Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wait, they're expecting us to pay for this?

wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

What a surprise, NA servers are down. This of course is following maintenance occuring like every other day.  Wait, if the servers wont consistently stay up and they keep extending the sub date, does that make it an FTP?

Guess i shouldn't complain. At least with not being able to log on i don't have to contend with the out of control gold spammers.

Comments

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

You can b!tch all you want about it, but you still keep logging in.

Honestly, all these issues can just pile on, because the game is so damn good, that SE has me hooked no matter what happens.  All my friends feel the same.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by slicknslim88

Honestly, all these issues can just pile on, because the game is so damn good, that SE has me hooked no matter what happens.  All my friends feel the same.

+1

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

Interesting, because I can't stand the game. Its mostly because I can't stand how my character looks and I can't seem to get past it. Tried making different ones. Unless they add more features to character creation, I'm out! 

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Sawlstone

Interesting, because I can't stand the game. Its mostly because I can't stand how my character looks and I can't seem to get past it. Tried making different ones. Unless they add more features to character creation, I'm out! 

.....lol.

I never did understand these people.  Doesn't even play the game, but it must suck because he/she doesn't look cool.

Boy, is that a statement on society or what?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Alamareth

.....lol.

I never did understand these people.  Doesn't even play the game, but it must suck because he/she doesn't look cool.

The people who want the avatar that represents them to portray what their idea of their adventurer is? The people who want to play a role in a role playing game?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

The character creation is one of the best parts about this game....

Character animations are superb as well!  Given the cat race is way better animated than other races, but just because one race is better animated than the others doesn't mean that the other races are poorly animated.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

.....lol.

Wow this will be fun.

Yes I played the game. 1.0 and ARR. That is how I decided I didn't like the game. Can I ask you a question? When creating a character do you just hit random and then start on your journey? If you do then you are missing out on something HUGE. For me its the ability to create a character I will have for years hopefully. Someone that I can escape too and slay some dragons. I'm wrong for wanting this avatar to look cool? I'm pretty one of the most attractive features of mmo's is to having the ability to make YOUR avatar an individual amongst many. Am I not allowed to think a game is bad since the one they have I don't like? Hell yes its part of the package....I PAID FOR. 

[mod edit]

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

.....lol.

Wow this will be fun.

Yes I played the game. 1.0 and ARR. That is how I decided I didn't like the game. Can I ask you a question? When creating a character do you just hit random and then start on your journey? If you do then you are missing out on something HUGE. For me its the ability to create a character I will have for years hopefully. Someone that I can escape too and slay some dragons. I'm wrong for wanting this avatar to look cool? I'm pretty one of the most attractive features of mmo's is to having the ability to make YOUR avatar an individual amongst many. Am I not allowed to think a game is bad since the one they have I don't like? Hell yes its part of the package....I PAID FOR. 

[mod edit]

Of course I pick some options, but it's not like I'm going to care if I can't change my character's smile.  It doesn't matter to me at all, because ultimately - all I do is look at the character's backside.  If I wanted to really play a role, I'd actually roleplay.  In a MMO I want to play a game with others, how I look hardly matters at all.

I think you are silly to not play a game because of how your avatar looks.  However, you clearly played the game - information you conveniently left off your first post.  If you don't like the game after actually playing it, is on you.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

SE wants to release content updates every three months. So i am pretty sure in its current state once free time for pre order runs out there will be steep decline in population. It has been proven time and time again and even according to Blizzard only 10% of their entire player base ever took interest in end game raiding.

And that is all there is in FFXIV if you are not into crafting. Raid or die. Majority of players just don't care for raiding and that is why P2P MMOS lose so many subs once free time is over.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Wow this will be fun.

[mod edit]

I wouldn't have put it quite so harshly, but I agree. I've spent hours creating a character before, started the game, then wished I could go back and tweak a few more things.

I don't agree with this specific instance of it, but overall I see where you're coming from. I felt the same way about Rift; no matter what I did my character was either one step away from cracking every mirror into a thousand pieces, or just blended into the generic sea of faces present in every city. The animations being so awful didn't help either (worse than even EQ2, IMO). I played for a while, but my dissatisfaction with how my character looked & moved nagged at the back of my mind the whole time.

For me, FFXIV was like watching Hellsing Ultimate after suffering through Garzey's Wing. The characters looked good and fit the setting, and the animations are absolutely wonderfully done.

To each their own though. Hope you can finally create a character you're happy with.

Edit: There. Had to manually quote the post for some reason.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Because no other game has ever had an emergency maintenance ever. Amirite?

All die, so die well.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

.....lol.

Wow this will be fun.

[mod edit]

Yep, pretty much this.  I hit random a few times until I get a character that looks "pretty good", then perhaps mess with the sliders a bit in case I want them a shorter, thinner but overall I'd say the entire process never exceeds 10 minutes tops in any game.

Now, if you were rolling for better stats like older titles such as Lineage 1 let you do I would sometimes spend days trying to get the perfect blend of stats for my character.

So for me, it's substance before style, gameplay before graphics and at the end of the day, i really don't care what my avatar much looks like (heck you spend 90% of the time looking at his backside) and I always said I'd equip him in only a diaper if it delivered the best stats in the game.

I can't comprehend what your motivations are, but accept you and others have these sorts of preferences (like for housing and other fluff) while I and others prefer to focus more on the substance behind the game.

Different strokes for different folks.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SylviiSylvii Member Posts: 13
    Don't forget the option to make the boobs bigger!
  • BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

What a surprise, NA servers are down. This of course is following maintenance occuring like every other day.  Wait, if the servers wont consistently stay up and they keep extending the sub date, does that make it an FTP?

Guess i shouldn't complain. At least with not being able to log on i don't have to contend with the out of control gold spammers.

Plenty of F2P games out there with cash shops just waiting for your dollars to make them playable at end game.  What are you waiting for?

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

.....lol.

I agree, These kids never got to play such things as Zelda or Final Fantasy 7. Story, Game play > Character Armor, Cosmetics 

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

This for me as well.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

This. The game rocks. Whatever they have to do is cool with me.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I can't see what the problem is with the character customisation is. In fact it is the best I have encountered in a long time. Plis the animation is good and fit into the game. The character designs are almost flawless. I love the game.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Um yeah pretty much all my gaming buddies are digging this game. Who knows how long any of em will last, but the consensus is that its a quality ff game.

Personally, I have a new mmo to hang my hat.

• Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38

Yes you are in fact paying them to continually update the game.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

Loving the game. Don't mind the downtime. Even expecting a steady maintenance schedule. I haven't had a problem in weeks with logging in. Maybe my experience is much different from yours, but other than the first week problems.. I haven't really had any at all. The only thing I can agree with the OP is that the gold spammers are really annoying. That being said, I have no doubt that it will be resolved soon. 

Finally a game worth waiting for.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Ikisis

.....lol.

I agree, These kids never got to play such things as Zelda or Final Fantasy 7. Story, Game play > Character Armor, Cosmetics 

I grew up on the Atari 2600, Genesis and the NES.  That doesn't mean I can't appreciate different aspects other than "gameplay", connection to a character is a huge trait in RPG games, especially those based entirely on "gameplay" which date back much longer than Zelda or FF7, P&P RPGs.

It's 2013 not 1986. In 1986 they couldn't exactly offer great character customization...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson