Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Shroud of the Avatar: Crowdsourcing the World

2»

Comments

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    The sheer number of games being crowd sourced right now is insane! I understand that its not 2003 but still.... Who will play all these bloody games? Surely in 2013-2016 period the MMORPG crowd will become more fragmented. May you live in interesting times is a curse as they say and it might prove true here. 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Kallendal

Wow....

Don't like him, quit commenting here, and go elsewhere to complain about others success.

Start your own kick start or something and do better.

Seriously thinking about dropping a large chunk of cash for a house plot now just to be spiteful.

And I can' t really afford it. 

If that money is keeping the Devs eating and happy to make a great game... so be it!

Welcome to capitalism!

Success? What success?

You want to know why they charge such outrageous prices for these house plots?  

http://ultimacodex.com/2013/04/ultimate-collector-garage-sale-is-shutting-down/

And who is to say they won't come up with more cash grabs after this? When their other facebook cash grab game bites the dust.

• KallendalKallendal Member UncommonPosts: 35

Hey, you can A) buy a house plot now....

or

B) Wait for the game to start and earn a plot on it.

You MUST pay in game rent on house plots.  I mean, EVEN if you bought one with Cash, would you want to put it up right away on start?

Seriously?  You actually think it is going to be that easy? Cripes, I am buying 3 house plots then, and sitting back on my millions of virtual cash... Not.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    IMO The guy is a clown and gets none of my money, he's already wasted shit loads on other game and he's not got the talent to make a modern MMO just look at the state of what he's doing atm...

Asbo

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

You forgot to talk about how you're extorting money out of low / mid tier backers by threatening to effectively lock them out of key content if they don't pony up more cash.

Or how about the fact that crowdsourcing allows such things, since as it's legally considered a 'donation' you don't have to follow various consumer protection laws as closely, if at all? Such as oh, I don't know, issuing refunds to customers who feel their 'backing' was obtained under false pretenses?

Yup, I and many others are never trusting Richard Garriott again. This was a total scam in my opinion. Most likely he's just trying to fund another spaceflight to the moon (even though he can easily afford it with his own money... He's just a cheap con-artist as far as I'm concerned).

What the hell are you two people talking about?

You just spew hate without even backing up your claims with verifiable details.

No one is forced to put money into this game without reading what they are doing to make it.

I backed this at the artisan level. Nothing has ever been said you have to pay to unlock content.

No one NEEDs to buy the special viking house or knight house. I wish I was more employed right now to afford them but I am not, and that is not the fault of Richard Garriott.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

Originally posted by Arglebargle

You know, I have a lot of questions about Shroud of the Avatar,  but  Swedish Chef, your ax grinding is pretty dang dull.   High dudgeon of very narrow import.   Patronage via Kickstarter is not investment.  Get over it.

My question would be whether the same management team that screwed up Tabula Rasa for so long has learned their lessons?

The crowdsourcing art thing seems like a cool thing and appears on its face to be pretty fair.   How the game will manage some sort of consistant art style with these really disparate sources is what I'd like to find out.

If you had listened to Richard enough in the past, has has said that TR went through at least 2 revisions to please the publisher so it was not entirely his fault.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

Originally posted by Olgark

I was fed up when I saw how much a housing plot was £150 for one housing plot. When a house cost me £50.

I refuse to put anymore money into Shroud of the Avatar.

You aren't aware that you get land being a Founder (someone that backed it during the Kickstarter)?

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Originally posted by itpaladin
    Originally posted by Olgark

I was fed up when I saw how much a housing plot was £150 for one housing plot. When a house cost me £50.

I refuse to put anymore money into Shroud of the Avatar.

You aren't aware that you get land being a Founder (someone that backed it during the Kickstarter)?

You don't get land just being a founder (pledging during the kickstarter).  You either have to pledge Citizen level (or higher) or purchase the $150 village plot with your current pledge.

(That is at the start of the game)

There may be some plots open an launch that people can purchase in game, not sure on how many though.

Or more land will open as the game progresses for you to purchase in game.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by GungaDin
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Stile_Teckel

Arglebargle - With regards to Tabula Rasa question (taking you seriously on your question). If you hit the internet and do some serious research, you'll learn that Richard Garriott was opposed to releasing the game when they did. Additionally that the company he was working for forced aspects of the game he did not want or felt where ready to be added. It was a situation of he was working for someone else and he was not the boss. I often get told to do things at work that make me want to walk out on my job, but I have bills to pay and family to feed so I grit my teeth and do it. It's not hard to learn that there was a lot of this sort of thing going on for Lord British for this game. Same thing with Ultima 9.

Dude, seriously!  You are so wrong on this one. It's not even funny!

This is Richard "High Horse" Garriott desperately trying to Clear his name and put the blame at NCSoft..... and you and so many others falling for this and eating it like sweet candy truth!

I am getting seriously tired of repeating the entire story again and again, as I was a devoted fan of Tabula Rasa back then, following the entire Development, part of the entire closed beta and followed through launch and Beyond until shut Down.

During that time I have seen Richard "High Horse" Garriott showing his "true" colors.

I am "totally" done With him and won't touch anything anymore, where he's involved in With a ten foot pole!

Just to give you a little clue. He was "totally" in charge of Tabula Rasa Development. Had total free reign and a huge Budget from NCSoft.

NCSoft had so much fate in him at that time, that he even managed to get his Brother appointed as CEO of the NCSoft NA studio, where Tabula Rasa was being developed.

But like I said.... I can Write a huge wall of text again about what happened during that time. But I seriously get tired of repeating that wall of text yet again. Especially since you blind fans don't want to hear the truth anyway.

I wish you all good Luck on this one.

Dude, Tabula Rasa is one game.  Who is a fault for Tabula Rasa not doing well? Who cares, its one game.  No game developer gets it right 100% of the time.  

So you lose you argument because the other guy retorted base on facts, and your reply was "dude it is just one game" because you have nothing more to add/respond on the subject?

I am a neutral observer but I must say that made your entire earlier arguments very unconvincing...

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Tabula Rasa went through a number of publisher-required changes, in part because Richard Garriott had dithered around, wasting money, while giving in to his usual feature creep and unfocused conceptualization and management.  He's not a great project manager.  In time and under budget is not in the vocabulary.   That's the reason the NCSoft stepped in; they'd committed a lot of time and money to the project, and were presented with a hodge podge that they felt was unreleaseable.  Not that NCsoft are sweethearts or anything themselves.  

There are folks who are carrying hyperbole to another country:  You know 'Garriott is the debbil!'.   But Starr Long was also in charge of the early part of TR, and so there is a legitimate worry that you might see more of the same mismanagement.    But some of this anti-Garriott stuff is just balderdash. 

On the other hand, they are trying to make a deep MMO without the huge investment that tends to commidify the AAA versions.   You could make an argument that supporting SotA is worthwhile just to provide the precedent of an inexpensive, successful, niche  MMO.  So it's no longer a huge investment sink in the uncaring hands of the venture capitalists and the large, bean counter run, shareholder corporations.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    With the huge issues MMOs have with funding, player modding may be the only way to go. Crowdsourcing points in that direction.
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Arglebargle - With regards to Tabula Rasa question (taking you seriously on your question). If you hit the internet and do some serious research, you'll learn that Richard Garriott was opposed to releasing the game when they did. Additionally that the company he was working for forced aspects of the game he did not want or felt where ready to be added. It was a situation of he was working for someone else and he was not the boss. I often get told to do things at work that make me want to walk out on my job, but I have bills to pay and family to feed so I grit my teeth and do it. It's not hard to learn that there was a lot of this sort of thing going on for Lord British for this game. Same thing with Ultima 9.

This is Richard "High Horse" Garriott desperately trying to Clear his name and put the blame at NCSoft..... and you and so many others falling for this and eating it like sweet candy truth!

I am getting seriously tired of repeating the entire story again and again, as I was a devoted fan of Tabula Rasa back then, following the entire Development, part of the entire closed beta and followed through launch and Beyond until shut Down.

During that time I have seen Richard "High Horse" Garriott showing his "true" colors.

I am "totally" done With him and won't touch anything anymore, where he's involved in With a ten foot pole!

Just to give you a little clue. He was "totally" in charge of Tabula Rasa Development. Had total free reign and a huge Budget from NCSoft.

NCSoft had so much fate in him at that time, that he even managed to get his Brother appointed as CEO of the NCSoft NA studio, where Tabula Rasa was being developed.

But like I said.... I can Write a huge wall of text again about what happened during that time. But I seriously get tired of repeating that wall of text yet again. Especially since you blind fans don't want to hear the truth anyway.

Dude, Tabula Rasa is one game.  Who is a fault for Tabula Rasa not doing well? Who cares, its one game.  No game developer gets it right 100% of the time.  

So you lose you argument because the other guy retorted base on facts, and your reply was "dude it is just one game" because you have nothing more to add/respond on the subject?

I am a neutral observer but I must say that made your entire earlier arguments very unconvincing...

Ummm....No.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Ummm....No.

Wow, another great argument. 

Smile

Yes..
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Yes..

I think the sarcasm was lost upon you.

Smile

Eh?
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284

Lots of butt hurt about tabula rasa, I was angry at Garriot for a bit but People are allowed mulligan's McQuaid had Vanguard and Garriot has TR.