Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE to attempt policing all your online activities.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Nevulus

A "Verbal Contract" is a joke that holds no ground in an actual legal agreement. If you want any legal proof especially in court you need hard facts. 

[mod edit]

I have not verbally agreed to nor have I signed any contracts to play these games. Clicking a button binds nothing on my behalf. Once again, these arguments stating that the TOS and EULA are hold stronger ground than actual law is a joke. You must have a third party to witness your actions on a "verbal contract". 

It's quite apparent that you didn't even read your own article. Because the article itself tells you to back up a "verbal contract" with hard physical evidence of the agreement.

The answer is yes—as long as you can prove it in court. It's interesting to note that many powerful people have engaged in handshake deals, from Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich to Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. But more than likely, these handshake deals were followed by large contracts that outlined key deal points and terms. If you are the type of person who prefers informal agreements sealed by a handshake, at the very least, have a few people on hand to witness you "shake on it." A handshake deal is always more binding when there are witnesses to the agreement. In other words, avoid agreeing to anything in a dark alley when no one else is looking.

If you did go ahead and shake on an oral contract with no one to witness it, you should probably get right to work on your half of the bargain. Because putting your words into immediate action is another way to validate your oral agreement. If you begin acting on your agreement with the other party acting in compliance, you create additional evidence that a deal was struck. Of course, the only problem with this strategy is that it requires the other party to immediately begin work on their half of the agreement.

Failing witness testimony or any actions that verify your handshake deal, you can always present supporting materials to strengthen your claim. For example, any correspondence between two parties is admissible in court, particularly if it is sent certified mail. Faxes, emails, letters, memos and receipts all help establish your handshake deal. If you are particularly uncomfortable drawing up a contract—say with a friend—a simple "thank you" letter immediately following a handshake is always a good way to establish the terms of your agreement. The recipient will not think of it as possible "evidence," but simply as a polite gesture.

Of course, none of this is necessary if both parties are happy and everyone lives up to their word. In a very simple deal, chances are slim that anyone is going to wind up having to prove anything in court. But if there is a dispute that lands you in court, the burden is on you to produce evidence of the transaction.

More often than not, handshake deals fall apart over the details of the agreement. Oral contracts are often useful for simple exchanges such as "I will trade you my old air conditioner for your old refrigerator." But for deals with a multitude of finer points such as employment or lease agreements, it's always best to get your deal in writing. For those of you who still feel uncomfortable asking your buddy to sign a piece of paper, remember—it's not so much an issue of trust as it is of clarity. Perhaps Nixon said it best when he quipped, "trust everyone, but cut the cards."

[mod edit]

You don't have to sign your name to your tax form in the U.S. anymore, does that mean that I can just submit anything to them?  No.  How is clicking a box that says "I agree to the terms and conditions" somehow less binding than signing your name?  I will agree with you on your overall argument that no contract (or since you refuse to believe they are contracts, any EULA) is valid if it takes away a right perscribed by law.  But just because you don't sign your name to something doesn't make it not valid in this digital age.   Good luck trying to tell someone that you didn't really agree because you never signed it, but "all I did was click a box that said I agree, that's not really agreeing."  That will not get you very far.  Fortunately in the realm of this thread it is a moot point because when I go to any store or retail service I don't usually have to sign anything, and they still have the ability to kick me out with no refund if I make an ass of myself.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by ray12k I said I dont believe cyber bully is a major issue. since people can click the close button or not read a message.

Actually it probably is.

The issue is not that people can just click that box and shut it and ignore it but more that they just don't have the mental and emotional capacity to do it.

If one is a fairly confident and stable individual it does seem hard to believe that someone can't just close the page and say "f-off" and leave it at that.

There are people who just don't have the ability to do this. Call it mental illness or bad parenting or lack of self esteem but it exists.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by urdriel

WAIT,WAIT,WAIT,WAIT,WAIT,WAIT,WAIT,¡¡¡¡¡

So, if I buy a new car, and i talk shyt about it in internet, the company can send an employee to MY house and steal MY car??

Of course, by some peoples logic. Why not? Apparently it's the companies right to do so.

Can you not see the difference between paying for a service and buying a physical product?  A service will have stipulations in place that can at times restrict your access or even revoke your access to those services. This is no different.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SpacemyfaceSpacemyface Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Spacemyface

/snip

what's next? making players pass a criminal background check before being able to play a freaking game? this whole concept is like the 1984 of the gaming world...and yes these principles reach far beyond this small spectrum of online activity. ...cough NSA cough

Last I checked, Sony isn't hacking Twitter or your Facebook account.

The gamers themselves have to give authorisation to Sony.

Don't like that, don't buy Sony products.

Difference between this and 1984/NSA is that one is voluntary and one is mandatory.

If you can't see the difference, well, look harder. :P

I would say that the problem is the fact that they want you to give them the authority to do this in order to play a game of theirs. My issue is that i feel as if they shouldn't be able to make those kinds of calls based on outside interactions between you and another...And as someone said earlier, i find it reasonable if its for the sake of preventing hacking or any form of exploitation, but other than that, i for one feel as if they are overstepping their bounds by a long shot.

I mean, i don't even play SOE games, I just hate to see someone having to voluntarily give up their freedoms on the internet in order to play one of their titles if they were so inclined.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Distopia

So, if I buy a new car, and i talk shyt about it in internet, the company can send an employee to MY house and steal MY car??

Of course, by some peoples logic. Why not? Apparently it's the companies right to do so.

Can you not see the difference between paying for a service and buying a physical product?  A service will have stipulations in place that can at times restrict your access or even revoke your access to those services. This is no different.

I purchased Everquest 1. I own the physical copy. Everquest 1 is free-to-play. I'm no longer paying for a service with SOE. I have an absolute right to play their game because I've purchased the product.

No, you have a right to keep your physical discs, you have no right to access their servers if you break the ToS

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

Originally posted by Distopia

I purchased Everquest 1. I own the physical copy. Everquest 1 is free-to-play. I'm no longer paying for a service with SOE. I have an absolute right to play their game because I've purchased the product.

In this case it's not a physical product, it's viewed as a service, a service with rules to follow. You realize every company practices this right? Legally....

Steam can ban you from every game you've purchased from them, simply for breaking their rules, there's nothing you can legally do about it.

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

The law is fluid.  One day something is illegal and the next day it isnt, or vice versa.  ToS and EULA are dismissed out of hand often.  A lot of these contracts violate state and federal laws.  Jailbreaking iphones and ipods are a great example of this.  In my opinion, SoE is really asking for trouble with this.  If you are going to ban people, you better log log log, to show that fair treatment is conducted.  Even if fair treatment is attainable(which is impossible), the laws change so often that one month you win this lawsuit and the next month you lose it and pay millions.

I have had two rental agreements throw out and those are much more solid contracts than a digital eula or tos.  Most landlords do not have access to the proper lawyers and its awful easy to violate state laws.  The first one tried to charge me for 4 months rent, since I terminated 4 months early.  I gave him documentation showing that I was recalled by the Navy.  This went on my credit history.  My landlord violated the law  and I paid for it for a couple years. In the end, he paid for it far more than I.  The second was that they tried to charge me early termination for 3 months when they already had the apartment rented out 3 weeks after I moved out.  I had already paid them for one month.  My state law says, you can not charge for rent more than once.  So that got thrown out fast.

The law is fluid.  Contracts must change as the laws change...

• RangeronesixRangeronesix Member Posts: 5

A couple points:  EULA's and shrink wrap licenses are generally enforceable, more so if there is some action needed to accept them prior to installation or use (like clicking 'I agree').  See ProCD v Zeidenberg.  

Also, you owe U.S. taxes regardless of whether you file a return.  If you owe, and don't file, you'll just owe more in penalties once the IRS catches up to you.

Originally posted by g0m0rrah

The law is fluid.  One day something is illegal and the next day it isnt, or vice versa.  ToS and EULA are dismissed out of hand often.  A lot of these contracts violate state and federal laws.  Jailbreaking iphones and ipods are a great example of this.  In my opinion, SoE is really asking for trouble with this.  If you are going to ban people, you better log log log, to show that fair treatment is conducted.  Even if fair treatment is attainable(which is impossible), the laws change so often that one month you win this lawsuit and the next month you lose it and pay millions.

I have had two rental agreements throw out and those are much more solid contracts than a digital eula or tos.  Most landlords do not have access to the proper lawyers and its awful easy to violate state laws.  The first one tried to charge me for 4 months rent, since I terminated 4 months early.  I gave him documentation showing that I was recalled by the Navy.  This went on my credit history.  My landlord violated the law  and I paid for it for a couple years. In the end, he paid for it far more than I.  The second was that they tried to charge me early termination for 3 months when they already had the apartment rented out 3 weeks after I moved out.  I had already paid them for one month.  My state law says, you can not charge for rent more than once.  So that got thrown out fast.

If I do not allow you to access the servers that I own, I am breaking no laws. A contract is agreed to by both parties when a ToS and EULA is accepted. If one party is in breach of the contained conditions, the other party is able to persue any action authorized.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

Ermm, there are people in the United States who refuse to pay taxes because they don't sheepishly agree to the things that's they're indirectly paying for. 

Now people who pay taxes are sheep? ROFL.... Most people have no choice in paying taxes, it's taken directly from their paychecks, as well as with every purchase they make. Those who work contractually can get themselves into serious trouble for trying to falsify a tax return. I know you're young and don't have a whole lot of life experience behind you yet, but you really are showing you haven't an idea of what real life is like.

Originally posted by Tierless

Why do I see this becoming, talk positively about our games or we will ban you from life...

If you spoke negatively about my home, I wouldn't let you in either.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

Originally posted by Tygranir

If I do not allow you to access the servers that I own, I am breaking no laws. A contract is agreed to by both parties when a ToS and EULA is accepted. If one party is in breach of the contained conditions, the other party is able to persue any action authorized.

If you accept payment and deny me the promised services, you are breaking the contract.  It all comes down to why you accepted my money and didnt hold your end of the deal.  If I didnt something that you simply didnt like, thats going to be an awful tough case for SoE to win.

Cursing is a good example. If someone gets banned for cursing and SoE implements the ability to censor or uncensor text, then thats an almost outright acceptance of cursing.  Its software, if they did not want you to curse, they simply wouldnt give you the option to lift the censorship.  Its like AoC having nude models underneath the clothing, allowing you to remove the clothing, then banning you if you do.

When it comes to verbal abuse, its pretty easy to take " im going to find out where you live and murder your children" as harassment. If someone says " diaf ", for one thing, you have to know the acronym, and secondly, its pretty subjective.  Is diaf a threat?  If someone says "oh thats gay", and you get banned because that is offensive to the moderator that has a gay son.  How about religious or political speech.  Oh this guy on his twitter supports the KKK, I find this offensive so I am going to ban  him.

Banning for language inside the game or outside the game is very absurd when most game come with filters and blocking built in.  There are extremes where banning becomes necessary but the OP proposed a good question, where do you draw the line...

• cosliecoslie Member UncommonPosts: 6
    A company can refuse service, sure.  But once they take your money they have some obligations.  If you misbehave on their premises, real or virtual, sure they can boot you.  If they decide they don't like you for what you've done, or what they think you've done, somewhere else, they can still refuse to serve you, but not without a refund.
  • ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

If you accept payment and deny me the promised services, you are breaking the contract.  It all comes down to why you accepted my money and didnt hold your end of the deal.  If I didnt something that you simply didnt like, thats going to be an awful tough case for SoE to win.

Cursing is a good example. If someone gets banned for cursing and SoE implements the ability to censor or uncensor text, then thats an almost outright acceptance of cursing.  Its software, if they did not want you to curse, they simply wouldnt give you the option to lift the censorship.  Its like AoC having nude models underneath the clothing, allowing you to remove the clothing, then banning you if you do.

When it comes to verbal abuse, its pretty easy to take " im going to find out where you live and murder your children" as harassment. If someone says " diaf ", for one thing, you have to know the acronym, and secondly, its pretty subjective.  Is diaf a threat?  If someone says "oh thats gay", and you get banned because that is offensive to the moderator that has a gay son.  How about religious or political speech.  Oh this guy on his twitter supports the KKK, I find this offensive so I am going to ban  him.

Banning for language inside the game or outside the game is very absurd when most game come with filters and blocking built in.  There are extremes where banning becomes necessary but the OP proposed a good question, where do you draw the line...

what does diaf mean?

If you agreed to the Terms of Service saying you will not behave in a manner deemed inappropriate to SOE, then violated that agreement, they are in the right to terminate said service and nullify any payment received without refund.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link

See all perks Here

If you agreed to the Terms of Service saying you will not behave in a manner deemed inappropriate to SOE, then violated that agreement, they are in the right to terminate said service and nullify any payment received without refund.

" Sony has been getting widely slammed across the gaming and tech press for its bizarre and self-destructive lawsuit against George Hotz (Geohot), for jailbreaking the PS3 in order to re-enable a feature that Sony had long-advertised, but then deleted off of people's existing PS3s. The entire lawsuit made little sense, and Sony's quixotic attempt to continue to pursue it just got more and more bizarre, with the company even seeking and gaining access to the IP addresses of people visiting his website or watching the YouTube video he put up. "

Sony settled with the guy in this lawsuit and obviously they took thing way to far. 

" A German consumer rights organization is suing the company, claiming that the inability to resell downloadable games from their Steam service infringes on the rights of consumers."

Valve lost this lawsuit.  So you are wrong.  EULA and ToS are only legally binding if backed by law.  These are not small companies losing lawsuits...

• cosliecoslie Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by Lowcaian
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Lowcaian

I don't take those threats from some kid seriously and I think it's a generation thing. I am old, I know that the net is not real life. If I were to play amateur psychologist I'd say that to younger people the line between real life and the things you do online is blurred, to some so much that there is no line and that is why  they overreact the way they do, both as bullies and victims. They simply lack the ability to take a step back and see that It's just a box connected by wires that you can use to talk to others that you know nothing about and vice versa.

If a letter that concerns you arrived in your mail box in front of your house, would that be any different than an email in your inbox?

A telephone is also 'just a box connected by wires'.

And I really don't think the 'blame the victim' line helps your argument.

I really don't care about letters be they electronic or old fashioned paper unless I have a real reason to fear.

And yet your email address is set to private in your profile.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    To the guy who said Lawyers are readying up for this, no they're not.Even companies (again at least in USA) can fire you for what you post on social networking. What people tend not to realize is freedom of speech is at a government level, as in the government can't restrict what you can say. A business has every right to restrict what you say as a customer or an employee.

Partially true. If you are representing the company then they can dictate to a certain extent, what you do and say. However in your 'off' time they (your employer) can not. If you are fired for expressing your private opinions it will not hold up in court should you decide to pursue the matter. Free speech applies to all American with the exception of military personnel, that take an oath and sign a contract to waive certain rights.

OK that sorted.

Back to this, wow so you guys fully support SONY removing free speech from the internet so I suppose when the government (U.S. any way) decides to start taxing your e-mails, blogs, posts etc you are good with that as well? The internet, since it's inception, has been about free speech and sharing information, now you are saying it is ok to take that away as long as YOU think said person is being disruptive. How about when they disagree with you? I suppose you are ok with being hunted down and banned...right?

This is laughable if I decide to go vent frustration somewhere else on the net, because I don't feel like being banned from said companies boards, they can track me down and ban me anyway because I decided to express my opinion elsewhere?

Ok, cool lets take ti a step further and set up the international Internet Police force. So when you are accused of being a internet 'bully' they issue you a citation, and if you offend too many times they come to your house and arrest you. Yeah right how would we pay for it? By taxing your e-mails, VOIP calls, blog posts etc etc.

No I say. Block me from your boards b/c I am being a ass cool I get that, hunt me down because I decided to express my self in an unsavory manner ELSEWHERE? no that is big brother crap and should to be allowed.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

This discussion has been closed.