Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard removes cash shop from Diablo III. Says it undermines gameplay.

Comments

• AriknokAriknok Member UncommonPosts: 4

God DAMN people are naive and gullible. Blizzard is a joke. I used to love the company/games they made but now after the cataclysmic fuck up that is D3 i'm done.

First they come out with D3 and their RMAH stating that it was "to provide a convenient and secure system for trades."

BS

Then after making their initial money off of the RMAH, they see the potential for boosting initial sales on the console ports because it has the new "loot 2.0" which the comp version does not. So they see the amount of people that hated the RMAH and wanted thier own loot so they strip the RMAH from the console versions and get waaaay higher sales. They make their initial sales money and time to move on.

BS

Now, after what, couple weeks? They come out and say they're removing the RMAH from the comp version because "it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot." So the people that bought the console version just for the new loot mechanics and no AH are insta fucked. LOL My fucking GOD. The company is not stupid, they're playing you all like a fiddle. They made their decisions on making the most amount of money in each step of the process, mission accomplished.

BS

And not only that, but they still have soooo many star eyed fan boys that think Blizzard "messed up but are at least correcting their wrongs". LOLOL

Can I have whatever you guys are smokin, cause D A MN that's gotta be some GOOOOD shit!

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by Zaradoom

Simply put: o m g.

That is some drastic changes coming and a major cut in their profit as well. We might get the old Blizzard back, you know... the guys doing great games for games and not for investors.

I would laugh at that, but the truth hurts. MMO Publishers are just in it for the money. Almost all MMOs are made for Investors, not Gamers.

At least years ago they sucked so bad at the business side of things that we *thought* they cared about us Gamers. Sometimes innocence is bliss.

And i am in it for the fun. If a game is entertaining, why would i care if the devs are making it to make money, or whether they are making it to promote world peace?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Ariknok

God DAMN people are naive and gullible. Blizzard is a joke. I used to love the company/games they made but now after the cataclysmic fuck up that is D3 i'm done.

First they come out with D3 and their RMAH stating that it was "to provide a convenient and secure system for trades."

BS

Then after making their initial money off of the RMAH, they see the potential for boosting initial sales on the console ports because it has the new "loot 2.0" which the comp version does not. So they see the amount of people that hated the RMAH and wanted thier own loot so they strip the RMAH from the console versions and get waaaay higher sales. They make their initial sales money and time to move on.

BS

Now, after what, couple weeks? They come out and say they're removing the RMAH from the comp version because "it ultimately undermines Diablo's core game play: kill monsters to get cool loot." So the people that bought the console version just for the new loot mechanics and no AH are insta fucked. LOL My fucking GOD. The company is not stupid, they're playing you all like a fiddle. They made their decisions on making the most amount of money in each step of the process, mission accomplished.

BS

And not only that, but they still have soooo many star eyed fan boys that think Blizzard "messed up but are at least correcting their wrongs". LOLOL

Can I have whatever you guys are smokin, cause D A MN that's gotta be some GOOOOD shit!

I wanna have whatever YOU are smoking cause that some dope shit!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by ray12k
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by monkey_crusher

Blizzard flip-flopping on their own shit policies, another shameless cash-grab in the name of 'user experience'. Oh dear.

Okay. How is Blizzard removing the auction house a cash grab?

Easy they want people to buy the new expansion. Alot of people quit this game.

So wanting customers to buy your product is considered a "cash grab" now? /facepalm

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

LOL , a year before the game released we've been all saying that AH would screw the game up from the inside out , and they wake up now?    The damage has been done, only the expansion that will release in 2014 will change it's fate, but at the moment D3 is still garbage with a tarnished reputation.   Torchlight 2 is a more sound money / time investment and GrimDawn alpha with it's 1st act only solo game play is more enjoyable then the whole D3 game play.   

So yeah, I might be hitting on Blizzard hard, but how the F didn't they see this coming in the first place?   And I'll say it again, only the expansion releasing in 2014 might help bring the glory back into this ONCE amazing franchise. Until then. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Blizzard obviously is a smart company.   They generally know what's going on, and, for the most part, make the right decisions involving their games.  My question is, how did they not anticipate the RL cash shop would have this exact effect on their game?  The Diablo series has ALWAYS been about killing monsters and amassing loot.  Lots and lots of loot.  How could they think allowing players to use real money to buy that loot online would do anything other than degrading the Diablo experience? 

Rookie mistake by a company that should know better.

Things on paper sometimes turnout different in practicum. I don't look at it as they should had known better but that they did it because they can. They wanted to see how it would turn out and seen the conclusion and adapted it by removing it.  No biggie they company is just fine.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• monkey_crushermonkey_crusher Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Originally posted by ray12k

Blizzard flip-flopping on their own shit policies, another shameless cash-grab in the name of 'user experience'. Oh dear.

Okay. How is Blizzard removing the auction house a cash grab?

Easy they want people to buy the new expansion. Alot of people quit this game.

So wanting customers to buy your product is considered a "cash grab" now? /facepalm

Obviously the only ethical way to design games is so no one ever wants to play them. image

Originally posted by LeGrosGamer

LOL , a year before the game released we've been all saying that AH would screw the game up from the inside out , and they wake up now?    

Who is this "we" you speak of? Because opinion was far from universal. Also more people are playing Diablo 3 every week than have ever played torchlight 1&2 combined.

I didn't really mean cash grab. They of course are trying to make money and get people to play.

But after the RMAH 'experiment', it's hard not to see the move cynically.  I'm glad they are removing it....

...But it wouldn't shock me, if they used a RMAH system again in the future. 

Re: lots of people playing Diablo 3, theres this little analogy which I like to call the Mcdonalds/Fine Dining objectivity seeker wherein....

;)

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

I wonder how many consultants, staff manhours, and money they put in to come to this conclusion lol

The community is a fairly good sounding board when it comes to stuff like this lol

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125

Who is this "we" you speak of? Because opinion was far from universal. Also more people are playing Diablo 3 every week than have ever played torchlight 1&2 combined.

I didn't really mean cash grab. They of course are trying to make money and get people to play.

But after the RMAH 'experiment', it's hard not to see the move cynically.  I'm glad they are removing it....

...But it wouldn't shock me, if they used a RMAH system again in the future. 

Re: lots of people playing Diablo 3, theres this little analogy which I like to call the Mcdonalds/Fine Dining objectivity seeker wherein....

;)

I don't agree with the McDonalds analogy when it comes to games. Food is a necessity and McDonalds is very cheap and convenient. If "fine dining" was just as cheap and convenient then that's what everyone would eat. Diablo 3 on the other hand is more expensive than other comparable arpgs by a large margin and on top of that requires an internet connection. Despite these facts, Diablo 3 has sold more copies and is still being played by far more people than any of those other games. So I would say that people play D3 because its actually a good game that is fun. 

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

Am I the only person here who isn't impressed at all with this?

So let me get this straight. You implement the RM:AH, and before the game is even released, there are literally thousands of posts on the forums about how terrible of an idea it is and how much it will ruin the game. Magazines write features about it and how terrible of an idea it was. Websites did full editorial pieces discussing how awful it was. Hell, anyone who has ever played any MMO with RMT involved could chime in and point out how much it destroys video games.

You're trying to tell me Blizzard, who has been running WoW and combatting gold-sellers, ran Diablo 2 and combated botters and RMT sites, and established the most powerful, successful MMORPG ever produced DIDN'T have the foresight to realize how utterly damaging and destructive the RMAH would be for the integrity of the game and the players?

No. I don't buy that. This is a pathetic cash-grab attempt. Anyone who thinks Blizzard gives a single god-damn about the players has lost their mind. This is the realization that they have made their money back 1000-fold from the legitimate 15 months that they somehow didn't notice this happened while the RMAH was active, and their profit margins (from the RMAH on D3) are probably declining, and as such, this type of message can lure hundreds of thousands of players who were driven away by the RMAH back into the game.

I can't believe for one second anyone could have such thick blinders on that this kind of publicity stunt is even allowed. How repulsive.

And don't get me wrong; it's ok to love playing some D3... but don't suddenly talk about how novel and remarkable Blizzard is in this case. This is unadulterated greed, plain and simple.

Edit: An example of how this could look is if "SimCity" were suddenly patched to where you didn't need to be online with the Origin client in a year, and then releasing a statement that said something along the lines of "Well, we didn't realize people wanted it to be a single player game, and after listening to our fans, we've decided to patch it to make it a single player experience... because we care about the players." -EA Games

Would that suddenly make EA Games a great company, an honest company, a company that cares about it's players? No, hell no. It would mean they acknowledged  they were wrong, despite every source telling them they were wrong since before, during, and after their launch, and that they opted to spin their own stubbornness and greed in a way that makes it seem like they cared about their players. This is exactly what Blizzard has done here, and I guarantee you if it wasn't the Blizzard name, we'd never be so impressed with such a horrible spin.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

Originally posted by Cymdai

So let me get this straight. You implement the RM:AH, and before the game is even released, there are literally thousands of posts on the forums about how terrible of an idea it is and how much it will ruin the game.

There are literally thousands of posts that say the same thing about everything. Including things that work very well and are extremely popular. . Forum posts aren't reliable indicators of anything.  If we went by forum posts we'd abandon vaccinations and millions of children would die needlessly. Stop using forum posts as validation of opinion it's worthless as an argument.

Why did you choose to neglect everything else I posted, and use the most insignificant part of the argument as if it were the bread of the argument at hand? Isn't that a bit ridiculous?

So let me get this straight. You implement the RM:AH, and before the game is even released, there are literally thousands of posts on the forums about how terrible of an idea it is and how much it will ruin the game.

There are literally thousands of posts that say the same thing about everything. Including things that work very well and are extremely popular. . Forum posts aren't reliable indicators of anything.  If we went by forum posts we'd abandon vaccinations and millions of children would die needlessly. Stop using forum posts as validation of opinion it's worthless as an argument.

No there isn't.

Yes they can be.

Lol. Would we?

:(

Why did you choose to neglect everything else I posted, and use the most insignificant part of the argument as if it were the bread of the argument at hand? Isn't that a bit ridiculous?

Because everything else is just your opinion. You're entitled to your opinion, just not to bolster it with nonsense unchallenged. "Cash grab" is just a negative way of saying "they want to make money." Well of course they do. They're not a charity. They're not forcing people to give them money at gunpoint, it's purely voluntary. If you have something against companies making money you're going to be sadly disappointed with all of them.

No kidding? An opinion, on a message board? YOU DON'T SAY?!?

And it's not an opinion about business; businesses have to make money. I don't need a business 101 class, thanks. However, pretending that this is being done for the good of the players is simple lunacy, for reasons stated in my OP, which I'm 99% sure you still didn't read all the way.

Edit: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=boiling_blood

Yeh. I am impressed with RoS, and all the changes. I look at if a game is fun to me, not why when how devs do things.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

How long did it take em? Too long. Blizzard is not stupid but its far away from smartest in the bunch. Average at best.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    You come my seminar... You make money on RMAH....  You be rich... You by new house you buy new car.... You come my semina... You be millionaire you go far... You come my seminar

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Misleading title really as a RMAH isn't a cash shop. What it is is a system for facilitating trades between players, trades which could be done using real money while a cash shop is a transaction between the player and either the developer or the publisher of the game in exchange for an item or item-based service. I know to F2P detractors there's no difference between these two but as always the ever so slight difference in definitions makes or breaks a world to some.

No there isn't.

Yes they can be.

Lol. Would we?

A colorful way to say nuh-huh and bead dead wrong.

1 start counting, you'll find contrary opinions on everything.

2 because some random persons said so isn't  a reliable indicator of anything.

3 Yes, care to consult your local physician? Maybe you're too young to remember polio.

1. You said there are literally thousands of posts that say the same thing about everything. There literally isn't. Sure there are contrary opinions on a myriad of subject matters. Thousands on everything? Start counting.

2. Everyone is a random person to someone, discrediting all opinion by virtue of it being on the internet is moronic.

3. I just consulted my physician and he seems to think that there is no correlation between forum posting, hypothetical vaccination abandonment and Polio. 

Maybe I AM too young to remember Polio. MAYBE. What's it to you grandad?

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I suppose they go all data they wanted and the profit wasnt big enough for them anymore to keep it up.

I am sure they will make good use of the data and find a way to make the AH in Titan more profitable for them

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Too little too late and its not even going to happen until March, THAT'S SIX MONTHS AWAY STILL!
  • Baramos79Baramos79 Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Blizzard obviously is a smart company.   They generally know what's going on, and, for the most part, make the right decisions involving their games.  My question is, how did they not anticipate the RL cash shop would have this exact effect on their game?  The Diablo series has ALWAYS been about killing monsters and amassing loot.  Lots and lots of loot.  How could they think allowing players to use real money to buy that loot online would do anything other than degrading the Diablo experience? 

Rookie mistake by a company that should know better.

That was my initial impression as well.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It is the right thing to do and imo a smart move but you need ask,why not the smart thinking BEFORE hand?It kind of shows how slack and lazy developers are in thinking about implementing ideas,they just toss it in and figure they will see what happens.

What would be the SIMPLEST way to implement something of controversy?ASK your player base,is that not what every developer keeps telling us,that they listen to the players?Well apparently not,act first,ask later or don't ask at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

posted by zymurgeist

No there isn't.

Yes they can be.

Lol. Would we?

A colorful way to say nuh-huh and bead dead wrong.

1 start counting, you'll find contrary opinions on everything.

2 because some random persons said so isn't  a reliable indicator of anything.

3 Yes, care to consult your local physician? Maybe you're too young to remember polio.

1. You said there are literally thousands of posts that say the same thing about everything. There literally isn't. Sure there are contrary opinions on a myriad of subject matters. Thousands on everything? Start counting.

2. Everyone is a random person to someone, discrediting all opinion by virtue of it being on the internet is moronic.

3. I just consulted my physician and he seems to think that there is no correlation between forum posting, hypothetical vaccination abandonment and Polio. 

Maybe I AM too young to remember Polio. MAYBE. What's it to you grandad?

You're talking through your hat and splitting hairs now. Posting something that can be verified as untrue with facts isn't the same as expressing an opinion. You're just wrong.

I dont know about talking through my hat. Is that an expression from the Polio era?

The guy you referred to and attempted to discredit earlier said "there are literally thousands of posts on the forums about how terrible of an idea it is and how much it will ruin the game."  He's correct. There are.

It doesn't make it true admittedly. But arguing theres nothing to be learned from peoples opinions is a bit short-sighted.  No-one said "Posting something that can be verified as untrue with facts isn't the same as expressing an opinion."

Here I would say "you're wrong" or "my dad is bigger than your dad" but,

a) I'm not THAT childish and

b) You appear to be making things up and arguing with yourself.

Are you winning?

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by VassagoMael
    This just in: Blizzard States the Obvious!

Yeah they a bit too late. I guess they not earning the money from the RMA transactions anymore.

Originally posted by Wizardry

It is the right thing to do and imo a smart move but you need ask,why not the smart thinking BEFORE hand?

because they have a thousand other things to do? Because it is a big decision and that it takes time to figure out the technical feasibility?