Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst Tank Experience

shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Let me start by saying I'm on my second toon in this game and both are dps.  The first is at Titan.  The second I started with a desire to see the storyline from a different starting location.  The second is at Tam.  After waiting the usual amount of time dps wait to enter dungeons (plus more for temporarily grouping with someone who decide he was tired of waiitng), I get into a dungeon group via duty finder.  Right away the tank starts griping at a player for not following his numbers and says he won't pull aggro off them.  I understand as a dps that sometimes my tab to target doesn't follow the numbers and it is easy to accidently attack the wrong thing.  People make mistakes and sometimes game lag and other problems don't help.  The tank and this other person are arguing as we go and I'm thinking this is going to be a miserable dungeon experience or someone is going to leave. (the issue of "end game" came up when this is ONLY the second dungeon in the game at level 16) While we are looking at the first loot chest, the tank runs on and gets the next group.  His health is getting low and since I picked up skills from other magic classes, I start healing him as my THM.  The healer worns the tank that he wasn't ready.  The tank lets it be known that he can get in dungeon right away and we can enjoy our 1 hour wait if we can't follow his directions.  I was the first to leave letting it be known that I'd rather wait another hour than deal with that attitude, and letting it be known he was the worst tank I'd had in the game.

People need to be nice to tanks and healers because they are rare in this game and they are what keeps the party alive BUT I'm playing the game to have fun and I don't need to put up with attitude from ANYONE. So....currently I'm waiting patiently for the next group and hoping it is as good as most of the PUG experiences I've had in this game so far.

Comments

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

I disagree with your last paragraph.  People don't need to be nice to Tanks or Healers (I play both) but rather people need to be nice period in general!!!  It's a game first of all and second, courtesy and kindness to others should exist regardless of the class, or dungeon, or level or what ever!

I was in a group in a dungeon when this new player to MMO's, a DPS class, started to pull everything in sight.   The healer said, I'm not doing this run if that DPS doesn't stop pulling.  I thought, wow, easy pal, it's just a game.  How about we just explain to him the mechanics, he may be knew and may not know.

Sure enough, after explaining it to him, NICELY, he was grateful and we did the dungeon no problem.  And had fun (imagine that, fun).

It's really sad that I'm reading all these posts about bad players, bad groups, bad pugs but more so the players who complain about it.  Really?  Complaining about it???   I can't help wondering if these issues are caused not by the inexperienced MMO player, but rather by the so called pro player who is too high on his own ego.  Maybe come down a bit and try to help others and be friendly and have fun.   Must be a real difficult concept, I guess.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by tort0429
    I disagree with your last paragraph.  People don't need to be nice to Tanks or Healers (I play both) but rather people need to be nice period in general!!!  It's a game first of all and second, courtesy and kindness to others should exist regardless of the class, or dungeon, or level or what ever!I was in a group in a dungeon when this new player to MMO's, a DPS class, started to pull everything in sight.   The healer said, I'm not doing this run if that DPS doesn't stop pulling.  I thought, wow, easy pal, it's just a game.  How about we just explain to him the mechanics, he may be knew and may not know.Sure enough, after explaining it to him, NICELY, he was grateful and we did the dungeon no problem.  And had fun (imagine that, fun).It's really sad that I'm reading all these posts about bad players, bad groups, bad pugs but more so the players who complain about it.  Really?  Complaining about it???   I can't help wondering if these issues are caused not by the inexperienced MMO player, but rather by the so called pro player who is too high on his own ego.  Maybe come down a bit and try to help others and be friendly and have fun.   Must be a real difficult concept, I guess.  
    Now that is an ironic post hehe. But yeah I get what you're saying and I think mmos are largely enjoyable because of the people.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    This is common in every game. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I disagree with your last paragraph.  People don't need to be nice to Tanks or Healers (I play both) but rather people need to be nice period in general!!!  It's a game first of all and second, courtesy and kindness to others should exist regardless of the class, or dungeon, or level or what ever!

I was in a group in a dungeon when this new player to MMO's, a DPS class, started to pull everything in sight.   The healer said, I'm not doing this run if that DPS doesn't stop pulling.  I thought, wow, easy pal, it's just a game.  How about we just explain to him the mechanics, he may be knew and may not know.

Sure enough, after explaining it to him, NICELY, he was grateful and we did the dungeon no problem.  And had fun (imagine that, fun).

It's really sad that I'm reading all these posts about bad players, bad groups, bad pugs but more so the players who complain about it.  Really?  Complaining about it???   I can't help wondering if these issues are caused not by the inexperienced MMO player, but rather by the so called pro player who is too high on his own ego.  Maybe come down a bit and try to help others and be friendly and have fun.   Must be a real difficult concept, I guess.

Now that is an ironic post hehe. But yeah I get what you're saying and I think mmos are largely enjoyable because of the people.

The representative from planet Bungle has the floor.

Joined - July 2004

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Update: Just finished the dnugeon and it was a good group.  Got the ding right after I finished last post so it wasn't even an hour.  Tank let us know right away it was his first run so another player helped him through the process and no one displayed a negative attitude.  We all worked together and made it through the dungeon with no problems.
    Originally posted by shirlnt
    Update: Just finished the dnugeon and it was a good group.  Got the ding right after I finished last post so it wasn't even an hour.  Tank let us know right away it was his first run so another player helped him through the process and no one displayed a negative attitude.  We all worked together and made it through the dungeon with no problems.

Awesome, thanks for sharing and ...

I rest my case.

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Thank you for that post. image

Welcome.  imageimage
  • Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38

Yup its just a game and the goal is to have fun.  You can spot the people who take the game too seriously and don't have fun pretty quick...

Some cant have fun unless the run goes 100% smooth and easy.

It would serve you and your run well if you would take the simple step of watching the dungeon guide on youtube prior to running.

Unless your in voice comms with the group and they can explain mechanics to you...things can be really difficult to grasp walking in blind, and explaining some things in text can be difficult to do.

Really to avoid most issues, simply watching the youtube guide on the instance will save you a LOT of issues, frustration, and negative attention.

Also people forget that a lot of endgame mechanics are suppose to be hard...its not meant to be easy.  People are going to mess up its by design.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The aggro meter in this game is pretty nice once you find it.

That doesn't always help, and it doesn't excuse a poor player (be they tank, dps, or healer), but it goes a long way to helping.

• FuricFuric Member Posts: 7

I don't think it is fair for you to say that....

tank/healer takes the blame for pretty much everything. "tank didn't last long enough" "tank didn't kept agro" "healer can't heal fast enough"..... when's the last time anyone gets to complain "why can't you DPS kill the monster fast enough?" 

Tank and Healer needs to be expert at their jobs while DPS can't even hit targets in order at lvl 40?

DPS is the easiest class to become ignorant because they have no idea what tank and healer need to go through to keep the party alive.

Gotta remember too that some folks are on PS3s. Tanks and healers in this case don't communicate very well unless they have a keyboard. Just something to think about if it comes down to it. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Furic

tank/healer takes the blame for pretty much everything. "tank didn't last long enough" "tank didn't kept agro" "healer can't heal fast enough"..... when's the last time anyone gets to complain "why can't you DPS kill the monster fast enough?" 

Tank and Healer needs to be expert at their jobs while DPS can't even hit targets in order at lvl 40?

DPS is the easiest class to become ignorant because they have no idea what tank and healer need to go through to keep the party alive.

I think you missed my point.  I'm not stating one class is harder or easier or more important then another.  For some taking is easier to master, for others healng is.  Some can't tank, some can't heal.   The point I was making is that regardless of the class ALL players should respect each other's roles and have patience and have fun.   You sound like one of those players that want to be on a King's throne and recognized as a better player  just because you are a tank.   That's silly.  Every role and every class contribute to a successful group or dungeon run.   The quicker you learn that, the more fun you will have.   

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

heh you hear that all the time on dps race bosses or mobs.  bees that do final sting. dps didnt do their job. the wall boss, if it gets to the end the blame is on the dps for not dpsing fast enough.  many senarios where dps are to blame. usually when there are adds and those take a priority. not delt with its the dps fault. its quite common to hear that in ff14

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

The fun of duty finder.  Back in the day when you had to find your own groups you made actual friendships.  If someone was a really great tank or healer you added them to your list and ran more dungeons with them.  Now people get bossy in general.  

I have a 34 CNJ / WHM and 26 ARC.  I wanted a bard first but because of the long waits I decided to work on my WHM.  Most of the time I have patience for groups, but I'm finding a lot of people seem to be making tanks just to get groups.  Some don't even try to pick up adds and others try but don't succeed.  

I have had a couple moments myself of utter frustration and left a group.  Once early on in my cnj career.  I was in the 2nd or 3rd dungeon.  Tank wouldn't grab adds, DPS wouldn't focus the same target as the tank.  Either way the DPS were tanking the adds or I was tanking them every single pull.  After our 2nd or 3rd wipe to trash in an easy dungeon I left.  I apologized to them, but advised I was going to search for a more coordinated group.  I also left a guildleve where the tank wouldn't grab any of the adds.  The DPS wouldn't focus the bubbles spawning adds.  So I had at least 10 slimes on me as a healer. 

I finally decided to work on getting a GLA to at least 22, then debating on rolling up a MRD.  I honestly don't like tanking.  I'd much prefer healing or DPS.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I play as a tank and if someone keeps taking agro I inform them about the little agro meter that appears under their class sign and tell them that if this white bar fills up they take agro from that mob this usually gives them an idea about their agro and so far its been good.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by shirlnt

Right away the tank starts griping at a player for not following his numbers and says he won't pull aggro off them.  I understand as a dps that sometimes my tab to target doesn't follow the numbers and it is easy to accidently attack the wrong thing.  People make mistakes and sometimes game lag and other problems don't help.  The tank and this other person are arguing as we go and I'm thinking this is going to be a miserable dungeon experience or someone is going to leave. (the issue of "end game" came up when this is ONLY the second dungeon in the game at level 16) While we are looking at the first loot chest, the tank runs on and gets the next group.  His health is getting low and since I picked up skills from other magic classes, I start healing him as my THM.  The healer worns the tank that he wasn't ready.  The tank lets it be known that he can get in dungeon right away and we can enjoy our 1 hour wait if we can't follow his directions. 

Damn, what an ass that tank. I'm glad I didn't have one of those (yet). It also shows why as arcanist I always use my yellow carbuncle in dungeons. It's a tanking pet and I use it to help the main tank (player) to remove aggro of the healer who's always getting enough aggro as well as the other players.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

The problem a lot are having in dungeons and such is they come from games where the tank can keep agro for 5 hours with just 1 ability cast.  FFXIV is the first game in quite awhile where tanking is a very hard job.  In almost every situation DPS should always be attacking the same target as tank.  Warrior is a little easier when it comes to aoe tanking, and you can probably get away with shooting something the tank isn't attacking for a bit longer than a Paladin.  Paladin pretty much just has Flash, which uses up MP, for aoe taunting, and that's it.  If you get a big hit on a non-tank target, you will draw agro pretty much 99% of the time.  Best bet for everyone involved is to just attack what the tank says to attack.  As a tank, I have a macro I used to mark and /party chat which target everyone should be attacking, even if it's a target I'm not attacking, I can easily switch to the target, mark/call it, and get back to my target in under a second.  I don't know about other tanks, but I find myself having to pretty much run the show (which is how things were old school days).

It's true that the community in MMOs as a whole can be pretty vile, but FFXIV has one of the better communities.  I rarely get angry at anyone for attacking the wrong target, since I can usually keep two targets on me without having any problems no matter how hard others hit them.  It's when you have a boss or a fight where it has to be done one way, and really one way only, but people don't listen that makes me mad.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Maybe I'm too zen about things these days or something, but this all seems like a perfectly good roleplaying experience to me.

A guy joins a group of strangers to go into a dungeon and realizes almost immediately, through his own inexperience as well as the inexperience of his group, that he has made a mistake.  The tank is an egotistical warrior who rams into everything head first and expects the rest of the team to operate like the well oiled machine that he is accustomed to, one of the dps'ers is acting in a similar fashion, only he isn't taking the consequences of his actions, nor his decided lack of armor protection, when doing so.  The healer, of course, is not having any of it, and the other dps must use whatever piddly heal spells he or she can muster, instead of dps'ing, in order to keep the group alive.

An argument ensues and the entire group parts company not the best of friends. Everyone goes their own way thinking that they were right.  And they all go off to expose the rest of the world to their own unique brand of shenanigans.

......and scene!

Could not have written that any better if I had made it up myself.  And just think, if all had went all peachy keen like you had wished it would have, you wouldn't have had ANY story to come here and tell us.

Embrace Conflict.

• FuricFuric Member Posts: 7

I think you missed my point.  I'm not stating one class is harder or easier or more important then another.  For some taking is easier to master, for others healng is.  Some can't tank, some can't heal.   The point I was making is that regardless of the class ALL players should respect each other's roles and have patience and have fun.   You sound like one of those players that want to be on a King's throne and recognized as a better player  just because you are a tank.   That's silly.  Every role and every class contribute to a successful group or dungeon run.   The quicker you learn that, the more fun you will have.   

you completely missed my point too. my point being exactly tank/healer ARE in general, harder to pay well than DPS. That's why DPS often have a hard time understandng why tank/healer are frustrated or aren't perfect.

Who said I am only a tank? I have BRD / SCH / PLD leveled so I know how each roles works in the PT. Not sure why you need to act like a stereotype when I am just speaking from personal experience having gone through DPS / Healer / tank in FF14.

I spent 80 mins talking a group of players that came from the same FC through sunken temple without even finishing the dungeon. I died over 10 times from final sting as PLD during the first boss. Not a word of complain. We were just having fun dying allover the places try to clear what they called "the final boss" which is basically the first mini boss. lol

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I don't like it when people screw up but I'll take it any day over THAT GUY that does nothing but berate people the entire run.

• XarusXarus Member Posts: 40
    Honestly I have the worst experience with Healers, they are without a doubt the most self centered group of players I have encountered so far in this game. they are always the first to complain and leave a group..... it is highly annoying.
    Originally posted by jesad

Maybe I'm too zen about things these days or something, but this all seems like a perfectly good roleplaying experience to me.

A guy joins a group of strangers to go into a dungeon and realizes almost immediately, through his own inexperience as well as the inexperience of his group, that he has made a mistake.  The tank is an egotistical warrior who rams into everything head first and expects the rest of the team to operate like the well oiled machine that he is accustomed to, one of the dps'ers is acting in a similar fashion, only he isn't taking the consequences of his actions, nor his decided lack of armor protection, when doing so.  The healer, of course, is not having any of it, and the other dps must use whatever piddly heal spells he or she can muster, instead of dps'ing, in order to keep the group alive.

An argument ensues and the entire group parts company not the best of friends. Everyone goes their own way thinking that they were right.  And they all go off to expose the rest of the world to their own unique brand of shenanigans.

......and scene!

Could not have written that any better if I had made it up myself.  And just think, if all had went all peachy keen like you had wished it would have, you wouldn't have had ANY story to come here and tell us.

Embrace Conflict.

lmao, nice! This was my entire problem with WoW dungeons. Everyone got so good at it that the casual players didn't dare join in or be ridiculed. In turn, you don't play and you don't get the experience you need to get good enough to be on their level. And god if your a healer and you let someone die! You might as well dig out the Atari 2600 and start all over.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I play a warrior tank . I also have a white mage healer same character .

What I hate most

1. DPS who think they are tanks and run forward pulling agro in which I have to clean up their mess.

2. DPS who pick the bottom of the list and attack those ones first .

3. DPS who still pick the bottom of the list when I put the number 1  on mob.

4. DPS who break sleep because they are attacking the wrong mob.   

5. Healers who sleep the mob being hit by the bad DPS 5 times in a row and I die because no heal.

6. Healers who die because they are busy sleeping the same mob over and over that the bad DPS is hitting over and over and don't see the red circle under them which ironically kills them causing everyone to die.

7. Healers who sleep mobs that are immune to sleep but keep trying anyways , until tank dies from no heal.

8. Bards / Healers who put regen on tank just as they pull and the mobs run right passed the tank to bard or healer causing messy pull.

9. DPS who think using stun is waste of time because it lowers their dps and that red circle they are standing under is the healers problem not theirs.

10. 15 mins , the time it takes for me to get a new group after I leave the fail group. On the plus side I get my armor crafting done in that time so all good I guess.