Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst Tank Experience

2»

Comments

• cenen7cenen7 Member UncommonPosts: 55

Though i agree with the OP's thoughts about bad tanks...

It seems like everyone's already a pro at this game... isn't it new?  I just started a few days ago and Leveling is going slow.  I saw warning posts about it being a quick grind.   I'm amazed how fast people level up

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Grailer

I play a warrior tank . I also have a white mage healer same character .

What I hate most

1. DPS who think they are tanks and run forward pulling agro in which I have to clean up their mess.

2. DPS who pick the bottom of the list and attack those ones first .

3. DPS who still pick the bottom of the list when I put the number 1  on mob.

4. DPS who break sleep because they are attacking the wrong mob.   

5. Healers who sleep the mob being hit by the bad DPS 5 times in a row and I die because no heal.

6. Healers who die because they are busy sleeping the same mob over and over that the bad DPS is hitting over and over and don't see the red circle under them which ironically kills them causing everyone to die.

7. Healers who sleep mobs that are immune to sleep but keep trying anyways , until tank dies from no heal.

8. Bards / Healers who put regen on tank just as they pull and the mobs run right passed the tank to bard or healer causing messy pull.

9. DPS who think using stun is waste of time because it lowers their dps and that red circle they are standing under is the healers problem not theirs.

10. 15 mins , the time it takes for me to get a new group after I leave the fail group. On the plus side I get my armor crafting done in that time so all good I guess.

HAHAHAHAHAAHA, I like this list.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by shirlnt

***snip for length***

People need to be nice to tanks and healers because they are rare in this game and they are what keeps the party alive BUT I'm playing the game to have fun and I don't need to put up with attitude from ANYONE. So....currently I'm waiting patiently for the next group and hoping it is as good as most of the PUG experiences I've had in this game so far.

Welcome to ever trinity, gear-based MMO ever made.

Sadly there is only 1 real 'solution' to this problem, as it is a biproduct of the game design. And that's to find / join a free company (guild, linkshell, etc.) that you can premade the game with.

In these types of games tanks & healers are ALWAYS in demand. They know this, and as such can get away with being complete dicks for the most part, because they know they can always find someone willing to put up with their crap just to finish the content. Even if that person is not you.

It's impossible to have a trinity game, without having certain roles (tanks & healers) that are always in demand. Even games with multi-speccing have this problem, as it then forces people who want to play dps into playing 'healer' or 'tank' for the sake of the rest of the group.

It's an unfortunate nature of these types of games that you either have to learn to live with, or be open enough to try something different.

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85
    To tell someone they need to be nice to you because it makes the experience better is YOUR opinion. There are people who enjoy going fast and being mean not saying its right but that's what they like and how they enjoy playing there game. I am glad u had the blalls to leave and requeue to prove a point but in the end I promise u he doesn't care and he will move on because dungeon Queue games will always promote that type of behavior. Until the game forces you to play nice or possibly lose the ability to group with people on your server and lose out on content brace your self for this all the time.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by psychobgr
    I play as a tank and if someone keeps taking agro I inform them about the little agro meter that appears under their class sign and tell them that if this white bar fills up they take agro from that mob this usually gives them an idea about their agro and so far its been good.

yeah that is handy , also the list of monsters is some polygons , one which is a square which is red ,   and so happens it means you have agro .

When you see all green circles next to them you are doing your job well as healer or DPS .

As a warrior I always use overpower which is AOE attack a few times on pull ,  but healers are too quick on the sleep and I break it and they complain .  Ok but if I don't hit the mobs they are green / asleep and most healers Ive played with are too dumb to know when sleep is going to run out and end up getting beat up because they didn't resleep the mob.

DPS take longer than 30 seconds to kill a mob ,, yeah a joke but I don't have DPS meter yet which makes it hard to quit groups because of bad dps .

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Originally posted by cenen7

Though i agree with the OP's thoughts about bad tanks...

It seems like everyone's already a pro at this game... isn't it new?  I just started a few days ago and Leveling is going slow.  I saw warning posts about it being a quick grind.   I'm amazed how fast people level up

Funny thing is this game hasn't seemed new since it started.  I started in Beta 4 but people were already familiar with the dungeons by my first run through the lower ones (guess people who had been in beta longer).  While it makes it easier to run the dungeons when someone in the group already knows the way, it felt odd as the game hadn't even hit release date yet.  People were allowed to get classes to level 20 in beta 4 and those toons carried over to game.  I only got to around level 10 or 11, partly due to not being able to log in for a day because of a bug.  In less than a week from early release, I was already seeing players saying in shout that they were at the end of the storyline.  Some players ate through content in a hurry.  I'm seeing more and more of the mount players get upon completing the storyline (the big black mechanical thing with wings).  Now people are grinding FATEs to max out other classes.  I also see people advertising for crafting jobs that have several crafting classes at 50.  I was actually happily surprised at how quickly I was able to get in the first three dungeons on my second toon.  Either new people are joining the game, lots of people are creating alts, or more people are taking the game slower than all the FATE group spamming and high level toons would lead me to believe.

Originally posted by shirlnt
     Either new people are joining the game, lots of people are creating alts, or more people are taking the game slower than all the FATE group spamming and high level toons would lead me to believe.

I've levelled up mainly doing storyline and sideline quests .  And farming dungeons . Rarely do I do FATES unless I obtained all the gear I want from that dungeon.

I know FATES are fastest way to level but I feel that by doing ALOT of dungeons I've mastered grouping due to my extensive experience at it .  Probably done 100 times more dungeons than any DPS has . When people get me as their tank , they have the best of the best.

• cenen7cenen7 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    i'm taking the game slow.  Its partly due to the fact that killing monsters with a CNJ is simply 2 spells over and over.   I log out a lot .
  • KryptyKrypty Member UncommonPosts: 454

My favorite was a time when I had 2 DPS that went nuts on me for not saving them. What killed them? An AoE that the boss casts that insta-kills if you don't hide behind the statues.

When you go into Duty Finder, you just have to accept you may run into ignorant fools. That said, most of the time, I meet great people that I wish I could play with again.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Furic
    Originally posted by tort0429
    Originally posted by Furic
    Originally posted by tort0429

I disagree with your last paragraph.  People don't need to be nice to Tanks or Healers (I play both) but rather people need to be nice period in general!!!  It's a game first of all and second, courtesy and kindness to others should exist regardless of the class, or dungeon, or level or what ever!

I was in a group in a dungeon when this new player to MMO's, a DPS class, started to pull everything in sight.   The healer said, I'm not doing this run if that DPS doesn't stop pulling.  I thought, wow, easy pal, it's just a game.  How about we just explain to him the mechanics, he may be knew and may not know.

Sure enough, after explaining it to him, NICELY, he was grateful and we did the dungeon no problem.  And had fun (imagine that, fun).

It's really sad that I'm reading all these posts about bad players, bad groups, bad pugs but more so the players who complain about it.  Really?  Complaining about it???   I can't help wondering if these issues are caused not by the inexperienced MMO player, but rather by the so called pro player who is too high on his own ego.  Maybe come down a bit and try to help others and be friendly and have fun.   Must be a real difficult concept, I guess.

I don't think it is fair for you to say that....

tank/healer takes the blame for pretty much everything. "tank didn't last long enough" "tank didn't kept agro" "healer can't heal fast enough"..... when's the last time anyone gets to complain "why can't you DPS kill the monster fast enough?" 

Tank and Healer needs to be expert at their jobs while DPS can't even hit targets in order at lvl 40?

DPS is the easiest class to become ignorant because they have no idea what tank and healer need to go through to keep the party alive.

I think you missed my point.  I'm not stating one class is harder or easier or more important then another.  For some taking is easier to master, for others healng is.  Some can't tank, some can't heal.   The point I was making is that regardless of the class ALL players should respect each other's roles and have patience and have fun.   You sound like one of those players that want to be on a King's throne and recognized as a better player  just because you are a tank.   That's silly.  Every role and every class contribute to a successful group or dungeon run.   The quicker you learn that, the more fun you will have.   

you completely missed my point too. my point being exactly tank/healer ARE in general, harder to pay well than DPS. That's why DPS often have a hard time understandng why tank/healer are frustrated or aren't perfect.

Who said I am only a tank? I have BRD / SCH / PLD leveled so I know how each roles works in the PT. Not sure why you need to act like a stereotype when I am just speaking from personal experience having gone through DPS / Healer / tank in FF14.

I spent 80 mins talking a group of players that came from the same FC through sunken temple without even finishing the dungeon. I died over 10 times from final sting as PLD during the first boss. Not a word of complain. We were just having fun dying allover the places try to clear what they called "the final boss" which is basically the first mini boss. lol

Ok maybe I did miss your point, my apologies.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

It doesn't matter what Class they are, a douchebag is a douchebag....don't play with douchebags.

This is my main concern with the Duty Finer. It creates a blanket of anonymity. Back in FFXI, you could only play with people on your server...if you were an asshat, pretty soon everyone know your name and you couldn't get into any parties.

Here, odds are, i will never see the person i am playing with again, unless i was in a party with them before we started teh duty finder...so why would they care about being a moron...

This is related to what I see as the one positive thing about open-world PVP...the one thing. People run there mouth a lot less often when they can get clobbered for it.

*(Consequences, Can I have it?)"

Consequences are underrated. Imagine what the world would be like without any Laws or Jails.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Tanks and healers really do have to pick up the slack for bad dps.

I'm tanking in dungeons and I mark each target if possible and expect the DPS to follow the kill order.  If they don't I will tell them to because it makes my job a lot easier.

Threat management in early levels is very tough.  My aoe threat was practically non-existent except for hitting flash every 15-20 seconds (and initiating pulls with shield lob on the first target and then a quick flash onto all the other mobs).

If everybody follows the kill order and lets me to my job (i.e not attacking shit that your not suppose to) the run will go faster, go smoother, and no fatalities will occur.  The boss mechanics are so hilarious easy in this game, its like MMO-lite.

Originally posted by TheHavok

Tanks and healers really do have to pick up the slack for bad dps.

I'm tanking in dungeons and I mark each target if possible and expect the DPS to follow the kill order.  If they don't I will tell them to because it makes my job a lot easier.

Threat management in early levels is very tough.  My aoe threat was practically non-existent except for hitting flash every 15-20 seconds (and initiating pulls with shield lob on the first target and then a quick flash onto all the other mobs).

If everybody follows the kill order and lets me to my job (i.e not attacking shit that your not suppose to) the run will go faster, go smoother, and no fatalities will occur.  The boss mechanics are so hilarious easy in this game, its like MMO-lite.

Warrior has no taunt button so getting agro from DPS is a lot harder than maintaining agro from the get go .

If DPS are ignorant and keep hitting a target that is attacking them then it is mission impossible trying to get it off them sometimes , however using berserk seems to work due to high dmg output .