Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Camelot Unchained: The Helbound Class Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Camelot Unchained team is readying itself to ramp up information about the game currently in development. With the recently published developer diary revealing the Helbound, we managed to catch up to Mark Jacobs to find out even more. Read on and then leave us your impressions in the comments.

MMORPG: How does this class tie into the Viking faction? We know Hel is a Norse God, but definitely not tied to Vahalla. Will this class be more of an outcast?

Mark Jacobs: Hel’s role in traditional Viking lore is a bit problematic as it is not as clear cut as someone like Odin. In our version, she has as big a role in the Viking realm as do the other Greater Powers here and in the other realms. Neither she nor her followers will be seen as outcasts, especially since they embrace both life and death with equal vigor. However, there is no doubt that the HelBound want to convey a message of “Danger Will Robinson! Danger!” through their appearance. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Camelot Unchained: Helbound Revealed.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

Cool concept, but still too early for details on.... Magic, weapons, combat mechanics, or really anything.

Which makes this a rather odd choice for a feature, but still interesting stuff.

I'd like to announce I am offically onboard the CU hype-train.  Lets hope this one fails less badly than all the others.

Notice I've stopped hoping a MMO will ever live-up to the hype, but judge it's success on the degree of failure.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

I look less at the general level of complexity and design in the concept art than the feel and tone of the armor sets and character style. The notion of the duality associated with the religion, skillset and appearance of the Helbound is interesting enough.

It invites the comparisons of another take on a hybrid class like Shadowknight types from other gaming worlds. We'll see. I do like the occasional insight into the core class concepts anyway.

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

appearance does little for me. there is such a huge oversupply of good artistry in the mmo market that more of it adds very little.

what i want to hear more about is gameplay.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

So, the first class revealed is a viking version of Harvey 'Two-Face' Dent from Batman Forever?  Do you have to flip a gold piece before executing certain skills?

Sorry, sorry. Just not feeling this game at all, especially not from the artwork.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Without gameplay all this is irrelevant. Anyone can put stuff on paper and make it sound good these days.

can't really expect much info at this point. The game is like 3 months out of kick starter and they are building the engine from scratch.

That mean's there isn't even a game yet. There isn't even an engine to BUILD a game yet. The programmers are just making tools that will eventually become an engine that they will eventually build a game with.

He can't talk about anything because there is nothing to talk about really. The game is still 3+ years out..... AT LEAST.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

One wonders how long a PvP realm based game can last these days. Especially one without PvE. Planetside 2 isn't doing that great it seems, and it's a shooter. The rest of the PvP ones.... dead or dying.

Problem with the MMORPG style (not planetside 2 style) PvP games is that it relies on people who don't want to be victims to be victims, and to have people who love sociopathic behavior to cooperate. Not a good combo.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by eric_w66

One wonders how long a PvP realm based game can last these days. Especially one without PvE. Planetside 2 isn't doing that great it seems, and it's a shooter. The rest of the PvP ones.... dead or dying.

This is PS2 style though. Most of the only successful MMOs of the last few years were PvP games. PS2, Darkfall (not a billion dollar success, but it grew, added more servers, and added staff over the years, something almost no other WoW clone managed to do), and DAoC is still going.

AND. This is not a PvP only game. No one said there was no PvE, just no PvE grinding for levels.

And no, RvR doesn't rely on victims, FFA PvP does (not that that is actually a problem, as Eve, the second most popular MMO on the market, proves)

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130

Agree with what others have said. Graphics and concept art are cool and all, but mechanics and gameplay are what I care about.

Give me party size, death mechanics, travel mechanics, etc.  Hell, I'd be more excited to hear /face is in the game. It's nice to throw concepts out all over the place, but really give some solid information about the game. We've all heard the 'We want to do xyz with our game" from every other developer out there , but actually tell us you are doing it and it's going to be there on release. 

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

I don't see it as an issue.  CE isn't trying to be the "next thing". They are making a small MMO with a small team, with a small budget hopeing to capture one small corner of the MMO market with a niche game for hard-core PvP sandbox players.

I think they know what they are getting into going. I acutally think that the only thing that COULD kill this game is if it does go too mainstream. Selling A million boxes a launch day could hoestly be a disaster for this game.

It would be much better if it pulled an EVE online. Where it was a game no one ever heard of and slowly builds it's player base from a few thousand players up.

Originally posted by Xarnthal

Agree with what others have said. Graphics and concept art are cool and all, but mechanics and gameplay are what I care about.

Give me party size, death mechanics, travel mechanics, etc.  Hell, I'd be more excited to hear /face is in the game. It's nice to throw concepts out all over the place, but really give some solid information about the game. We've all heard the 'We want to do xyz with our game" from every other developer out there , but actually tell us you are doing it and it's going to be there on release. 

There's no way they'd have that information 3 months into the development process.  Those are the types of things that change with testing. They have death system ideas, but if you're waiting for locked in features... come back in 2 years.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

This is PS2 style though. Most of the only successful MMOs of the last few years were PvP games. PS2, Darkfall (not a billion dollar success, but it grew, added more servers, and added staff over the years, something almost no other WoW clone managed to do), and DAoC is still going.

AND. This is not a PvP only game. No one said there was no PvE, just no PvE grinding for levels.

And no, RvR doesn't rely on victims, FFA PvP does (not that that is actually a problem, as Eve, the second most popular MMO on the market, proves)

Ehh what? Are you for real or live in a different Dimension that us?

Tell me of any pure PVP MMO that has been as succesful as any of the bigname MMOs out there like WoW, EQ2, LOTRO, FFXIV ARR, GW2.

Above games (Except FFXIV yet) have both PVE and PVP as secondary.

Darkfall a success? lol! Sorry... it might have had a tiny hardcore fanbase that kept the Company alive, but that's it.

PS2 isn't doing well either and is struggling.

Just to give you an example. FFXIV ARR currently has over 325.000 concurrent Connections during Prime times and it's a pure PVE MMO (Will get some instanced PVP in a future patch, but it's still a PVE MMO at it's core and always will be).

Tell me of any pure PVP MMO that comes even Close to these amount of players.

None! Even EVE Online, which is the most succesful MMO to date With FFA PVP, doesn't even come Close to those numbers.

Yeah, as much as I am a PVP guy. PvP mmo's havn't competed at all.  Compaired to the big theme-parks.

That's OK though. As I said CU is a game for the small niche fan-base. Maybe it will draw in a differnt type of gamer after launch, but(I hope) it will do well enough at launch with it's small dedicated fanbase.

Originally posted by Dutchman87

Yeah, as much as I am a PVP guy. PvP mmo's havn't competed at all.  Compaired to the big theme-parks.

That's OK though. As I said CU is a game for the small niche fan-base. Maybe it will draw in a differnt type of gamer after launch, but(I hope) it will do well enough at launch with it's small dedicated fanbase.

Er.. what?

DAoC, second biggest MMO of its day. PvP focused.

GW1 and GW2, both hugely successful, PvP focus.

Eve, second most popular MMO on the market. PvP focus.

What themeparks have had huge success other than WoW?

TSW, PvE focus, huge failure.

Aoc, PvE focus, huge failure.

SWTOR, PvE focus, huge failure.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

I don't know where you come up with most of the only successful mmo's are PVP games.....

Someone a little cray-cray........

No pve is gonna hurt this game simple as that.......

GW2 isn't PVP centric. 

and DAOC and GW1, although great games are at LEAST 3-4 MMO generations ago.

and although TOR was a pile of trash it wasn't really a failure. Even with the MASSIVE price tag on that game.  You can't sell 3 million boxes at 60$ each and not make money, even if you spend 200 million dollars making a horrible game.

So I Suppose it depends on how you define "Failure." 

Originally posted by JeroKane

Ehh what? Are you for real or live in a different Dimension that us?

Tell me of any pure PVP MMO that has been as succesful as any of the bigname MMOs out there like WoW, EQ2, LOTRO, FFXIV ARR, GW2.

ARR is anything but a success. It just released, most MMOs die right afterwards, just like FF14 did the first time around. LotRO and EQ2 were mild successes at best. GW2 is a PvP MMO, it's the whole point of the game.

Above games (Except FFXIV yet) have both PVE and PVP as secondary.

Darkfall a success? lol! Sorry... it might have had a tiny hardcore fanbase that kept the Company alive, but that's it.

A company of 12 developers made an MMO from scratch with very little funding. They've steadily grown over 4 years, now sitting at 60 developers, released boxed versions of the game, multiple free expansions, moved into bigger offices, twice, opened new servers, released a sequel, and are currently in the process of releasing in a new country.

Not a success? Yeah, no. They're a huge success for what they've done. You compare that with Rift or SWTOR where they lose developers, close servers, and have declining populations over the years, and have to go FTP just to stay alive. Darkfall still has a subscription. So sorry, you're completely wrong.

Just to give you an example. FFXIV ARR currently has over 325.000 concurrent Connections during Prime times and it's a pure PVE MMO (Will get some instanced PVP in a future patch, but it's still a PVE MMO at it's core and always will be). It just launched. SWOTR had bigger numbers at launch. So did AoC. Neither are considered successful.

Tell me of any pure PVP MMO that comes even Close to these amount of players.

Eve.

None! Even EVE Online, which is the most succesful MMO to date With FFA PVP, doesn't even come Close to those numbers.

It's the most successful MMO to date outside WoW. Full stop.

Originally posted by nationalcity

I don't know where you come up with most of the only successful mmo's are PVP games.....

Someone a little cray-cray........

No pve is gonna hurt this game simple as that.......

[mod edit] There is PvE in this game. As I and many others have said many times.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I'm still trying to get over the fact that someone is trying to convince us that the only successful games over the past few years have been PvP games.  And when someone brings up GW2, he claims it's a PvP game.  

Mind-boggling.

Originally posted by RebelScum99

I'm still trying to get over the fact that someone is trying to convince us that the only successful games over the past few years have been PvP games.  And when someone brings up GW2, he claims it's a PvP game.  

Mind-boggling.

Scroll up buddy, nobody claimed that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there will be Mobs, some world bosses and maybe even a PVP dungeon or two that the factions will fight for control over. I wouldn't really classify those as (PVE) per say. 

From what I understand there just wont be any PVE questing or raiding or grinding.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there will be Mobs, some world bosses and maybe even a PVP dungeon or two that the factions will fight for control over. I wouldn't really classify those as (PVE) per say. 

From what I understand there just wont be any PVE questing or raiding or grinding.

All they've ever said is that there won't be PvE based leveling. They never ruled out mobs in general, and they've hinted at big PvE mobs already.

GW2 isn't PVP centric. 

and DAOC and GW1, although great games are at LEAST 3-4 MMO generations ago.

and although TOR was a pile of trash it wasn't really a failure.

When you have to merge the servers down to 1/5 their number, when the two founders of the company leave, when EA stocks plummet, when the staff that manages the game gets cut in half twice, when the game scrambles to go free to play... yeah that's a failure all right.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Mark Jacobs,

You want feedback, but haven't told us much of anything. A bit of lore and some artwork. Can't tell you if it's a good class or not for the game with limited data. If you're asking if it's a good concept, then let's just say I wouldn't play it. While it does have some coolness to it, I don't like how half of him looks different than the other half.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    i dont trust promises following by amateur concept art ...