Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason I think FFXIV is going to fail: Staying power

Comments

• SkymourneSkymourne Member UncommonPosts: 380

I'd like to read your opinions on this. Share your name, your levels, your server, etc, and let me know what you think. Do you believe FFXIV has the staying power of other MMO's? if so, why, and if not, why not?

Good write up, and while your concerns are valid, some of them can be circumvented by doing one thing: Not fate grinding.  I play on Balmung and i see these jackholes chain grinding these fates like addicted little crack bunnies.  They just have to do it.  They have to be doing something or they might just lose their minds!!!  I watched all of this go by and instead leveled my White Mage slowly but surely, enjoying each level along the way until I hit 50.  It got slow in the 40's but i mixed it up.  I finished my story last night, which made the game immensely worthwhile and am working on making a little gil here and there.  

Crafting, as you said, is fairly atrocious though and is a really legit concern.  I don't focus on it much aside from me needing to level alchemy so that i can meld my relic weapon.  A lot of folks anticipated this game, had their own ideas about what it would be, and had fairly high expectations that would never be met from the get go.  I say let the game flesh out a bit and see what the future holds.  I'll be here having a good time.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Skymourne

Crafting, as you said, is fairly atrocious though and is a really legit concern.  I don't focus on it much aside from me needing to level alchemy so that i can meld my relic weapon.  A lot of folks anticipated this game, had their own ideas about what it would be, and had fairly high expectations that would never be met from the get go.  I say let the game flesh out a bit and see what the future holds.  I'll be here having a good time.

I can see that.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by vidiotking
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by echolynfan

Except that this is a different game? I never played 1.0 - I just know a good MMO when I play it. Have fun with whatever game you deem worthy of your time :)

You didn't have to play 1.0, your post is exactly how fans used to post during 1.0. So it gave me a deja vu feeling and we know how things went after couple of months.When people start wishing for people to leave and how it will make community lot better it just raises all kind of red flags. Seen it happening so many times.

I didn't say I "wish" players would leave - I said that we don't need players like that. There are other games out there for the hardcore gamer elitists - the rest of us are thrilled with what SE has done and are looking forward to the upcoming content.

It's going to take me at least another month to finish leveling my crafting profs alone...maybe. I take my time and am enjoying the ride.

Well that is great but not everyone is into crafting and seeing the amount of DOW  and DOM classes at 50..it is pretty clear that a lot of people are going to quit. I didn't get the memo where it said 'if you only play DOW or DOM classes you are doing it wrong'. You can't blame the players for this. For those who like to focus only on one class it takes roughly two weeks to hit 50 even with most casual play.

I've been playing a lot, or atleast what I consider a lot, since the 27th, and I'm only lvl 32arch/15pug/21fisher...

I don't know what your definition of 'casual play' is, but I think you maybe over/under estimating how much people play, and what is casual vs. psudo-hard core.

Why oh why people don't read. I said if you focus only on 'one' class roughly two weeks is all it take to 50. That is not rushing because you can play casually and still hit 50 because there is plenty of XP in game for first class.

And then you reply to me with 'i am only '32arch/15pug/21fisher'..seriously!!

There i highlighted it for you this time.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
     For those who like to focus only on one class it takes roughly two weeks to hit 50 even with most casual play.

I've been playing a lot, or atleast what I consider a lot, since the 27th, and I'm only lvl 32arch/15pug/21fisher...

I don't know what your definition of 'casual play' is, but I think you maybe over/under estimating how much people play, and what is casual vs. psudo-hard core.

Why oh why people don't read. I said if you focus only on 'one' class roughly two weeks is all it take to 50. That is not rushing because you can play casually and still hit 50 because there is plenty of XP in game for first class.

I can appreciate that there is SOME difference between what you said and my own levels achieved. But really... What you are suggesting is still not true. It will take me atleast another couple of weeks to get arch to 50, and at that point, It will have been well over 2 weeks of play, on my archer only, to get my arch to 50.

I stand by my previous assertion.

Is there a /command that tells you hve much time you've played?

For those who like to focus only on one class it takes roughly two weeks to hit 50 even with most casual play.

I can appreciate that there is SOME difference between what you said and my own levels achieved. But really... What you are suggesting is still not true. It will take me atleast another couple of weeks to get arch to 50, and at that point, It will have been well over 2 weeks of play, on my archer only, to get my arch to 50.

Then please do keep standing at your previous assertion You have already spent enough days on getting all those three classes to their respective levels. While i spend all my time on leveling LANCER without any distractions and i got 50 in 14 days. And i don't even play that much ..approximately 14 to 16 hours a week with majority of time coming from weekends.

Anyone who is focused on one class would tell you the same because there is plenty of XP for first 50 but not so much for alt classes.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

Then please do keep standing at your previous assertion You have already spent enough days on getting all those three classes to their respective levels. While i spend all my time on leveling LANCER without any distractions and i got 50 in 14 days. And i don't even play that much ..approximately 14 to 16 hours a week with majority of time coming from weekends.

Anyone who is focused on one class would tell you the same because there is plenty of XP for first 50 but not so much for alt classes.

/heh.

Did you use FATES do get some exp? or did you just do dungeons/leves?  Cause I must be really slow....

/heh.

Did you use FATES do get some exp? or did you just do dungeons/leves?  Cause I must be really slow....

Well first of all you will have to focus on one dps class then read the leveling guide i posted (my signature) and then 'profit'.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    There is nothing new here OP. I can't think of a game with staying power that has hit the market since EVE Online and that's mainly because of the skill system letting you change or advance into other aspects of the game every few months (if it doesn't kill you on the wait time first.)  They simply do not design MMORPGs to last anymore fully expecting most people to move on to something else three months from launch when the next big game launches. That's why most recent MMORPGs play like single player games with co-op features for a very casual audience. Now that SE has cashed in on the hype with launch sales and as many subs as they could wrangle we all know the game will go free to play in a year's time rather than launch an expansion. Why make new content when you can net more dollars with a cash shop and the same old stuff? It's typical of the current MMO age we play in...
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

Also, I think that when a lot of you folks get to end-game, and see the rampant amount of assholes that are present there, that you might change your tune a bit.

Seriously. Getting raged at for not skipping the cutscenes the first time you do a dungeon, getting told "Go back to WoW" for not knowing a fight you've never done, ragequitters who insta-leave if anyone dies or a wipe happens.

I realize this *IS* largely in part due to the zerg crowd, but until you see it and experience it firsthand, you have no right to say that it's not a real part of the game right now. I had not expected so many pricks... but my god. When people want to scream at new level 50 players for being in a dungeon the first time... it's a bit revolting. Do you know what's less fun than running the same dungeon 30x? Running the same dungeon 30x with a bunch of people who are completely and totally disrespectful, obnoxious, and full of rage.

I've now hit 50, and completed the game, and done a few HM primal fights and such... and I'm not sure I even feel compelled enough to listen to this damn screaming much longer. I'd like you to hit 50 and see exactly what I'm talking about, too.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57

Cymdai its a shame to see the amount of hate on thread and complete blind faith ( almost like a cult lol )

I agree with you OP and points highlighted at start shame a lot of people refuse to agree on anything bad said about game or any constructive criticism.

I had a lot of hopes for the game and honestly wanted it to do good but this will be doomed to fail within a few month or years tops if it does not address a lot of the points described.

• Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38

Well pve endgame alone will take people months to progress through.

If they don't add content, then yeah staying power wont be very strong in the game (nor any game tbh)

Now if SE can follow through on all the content they are talking about, and we can get major content patches every 3-6 months...then I think the staying power will be just fine.

Specifically the PVP, new classes, and new endgame content they are talking about.  Oh the player housing and guild halls as well.

So yeah, the game as it is right now is only going to have 5 or so months of staying power and only to people who love this type of endgame.

Hopefully a minor content patch next month followed by a major content patch this winter...

They will need this stuff however...for the game to have good staying power.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Soki123
    I can safely say, everyone is not 50. We have 1 in our GC, longevity isn t a problem for people like me. The game has a ton of content ready apparently. I m not sure why I commented, as I play so differently, we couldn t even relate to each other.

Until you get to 50, and...

1: decide to level a new class and relize you have 0 quests except a class one every 5th level, so your stuck doing Leves, which have limited allowances and give about half what a normal quest did when you leveled your first combat class, Or fates, which get extremly boring quite quickly since they are a completly challengeless way to fast way to advance. I leveled my 1st class a warrior, by doing main story quest, and any side quests in the places it took me, while I was running to quest objectives I would run and do any fates I found (I was either solo or with 1 friend at the time). I hit 50 over 1.5 weeks ago. Didn't rush or nothing, if I rushed I'd have been 50 about 4 days from release on the 27th of aug.

2: Decide to level a crafter only to relize that other than making part of the relic weapon, and melding materia the tiem you spend into leveling a crafter is pretty much worthless, due to how easy get is to get.

People on Non-legacy servers already have mutiple decently geared level 50s. Which just shouldn't be possible so soon after release. If i wanted to I culd prob take a 2nd class from 1 to 50 in maybe 2 days or so just spamming fates. Its literally that fast, especally the 2nd time around when you get a 50% exp bonus on fate rewards and monster kills. I mean since I have no main or side quests left all I really have is fates or leves.

3: you could level via dungeons but why? Most of the time you get stuck with random bad pugs, that it just ends up being a stressful experence, higher levels don't wanna bother running lower dungeons again because there is no point to it. The exp to time ratio in dungeons is also probally the worse in the game.

4: This one is about endgame, Amdapor Keep a place most decently geared 50's farm philosphy and mythic tomestones. The problem with this dungeon is the 2nd boss is sort of a gear/dps check, if your dps does not have sufficent gear you just will not kill the boss. Sadly using duty finder that doesn't have a average ilvl check or anything fo the sort means you might get placed with fresh 50's that you won't be able to finish it with (you also cannot vote kick bad/undergeared players either since there is no kick option period), this just wastes your time and their's. A level 50 Grand company weapon would suffice, and Amdapor keep drops ilvl 60 gear, but to get your lv 50 grand company weapon you need to clear Amdapor keep (see the problem here? to get a weapon that is bascally required to do it, u have to have done it first). The easy fix would be to just make Amdapor keep a 5 man, with a 1 tank 3 dps 1 healer setup, I am sure 3 undergeared dps's could kill the wall, but with 2 dps parties if even 1 is under geared your not going to kill it.

Me myself? I didn't go in till I had a few iLvl 70 Darklight pieces(think I had 3 or 4) and the iLvl 60 ifrit axe so yes I do pratice what I preach, I always check ahead of time what sort of gear I need for endgame things so I can go in prepared, due to what I heard about how the place was.

Best thing to do when you hit 50 is take the new story quest from Minfillia after u turn in the final story mission and do your lv 50 class quest, The quest from Minfillia will be to kill hard mode Ifrit, and spam that thing till you get the weapon for your class (drops Ilvl 60 weapons for all jobs). You can kill HM ifrit with a lv 44 gc weapon and AF gear Assuming you can get a group of competant players together.. and that is where the real diffculty of the fight is.. finding people who well... don't suck and can avoid aoe's and interutp eruption everytime. You also need a BLM or Smn to do a level 3 limit break to heavy damage the 4 infernal nails enough so you have enough time to kill all 4, if even 1 lives when he does hellfire you wipe. everyone will get 1 shoted except the maybe the tank (if a warrior, pld might get 1 shoted depends, but either way with your 2 healers dead and all the dps dead your screwed anyway :( ) unless they are very well geared above what the fight actually needs.

As the game currently is, I don't know how its going to keep people in the game for another 2 months before the first big patch that actually adds in a real raid and more stuff to do. They did put a cap of 300 Mythic tomestones per rl week, once you hit that cap u won't be able to get anymore, and msot items take over 400 gear wise, so a min of 2 weeks. You get 80 Philosphy and 40 mythic tomestones per clear of Amdapor Keep.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by KingAlkaiser

Cymdai its a shame to see the amount of hate on thread and complete blind faith ( almost like a cult lol )

I agree with you OP and points highlighted at start shame a lot of people refuse to agree on anything bad said about game or any constructive criticism.

I had a lot of hopes for the game and honestly wanted it to do good but this will be doomed to fail within a few month or years tops if it does not address a lot of the points described.

Sadly majority of these people who are are ready to throw themselves on sword for honor of SE are not even 50 yet.

• Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38

Sadly majority of these people who are are ready to throw themselves on sword for honor of SE are not even 50 yet.

You two try really hard, and im not sure why.

So you decided to play a game all about endgame gear grind, and then shockingly decide that you hate this type of endgame, but also everyone else has the same tastes as you and thus the game is DOOOOOOMMED!!!!

Some people like this type of endgame, yes I am there, and I have a long way to go to even raid.

You might be right about your doom and gloom tryhard-ism if SE is 100% bullshitting about planned content and the game will remain unchanged for its life.

If not...you are not doing what you think you are doing...you think you are cutting through rampant fanboi-ism who have been spreading lies about an enjoyable game, and are here to save the masses from playing a game so bad it will injure them.

Reality is, just because you actually like the game you play doesn't mean your a fanboi, and just because you hate this type of game doesn't mean others don't...and for what its worth its a great game of this type.

Even though you might hate it...a lot of people like this type of game...and they didn't trick you they were very clear as to what type of game this would be...and for what its worth, its a very well made game.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I agree with the OP on his points related to the ease of the game 1-50, but its fairly obvious he hasn't done the endgame hard-mode bosses and Bahamut's Coil.

Raiders have been very satisfied with the difficulty of the content so far, and nobody in the world has completed Coil turn 5.

There is challenge here if you are willing to work for it. Why do you think people will pay 100-300k for a titan run? Its next to impossible to beat with PUGs.

In regards to gil its incredibly easy for people to make enough to sustain themselves. 

1) farm low level crystals which will pay like 40-60 gil a swing.

2) Spiritbond level 45+ gear and sell level 3 materia. There is some luck involved, but you often get materia that sells for 20-40k.

Neither options will make players rich enough to do HQ item level 70 crafting, but its enough to stop people from going broke.

Originally posted by Bandaid47

You two try really hard, and im not sure why.

So you decided to play a game all about endgame gear grind, and then shockingly decide that you hate this type of endgame, but also everyone else has the same tastes as you and thus the game is DOOOOOOMMED!!!!

Some people like this type of endgame, yes I am there, and I have a long way to go to even raid.

You might be right about your doom and gloom tryhard-ism if SE is 100% bullshitting about planned content and the game will remain unchanged for its life.

If not...you are not doing what you think you are doing...you think you are cutting through rampant fanboi-ism who have been spreading lies about an enjoyable game, and are here to save the masses from playing a game so bad it will injure them.

Reality is, just because you actually like the game you play doesn't mean your a fanboi, and just because you hate this type of game doesn't mean others don't...and for what its worth its a great game of this type.

Even though you might hate it...a lot of people like this type of game...and they didn't trick you they were very clear as to what type of game this would be...and for what its worth, its a very well made game.

I would have been more inclined to reply to you if your post was not full of so many assumptions.

You have mentioned so many things here that i never said. if you try to put words into my mouth then i would just ignore what you have to say from now on because honestly i am not in the mood to be baited into arguing about something i never said.

But i know i am right that majority of people who shoot down any criticism about the game especially lvl 50 content are not even 50 yet. Which makes the whole thing quite absurd.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by icculus2112

I dont necessarily disagree with most of what you wrote, by the way.  I just think its *far* too early to make a call.  they have some work to do though.

I haven't logged on for almost a week, I'd say its close to too late, for me at least. I think there are other issues in addition to what the OP mentioned a major one being possibly the least responsive combat for many a year. 

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

How do people find more than 24 hours in a day to see it all and do it all already? I'm in a legacy FC, the level 50s in it are busy grinding away their tomes, doing hard mode primals, crafting, the bottom line is the last thing they are doing is bitching about having nothing to do.

I have a level 35 whm, I do the main story to there is a level cutoff, depending on what I feel like doing I'll either do my hunting, crafting gathering logs, the GC hunting log, zerg a few fates, I really haven't gotten to the point of wanting to make gil yet, the point is I have not run out of things to do nowhere's close.

If what the OP says is true please post your character sheet for us, so we can see exactly what you've accomplished.

People fail to realise that the time sinks, aka grinds, are what give mmos their staying power.

BTW not griding your rank with the GC might effect your PvP in frontlines (I'm gonna speculate here), crafting and gathering will also be needed in frontlines, as well as housing, the things that aren't yet implemented. 

Everyone wants everything handed to them then whine they got nothing to do because they didn't put int he work for it, can't have your cake and eat it too kids.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by cybersurfr

That's cute, but your posts speak for themselves as do mine. You can deny all you want if logic escapes you, but it's all there in the posts you make. image

Is that it? i thought you will post some more imaginary stuff i never said and try to put more words in my mouth.

All this silly back and forth can be easily avoided if you focus more on what people are saying rather then who is saying it. 

What's left to be said? You keep saying to act like an adult and leave out emotions out of this, but you're dragging this out like a sensitive little kid. You can hide all that with the tone you set in your posts, but you're immaturity is rather transparent.  I've already said my part. Like I said, your posts speak for themselves - read your own posts and realize how childish you actually are. So yup - you should take your silly advise for yourself because you're the one who needs it.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Coil is hardcore... everything else not so much. This was posted over at Red™

Nostalgia where? Maybe it is over there?

You have to scroll a bit to the right.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

It's almost like the MMO industry has completely lost its marbles.  Consider how many games have released now with this ultra casual MMO model, and either failed outright, or had mediocre results.  They just keep doing it over and over and over again, spending tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.  Sure, a lot of them do "ok", but very few of them are viable long-term games, and many times, the companies themselves are struggling internally to keep their games afloat.  Talk about stress...

I don't know.  At this point I have to assume any company that releases yet another casual, solo-focused theme park game is just operating from a position of complete willful ignorance. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

That's cute, but your posts speak for themselves as do mine. You can deny all you want if logic escapes you, but it's all there in the posts you make. image

Is that it? i thought you will post some more imaginary stuff i never said and try to put more words in my mouth.

All this silly back and forth can be easily avoided if you focus more on what people are saying rather then who is saying it. 

What's left to be said? You keep saying to act like an adult and leave out emotions out of this, but you're dragging this out like a sensitive little kid. You can hide all that with the tone you set in your posts, but you're immaturity is rather transparent.  I've already said my part. Like I said, your posts speak for themselves - read your own posts and realize how childish you actually are. So yup - you should take your silly advise for yourself because you're the one who needs it.

If i was actually that childish i would be going around calling people and their crticism regarding the game as stupid and idiotic. But i don't do that, Mature people disagree and agree all the time without getting personal.

I talk about the game and you talk about people who talk about the games. So please spare me this hypocricy regarding 'immaturity'. But hey you can see whatever you desire in my posts even the things that clearly do not exist. I am actually capable of formulating few sentences without any personal insults. Try that sometime.

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57

AmbrosiaAmor

I love that pic you posted (the final fantasy 11 blm vs ff14 blm ) it completely sums up how i feel about ff14 combat system it makes it look like developers think players are too stupid to have a variety of things to do or anything complex, ff14 has extreme and i mean extremely over casualised/simplified combat/over all game/etc as explained so much throughout this thread and forum.

I miss even version 1.0 ff14 you had battle regimes at the very least, they even removed that with shitty limit breaks.  You even had more spells/skills to use overall.

does anyone remember stuff like dread spikes/shock spikes/rasp/drown/etc to name a few which got completely removed and replaced with the simplified stuff we have now.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/guide/development/vt/extra/images/list.gif

i miss variety and complexity.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by Cymdai

Also, I think that when a lot of you folks get to end-game, and see the rampant amount of assholes that are present there, that you might change your tune a bit.

Seriously. Getting raged at for not skipping the cutscenes the first time you do a dungeon, getting told "Go back to WoW" for not knowing a fight you've never done, ragequitters who insta-leave if anyone dies or a wipe happens.

I realize this *IS* largely in part due to the zerg crowd, but until you see it and experience it firsthand, you have no right to say that it's not a real part of the game right now. I had not expected so many pricks... but my god. When people want to scream at new level 50 players for being in a dungeon the first time... it's a bit revolting. Do you know what's less fun than running the same dungeon 30x? Running the same dungeon 30x with a bunch of people who are completely and totally disrespectful, obnoxious, and full of rage.

I've now hit 50, and completed the game, and done a few HM primal fights and such... and I'm not sure I even feel compelled enough to listen to this damn screaming much longer. I'd like you to hit 50 and see exactly what I'm talking about, too.

I come from League of Legends, my friend :) We INVENTED toxic players LOL!! Man I am so looking forward to the nerd rage i will see at lvl 50... *heats up some popcorn*

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

If i was actually that childish i would be going around calling people and their crticism regarding the game as stupid and idiotic. But i don't do that, Mature people disagree and agree all the time without getting personal.

I talk about the game and you talk about people who talk about the games. So please spare me this hypocricy regarding 'immaturity'. But hey you can see whatever you desire in my posts even the things that clearly do not exist. I am actually capable of formulating few sentences without any personal insults. Try that sometime.

why are you even still posting in this forum? You clearly hate the game why do you need to troll the fans of this game every single day of the week. Seriously, EVERY DAY. how long will it take you to get bored of raining on other people's parades? Do you like knocking kids' ice cream cones on the floor to watch them cry?  We get it, after 100 of your posts we get it, you dont like the game- please move on with your life?

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)