Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Will Piracy be Worth It?

2»

Comments

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

I think i would take the chance to be in the Pirate faction even if it will be quite hard to get around in the world, 

maybe i just watched too much One Piece to get excited to have a role as a pirate in an MMO as an actual faction

and i believe that depends on the community and players in the game, Pirate faction might just be a surprise force in AA

So What Now?

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Piracy, yay!

Trion giving us the silent treatment of AA, not yay...

Frankly I'm afraid by the time this game sees the daylight in the west it's no longer relevant.

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

I agree with some of the earlier posters. They need to make being a pirate hard or there will be to many pirates. I played Uncharted Waters for a while and was a pirate in that game because being a pirate  meant something. 

In that game when you declare yourself a pirate you pretty much cannot go to any docks other then pirate affiliated ones which where only a few. You had to sneak in to other ports and while in city had to be night time and not get caught by guards. NPC ships would go afer you on the high seas as well. 

I hope they make being a pirate similar to Uncharted Waters.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Trion not pay their bill? ;)

"In its current state, ArcheAge isn’t a great place for open PVP, and the pirate faction mechanic suffers as a result. The addition of safe zones and respawn points made ArcheAge less piracy-enabling, as open PVP was lessened."

Some really disappointing news here, more disappointing news. I've been playing Wushu for nearly a year now. I want there to be another great game that has real meaningful pvp and deep systems.  As things stand it's Wushu, EVE, or half a dozen "new" traditional themeparks. EQN, and Darkness Falls are a long way off.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I can see players simply switching to another character to get access to places/items they cannot get with a negative karma character.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Also, in addendum to what other players can do on the same ship ... fishing!

While perhaps an easy target for brigands, people can have fishing trolly's and fish to their hearts content!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdKATVcU_IA

Semi-recent video.  Also you can see (as shown) how one person controls the helm (ship's wheel).  Considering they just have fish in their inventory, it's probably not a high profile target for pirates though :P

addendum to earlier post about physical ships, control, and who can be on-board.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by victorbjr
    Originally posted by KeksX

Thanks for doing this column, always good to read more about ArcheAge, especially when Trion is not able to provide more info right now! And thanks for mentioning me! :D

Even though the pirate faction needs some work, in my opinion the whole ordeal with naval battles and stealing other people's packages is just the best part of the game. 

For anyone interested, I'm actually planning on joining the pirate faction for the EU Release of the game. I have a small crew gathered around me already, and if we think that Trion doesn't change the pirates for the better, we will make our own pirate faction. With blackjack and hookers! If you are interested, check out http://archeagesource.com/topic/2125-euint-lfpeople-to-create-pirate-guild/ :)

We'll meet on the EU servers ya landlubbers!

COOL! 

Looking forward to reading more about your exploits! :) I love reading about the in-game adventures of players! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nw2gXeHIJk

Pirate guild <Ghost> on our server. They are raiding on the western continent :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3UPYE_9_sY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUV60ZgIC3t6HUaiubD_YAnQ

Another video by the same guild, really cool.

Just thought I should post this!

• DeathmachinePTDeathmachinePT Member UncommonPosts: 119

Don't understand why is EQ Next so hyped up it isn't a MMO looks cartoonish and not immersive only one more casual MMO for the saturated market of casual MMOs.

But Archeage is for me the game I'm more hyped about then Star citizen then repopulation, camelot unchained and Shroud of the Avatar are also in my radar.

SWG for me was the best MMO that never was so archeage seems like a spirit successor at least in mechanics for what SWG could have been... And they have Chat Bubbles FTW!

ASROCK Z97 E-ITX 
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz+KrakenX41
    Gigabyte 1070 8GB Mini OC
    16GB Crucial 1333mhz 1.3V
    SWG 8 Year Vet, WW2OL 8 Year Vet.
    Aka Darksparrow Rancorheart(tempest/farstar), Fxmkorp

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by bcbully

Trion not pay their bill? ;)

"In its current state, ArcheAge isn’t a great place for open PVP, and the pirate faction mechanic suffers as a result. The addition of safe zones and respawn points made ArcheAge less piracy-enabling, as open PVP was lessened."

Some really disappointing news here, more disappointing news. I've been playing Wushu for nearly a year now. I want there to be another great game that has real meaningful pvp and deep systems.  As things stand it's Wushu, EVE, or half a dozen "new" traditional themeparks. EQN, and Darkness Falls are a long way off.

Posters never seem to grasp that producers are in the business to make money.  Without safe areas, the game population will be quite small,, few enjoy unfettered pvp with no safe areas.  Games that support such are always short term, they either add safe zones or become non existent.  If you have not noticed, Wushu is struggling.  Fairly typical for that type of ruleset.

Safe zones do not in any way detract from good pvp, without them you end up with few people to pvp with.  

• geoxer2222geoxer2222 Member Posts: 40
    I have played the Kr version of this game. All i have stay its a good game but it turns stale fast. So take that with a grain of salt since that only my opinion.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Karteli

Also, in addendum to what other players can do on the same ship ... fishing!

While perhaps an easy target for brigands, people can have fishing trolly's and fish to their hearts content!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdKATVcU_IA

Semi-recent video.  Also you can see (as shown) how one person controls the helm (ship's wheel).  Considering they just have fish in their inventory, it's probably not a high profile target for pirates though :P

addendum to earlier post about physical ships, control, and who can be on-board.

"Considering they just have fish in their inventory, it's probably not a high profile target for pirates though :P"

Do you really, really believe that the value of the target makes the slightest shred of difference in a PVP zone ?

In a MMO, that "soft target" will attract killers like a plate of sugar water attracts bees.

There's always those that PVP purely for the satisfaction of "harvesting carebear tears". AA will be no different...