Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A friend bought this game for me.

ColdhatezColdhatez Member Posts: 15

So what can i expect? Im a former WoW player, and i liked that game alot.

I heard there is no gear progression so how does the end game work?

Thanks

Comments

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    it's a dps zerg fest

gameplay > graphics

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248

This game is the gold "cornerstone" for all those people pushing both F2P and B2P. 

Just keep that in mind when other's talk to you about this game. They hold it in very high esteem.

Me personally, I like doing two things in MMOs. Crafting and PVP. I love the crafting system here. The PVP here outright blows...just too many flaws to list and count. Both sPVP and WvWvW.

As to your original question, I never did more then a few nights of the end game PVP here. That map chat will fly by so fast with people all trying to set up their very specific groups that what you get is, 200 people (random number) all shouting in map chat for a specific group and 30 minutes later the "right" group will be formed.

Since there is no "gear checking" here there is spec checking and believe me, they take just as long to "check" you for endgame here as was in WoW with gear check.

• SkaioverrideSkaioverride Member UncommonPosts: 54
    if you already have it, see for yourself...
    Originally posted by Skaioverride
    if you already have it, see for yourself...

I always love the trailing dot dot dots'. :D :P

Get on with the show!

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610
    If you don't really care about teamwork... this is exactly the game for you

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

Originally posted by Professor78

Who can be bothered to put so much trust in someone that they'll do their job (from within the trinity?) No thank you sir.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Faster leveling than WoW. Missing trinity. You can get random people in for dungeons and it's just a dps zerg die and go back to where you left off. I'd play it casually  to get the most out of it because if you play it fully then maybe 2 weeks before you get everything you want from a game out of it maybe less.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well I'd say play it and see. Over-all simply put though.

1.) Action based combat... somewhat. Its meant to be more action based though outside dodging it isn't completely action based. The combat system over-all is weaker then WoWs by a good deal. IMO its the weakest part of the game and the thing you do most which is a bit of a holding point against the game. Its very simplistic as skill comes in play practically just from dodging. The combat to me is one of the weakest in an AAA game I've ever played to be blunt and where I feel pushes the game into such low regard for myself.

2.) Great graphics, doing a good job using a much more 'cartoony' look for characters. While i feel they could of explored more abstract art style for environments (making zones feel unique and diffferent) it still looks nice even if not fully realized. Cities in this game are well done and do feel quite alive which is great.

3.) WvWvW is a cool concept, even if its implimentation isn't fully realized and the system itself is... 'meh'. Still its interesting to see it in play and getting past some of its duleness you can possibly find some fun in it playing with a group.

4.) Story that can rather awesome to being overly cheesy, shake your head terrible. Unfortunately the bad tends to outweigh the good, as near the end if your like me, your probably going to cringe at the last arc in the main story as it gets very stupid very quickly. 

5.) Different style of 'leveling'. Its hit and miss though. White more focus on dynamic events (well static events, playing in the same zone quickly makes you realize they are very predictable which can get stale after a while) it does have hearts which are, in my opinion, a very poor implimentation of quests from old games. They manage to feel more tedious and drawn out then traditional quest hubs some how clumping it all into one giant objective bar it can make things very grindy feeling to do. Hitting Max though you will find yourself following a 'zerg' to take out the predictable event spawn.

6.) No real 'gear' to gain, though there is grind still in obtaining 'pretty gear'. 

7.) Dungeons are... very poorly designed. Its not so much bad leveling design as such a desire to  break the trinity the game proves WHY you need the trinity, at least in some form to maintain a smooth dungeon experience. This in particularly hurts grouping content as your going to find cheesing it is your best option to attempt a dungeon to make up for it.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Well I'd say play it and see. Over-all simply put though.

1.) Action based combat... somewhat. Its meant to be more action based though outside dodging it isn't completely action based. The combat system over-all is weaker then WoWs by a good deal. IMO its the weakest part of the game and the thing you do most which is a bit of a holding point against the game. Its very simplistic as skill comes in play practically just from dodging. The combat to me is one of the weakest in an AAA game I've ever played to be blunt and where I feel pushes the game into such low regard for myself.

2.) Great graphics, doing a good job using a much more 'cartoony' look for characters. While i feel they could of explored more abstract art style for environments (making zones feel unique and diffferent) it still looks nice even if not fully realized. Cities in this game are well done and do feel quite alive which is great.

3.) WvWvW is a cool concept, even if its implimentation isn't fully realized and the system itself is... 'meh'. Still its interesting to see it in play and getting past some of its duleness you can possibly find some fun in it playing with a group.

4.) Story that can rather awesome to being overly cheesy, shake your head terrible. Unfortunately the bad tends to outweigh the good, as near the end if your like me, your probably going to cringe at the last arc in the main story as it gets very stupid very quickly. 

5.) Different style of 'leveling'. Its hit and miss though. White more focus on dynamic events (well static events, playing in the same zone quickly makes you realize they are very predictable which can get stale after a while) it does have hearts which are, in my opinion, a very poor implimentation of quests from old games. They manage to feel more tedious and drawn out then traditional quest hubs some how clumping it all into one giant objective bar it can make things very grindy feeling to do. Hitting Max though you will find yourself following a 'zerg' to take out the predictable event spawn.

6.) No real 'gear' to gain, though there is grind still in obtaining 'pretty gear'. 

7.) Dungeons are... very poorly designed. Its not so much bad leveling design as such a desire to  break the trinity the game proves WHY you need the trinity, at least in some form to maintain a smooth dungeon experience. This in particularly hurts grouping content as your going to find cheesing it is your best option to attempt a dungeon to make up for it.

Good summary imo and I felt mostly the same when I played GW2.

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Coldhatez

Thanks

You already seem to have an opinion about this game judging by your PH. And i'm sure you already know the answer to your question.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Psion33

Who can be bothered to put so much trust in someone that they'll do their job (from within the trinity?) No thank you sir.

You're the kind of player I detest and the main reason MMO's are so shallow and boring.The whole point of a MMORPG is to learn your class and get a name for being good at it.Your style of game play sickens me.I guess some people would rather be a sheep on the whole server of ' DPS dodge class ' then truly shine and make a name for themselves in a SOCIAL game.

When I speak in chat in MMO games that you play a role in ( i refuse to use that stupid name arenanet invented for roles to attempt to discredit them) people know who i am and how i do it and my group is filled up quickly.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I can.

In MMOs Players need to trust and rely on other Players all the time. It is part of the attraction that brought me to the MMO genre in the first place. I derive great enjoyment from playing with, working with, adventuring with, other Players. Like I did with DnD many years ago.

But I do get your drift.... I don't really consider GW2 a real MMO either. Fun Game, but not a MMO. For you then GW2 is Perfect.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Apparently only the healers and tanks do team work and the large majority of players that play DPS even in holy trinity oriented games don't matter.

And since DPS players do no team work, whatever they do doesn't really matter but somehow they can survive bosses without tanks and healers in GW2.

Could it be that actually you need to know how to play a DPS class and use your dodges and blocks properly?

Nah, the game must be too easy at the same time that it is a zerg rezzing fest.

Because it is so easy but people somehow die so much the game is rezz zerg fest.

Another day in the world of people that can't tolerate difference...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Thanks

You can expect to start looking for a new friend, because you are going to hate your current one.  

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

You can expect lots of hate on mmorpg.com. Then again, the same could be said about practically any game.

The official wiki is an excellent source of info:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Most of all, don't expect WoW.

• dwarfkinglordsdwarfkinglords Member UncommonPosts: 75

gw2 is not a trinity game and thank god its not..

i like it the way it is.. does every mmo have to be a trinity to you people? some have it and some dont, there are different types of mmo.

calling it a flaw is like saying you dont like this type of mmo, its hardly a flaw.. go play something else that focus on it.. geezus christ

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Apparently only the healers and tanks do team work and the large majority of players that play DPS even in holy trinity oriented games don't matter.

And since DPS players do no team work, whatever they do doesn't really matter but somehow they can survive bosses without tanks and healers in GW2.

Could it be that actually you need to know how to play a DPS class and use your dodges and blocks properly?

Nah, the game must be too easy at the same time that it is a zerg rezzing fest.

Because it is so easy but people somehow die so much the game is rezz zerg fest.

Another day in the world of people that can't tolerate difference...

Hahahaha this exactly. Don't listen to the people who says dungeons are just a zerg rezzing fest with no teamwork. They just never understood how to play and blame the game for their lack of skills and understanding of the game.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I like it.  It has like 1 expansion/tier of wow gear grind to it, then you are done with gear grinding.  

There is no raiding, but the dungeons and fractals are fun.  You can get through them with a poor profession mix and bad players, but it goes much, much better with a good mix and good players.  

I would say the pvp is much better than wow, but the pve is trailing wow.  

Overall, I'm happy that it is different than wow.  You realize just how much you can customize and your character when you hit 80 and have full access to all traits and full triple stat gear for tank, heal,condition, crit, toughness builds, depending on sustain vs damage out.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

CalIing outdated and archaic, boring WoW combat better than GW2 is 'insert bad word here'. Seriously u consider static WoW combat better? I'm shocked, but what can i expect from brainwashed wow kids...Good i have oppened my eyes long time ago, played this crap game(WoW) for too long and i was blind on better games that are out there.

OP if u have the game already just play it, dont listen to me or other ppl on the forums. They are mostly haters who bash all games except the one that they are currently playing or fanboys who will protect their beloved game to death. Make Your own opiniom.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

So what can i expect? Im a former WoW player, and i liked that game alot.I heard there is no gear progression so how does the end game work? Thanks

dude, three weeks ago you said this:

I knew gw2 would be one big fail, worse then aion, rift etc.
    Happy i didnt buy it :)

There's a word for what you're trying to do.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Foomerang

There's a word for what you're trying to do.

Pretty sure we're not allowed to say that word.

I will say that I'm amused by all the people jumping on this thread though.

It reminds me that there is no such thing as personal taste.  There are only two opinions on MMORPG.  The opinion you hold, and the wrong one that people who disagree with you have. :)

It's a little depressing, but I guess SOMEBODY must get enjoyment out of spending hundreds of posts on a game they don't want to play/haven't even played/played over a year ago for 40 minutes.

I barely have energy to post in the forums of things I =do= like, much less spend that much time posting on forums for other things. :(

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    (( Accurate information ))

He is entirely correct. If anything, GW2 has the best solo-player experience if you're not into story (the story is, as mentioned, pretty terrible).

GW2 also has some great platforming elements not found in any other MMO known as "jumping puzzles". There is an incredible amount of detail put into the world and you should really do your best to explore it.

For me, GW2 is the skyrim of MMOs: shallow, but vast. There is actually a WoW-like group end-game in fractals (where you need to complete short instances over and over again for gear), but there are no intricate raids like in WoW due to the 5 player group restriction and the open world/pvp events are boring zergfests. The biggest grind is for the legendary weapons that currently have no bonus over the readily obtainable exotic weapons that you can buy on the AH other than in aesthetic value.

Still, it's worth every penny if you buy it..and since you didn't buy it, you have absolutely nothing to lose, because it is, in my opinion, the best thing without a subscription out there.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Why play an MMO in the first place if you don't trust your fellow gamer / team-member?

Singleplayer games lets you be the boss of you success all on your own.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Most of the posts in this thread are outdated info from players who apparently tried GW2 near the launch and then quit. Here's a post from a current player:

First of all, the combat is much more active than WoW. And by active I mean that you will be moving and dodging a lot, instead of looking at your hotbar of 30 abilities and going through a predefined rotation. That said, most PvE encounters are quite simple and require only hitting your DPS abilities and dodging/blocking/invulnerabling out of the way of the bigger attacks. In any case, you need to keep your eyes open as there are no dedicated healers to save your ass if you botch up. The active combat also works very well in PvP and it feels more like an action RPG than a traditional MMO. Battles are also fast and not yawn-fests where you desperatly try to break through the healer's massive heals and/or endless mana pool.

Second, the world zones, although instanced, are quite beautiful and well designed. They are not huge in area, but are jam-packed with content. Heart quests, skill point challenges, dynamic events and secret areas. Exploration has not been as rewarding in a long time in mainstream MMOs. If you liked being led by your nose in WoW, you need to change your PoV to a more "free" attitude.

Third, dungeons are not zergfests anymore. At launch they were, as you could just ress at the nearest waypoint and run back into the fight. No more. You can only WP when everyone is out of combat (or dead) and the boss fights reset. It means the players in the group all need to carry their own weight, or the encounters will fail over and over again. Most dungeons hit the sweet spot of being challenging, but perfectly doable once you figure out (or google) the mechanics. Best part is you don't need to put together a specific group of roles. With the introduction of the new LFG tool you can get into a dungeon in seconds, no matter what your class or spec.

I would like to end my post by saying that In My Opinion, Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO currently in the market. The population is very healthy (even "too" healthy on some servers)  and new content with QoL updates is coming out at breakneck speed.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Piechunks

For me, GW2 is the skyrim of MMOs: shallow, but vast. There is actually a WoW-like group end-game in fractals (where you need to complete short instances over and over again for gear), but there are no intricate raids like in WoW due to the 5 player group restriction and the open world/pvp events are boring zergfests. The biggest grind is for the legendary weapons that currently have no bonus over the readily obtainable exotic weapons that you can buy on the AH other than in aesthetic value.

Still, it's worth every penny if you buy it..and since you didn't buy it, you have absolutely nothing to lose, because it is, in my opinion, the best thing without a subscription out there.

Tequatl has shown they can do a big boss and not have it be a zergfest.

... and legendary weapons are better than exotic weapons, they have higher stats and infusion slots.

There are ascended weapons which have equally high stats, but they're hardly 'readily obtainable' (We're talking hundreds of gold to craft one, and they can't be bought... or you can hope for a random drop), and they're still inferior to legendary weapons, where you can any time out of combat, switch them to any stat grouping in the game.  So if you need more defense, it can change to that, if you just want pure killing power, it can do that.  Want more healing power?  It can do that too.

I also noticed other people seem to think zerging and dying repeatedly works as a tactic in a dungeon (It doesn't) still.

It would sort of be like me complaining that one of the things I don't like about WoW is that it has no form of instanced PvP.