Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Now that WAR is going down, what alternative DAOC-style mmo will you play?

I'm not sure what to play now that WAR is going down. I don't like Lineage 2. I just want to kill in RvR without having any penalties for killing.

Maybe GW2? I also heard there was one called Aika Online and I'm also considering Champions of Regnum. Any suggestions?

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    the best warhammer alternative is guild wars 2 hands down currently. The other games you mentioned are nothing like the depth of guild wars 2 world vs world system. Warhammer and DAOC shared realm point abilities and keep taking etc. Guild wars 2 has all of this where realms online and L2 doesnt. Also GW2 isnt about gear its about builds but there is way more zerging in GW2 than warhammer as the zones are not the largest etc. Though with the patch today they added in the new world vs world map design that took out the giant lake in the center and gave capture points which helped create some small scale pvp instead of just zerging. Until ESO releases its just GW2 for that sort of pvp thats any good and ESO might not be that great either so who knows.
  • wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by cronius77
    the best warhammer alternative is guild wars 2 hands down currently. The other games you mentioned are nothing like the depth of guild wars 2 world vs world system. Warhammer and DAOC shared realm point abilities and keep taking etc. Guild wars 2 has all of this where realms online and L2 doesnt. Also GW2 isnt about gear its about builds but there is way more zerging in GW2 than warhammer as the zones are not the largest etc. Though with the patch today they added in the new world vs world map design that took out the giant lake in the center and gave capture points which helped create some small scale pvp instead of just zerging. Until ESO releases its just GW2 for that sort of pvp thats any good and ESO might not be that great either so who knows.

GW2 WvW = zerg. It is horrible. The great thing about WAR was that you could actually combat the zerg, without actually having to zerg yourself. That's not the case in GW2, you can barely even play a melee class in WvW. I think it is a pretty sad attempt at objective based PvP especially when they had a great template in WAR to look off of. 

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

i looked at GW2 and it is buy once to play. I think I want to try a F2P title first.

Also yea, i'm not super keen on an overly zergy RvR mmo. I was after one where the players inidividual skills make more difference also.

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129
    There are people still playing WH? I had no idea. I could only take that game for about 6 months. Too many things that were frustrating.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

GW2's latest patch introduced a new mechanic that reduced zerging a bit on the borderlands WvW. Also, roll into a server that is not that high on the ranking list of WvW and you will face less zergs.

Still, you will face that Zerg sooner or later. All mass battle games will have zergs and there is really nothing you can do about it.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by sgtalon
    I could only take that game for about 6 months. Too many things that were frustrating.

Same here. I played Warhammer Online for 6 months as well before quitting. Interesting tidbit from the Warhammer official forums, it seems that EA "would have" (at one point) transitioned the game to F2P, but it was mainly due to how Mythic mismanaged the game.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Gameplay/General-Discussion/Official-WAR-shutting-down--17346725-1.html

Populations went from 800k to somewhere around 100k in just one year: 2008-2009. I can only speculate as to what the current number of subscribers are. But I'll take a whack at it. At release the game had just a little over 80 global servers, but for the sake of Math™ let us say that is was exactly 80.

http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_servers/Consolidated_servers

Oceanic and European servers have all been retired and were eventually merged with the North American servers for a whopping total of Two™ global servers (North American servers). 800 / 80 = 10k per. I doubt the servers are running at even half that capacity. From the last known statistical report (when there were 4 servers) the average number of active ranked 40 players for 3 servers stood around 1500 while 1 server stood around 3000. This was at the end of 2010:

http://pauser.com/warhammer/stats/all_servers.html

With only 2 servers left, my [guess] is that the current population for September 2013 is around 1500 per server. I could see them having somewhere between 5k-10k subscribers. I would be really hard pressed to believe they have more than 20k active subs (or more) at this point.

EA might have made the switch at one point to F2P... but when you have a game that goes 800k to somewhere around 5k-10k in a period of 5 years... I don't think any company would want to salvage that. Would it even be a "sound" business decision to make the switch in the long run?

• krevrakrevra Member UncommonPosts: 50
    GW2 has amazing WvW, here is a video of a guild called VOTF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw6JJku32U&feature=c4-overview&list=UUcXjNEAHCKdqxrWBZw4IJVA
  • WonderweissMWonderweissM Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Edit
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by tom_gore

GW2's latest patch introduced a new mechanic that reduced zerging a bit on the borderlands WvW. Also, roll into a server that is not that high on the ranking list of WvW and you will face less zergs.

Still, you will face that Zerg sooner or later. All mass battle games will have zergs and there is really nothing you can do about it.

You have the perfect post! There is no way to get out of a zerg battle in games or battles in real life. All the epic movies that introduce huge battles depict two forces rushing into one huge zerg in the middle of the battle field. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

You have the perfect post! There is no way to get out of a zerg battle in games or battles in real life. All the epic movies that introduce huge battles depict two forces rushing into one huge zerg in the middle of the battle field. 

hm.. ok i did read about GW2's combat system. I also tried Regnum and Aika. Regnum seems to have less zergyness than GW2 and the combat seems more balanced. Not all rvr pvp mmos are dependent on zergs - In regnum, the individual player can still feel he can make a difference on his own. I guess a determinant of whether a game is zergy is whether the determinant of victory in pvp is more a player's skill, or the presence of a zerg.

• EdrogarEdrogar Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

Oceanic and European servers have all been retired and were eventually merged with the North American servers for a whopping total of Two™ global servers (North American servers). 800 / 80 = 10k per. I doubt the servers are running at even half that capacity. From the last known statistical report (when there were 4 servers) the average number of active ranked 40 players for 3 servers stood around 1500 while 1 server stood around 3000. This was at the end of 2010:

Not quite right, they didn't retire them, they moved them, there are still even right at this minute seperate EU and US servers (one of each). The company that used to host the EU servers (GOA) was doing such a bad job they lost the contract and the EU servers were moved to the US data center and Mythic took over. It was at this point that WAR took its biggest hit to its EU subscriber base. The transfer was such a nightmare and the lag that resulted due to the servers just not being configured right for long distance clients lost them at least two thirds of the EU plyerbase.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

This is true. I think it's sadly amusing that some people call for more "massive" in mmo's but that usually means that "a massive" amount of people might want to participate in what is considered large scale activities.

People could wait for Camelot Unchained.

http://camelotunchained.com/en/

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336

Not sure what I'm gonna do.

Just patched GW2 might try Darkfall again as well.

basically I'm just gonna be waiting 3 years for CU and crying.....

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    The WvW areas of GW2 are just glorified instances. They have nothing to do with any part of the actual game world and they are so small in size that a zerg can easily move from one side to the other in a couple of minutes. Every time I try to play it, I get burned out with it in just a few short days. It lacks the scale of Warhammer and it certainly lacks the scale of DAOC.
  • neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

Well, some people are suggesting GW2 WvW. However, for that to be even kind of remotely somewhat fun, you need to run with a zerg and press 1. You should look at the top 3 servers since they are the only servers with enough people to make WvW an actually fun thing if you care about winning. 

They also just added something called bloodlust to make sure that anyone who is serious about WvW would transfer to a bigger population server (they charge 22$ for a transfer) so you can see what the focus of that WvW is. Money > fun.

You can see the pile of crap that is GW2 WvW here: http://mos.millenium.org/na

However, for PvE, I think its still a pretty solid game if you like kililng zombies over and over.

Just kidding btw, save your money and look for an alternative. Right now, it is not worth the box price.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Can't you all just go back to the 'alternative style' that keeps getting mentioned.... DAOC.. Didn't they implement classic servers?

I'm confused why everyone always wants to compare things to the "great games of the past" , IE UO, EQ, DAOC... If they were that great, why did anyone ever leave for 'bigger and better games' in the first place, and continue searching for 'the one' ever since leaving those games?

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    /back to skyrim until TESO is out

gameplay > graphics

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261
    I enjoyed this game when it launched until I reached Max level then I became bored.  I've been back several times with new characters and always had fun during the leveling process.  This is sad to see go, it would have been nice if they made it free to play and actually expanded the game.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

ESO, probably.  The problem is that while you can offer three-faction (or in WAR's case, two) RvR style gameplay, it was only Warhammer Online that had the campaign that made it so integral to the experience. That back and forth tug of war between zones was a really compelling experience and I haven't been able to find one like it since.

Originally posted by Emeraq Can't you all just go back to the 'alternative style' that keeps getting mentioned.... DAOC.. Didn't they implement classic servers

hm.. well games like Champions of Regnum and DAOC, both 3 realms RvR open PvP are still great fun. People just like flashy and new things. But I prefer Regnum.

It's just a trendy thing to play new stuff, but it is probably a bit brainless.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I'd reccomend Darkfall.

Best MMO on the market, imo.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

ya im not really a fan of open world pvp, but the pvp in WAR was just about as close as you can get to perfect imo.

too bad there was /no/ real pve or crafting content to add to the mix and keep my interest up. i can't just pvp for hours on end for months at a time. i need some other activities to break up the monotony.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

ok it seems there is another alternative to Warhammer, Champions of Regnum, and DAOC.

Shadowbane Emu, a rebuild of the old very popular shadowbane mmo, and officially pproved by Ubisoft, is beta testing now and could be released to the public in the next few months.

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13668&p=192355#p192355

shadowbane is an open RvR sandbox pvp mmo. every player can build his own city and go to war against other players.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by ringdany

ok it seems there is another alternative to Warhammer, Champions of Regnum, and DAOC.

Shadowbane Emu, a rebuild of the old very popular shadowbane mmo, and officially pproved by Ubisoft, is beta testing now and could be released to the public in the next few months.

http://shadowbaneemulator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13668&p=192355#p192355

shadowbane is an open RvR sandbox pvp mmo. every player can build his own city and go to war against other players.

Why isn't Darkfall a valid alternative?

It's RvR, but the players form their own alliances, and create their own R's to RvR with.

It has city building and sieging, ship building and naval combat.

Your guild can build a city, or take someone elses city.

All the Ex- Warhammer players need to make an all Ork clan called WAAAAGGH.

It would be awesome.

Why isn't Darkfall a valid alternative? It's RvR, but the players form their own alliances, and create their own R's to RvR with. It has city building and sieging, ship building and naval combat. Your guild can build a city, or take someone elses city. All the Ex- Warhammer players need to make an all Ork clan called WAAAAGGH. It would be awesome.

mm.. well Darkfall is pay to play. Presently, regnum, daoc classic, aika, aion and shadowbane are all f2p. (shadowbane is only in beta). also, there is some news on reddit that darkfall 2 is dying due to internal corruption by the developers. apparently, they were handing out free items to their friends who sold them for real money. ick.

edit: read this thread for more info: http://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/1ljhew/state_of_the_game/