Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Review in Progress #4

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We have spent the past three weeks examining different aspects of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. In our final installment of our Review in Progress, we wrap up the weekly series in preparation for next week's official final review. Check out our thoughts on questing, leves, reputation and more. Read on and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Like most MMOs Final Fantasy has the dreaded curse of exclamation point quests givers that hang out and idly chit chat at their quest hub until you arrive to save them from the world! But, and this is a big but, a meteoric size but if you will, that is not all. The main storyline quests are exclamation points encircled with a meteor to help them stand out from the pack. While quests are a staple of the A Realm Reborn storyline they are by no means the only form of interaction that your player has with the world. In a previous review we talked about FATEs, the XIV dynamic questing system throughout the world, but there are also leves and heists that you will participate in as you play the game. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Review in Progress #4.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i assume the 5.1 is for the original version?

ARR deserves something in the sevens at least.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• albob35albob35 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have really been enjoying this game. I think in one of your earlier RIPs you called it "the bug". Its been a while, but I too have caught it.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by itchmon

i assume the 5.1 is for the original version?

ARR deserves something in the sevens at least.

Yeah it's the 1.0 score.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    So is this the final RIP before the actual review score is given?

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by albob35
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but I have really been enjoying this game. I think in one of your earlier RIPs you called it "the bug". Its been a while, but I too have caught it.

I felt the same way.  By the time I reached level 42 on my dragoon.  I couldn't bring myself to log in.  I doubt i'll ever log back in.  Decent game, but same old same old.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I thought you said you were going to review crafting. Its one of the best things about the game and should be included in your final score.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

got the bug myself

i swore i wouldn't do another quest grinding game after whatever my last one was - yeah well.......

quite enjoying all the dialogue (and there is a lot) in this game - cute, smart and funny - writers seemed to have enjoyed themselves - probably my favorite part

not generally a group player and won't join a guild but was forced to do my first dungeon last night - it was long, the tank was a bit wild so was hard to support as a DPS, the healer was great though and i ended up having a great time - might have to do these on purpose (actually kinda looking forward to doing another - weird)

possibly the biggest plus is that the game just works - not a single glitch anywhere unless you count the server queue - amazing

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Ok..Thanks Robert for this review. :)

It's a very well crafted game and it's mostly like you say, however I have some issues with it..

1 . Where are ALL the "real kids" and older people.  What's up with EVERY single person in this game is looking to be 10-16 .

2. ´Why such a STRONG focus on soloplay, the combat "solo" in this game is dreadfully boring, grouping however is as good as it gets.

3 The Voice over work in this game is very bad , I mean teenagers sounding like mid 40-50 ish ladys and Lallafel .. How can anyone take these serious ?

4 The over the top gold spam..

5 Some "open" dungeons would have been nice .

6 This is my first time with a FF game, so I did not have much clue how it would be story vise, but I'd have to say that it's simply super cheasy and a very bad "star warsy" like story. Can't see what all the "greatness" of the brand FF really comes from, but I'd imagine it comes from the "looks" rather than producing a unique and wonderful tale.

• Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    What do you mean, Thark, strong focus on solo play? this is the first MMO I play where I get forced to do dungeons-runs to be able to continue.... And I love it!
  • VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Tsumoro
    So is this the final RIP before the actual review score is given?

This is the final review before the final final review.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    The game isn't my cup of tea, but I would expect it to be 7 or 7.6, they have improved. :)
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Cliff1963
    What do you mean, Thark, strong focus on solo play? this is the first MMO I play where I get forced to do dungeons-runs to be able to continue.... And I love it!

Yeah..Thats great..and I agree :)

But what I'm talking about is all the other fights besides the dungeons, Besides there isn't that many dungeons ...So you will have to play solo most of the time and it's simply boring..

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by thark
    Originally posted by Cliff1963

Yeah..Thats great..and I agree :)

But what I'm talking about is all the other fights besides the dungeons, Besides there isn't that many dungeons ...So you will have to play solo most of the time and it's simply boring..

There are 16-18 dungeons.. and 3 primal fights.   We also have Binding Coil of Bahamut 8 person raid.  That seems to be pretty solid for a game that just release (or re-released).

They are adding a 24 person raid in 2 months and 2 more primal battles, one of which will be Good King Moogle Mog.  They are adding PvP (arenas and Realm v. Realm) and Housing in 2 months as well.

Unless you've been playing 14 hours a day and are binding coil of bahamut round 5.... then there's plenty for you to do.  

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

Completely disagree with all the 7's comments.  This deserves at least 8.2 or higher. 

The way they completely revamped this game in such a short time,  and dual developed for Ps3 and ps4.  is phenominal.  

It really deserves much more recognition then people give it.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

My personal rating, being a self-admitted FF fanboy and a huge YoshiP fan, this game is 9/10 for me.

If I were trying to be objective, I would rate it at least, 8/10.  The current metacritic score is 8.5/10.  Sounds about right to me.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    Originally posted by albob35

I felt the same way.  By the time I reached level 42 on my dragoon.  I couldn't bring myself to log in.  I doubt i'll ever log back in.  Decent game, but same old same old.

In my case I thought "I should be enjoying this but I'm not so why am I playing it". So I stopped playing. Too many MMOs are just more of the same, there is nothing different out there.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

For teleports, I just set two main cities as my favorites & one as my home point. I can 'return' every few minutes for free, and teleporting to the other cities isn't much more expensive than paying for the airship ride. If I find myself going to a certain sub-area often, I'll set a town there to my third 'favorite'.

Quick, efficient, and doesn't cost you much more than airship tickets, especially once you get your own chocobo & don't have to hire the porters anymore.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I thought you said you were going to review crafting. Its one of the best things about the game and should be included in your final score.

+1

Crafting is not only the best thing in the game - it's also a BIG part of the game and I'm happy about it :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Strange review, they did not say anything about the boring quests (and they are very, very, very boring, add fate farming - and no, they are bullshit compared to dynamic events in GW2!). Over all the leveling experience feels a little grindy and dull. The world feels tiny with a lot of zoning and invisible walls.

And then they leave out the crafting, which is fantastic. GW2 has a very comfortable system with cool features, but it is nothing compared to the crafting they have in FFXIV.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    It looked like there was going to be one more RIP and they decided to drop it so skipped discussing crafting. (which for me, was sort of boring and I lost interest a couple of hours into it)  There are not nearly enough "traditional" quests in the game to level 1-50 much less repeat on another class. So FATE grinding is your friend and I'm not overly fond of FATEs. Dungeon queues only pop fast if you're a healer. My score would be a 6, maybe 6.5.
  • tallfellatallfella Member UncommonPosts: 9

• tallfellatallfella Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Like most new games this site will give this Japanese WOW clone and GW2 wanna be, a high score. I remember Bill on the night of GW2 release actually in tears on the live stream blabbing or should that be blubbing about how great that game was. I just could'nt believe it , i thought to my self this guy is a great actor he should be in Hollywood. 
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Im am not gonna resub until they do something about all the gold spamming. That's just me

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

There isn't a thing I'd change about this game.  I can't stand people that say it's WoW all over again...they obviously haven't try to level a second or third class/job to 50.  The quests and such I believe were put in to get you a level 50 really quickly, however, it's when you go back to level other things where you get the old school MMO feel.   I've had to explain this it seems a million times on just about every thread talking about quest hubs and such.  This isn't a quest hub leveling game after you're first (definitely after your second) 50.

I just find it funny when you look at all the threads about this game.  There's a million threads about how it's a "WoW clone" and all you do is quest after quest.  These people have obviously not started on another class.  Then you got threads with people complaining about not having quests after your first 50...it seems like if they came out with a game where they paid you $10,000 an hour to play it, people would complain about it lol.

Really I never put much faith in any review, if I haven't played it, however Rob has done a good job with this Review.  If I had to put a number on it, (after 2.1 comes out), then it'd be a perfect 10.  There hasn't been a game since FFXI and DAoC before that, which has captured my enthusiasm for MMOs.  I can literally sit down and play for 48 hours straight on a weekend, and never get bored with it :)

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by DMKano

Also the story is very cheesy, someone mentioned crafting - I just got my ltw to 50 and weaver to 38 - its a grind, imo. What is so great aboit it?

It's very well done and can make you a huge amount of money at any level range. Money that actually matters in this game.

You seem to have grinded your way to 50 asap though, so I'm not all that surprised the point in crafting completely got over your head.

It's a sad sight to see, in all honesty. The game is brilliant but everyone plays it as if they were playing some WoW clone where NPC's supply you with everything and money is just another resource to grind on top of million other resources, not the driving force behind the game.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".