Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give it a try if you haven't already

CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

It is a really fun game.  I play on Waterson.

Planetside 2

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I will say I just tried this even though I avoid F2P games because I simply don't like store model vs subscription models.

I played for a little bit. Got 3 kills, died 4 or 5 times. Overall it just didn't seem that interesting and I throughly enjoyed the first month or two of PS 1 at launch (I got bored because you just passed the basses back and forth, there was no real goal, not sure that has changed with PS 2).

I did enjoy that it told me I could hit insant action so I did after leaving the tutorial and it dropped me into a base with about 1 friendly and dozens of enemies so yeah good introduction.....

After that I chose my spawns and ran around, shot at people, got shot at, killed a guy, got knifed in the back by a high level, learned that my cloaking seemed to pretty much never really work as most people just shot at and or killed me when I was cloaked.

Doubt I'll log into it again. I just simply never had a moment of "Man that was fun!".

• omimessromimessr Member Posts: 5

The Good

• Huge, intense battles are a chaotic blast   
    • Even at low levels, you feel you are contributing to the war effort   
    • Combat diversity makes every confrontation feel different from the last   
    • Smart implementation of the free-to-play pricing model.

The Bad

• Inconsistent technical performance   
    • Lack of an in-game tutorial makes the first few hours intimidating.

• nimbuszero2nimbuszero2 Member Posts: 43
    It's a truly amazing game. You can sort of play one-man army if you know what you're doing, and it can be awesome to be in the huge battles. I stopped playing for about 6 weeks because the cash shop kind of messes with the balance of things. However, I logged in this weekend and found that so many people were playing I had a 20 minute queue to get to Amerish. Seems to be thriving, more so than at launch even.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I have tried several times to like the game and really did not enjoy the experience...at all.

it's been a while and i am going to give it another shot.....in a few days.

• PGrimmPGrimm Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I want to try this game again.  Has it been improved since its release?  Or basically still the same thing?
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by PGrimm
    I want to try this game again.  Has it been improved since its release?  Or basically still the same thing?

With less updates and some of the buggiest patches in the MMO industry.  Haven't been around to many MMO developers that have to drop a hotfix to fix the hotfix of the hotfix....

That happend with last weeks patch.

They still have done NOTHING to fix the 4th faction crap.  Took PS1 developers little under a month to come up with a fix.  Been like what 6 for this team.

Liberators still don't render most of the time.  So you will find yourself getting 1 shotted by a invisible plane.  Often.

Servers are dying, as they have stopped launching updates and instead work on something they should have had ironed out 9 months ago (Optimization)... I haven't seen a pop locked cont in months. And I play on Matterson and Connery. 

No more GM support.  Since the "layoffs" I nor has anyone else seen a GM log in for dailey hacker patrol, at all.  Hackers rejoice!

Pretty much the game has gone down hill.  And with GTA out and COD/BF coming within the next 1.5 months.. I think PS2 will be going the way of PS1, only faster this time since there is no meta game in this version of Planetside.  But who needs a meta game when you have E-sports!!!!......

/facepalm

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I like shooters a lot but too many in the past have said it is too much of a hackfest. Not sure I want to go through that again.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    it is one of the best online shooters to date. Too bad its only First Person. They let you fly planes in third person but not control your character in third person. Thats my only problem with the game and the reason why i prefer Ghost Recon. Still i recommend this game. Its massive and fun.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

Two Major problems with this game.

The rate at which you can earn stuff is incredibly slow.

Also from when I played, there were weapons that you could only buy.  These weapons actually have better stats than those you can get for free.  Yes this game is P2W from when I played it last.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Same Same.

With less updates and some of the buggiest patches in the MMO industry.  Haven't been around to many MMO developers that have to drop a hotfix to fix the hotfix of the hofix....

have you been playing lately? i havent, thats why i ask... but everyone talks about all the new changes made to the game and how they changed the capture and hold mechanic to give more meaning to the missions and objectives. ALso UI changes.

Are they lying?

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

This is what is directly in the game as of now:

1. Stock weapons for all 3 empires kill just as effectively as any other weapon, there are NO  buy only type weapons, you can get them either with Station Cash or with In-game Certs.  whether being a SMG, LMG, Assault Rifle, Scout or Sniper Rifle , they are available with both currencies.  

what does that mean?, it means:

NO  I win/ I am Invincible weapons

NO P2W Only weapons 

If you want a weapon or upgrade, you can get it through certs without paying a dime, if you do not like to wait OR you do not have the time to commit, you can pay for it.

the only StationCash only items in the game are cosmetic items and  exp boost items.

2. in addition to number 1,    Stock weapon is just as effective and going by the stupidly large amount of charts the math crunchers throw at each other,  CAN be used by anyone either if  BR 1 or BR 100.   If you can Aim worth a damn and have the envirornmental advantage, everything else doesn't matter.

Not no Resist Shield 5/ Nano Weave 5 jacked up Heavy

Not no fully specced light assault,medic, engineer or Infiltrator

ONLY Class you will have play your cards right would be the Max unit to the large amount of Armor it has and the insane amount of damage it puts out if you are in range.

3. Esamir has changed drastically,  from a Hex system flat ice land, to a  Lattice system based  rocky frozen tundra with various walled up bases like the Octagon or several others, where vehicles will have difficulty, let alone be impossible to get inside the base itself  (i.e. infantry battle)

4. PlayerStudio has opened up,  a couple of helmets and several camo and decal types are now open in the store, buy it if you want to or not.  its not going to make your character any better or have any magical properties to deflect bullets from your head , preventing a head shot.

5. World Domination Pre-Season has started ,  a 5 week campaign pitting all 3 empires at each other. the game keeps track of the empires progress in base captures and is tallied each week on which empire is the most successful, it also becomes a glorious topic about population imbalances, 4 faction empire jumpers,  and conspiracy hobos to share their expertise on how the game is dying while they cry about not being in a amerish alert due to waiting in queue with the rest of the free member users.

6. Hossin and Nexus are Not on the live servers yet, Hossin however is on the public test server, the new focus now is the Performance Patch(es). 

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by omimessr

The Bad

The number 1 reason I never play this type of game!

Number 2 being: tutorial don't make much difference anyway, if your new you are still just easy picking for the high level players that don't like letting others play!

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by Caskio

It is a really fun game.  I play on Waterson.

Planetside 2

Wow OP. Thanks for the info on the game, awesome... 

Your post looks like an ad by the publishers to get people to try (or talk about) the game.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

game was lots of fun when I first played, it even though I normally got my ass handed to me,

I stooped playing due to the insane amount of hackers in it.

I have been told by several friends who still playit that that is mostly gone, and am thinking of trying it agina but not sure, kinda undecided at moment

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The game continues to grow, and they continue to add and tweek. For my money it's the best shooter ever made. I couldn't imagine playing on a small map with 15-20 people total anymore. t's a shooter though. I can only do so much shooting. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Same Same.

With less updates and some of the buggiest patches in the MMO industry.  Haven't been around to many MMO developers that have to drop a hotfix to fix the hotfix of the hofix....

have you been playing lately? i havent, thats why i ask... but everyone talks about all the new changes made to the game and how they changed the capture and hold mechanic to give more meaning to the missions and objectives. ALso UI changes.

Are they lying?

I've played a few hours this week. It keeps getting better. It's optimized way better than at launch.

No, that's all true. It's not sit on a hill and shoot at the crown anymore. You will battle across the map. The Ui is much more newbie friendly than it was. All that being said , the players have gotten reeeally good. No matter what they do to the UI, the game will be harsh on new comers.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by omimessr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA4iMb1kkdY

In-game tutorial  since Game update 09

Originally posted by onlinenow25

Two Major problems with this game.

The rate at which you can earn stuff is incredibly slow.

Also from when I played, there were weapons that you could only buy.  These weapons actually have better stats than those you can get for free.  Yes this game is P2W from when I played it last.

When you are a vanilla free member and play casually gaining certs is slow,  which places people that want to gain certs abit faster but do not want to pay any money into support roles  like medic or engineer , or sundy driver to gain certs.

Which weapons were buy only in the game that you cannot get from certs? got any names?  you can buy them if you do not have the time to acquire a whole lot of certs and wish to play casually. - unfortunately they wont do the player any good if they have poor accuracy and situation awareness getting curbed stomped by other low level players using stock weapons.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I will say I just tried this even though I avoid F2P games because I simply don't like store model vs subscription models.

I played for a little bit. Got 3 kills, died 4 or 5 times. Overall it just didn't seem that interesting and I throughly enjoyed the first month or two of PS 1 at launch (I got bored because you just passed the basses back and forth, there was no real goal, not sure that has changed with PS 2).

I did enjoy that it told me I could hit insant action so I did after leaving the tutorial and it dropped me into a base with about 1 friendly and dozens of enemies so yeah good introduction.....

After that I chose my spawns and ran around, shot at people, got shot at, killed a guy, got knifed in the back by a high level, learned that my cloaking seemed to pretty much never really work as most people just shot at and or killed me when I was cloaked.

Doubt I'll log into it again. I just simply never had a moment of "Man that was fun!".

i saw the instant action thing as a bonus, I cant stand "noob" levels in games, going around killing rats and picking apples with like 1 skill to spam.

the infitrator cloak doesn't make you invisible, its a chameleon cloak, you can spot infiltrators through their outline, they look like Predator

It's a game where joining a squad and using your voice comms to coordinate is important.  While twitch skills are fairly important, organisation and teamwork are much more important.  Its also a game where you shouldn't really give a shit about K:D ratios, especially at first when playing against veterans who've upgraded their gear and know the map well.  a 3:5 KD for a newb is actually impressive.  Its not a death match shooter, the aim isn't to acheive a personal K:D ratio, they aim is to set target territory as a team / guild and go out and take them.  Or work on the alerts whenever they occur, for those that arent into setting their own goals.

Originally posted by bcbully
    The game continues to grow, and they continue to add and tweek. For my money it's the best shooter ever made. I couldn't imagine playing on a small map with 15-20 people total anymore. t's a shooter though. I can only do so much shooting. 

best PVP shooter

COOP shooter - left 4 dead 2 or serious sam 3

PVE shooter, hmm lot of contenders, im liking the shadow warrior remake lots though.

I played and frankly felt disappointed.

-no new  game development for current PC subscribers......all focus is for PS4 players to be able to play..... so Sony can get their subscription dollars.

if you like endless first person fighting...being pitted against players 50-99 levels over you,who know all the ins and outs on how to play and are equipped to the teeth.This may be the game for you.

The good thing....the game can be ftp so you won't loose any money just trying the game.

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

-no new  game development for current PC subscribers......all focus is for PS4 players to be able to play..... so Sony can get their subscription dollars.

if you like endless first person fighting...being pitted against players 50-99 levels over you,who know all the ins and outs on how to play and are equipped to the teeth.This may be the game for you.

The good thing....the game can be ftp so you won't loose any money just trying the game.

oh so that new continent they are currently working on is a PS4 only feature is it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAsYJWihTh8

i mean making your entire game world 1/3rd bigger sounds like "no new  game development for current PC subscribers" doesn't it.

Originally posted by goldtoof
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

oh so that new continent they are currently working on is a PS4 only feature is it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAsYJWihTh8

i mean making your entire game world 1/3rd bigger sounds like "no new  game development for current PC subscribers" doesn't it.

And tell me.hasn't development of that expansion project been delayed ?Hasn't there been a huge uproar on the forums when that was announced. It's introduction is uncertain at best ?

The focus is the ps 4 ,and frame rate optomization.Any new things for the pc are on hold....until.

Frankly there is more land than there are players to play on it...hence the rampant capturing of capture points with no defenders(ghost caping)