Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could build your own MMORPG.....

Comments

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

the title is a bit tricky. but i have this planned for my own personal project right now

-exploration at planet and space scale, players explore planets and travel throught space as they chart the galaxy

-large galaxy (think something akin to Elite or SPORE)

-realistic physics

-several races

-crafting based (NPC bought items exist but are merely cheap options for beginners, the rest of the game items have to be crafted by players)

-no classes, players can learn from a large (and i mean really large) skill/tech tree which covers from the most basic skills at the start, to the most advanced in all the fields (exploration, combat, industry, science)

-complex magic mechanics

-action based, for all the things, tab options exist but are most to change weapons, and select between spells

-realistic ecosystems, biomes, resources and other natural content

-complex pet and mount system

-vehicle system, with editor, for land, water, air and space, from one rider to multicontrolled ones

-building editor with option for both planetary and space constructions

-player driven market

-player driven "guilds" (at little party lvl), cities(several guilds), states (several cities) and finally, empires(several star systems), with realistic diplomatic management.

-item degradation (we dont have epic gear so no excuse), repairs are possible but the item eventually will become unusable, save for recycling

-open world PvP with full loot, based in urban development with the option to put police defenses,  criminals would receive from a fine, to time in jail, to rewards for capture and up to death bounties and death penalty. the developing system should allow for both safe havens and criminal havens in the same planet. 

-player housing, from NPC cities, to player made cities and houses made in the wild. can be underground and underwater too.

-realistic needs for players, travelling players would be able to get a survival kit (lantern, tent, portable bathroom and other essential comodities) so they can keep travelling without problems, some vehicles should serve as mobile housing.

-characters have a life cycle (including NPCs), it goes from living -> undead -> dead, dead characters live in the final "end game" universe, which is like the hard mode, no more learning by that time, what you learned while in the other two stages will be essential to your afterlife, the only way to go back is to rebirth as a new character, when you do that you'll be able to create a new character and you'll have to star ove again. so basically is like an optional permadeath linked to new character.

-only 1 character per account

-player families with lineages, for the players who want to keep going on the living stage, they can marry another character or an NPC, they'll have a family and will be able to have shared property and items (you'll have your personal things of course), children will serve as the legacy, they will be able to be taken for aprentices or sent to and school/academy to learn, when your children have grow to become adults they will get in the character stock, player couples can choose to keep one or share it. once your other character dies of age, you can opt to abandon it and keep playing with its descendant, which will inherit all the fortune and properties.

-players can enter the undeath via different methods, this stage can be skipped directly but is like a second gameplay. undead are inmortal to age, but not to getting killed, each time you die you loos part of your essence, and at the final blow your soul gets released at last. starting the dead gameplay.

-player death while in the living stage doesnt trigger dead gameplay, thats only possible by natural death.

i dint want to get on the usual thing so i have been thinking of new ways of gameplay, something more inmersive.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

The first and most important thing I would do is (Drum Roll)......................................

After 15 minutes of game play, you would reach level cap. Then the rest would be "End Game" there by nullifying a lot of the bitching and complaining about there being "no End Game".

I think I'll name this new MMO "The Beginning of the End"

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DrCokePepsiDrCokePepsi Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by Odysseyk
    If you could build your own MMORPG,  what features would you like to see in the game that you have always dreamt of ?What current features from current MMOs would you reuse and why?What would you leave out  and why?Give descriptions .
    It's funny reading the replies, everyone on here wants a no-level, open-world, crafting-based game and the whole sandbox shabam, yet everyone complains about games like that. This whole site is just confused.

Never fear, your dream MMO will be here....
    just give me a decade or two to finely hone my Game development
    and design abilities as well as start a Game Design Studio.
    Thank you for your patience.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by DrCokePepsi
    Originally posted by Odysseyk
    If you could build your own MMORPG,  what features would you like to see in the game that you have always dreamt of ?What current features from current MMOs would you reuse and why?What would you leave out  and why?Give descriptions .
    It's funny reading the replies, everyone on here wants a no-level, open-world, crafting-based game and the whole sandbox shabam, yet everyone complains about games like that. This whole site is just confused.

The devil is in the details. One person's no level, open world, crafting based sandbox style game is another person's easy mode theme park hybrid.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

This whole site is not a single person. 

It is strange to me how often I see people personifying whole communities and expecting them to speak with a single unified opinion.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

EQ with updated graphics, UI..... that would be enough for me.

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

In my game would be no chat interface :)

I would manage voice coms like in real life, stay near, hear normal ....

Ofcause there is textual communications as well, we still have that everywhere in real life, but playing with others or near others should let you hear them like in real life, like any other NPC that talks to you, fully integrated into the game world.

Channel the voice groups like chatgroups and so on, so it wont be chaos ...

just an idea .. ^^

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

If I could make my own MMO? Well, I'd try to make an MMORPG with more of the P&P feel. But then I'd have to ignore the MMO part and all that comes with that.

• wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60

Make an Old-western type of mmo.

Classes: Cowboys, indians (shamans, warriors)  Pinkertons, Mercenaries, bounty hounters, Priests, Gold Racers, soldiers, bandits, etc...

Races: Caucasians, Natives, Spaniards, Mexicans, Africans

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    swords and sorcerer's version of EVE online.as exact a copy as possible.i'd be set for many years.

Very interested in this. I.e., vibrant economy with territory control.

Originally posted by fs23otm
    EQ with updated graphics, UI..... that would be enough for me.

Nice. Although I'll be happy with classic EQ, too.

Originally posted by wesmo
    Make an Old-western type of mmo.

YES! Would love a Boot Hill type of MMO.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'd also love a Gamma World MMO. Plus I spent lots of time designing an MMO which requires raiders to 'clear' before ordinary gamers could survive. The landscape would have destructible buildings which spawn powerful monsters.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

A game with.....

Awsome Action Combat.

EVE's economy where players make EVERYTHING

A Full Realm PVP system With all the zones being cappable.

A Keep/Castle siege system where payers have to acutally BUILD the castes, with stone, and wood they have to gather.

An awsome PVP community where players fight over the best resources and are always ganking supply lines and seiging small camps. (All the supply trains are moved and gathered by players)

A Huge open world with about 10 million players on a single server with all of them contributing to the effort. (Oh and everyone has to be happy about it)

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    I've tried it.  It isn't as easy as it sounds! :)

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

Originally posted by worldalpha
    I've tried it.  It isn't as easy as it sounds! :)

LOL made my day, i bow to you sir, i wonder, how much time you took to create the technical and design document? im working on my own project but im not ready to get on the thing yet, im only at the world building/ and technical conceptualization. im planning to get on the action once i graduate.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

A Star Wars MMORPG with thousands of planets and seamless planet to space flight. Better than SWG and SWTOR combined with EVE and full procedural generation of planets able to be fully explored with landmarks.  Hundreds of classes/professions from moisture farmers to Jedi Masters. Multiple person star ships. Bounty hunters and other jobs like pilot, doctor, droid engineer and more. Living A.I. where the npcs will hire you and run businesses and eat and do daily routines. Able to join the Rebels, or Empire along with multiple other factions or start your own.

In short a Star Wars MMORPG that makes SWTOR and SWG grovel in tears of shame.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by nilden

A Star Wars MMORPG with thousands of planets and seamless planet to space flight. Better than SWG and SWTOR combined with EVE and full procedural generation of planets able to be fully explored with landmarks.  Hundreds of classes/professions from moisture farmers to Jedi Masters. Multiple person star ships. Bounty hunters and other jobs like pilot, doctor, droid engineer and more. Living A.I. where the npcs will hire you and run businesses and eat and do daily routines. Able to join the Rebels, or Empire along with multiple other factions or start your own.

I want to play this game.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

If i could ,I will make a 2D shooter MMO with space base theme where you build your ship and travel around infinitive space to discover new planets for ancient technology and resource .

Gameplay simple , move your ship with keyboard , aim and shoot using mouse , evade enemy's bullets and destroy them.

A lots type of bullet use as skill , you use resource to build it or buy it.

more big size of your ship , more weapon you can carry but make you hard to evade bullets.

You could gate jump between planets but space always hide something interest for people like discover (or like to get lost).

If i could make one then money wasn't my problem and if i have to do , it will be free will donation (maybe) or subs , but never mean P2W , i rather let it close than see it turn in to a p2w game.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

There's a game like that in development, calling "Infinity: The Quest for Earth". They are revamping their website at the moment though.

My computer is better than yours.

• monkey_crushermonkey_crusher Member Posts: 41

I would like a game where I can play cards in taverns, with the ability to cheat based on dexterity. 

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

There's a game like that in development, calling "Infinity: The Quest for Earth". They are revamping their website at the moment though.

Infinity is still going? I thought that had stalled and became vaporware... thanks for the info, I will definitely put my eyes on this again.

@OP... an idea like this one would summarize nicely my "goals" for a MMO if I ever made one.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Hmmm: No classes. Leveling is via leveling individual parts of. A skill. Damage, reuse speed, energy cost etc etc all leveled individually. Also all attacks start as generic physical or magic attacks but xp can be used to attach special effects like fire lightning cold etc etc.
    Personally. I like instances so...there would be a mix of public zones and instances with instances staged to your ability levels.
    No PvP what so ever. Or Pvp that is insultingly stupid and not worth playing.
    Lunch break done I probably come back later and edit more in :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Infinity is still going? I thought that had stalled and became vaporware... thanks for the info, I will definitely put my eyes on this again.

@OP... an idea like this one would summarize nicely my "goals" for a MMO if I ever made one.

Infinity is still in development, just that they're doing the engine, so it will take some years before they get to do the game, but for now, they wanted to use the current iteration of the engine to create "Infinity: Battlescape" an small space game which could serve to catapult the development, they will put that in a kickstarter soon, once they finish organizing the new website.

• TheRealBanangoTheRealBanango Member UncommonPosts: 89

All I want is an Assassins Creed MMO, the latest pirate one.

But seriously, I want a BALANCE between a sandbox and a theme park style game. that way more people can be happy, and Ill have more people to gank :)

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

I'd make the game fun ...which most mmo's aren't.

Take away the kill ten wolves quest.

Originally posted by DMKano

I wouldn't

MMOs are just way too much of a risk in current market.

It would be much wiser to develop a smaller game with a fraction of the money for smaller but less risky profit.

the problem is trying to monetize it like if it was another FPS title, speeding out development instead of taking the time to develop, and of course, trying to live from hype and initial sales.

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

Anarchy Onlines (vanilla launch) Skill Based progression would feature heavily

EQ2's crafting system (vanilla launch) with its inter-professional dependencies