Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Death Comes to WAR

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

someone go open a petition at change.org to save the game with f2p option model. There is still time to fix the game and the death sentence but the model needs to change.

i wish someone did that. I would go and vote yes.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    It had potential to be my only mmo for a long time but EA and Mythic had no clue how to take care of this game properly.
  • HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

Really is too bad

In a cosmic sense, that is.  It comes as no surprise.

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Not surprised over-all. But why didn't EA just make it a Free-to-Play MMOPRG? I know of a number of people that said they'd start playing it again if it went F2P.
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

EA wrote the game off after X amount of time, with X debatable from 1-3 years.  They signed a 5-year contract with GW and had no intention of renewing it, so it was the Walking Dead the moment that decision was made. 

GW has its own worries, and they got $$$ for doing essentially nothing, so they had no reason to breach the contract either.  I doubt GW was interested in renewing the contract, given the failure of the game and their impending buyout, so WAR was doomed from that end as well.

Take notes, TOR fans - this could happen with your game if Disney doesn't want to renew that contract.

• bbates024bbates024 Member UncommonPosts: 99

It's to bad they wasted there effort trying to make a second game instead of making the game f2p, and just getting drove of pvpers killing each other. 

Next on the list SWTOR!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    To all of you who claim that games like Rift, Tera, The Secret World, and Star Wars the Old Republic are failures, this is what a true failure is. A game doesnt become a failure till the developer shuts it down and stops producing updates for it.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• g0m0rrahg0m0rrah Member UncommonPosts: 325

I had more fun in t1 pvp than any other part of the game. If they could have just cloned t1 pvp and kept that going I would have probably never left even though the game engine was a bit flaky.  I only had 1 problem with its game play and thats how every class had access to an instant cast spammable ranged ability.

Seeing random melee's running around throwing endless numbers of axes was very awkward to say the least.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by Conley
    Warhammer was really a game that could have used "A Realm Reborn"  style make over. 

Totally agree with  you!

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Lotta rose colored glasses in these comments.
  • DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I betad for 6 months, they promised so much...SO MUCH!  Yet...they started cutting..and cutting,..and watering down..until at release..it was mediocre at best.

The creating too many servers did it in.  Hell, on my server we had a hard time even populating more than 1 RvR lake.

What killed it for me?  A longtime loyal customer, server mergers...I went to transfer my character, my name was taken by a lvl 11 character.  I petitioned and they refused to let me have my name.

I played for a couple weeks, but no one recognized me anymore, it just wasn't the same.

R.I.P. "Clergy Man", best healer ever, always topped any healing chart, beat out anyone anytime anywhere, I made music with that dude.  (Yes Warrior Priests were OP but I also had a Shaman that would outheal anyone too.)

Good game, but they made too many cuts, didn't finish main cities, had "too much" content per say and not enough people.  Oh well.

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    this was supposed to be the WoW killer

gameplay > graphics

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by bbates024

It's to bad they wasted there effort trying to make a second game instead of making the game f2p, and just getting drove of pvpers killing each other. 

Next on the list SWTOR!

Except SWTOR is getting the exact opposite treatment from EA. Whenever I think about WAR, I always think about how SWTOR is being treated the way WAR should have been. EA quickly responded to the situation and relaunched F2P within the first year, updates the game fairly frequently, and even released a pretty awesome digital expansion. On top of this, EA has been making a renewed marketing push recently to coincide with the new PvP features coming in 2.4. Heck, we've got a SWTOR event starting here in 45 minutes.

Will it ultimately work to keep SWTOR above water? I think so, but it's hard to say. The point is that they are trying and trying hard and that's good enough for me.

WAR was just abandoned way too quickly and without nearly as much effort to course correct.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

I agree with some of the earlier comments, way to many rose tinted glasses.

I tried for over a year to love the game, but it launched as a badly patched up multi visioned lack of true direction mess, and to the utter amazement of those that stayed for a long period it managed to actually become more of a mess until you only really played for a PVP fix.

Beggers belief that while it was going through another upheaval and chopping of parts of the game, that yet again they just could not make work, (mostly in my belief that they had farmed out work to 2 interns) they launched the free till lvl 20 thing, well way to go Einstein's at speeding up the bad news about  yourself for free.

It would never of gone FTP because the earnings from whatever cash shop EA would of wielded onto the game would of reduced the games monthly earnings to like $12 dollars, becauses someones little sister wanted them to ride the pink fluffy Squig, and wouldn't shut the hell up until they bought it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Mishakai
    Maybe if gamers weren't so OMG critical of games at launch, stuff like this wouldn't happen.  Wanna blame someone for WARs demise, gamers have nobody to blame except themselves.

Someone else disagreed, but I've got to say that this guy has a point. Gamers are terribly critical about most MMOs and I think that is the demise of most MMOs - they compare MMOs at launch day to ones that have been running for 5+ years. 

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

zzzzzz

good riddance, maybe at some point devs/pubs will learn that propping up your game with a big IP will not in fact increase market share.  You actually have to make a marketable game for that.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Missed out on this game in it's peak, it's a shame to see any mmo die. RIP SWG and now WAR.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I followed this game with the original developer, and wasn't very interested in it.  When I heard Mythic had picked it up, I got pretty excited, as I was a long time DAOC player, and I knew what they were capable of.

When I started beta testing I had concerns...The PVP lakes weren't even going to be part of the game until the beta testers took up torches and pitchforks and made a LOT of noise.  The only PVP was going to be battleground scenarios originally.

I still don't understand how the kings of 3 faction, open world pvp with massive castle sieges, relic raids, competetive pvp dungeons...and also the individual pve realms with dragon raids, and some pretty damn good content could end up with a product like this.  I understood that they didn't want to make "DAOC 2"...but they pretty much ignored everything that made them successful and released a shell of a game.

It was still fun, but the pvp was never going to be great with the fast travel, small pvp area's and only two factions. Honestly, the biggest draw of the game was all the stuff they left out or threw in as an afterthought. Very dissapointing, it should have been a great game, if only they weren't scared to make it.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    image Needed 3 factions....

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

About the three factions thing...

That is something i am 99% sure is GW´s fault. Their entire brand is built on the conflict between order and chaos over the last 10 years in both WHFB and WH40K. So i am pretty sure they were pretty firm on that the game should have that.

But in many ways i guess WAR is the reason EA managed the SW:ToR crisis as well as they did. WAR had showed them how things would turn out if they did not.

As for going F2P, five years ago it was still risky to go F2P and it was largely shunned by the community, so in essence "we" forced their hand on the subject. Especially as WAR would have had to goF2P within a year for it to maintain the momentum.

This have been a good conversation

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677
    R.I.P Warhammer, it was a fun game when I played. I started playing when it first came out and the servers were packed. Had alot of good times with friends. Glad to have gotten the chance to play it.
  • abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143
    Atrocious crafting, lacking endgame and pve content. People won't pay a monthly sub for mediocre deathmatch pvp.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by bbates024

Next on the list SWTOR!

this