Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE to attempt policing all your online activities.

Comments

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I should not be able to walk up to anyone and start blathering in their face about how ugly they are or stand in the lobby of some media company and decry the fact that their products show nudity or discuss creationism.

Yes actually, you should be able to.  You probably shouldn't do it, but it should not be - and is not - illegal.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by g0m0rrah  
    " Sony has been getting widely slammed across the gaming and tech press for its bizarre and self-destructive lawsuit against George Hotz (Geohot), for jailbreaking the PS3 in order to re-enable a feature that Sony had long-advertised, but then deleted off of people's existing PS3s. The entire lawsuit made little sense, and Sony's quixotic attempt to continue to pursue it just got more and more bizarre, with the company even seeking and gaining access to the IP addresses of people visiting his website or watching the YouTube video he put up. "  Sony settled with the guy in this lawsuit and obviously they took thing way to far.  " A German consumer rights organization is suing the company, claiming that the inability to resell downloadable games from their Steam service infringes on the rights of consumers." Valve lost this lawsuit.  So you are wrong.  EULA and ToS are only legally binding if backed by law.  These are not small companies losing lawsuits...  
     Good finds ;)  , I also believe EA just lost a lawsuit for the resale issue as well. TOS and EULA do not hold ground in court.

TOS and EULA are like bike locks. They only keep honest people honest.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

" Sony has been getting widely slammed across the gaming and tech press for its bizarre and self-destructive lawsuit against George Hotz (Geohot), for jailbreaking the PS3 in order to re-enable a feature that Sony had long-advertised, but then deleted off of people's existing PS3s. The entire lawsuit made little sense, and Sony's quixotic attempt to continue to pursue it just got more and more bizarre, with the company even seeking and gaining access to the IP addresses of people visiting his website or watching the YouTube video he put up. "

Sony settled with the guy in this lawsuit and obviously they took thing way to far. 

" A German consumer rights organization is suing the company, claiming that the inability to resell downloadable games from their Steam service infringes on the rights of consumers."

Valve lost this lawsuit.  So you are wrong.  EULA and ToS are only legally binding if backed by law.  These are not small companies losing lawsuits...

Good finds ;)  , I also believe EA just lost a lawsuit for the resale issue as well. TOS and EULA do not hold ground in court.

Well they can hold up in court. It all depends if the contract is backed by the law.  Sometimes they hold up, often they do not.  EULA and ToS are there to ensure accountability. I created this rule, the consumer signed a document showing that he read this rule, this ensures accountability.  Problems arise when these rules violate law.  Like being able to resale a product you purchase. In some countries its mandatory that resale be allowed.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

I can see both sides of this particular argument.

A few years back a couple kids at my school got suspended for having a fight..... IN THE PARK. Yes they had a fight OFF school grounds, and got suspended from school for it.

I don't think an institution should take it on themselves to police things they have no stake in.

On the other hand though the Bull$hazlle that happens on the internet do to the screen of anonymity is appalling. And I say game on to people who punish people for doing BS things.

There isn't really a right answer.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

If you give Sony the authorisation to link your facebook / twitter / insert social media site here and you say something bad / illegal on it, Sony will ban you from their game.

Not sure I see the bad side to this.

I mean, if I use my mobile to say bad / illegal things to people, my cellular provider will definitely (and should) suspend my account.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

I should not be able to walk up to anyone and start blathering in their face about how ugly they are or stand in the lobby of some media company and decry the fact that their products show nudity or discuss creationism.

Yes actually, you should be able to.  You probably shouldn't do it, but it should not be - and is not - illegal.

Well, the person has no obligation listening to you. If he retreat to his house, or his room, you should not be allowed to bother him. That is why we have anti-stalking laws, and restraining order.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

If they did this in WOW thered be like 12 people left on the servers!!  But seriously, people just watch what you say and dont be asshats , like me. Thats all they are saying . Im surprised this has gone this many posts . People talking about lawyers...Get a clue...People that are against not being able to be an asshat....Get a clue...

At the end of the day its them keeping the spazzes out.  But feeling supressed by the man...Rofl...Rofl...Get a clue..

Originally posted by moguy2

If they did this in WOW thered be like 12 people left on the servers!!  But seriously, people just watch what you say and dont be asshats , like me. Thats all they are saying . Im surprised this has gone this many posts . People talking about lawyers...Get a clue...People that are against not being able to be an asshat....Get a clue...

At the end of the day its them keeping the spazzes out.  But feeling supressed by the man...Rofl...Rofl...Get a clue..

But but but... Freedom!

Merica! and... and....

:(

/joking

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Well, the person has no obligation listening to you. If he retreat to his house, or his room, you should not be allowed to bother him. That is why we have anti-stalking laws, and restraining order.

And so, when I leave Sony's website or game and retreat to my Facebook page, I should be able to say what I want.  They should not be banning people.  Say I don't like cursing.  Is it ok for me to come to your house and demand you never say "damn?"  

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

And so, when I leave Sony's website or game and retreat to my Facebook page, I should be able to say what I want.  They should not be banning people.  Say I don't like cursing.  Is it ok for me to come to your house and demand you never say "damn?"  

No.

But Sony does not go to your house and demand you never say "damn", does it? It merely prevent you from saying "damn" in their game.

I certainly have the right of not inviting you to my house if i don't like your language.

I can demand you never say 'damn' and if you do, you are not coming into my house.

Gdemami -

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

" Sony has been getting widely slammed across the gaming and tech press for its bizarre and self-destructive lawsuit against George Hotz (Geohot), for jailbreaking the PS3 in order to re-enable a feature that Sony had long-advertised, but then deleted off of people's existing PS3s. The entire lawsuit made little sense, and Sony's quixotic attempt to continue to pursue it just got more and more bizarre, with the company even seeking and gaining access to the IP addresses of people visiting his website or watching the YouTube video he put up. "

Sony settled with the guy in this lawsuit and obviously they took thing way to far. 

" A German consumer rights organization is suing the company, claiming that the inability to resell downloadable games from their Steam service infringes on the rights of consumers."

Valve lost this lawsuit.  So you are wrong.  EULA and ToS are only legally binding if backed by law.  These are not small companies losing lawsuits...

Well they can hold up in court. It all depends if the contract is backed by the law.  Sometimes they hold up, often they do not.  EULA and ToS are there to ensure accountability. I created this rule, the consumer signed a document showing that he read this rule, this ensures accountability.  Problems arise when these rules violate law.  Like being able to resale a product you purchase. In some countries its mandatory that resale be allowed.

Well, of course. Things like death threats and hacking are definitely against the law. These no matter what should have 0 tolerance. However, most everything else on an EULA or TOS is just garbage that doesn't hold ground. For example: you can't refuse your customer the ability to resell their product if they do so choose.

No, but they can keep the person who purchased second hand from accessing certain parts of the game, if not ban them entirely from the servers.  Purchase an account for wow through a secondhand site (one of those that sell level cap toons) announce it on the forums (it may take more than once) and see if the account doesn't get banned for breaking the rules.  The same reason some companies are charging 10$ for online access codes (I believe most EA titles do this).  The code comes with the original purchase but is only redeamable once and is tied to your account.  Buy it used and that code has been used, you can't use it again, you have to pay a fee to get a new code.  

There isn't some teenager sitting around writing up EULA's.   The lawyers writing these know what the laws of their respective countries are and know that you can't sign away your consumer rights (what limited consumer rights we have in the U.S.).  They write the EULA's with this in mind.  They don't just pull it out of a hat, contrary to popular belief on the forums.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It always sounds good on paper but i always ask the exact same question.

That is IF it was YOUR kid who was in question,would you treat him the same as any other player and ban him from all your games for life?For example one of Smedley's kids?

My guess is NO,so it would be unjust to treat certain people with extra privileges.I ask that same question about anything in life,would you treat yourself the same way,if not,then you are  two faced and lower than the people you claim to be policing.

Point is,i am all for SOE showing us some great morals,but they had better uphold them throughout as they claim they will.Personally i don't understand what brought this up,this is something i would EXPECT from them and all developers without the need to tell us.

I would like to share a little tidbit that proves they are not as upstanding as they claim.When your account gets hacked,it is ALWAYS YOUR fault, and trying to get help is near impossible.You are always considered guilty FIRST then have to prove your innocence.Then you should realize that stealing someone's account is also stealing their personal ID,that is a criminal offense,you would think SOE and any other developer would take it VERY seriously,but nope,not at all.It is simply,PROVE your innocence and we might give your account back and as to your hacked personal ID,oh well YOUR fault.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

The thing is, you can walk up to someone and call them ugly or  say mean things to them, however, there could be consequences to that.  If your boss walks by as you are doing it, you may get fired.   You also may do it and nobody be around and get away with it.  That is the chance you take when acting in a socially negative way.   

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Sony has every right to ban from their service for any reason as per TOS.

What they do not have a right to do is monitor peoples communication outside their Sony.com, or station.com sites.

Because this will lead to a lot of false bans if a TROLL knows other players in game names and trolls using different IP address/Fake Email and someone else station name.

I am thinking that I will put in a ticket to sony myself and show them what this person has said about the trolls let sony handle it as an internal matter because I feel that sony has over step their lines, but then again I am not even going to buy a Sony PS3, or PS4 myself because consoles suck.

FaceBook, and Twitter both have their own T.O.S which means you can report a user Trolling, or even block their posts/comments.

Originally posted by jpnz

I can demand you never say 'damn' and if you do, you are not coming into my house.

And that's absolutely fine, although you just said it, so you'll have to throw yourself out.  :-)  But Sony is suggesting I can't say it in my OWN house.

Originally posted by jpnz

And that's absolutely fine, although you just said it, so you'll have to throw yourself out.  :-)  But Sony is suggesting I can't say it in my OWN house.

No, they are not saying that.  They are saying that you can do/say whatever you want in your house or anywhere else.  Just don't expect to come over and play after you do.

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    All I read was "If you turn against the Sony regime you will be executed!"
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

And yet when I reported a convicted child molester who is on his own states dangerous sexual predator watch list.

Provided them proof of not only his identity, name, address, and the documentation of his crimes, and let them know he is a guild leader hiding who he is, while  having access to children through their games, in violation of his parole.  

SOE does not care in the least.

But hey it is nice to see they have their priorities.

Originally posted by psiic

And yet when I reported a convicted child molester who is on his own states dangerous sexual predator watch list.

Provided them proof of not only his identity, name, address, and the documentation of his crimes, and let them know he is a guild leader hiding who he is, while  having access to children through their games, in violation of his parole.  

SOE does not care in the least.

But hey it is nice to see they have their priorities.

Course I'm going to believe you RANDOM Internet Poster 1213131.

I'm Al Gore btw, I invented the Internet! :P

Gdemami -

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Sovrath I should not be able to walk up to anyone and start blathering in their face about how ugly they are or stand in the lobby of some media company and decry the fact that their products show nudity or discuss creationism.    

Uh, no. Sovrath's freedom ends where other peoples' freedom begins. He doesn't own the lobby of that media company, so the media company can determine whether or not he can be there. His right to say what he wants ends at the point where he's infringing on the rights of the person he's standing in front off, impeding their way and possibly spouting libelous things at them in order to malign their character.

If at any point he's shown to not be responsible enough to handle the ability to walk around wherever his will takes him, then he shouldn't have the ability to do so.

SOE has the right to decide who can or cannot access their property. Consumers have the right to decide whether or not to consume products that SOE makes. SOE isn't deciding what people can and cannot do, SOE is deciding who can or cannot access their product.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Well, of course. Things like death threats and hacking are definitely against the law. These no matter what should have 0 tolerance. However, most everything else on an EULA or TOS is just garbage that doesn't hold ground. For example: you can't refuse your customer the ability to resell their product if they do so choose.

No, but they can keep the person who purchased second hand from accessing certain parts of the game, if not ban them entirely from the servers.  Purchase an account for wow through a secondhand site (one of those that sell level cap toons) announce it on the forums (it may take more than once) and see if the account doesn't get banned for breaking the rules.  The same reason some companies are charging 10$ for online access codes (I believe most EA titles do this).  The code comes with the original purchase but is only redeamable once and is tied to your account.  Buy it used and that code has been used, you can't use it again, you have to pay a fee to get a new code.  

There isn't some teenager sitting around writing up EULA's.   The lawyers writing these know what the laws of their respective countries are and know that you can't sign away your consumer rights (what limited consumer rights we have in the U.S.).  They write the EULA's with this in mind.  They don't just pull it out of a hat, contrary to popular belief on the forums.

God, I hope some of the people who are "writing" these aren't lawyers because I've seen and read several EULA/TOS that were copy pasted right from another companies EULA/TOS.

I guess you could get some small time outfit that can't afford a lawyer to write their own EULA or TOS and throw something together and don't know the laws of their country/state well enough to do a good job of it.  As far as copying goes, an indy company could copy and paste SOE's EULA/TOS and it shouldn't really matter if they are running an mmo.  Now if they are say selling an anti-virus product and are copy and pasting an mmo EULA, then yeah, there's a problem.  But Wildstar's TOS/EULA should need to look all that different than Everquest's EULA, except for you know changing the names involved.  

Now you have me picturing reading a EULA for say Final Fantasy XIV and reading Everquest and Sony Online Entertainment everywhere it should read Final Fantasy XIV and Square Enix.  I'm never gonna get this out of my head.

Edit:  I found this court case in the U.S. that pertains to licensing vs. ownership which is applicable to this discussion because most mmo TOS/EULA state that you are licensing rather than purchasing their product:

In Vernor v. Autodesk, Inc. the 9th Circuit created a three-factor test to decide whether a particular software licensing agreement is successful in creating a licensing relationship with the end user. The factors include: 1) whether copyright owner specifies that a user is granted a license; 2) whether the copyright owner significantly restricts the user's ability to transfer the software to others; and 3) whether the copyright owner imposes notable use restrictions on the software. In VernorAutodesk's license agreement specified that it retains title to the software and the user is only granted a non-exclusive license. The agreement also had restrictions against modifying, translating, or reverse-engineering the software, or removing any proprietary marks from the software packaging or documentation. The agreement also specified that software could not be transferred or leased without Autodesk's written consent, and could not be transferred outside the Western Hemisphere. Based on these facts, the 9th Circuit held that the user is only a licensee of Autodesk's software, not an owner and hence the user could not resell the software on eBay without Autodesk's permission.

I have only read 2 mmo's licensing agreements WoW and EvE and both state that you are only licensing the product which would fall into this legal precedent of not being able to resell the account even though you have "purchased" it.  EU countries have more consumer protections in place and have ruled that you can resell even digital copies of movies and music, but the U.S., not so much.

This discussion has been closed.