Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just purchased FFARR. I hope it does not dissappoint

Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

After spending lot's of money on GW2. I am finally getting a very blah feeling of the game. As fan of the older Final Fantasy series (specifically 7 & 8) I thought I would give this game a chance. So which server will I be most welcomed in?

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time

Comments

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Skullagrim

After spending lot's of money on GW2. I am finally getting a very blah feeling of the game. As fan of the older Final Fantasy series (specifically 7 & 8) I thought I would give this game a chance. So which server will I be most welcomed in?

The one that lets you create a new character.

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Adamantoise is the nicest server hands down. I've got friends all across the game and they say they've ran into bad apples. While i'm sure it's possible on any server. I haven't met one yet on Adamantoise. Not trying to talk up the server either. Lots of good people. If your looking for a FC (guild) Check out ART. Lots of crafters/friendly people
  • gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    i really love this game so far.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    I think you will like it but I encourage you to not try to consume the content in one sitting.  Take your time with this one, just hang out sometimes with the people around you and see what's happening.  You miss allot by just running from quest to quest and fate to fate.
  • ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272
    I'm on goblin and it's been a great experience so far.  Loving the game, it's nothing new but it's very well done, and the end game is pretty challenging which is always nice.  Love the slow pace, reminds me of ATB from FF games.  
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foreverdream
    Adamantoise is the nicest server hands down. I've got friends all across the game and they say they've ran into bad apples. While i'm sure it's possible on any server. I haven't met one yet on Adamantoise. Not trying to talk up the server either. Lots of good people. If your looking for a FC (guild) Check out ART. Lots of crafters/friendly people
    Yay I'm on adamantoise as well. I think it has a lot of friendly people. General chat/fate chat is usually pretty upbeat. If you're lucky you may even get in a singalong hahaha
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Don't join the power leveling fate groups.
  • Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by Dontneed

I bought this FF XIV a few days ago, played 2.5 hours and I haven't logged in / couldn't log in since then.

This game is identical to Warhammer Online, GW2, EQ2, WoW, and all. Just typical theme park game that doens't have any specialty or anything new.

If you are a FF fan, you may be able to stay longer than me. I'd say 3 months max give or take. 

Good luck.

Nothing AT ALL like WAR or GW2...

The rest of the games you mentioned are pretty damn popular games for a reason.

I blame you for buying a game without doing any research on it...I mean you would have had to buy the game blind and have never read anything on the internet to have assumed the game would be anything different. 

Also...why do you even play mmorpgs if you are going to quit after two hours of questing...?

Part of me thinks you didn't even get the game...

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I highly recommend not purchasing a game based off a chance. If you cannot be bothered to do the minimum research needed in order to make a sound judgement as to determine if a game is suited for your play style/habits then your expectations coming in will already be tainted. Working from an informative position and finding disappointment from what you find is one thing, but working from nostalgia driven fantasies of two games over a decade old and comparing them to that idea in your head of how things could have been is setting FFXIV for failure right out the gate.

But if you can do a little research on the game first, subdue your expectations based on previous installments and sideline your irritations from spending so much money on a other mmorpgs just to walk away feeling unfulfilled, then you may be pleasantly surprised in what this game has to offer.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Don't join the power leveling fate groups.

I agree.

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

I did minimal research. I guess I could have been a little more specific. Looked at some reviews and checked the forums. Like any other mmo. You have 2 sides of the spectrum. People really hate it or really like it. Not too many in the gray area.

I played for about 4 hours yesterday. For the most part I enjoyed it. I really like how the quests are presented. Fates runners reminds me of the "trains in Queensdale". Which I am not too into. I can't wait to play later. I will make a character on Admantoise. Always nice to have a breathe of fresh air.

Thank you every for your replies. :)

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I did minimal research. I guess I could have been a little more specific. Looked at some reviews and checked the forums. Like any other mmo. You have 2 sides of the spectrum. People really hate it or really like it. Not too many in the gray area.

I played for about 4 hours yesterday. For the most part I enjoyed it. I really like how the quests are presented. Fates runners reminds me of the "trains in Queensdale". Which I am not too into. I can't wait to play later. I will make a character on Admantoise. Always nice to have a breathe of fresh air.

Thank you every for your replies. :)

The gold spammers are still a pain be forwarned.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

It's a three-month type of game, but a pretty good one.  There is nothing new in the game, everything in it you have probably done a dozen times in other MMOs.  But it looks good and runs very well and everything basically works, so that makes it better than a lot of games.

You will join FATE groups, you cannot avoid that if you are going to level another class.  You can level a character from 1 to 50 using the quests that are currently in the game (which are all "kill 5 goblin" type of quests).  If you decide to level another class....you suddenly realize that there are no quests available for you, like ever.  Because you already did them.  You cannot level via killing monsters, and those battle quests give pathetic experience.  The only thing to do is FATE grind to 50.  It's a pretty big problem.  So get ready to follow the mass line of people through several zones mindlessly grinding fates over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  Then do it all again when you want to do another class, and again when you want to do another class....and 7 more times when you want to do all the classes.

You can make another character, but it is kind of pointless because you cannot mail items to that character and there is no shared bank.  They created a decent themepark, but they left out several key features like a shared bank which would really help.

• MpfiveMpfive Member UncommonPosts: 308

love this game also, but one of the things which is ruining it for me is all the teleport bots. Its hard to farm mobs for mats when they instantly teleport to the mob when they spawn. I reported them but this one guy has been in same spot for four days now. It puts you off putting the time in to farm:(

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Mpfive

love this game also, but one of the things which is ruining it for me is all the teleport bots. Its hard to farm mobs for mats when they instantly teleport to the mob when they spawn. I reported them but this one guy has been in same spot for four days now. It puts you off putting the time in to farm:(

In four weeks or so of playing I never saw this nor had any troubles.....

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Server woes aside, the game is...ok. Not hating on it, in fact I'm happy for all the people who are enjoying it but I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's a quest hub game...'get x, kill z number of y's then move to new area etc. The fact that you can play any class you want to on the same toon is a good idea but anyone who thinks it's 'amazing' or a refreshingly new experience clearly hasn't been playing any of the long line of incredibly similar games in the last ten years. 
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I read a butt ton of reviews.  I read a butt ton of posts on MMORPG.  I listened to what folks in my little gaming community had to say about the game.  I knew I was buying "The Perfect WoW Clone".  And I'm enjoying myself.  To paraphrase a poster above, don't locustize the content.  Look around the cities.  I played around with graphics settings, and even on the lower end, the thing looks pretty damn good.

Ul'Dah, the starting city for a few classes, looks freaking cool.  The detail put into the smallest of things (such as bricks in the road) and the music score are doing something I HATE talking about - IMMERSING me in the game.  Take your time.  And for the love of Pete, get off the forums and stop listening to us talk about the game.image

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

It's a three-month type of game, but a pretty good one.  There is nothing new in the game, everything in it you have probably done a dozen times in other MMOs.  But it looks good and runs very well and everything basically works, so that makes it better than a lot of games.

You will join FATE groups, you cannot avoid that if you are going to level another class.  You can level a character from 1 to 50 using the quests that are currently in the game (which are all "kill 5 goblin" type of quests).  If you decide to level another class....you suddenly realize that there are no quests available for you, like ever.  Because you already did them.  You cannot level via killing monsters, and those battle quests give pathetic experience.  The only thing to do is FATE grind to 50.  It's a pretty big problem.  So get ready to follow the mass line of people through several zones mindlessly grinding fates over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.  Then do it all again when you want to do another class, and again when you want to do another class....and 7 more times when you want to do all the classes.

You can make another character, but it is kind of pointless because you cannot mail items to that character and there is no shared bank.  They created a decent themepark, but they left out several key features like a shared bank which would really help.

I ve actually leveled my first char on class quests and story quests alone, outside of some extra dungeon runs. You can level 3-4 classes on the quests in the world, with a few FATE runs along the way. The game will last more then 3 months if you just sit back and enjoy the game. You can level off of killing mobs/leve quests. The only way it becomes a problem is if you get in the Ï NEED TO MAX LEVEL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!"mentality.