Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV is unplayable for a lot of people

Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Just to bring awareness to this problem as SE is not discussing it or responding to people who have this issue, but many people currently cannot play the game.  The problem is lag on the SE side where people freeze up repeatedly and get hangups as they play which makes combat unplayable.  Its very important if you are 50 and trying to advance gear for fights like Titan that you be reactive quickly and this server side lag makes battles like these impossible.  Here is a 104 page post(and there are more of them) from the FFXIV forums without 1 response from SE on a fix. 

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/74559-Request-for-information-ISPs-and-P2P-throttling

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/94847-Insane-amounts-of-lag..

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/94900-Ridicoulous-Lag-spikes.-started-10hrs-ago.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/94730-HORRIBLE-Lag

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1msi5l/na_servers_down/

As for myself, I took the time to call my ISP and had it checked out and everything was fine and I have played GW2 and TOR without any issues, just FFXIV has this problem and many others confirmed the same.  I haven't been able to play for 3 days which is disappointing because I do enjoy it.

While you might think, "well I'm not affected", it might the next time you login as more people are having this issue.  Problem developed once they opened up sales again and more people are now logging in which has saturated the servers even more.  They are promoting that they have over 600,000 concurrent logins at once yet the servers and many players cannot even play the game.  And of course people from NA who login to the Japanese servers do not get the problem, once again it's just the NA servers. 

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

What do you have for an ISP ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

WoW and many other MMOs have been classified as P2P by ISPs in the past, and you have to wait for that specific game to be put on the okay list, other games will work fine but that game will not till it's approved by your local totalitarian internet government. 

This

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Electro057

WoW and many other MMOs have been classified as P2P by ISPs in the past, and you have to wait for that specific game to be put on the okay list, other games will work fine but that game will not till it's approved by your local totalitarian internet government. 

This

This has been discussed but mostly ruled out.  One, there are just too many ISP's who all would have had to have done this...not likely.  Two, the problems seem to get worse as the servers hit "prime time" hours so basically the more who login / play, the worse it gets.  Also, many people have done tracerts and ping tests to the FFXIV servers and everything is good, my ping is 70ms but I still have this issue.  

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Shatter30

This

This has been discussed but mostly ruled out.  One, there are just too many ISP's who all would have had to have done this...not likely.  Two, the problems seem to get worse as the servers hit "prime time" hours so basically the more who login / play, the worse it gets.  Also, many people have done tracerts and ping tests to the FFXIV servers and everything is good, my ping is 70ms but I still have this issue.  

Ahhhh, then I guess it's not this. I'm surprised this is an ongoing problem really, if the past 10 years are any indicator by now the content locusts should have all left and there should be a bunch of ghost town servers. All the ones they opened up to let in the horde of locusts should be empty as they all leave, people should be complaining and wanting server mergers....Not expressing how hard it is to login still...Weird. 

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

I use Comcast and I've been an online gamer with it for years with no problems.  Most games my ping is 40ms and I have run tracerts to their servers with no bottlenecks, its just on their end. 

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

This

Ahhhh, then I guess it's not this. I'm surprised this is an ongoing problem really, if the past 10 years are any indicator by now the content locusts should have all left and there should be a bunch of ghost town servers. All the ones they opened up to let in the horde of locusts should be empty as they all leave, people should be complaining and wanting server mergers....Not expressing how hard it is to login still...Weird. 

Well, if you look at what some people on this forum are saying, this is indeed the case! Truly a mysterious phenomenon that you can't see it in the real world though, we must have nostradamuses here?

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

This is their netcode, problem is the server only checks your position every .33 seconds also, it oesnt do a check where you are when an attack goes off it just goes off your last know position. cause people to get hit when they;re out of the red very often.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

After having read this, I wonder if this 'issue' isn't effecting me?!

In fights w/ aoe attacks, it seems, I often get hit by the aoe even though I'm WAY far away from it.

Or maybe I just need to l2p.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

The animation and cast timer's arn't completely in sync.  If you get out of the red circle before the cast completes you're safe.  If you are in the red after the cast timer, but out of the red before the animation finishes, you're hit.

For fights like ifrit on eruption.... don't look at the ground eruption, look at ifrit's cast bar.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

I use Comcast and I've been an online gamer with it for years with no problems.  Most games my ping is 40ms and I have run tracerts to their servers with no bottlenecks, its just on their end. 

Comcast user here in the Mountain Time Zone and have had no lag problems at all. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Well it would seem its on FFXIV's part and will besides the gold spammers cost them some resubs.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by ZizouX

The animation and cast timer's arn't completely in sync.  If you get out of the red circle before the cast completes you're safe.  If you are in the red after the cast timer, but out of the red before the animation finishes, you're hit.

For fights like ifrit on eruption.... don't look at the ground eruption, look at ifrit's cast bar.

I was going to mention this, I believe you are 100% correct here.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama

People have been reporting this for a quite a while now. However, players have managed to over come this problem by looking at the cast bar as suggested by zizoux.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

Sadly there is a built in latency due to server checks on your position.

[quote]In FFXIV: ARR, your position is checked by the server once every 0.3 seconds. This timing is synced and processed according to the servers to prevent lag between your input and what you see.[/quote]

Source see page 2.

This thread also talks about the issue.  It needs fixing but SE is being awful silent on the subject.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Sad really. I remember Square Enix being such a great company at one time when they had FFXI running awesome.
  • ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    For healers use focus target on boss and you will always know what theh are casting regardless of your current target
  • vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama

People have been reporting this for a quite a while now. However, players have managed to over come this problem by looking at the cast bar as suggested by zizoux.

I get that but as an ex healer, it's tough to watch the cast bar of your enemy and your tank that goes down faster than a hooker on 7th avenue.

There are no longer any hookers on 7th ave... they cleaned up NYC, that and craigslist/backpage put an end to that.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I wonder if this effects mostly NA (US) players or if EU also have the same issue's.

I can't speak for the game now after release but I had no lag during OB3 and have seen very crowed places, but then again I am on a 300Mbit Fiber connection. And I have noticed in the US it seems abit more difficult to get proper ISP's because they seem somewhat behind the EU as far connections go. Which in my opinion "might" be the cause of so many lag complaints.

Not saying it'sall the players fault because as said havn't played the game since release. But I have read about people's ISP's in other topics which to me explains allot especially in game where I read allot about lag but not experiancing it myself. Still it might be the game itself.

Hope you Guy's get it sorted out in what ever way.

• moondragomoondrago Member UncommonPosts: 47

just stop playing .. thats what i did  .. the game  sucks  ... grind  , login problems .,,  lag ,,  its not  worth it  ... just  quit

i mean that in a  good  way  :)

its a GoOd dAy to diE !!

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by moondrago

just stop playing .. thats what i did  .. the game  sucks  ... grind  , login problems .,,  lag ,,  its not  worth it  ... just  quit

i mean that in a  good  way  :)

Yea, just quit the game so you can hang out here at MMORPG.com and blast every thing in sight. Thats where the fun is...

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    For PC?their DRM is jumpy!do anything too quick and it throttle everything till game is saved then boot you out!
    On ps3? Might be same issue gta5 player have.the game dual load for quicker everything.most don't know this.ff14 might be dual loading also ask s-e.we is working on their rubberbanding issue but so far they haven't found a fix
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

I am one of the people that suddenly can't play this game. I have been playing from beta until a few days ago. I totally lost Internet and once I fixed it the game lags horribly. It must be said that my browser now lags too. So I assume it is my ISP. I have Verizon dsl which sucks balls, so I am switching to charter on Tuesday . I hope this solves the issue as I love this game

• BoraellBoraell Member UncommonPosts: 97

This

If its a traffic shaping issue then primetime is when it will be more evident regardless, and it is incorrectly categorized for me at least (Plusnet, UK) which a tracert or ping test doesn't show, the only way to check if your ISP is prioritising it as gaming traffic is with Wireshark.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I've sure s hell been enjoying the hell out of this "unplayable" game.

Idunno, maybe it's just me.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Its the DRM!