ppl. The enviroments were also extremely well done and the transition between enviroments even better.

I would have definitely went back to play it, no doubt about it, if it was F2P. What did they do instead? they did some side...random..pvp whatever game. Not cool. Waste of money and a major experiment fail...but i guess that's part of experimenting.

...and here i was hoping they would make it F2P to go back and have fun. The game was VERY good but management has killed it. I won't buy 40k since it goes live because i want to see player reactions. Lost faith in the name "warhammer" whoever it might work on it because of the hands down stupid manangement the first mmo had.

• HatefullHatefull Posts: 872Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Is this type of conversation required every time a failing MMO is shut down?

What could have been done? It could have been made properly. Since it wasn't, just about everyone hated it and it wasn't profitable. End of same old story.

While I don't agree with your hostility - why come to a place where people post their opinions about games and get snooty when they do so?  You make no sense and then proceed to make a hypocrite out of yourself by offering your opinion.  Well done.  However, you did say something that I have thought for a long time.  

It could have been made properly.

That was a trend it seems for quite a few games, EQ2, WAR, AoC, SW:TOR, etc to get out the door on a time line as opposed to when the game was actually ready to ship.  Hopefully we have seen the end of that trend.  I feel most of these games would have done a lot better had the producers finished them prior to shipping them.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

• tachgbtachgb SheffieldPosts: 790Member Uncommon

WAR wasn't all that good anyways. Now if they had closed DAOC, I would be sad, one of the best MMORPG's ever made.

Back in June they announced 6 month sub plans were disabled, 3 months later the games closer in December...Yeah, thanks for the 6 months notice..... :o

I take it it wasn't worth them repurchasing the Warhammer license kinda similar to SWG when Sony shut it down as the license was expiring anyways.

• MercscytheMercscythe Avon, INPosts: 134Member Common
    I feel like it is a lot simpler than what people make it out to be. This game just played really poorly. It felt stiff and clunky. Games like this and SWTOR just have an awful feel to them when you play. Not saying had they smoothed things out it would have been better, but if the most basic of foundations are off, you aren't going to retain people long enough to fix anything.
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo LondonPosts: 3,219Member Uncommon

One thing that always bothered me was the title: "Warhammer: Age of Reckoning" a useful acronym: WAR, but it always made me think:

"That is not Warhammer - that is shoe-horning some bs in..."

Indeed the design was wow 2.0 not warhammer. Also tech issues(memory leaks etc) with the RvR huge battles not working properly. Indeed I remember some story about Mythic seeking to sue Gambryo the engine they were using. Then as above those patch notes rebalance class x.

From the players pov, what you experienced in the first week was probably nearly the same for the rest of the time you played or at least the first month with just repetition ie choose class/area and do the same pvp mini-games or the pve public quest nodes. I think PvE was quite solitary too.

That all said liked the lore and graphics representation of warhammer those were very fun to see realized eg the locations. But also the hopping around the map from lake to lake was really bad too.

I think the migratory guilds also put paid to it: "back to conan, back to wow, back to aion etc!"

• TalonsinTalonsin Posts: 1,698Member Uncommon
    Loved this game when it first came out and loved the first tier of PVP.  Then I hit the second tier of PVP and the huge class imbalance issues killed it for me.  Never got to the third tier, made a bunch of alts and PVPed at the first tier until I got bored and moved on.  So much potential...
  • Overfiend138Overfiend138 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 52Member Uncommon
    a third faction. 
  • usuckmmorpgcomusuckmmorpgcom c, KYPosts: 1,348Member
    IMO, it wasn't a very good game from day one, so no tears will be shed in my house.