Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stuck in MMO limbo

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I hate to say this but I'm lost here. it's really difficult to choose what MMO game to play these days. I had been a long time WoW player before Cataclysm and now I don't want to play the game anymore. Most people are super jerks and I was very unfortunate of being hacked and lost everything I had before. By losing the nostalgia that Cataclysm removed WoW once had, WoW is now an out-dated mess and it seems bizarre that 7 million subscribed players still play it.

I have had my goes on other MMO's, none I can really call home.

The Lord of the Rings Online - Game design doesn't match the epic feel of the Peter Jackson films, story quests were extremely difficult.

Dungeons & Dragon's Online - Character customization is too complex.

Aion - Too much "Asian-ness"

Age of Conan - Broken mechanics

Star Wars The Old Republic - Would have been my favourite if only Biochem wasn't the only useful crafting skill at end game, plus it's run by EA which also isn't great...

The thing is I don't want to play something that's overly complex like EVE Online, over-rated like Guild Wars 2, don't want anything that's unpopular or anything that's a cheap free to play like Runes of Magic. I just want to play a good game that I can like and doesn't suck in some way. :(

Comments

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I have taken a long break from mmos and there aren't any good ones out there. WoW is still the best option until eqnext And teso. I'm thinking of going back to WoW and starting fresh
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Give FF:ARR a shot, Amazing game!
  • XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I find myself in the same boat about every year or so.  I feel like I get into a particular game, invest a decent amount of time into it only to find myself bored or kinda burned out after a few months.

To combat this, I have basically started rotating a few MMO's and try to enjoy the strengths that each has.

For hanging with friends and a certain level of nostalgia I play WoW.

I play a bit of Rift (F2P) for the housing and Rift Hunts / dynamic content

For PvP, I tend to play GW2 (B2P), mostly WvW

And for some additional PvP, more of the arena style, I play Smite (F2P).

I get all of this enjoyment for the price of one sub.   I think the days of losing yourself in a single game are long gone, so these days it's more about finding a combo of games to satisfy your gaming needs.  

haha. yup. big seamless fantasy world and the game runs soo smooth. my toons are on ED too. rppvp servers are the best .
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Foreverdream
    Give FF:ARR a shot, Amazing game!

I have and I do enjoy it. But what keeps me from being able to fully commit to it is all the damn loading screens.

Immersion is a big deal for me

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit, you are just like me. I hated swtor for that same reason. And good thing you mentioned it for ff. Was thinking of trying it but looked to Asianish for gfx
  • Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86

Try Rift.

That's what I'm doing at the moment. It's not totally awesome, but it fill my mmo needs and is free. Am I hooked in for the long haul? nope, but it is giving me something to do until something good comes out.

Rift is a solid game. But I love the many options that WoW offers for races and classes.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

It's tough coming up with an untaken name these days. Slashimi is the best I could come up with, rolled warrior Horde side. Wholly shit talk about join a guild spam lol.

I joined one just to stop the spamming, at least the guy asked me in person or character should I say lol.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RogueTroopaRogueTroopa Member Posts: 147

Me too. WoW veteran and nothing out there floats my boat. 

Tried all the hype turkeys- Aion, Tera, SWTOR, FFARR, Rift and they all failed to deliver. Simply mediocre and boring.

Currently playing World of Tanks and Warthunder which aren't MMOs but good sociable fun till DayZ Standalone comes out. 

Land of AKA Godzilla with Wifey

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    So everyone just either goes back to WoW or play non-MMO games. :p
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    FYI, the story quests in LOTRO can be soloed now.

My computer is better than yours.