Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm on the fence. Please push me off!

I really can't decide if I want to pick up this game and give it a go. The graphics look great and the animations look well done. Classic tab action doesnt bother me either.

That being said it doesnt seem to be a finished product. I enjoy PvE as much as the next guy, but I also like lots of PvP. What kind of PvP is this game slated to have. Battlegrounds? Arenas? How will it be scaled? Will classes be balanced enough( this may be difficult to tell as of right now).  Does the game justify a box price and a monthly fee on top of that for what there is to do now?

I'm no one of those hardcore guys that rushes through content. I like to take my time and explore. Is there enough content to last me until the next update if I work at an average/slightly below average pace?

Any information on these questions would be great!

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Comments

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by CowboyHat

I really can't decide if I want to pick up this game and give it a go. The graphics look great and the animations look well done. Classic tab action doesnt bother me either.

That being said it doesnt seem to be a finished product. I enjoy PvE as much as the next guy, but I also like lots of PvP. What kind of PvP is this game slated to have. Battlegrounds? Arenas? How will it be scaled? Will classes be balanced enough( this may be difficult to tell as of right now).  Does the game justify a box price and a monthly fee on top of that for what there is to do now?

I'm no one of those hardcore guys that rushes through content. I like to take my time and explore. Is there enough content to last me until the next update if I work at an average/slightly below average pace?

The game is the most polished MMO i have seen release ever. I am not sure what you mean with finished, this is a FF game and judging by it's predecessor FFXI, we are looking at years of great expansions and content, some of which is already announced for 2.1 and coming out this year.

You will get your moneys worth for the price. Just give it a try.

PvP will be Arena, gladiator style as far as i know. But that might have changed and i do not check up on it since i am not interested in PvP content at all.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    My honest opinion is that it is a good game,but not worth a monthly sub.I feel there are games as good if not better that are ftp.Rift comes to mind.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    So by gladiator style you mean 1v1 arenas? That is sort of disappointing to hear. I was hoping there would be some team oriented pvp in the making.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

I think this game will be of short duration for many.  Just don't see it having staying power..   Part of the reason I think this is , its same old same old, combat is pretty slooooowwwwww . 2.50 Seconds for my attacks.

Ill keep playing for now, and hope it gets better, or at least until something really interesting comes out.  might be waiting till 2050 for that tho :-p

• tfogestfoges Member Posts: 9

this game is amazingly polished, you can play any and all classes with 1 character, and even mix skills between classes.

as of right now having played for 2 weeks about 2 hours a day i have 3 lvl 20 classes on my one toon, max lvl is 50, which retards rush to cuz the game has so much to offer.

as for pvp, they are scheduled to release 2 forms in 2,2 patch, and slated to release a future pvp style that has yet to be officially confirmed but go on reddit ect you'll find the third. first is basic arena, i think its 4v4 and 8v8 right now, and the second is a wvw style similar to gw2 between the 3 grand companies on each server. p.s. im pretty sure the third we'll be a open world pvp between either free companies or linkshells over housing/estates/castles ect. but nothing on this third form is confirmed so just guessing.

all in all, if you want a game to rush through hit 50 and start grinding dungeons/raids, dont bother, although alot of ppl did it and none have quit yet, but taking my time only lvl 20 after 2 weeks and still love it. p.s. some of the quests can get cookie cutter ish but what mmo isnt? what makes the quests different when they areso basic such as go kill 3 of these, is the dialogue from the quest giver, some of its funny as hell. also fates, dungeons, trials, story quests and classes quests to lvl, not stuck to just questing. most ppl fate grind to lvl btw.

good luck hope this helps.

edit: also, this is why ill stick with it, mmo's like wow added what 3/4 classes over 10 years? this games lead designer wants to pass the number of combat/magic classes than what was in ff11, in ff11 there were 21/22? right now in ff14 theres 8, so expect ALOT of new classes to be released. my votes on classes coming, ninja,thief,redmage,timemage,buccanear,cannonear,sniper,tinkerer, berserker. in that order is what i want XD

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    So by gladiator style you mean 1v1 arenas? That is sort of disappointing to hear. I was hoping there would be some team oriented pvp in the making.

There is an RvR type system in the works from what I hear.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

If this is true I'm sold. Anyone have confirmation/details?

as for pvp, they are scheduled to release 2 forms in 2,2 patch, and slated to release a future pvp style that has yet to be officially confirmed but go on reddit ect you'll find the third. first is basic arena, i think its 4v4 and 8v8 right now, and the second is a wvw style similar to gw2 between the 3 grand companies on each server.

should of read my post u.u

• WithnailWithnail Member UncommonPosts: 1
    If you like PvP then don't get this game. Pretty simple really. Whatever PvP they tack on probably won't be great and/or won't come for a very long time (eg Diablo3). I bought this game and played a bit. Tonnes of loading screens and invisible walls in the game and no swimming. Slow-ass combat nearly put me to sleep. The botched planning at launch also didn't exactly bolster my confidence in SE either. Maybe a third try and they'll get it right lol.

http://www.ffxivinfo.com/content/pvp.php

derp, i win.

p.s. withnail, if you cant afford the game and played the demo at bestbuy dont post. you got to play for 10 minutes. actually i should say walmart, lord knows whatever city your in cant afford the property tax to open a bestbuy.

Originally posted by tfoges

as for pvp, they are scheduled to release 2 forms in 2,2 patch, and slated to release a future pvp style that has yet to be officially confirmed but go on reddit ect you'll find the third. first is basic arena, i think its 4v4 and 8v8 right now, and the second is a wvw style similar to gw2 between the 3 grand companies on each server.

should of read my post u.u

I read your post but I was hoping someone would have more specifics. Arena doesn't sound to bad either as long as they keep it team oriented and not 1v1s.

ah that link is just what I needed. Thanks so much. Guess ill put in my order in the morning.

look at the link i posted above, ill post it again

also as for pvp in this game goes, no theif/ninjas yet, and when they do release i HIGHLY doubt they can go full invis. so no backstab, invis, backstab, dead in this game. however if a marauder can get a lock on your healer.....i wish you luck in the after life

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Withnail
    If you like PvP then don't get this game. Pretty simple really. Whatever PvP they tack on probably won't be great and/or won't come for a very long time (eg Diablo3). I bought this game and played a bit. Tonnes of loading screens and invisible walls in the game and no swimming. Slow-ass combat nearly put me to sleep. The botched planning at launch also didn't exactly bolster my confidence in SE either. Maybe a third try and they'll get it right lol.

One post just to say this? Really?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Originally posted by Withnail

The game has PvP just so you know, look up Wolves Den it was in Beta Test Phase 4. 

Mystery Bounty

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

There is team based arenas in the first patch 2.1.

If you like to craft and gather, this is a great choice. If you like hard trinity, classic cc mechanics, slow, positional combat, this is a great choice. If you're a final fantasy fan, this is the most true to its roots final fantasy game in a while.

There are a lot of loading screens. There are a lot of missing quality of life features. The side quests are mostly generic.

I feel the pros outweigh the cons. Honestly for me it is the best mmo since star wars galaxies. But I am the first to admit I'm not a typical mmo gamer. I enjoy playing mmos as a day in the life journal of an average person. Carving out a place in the world as humble tradesman. Seriously I geek out on that role and ffxiv is a perfect venue for it heh.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Distopia

If this is true I'm sold. Anyone have confirmation/details?

There's plenty of content and your pace would be perfect for the game to avoid the end game burn out others are experiencing at the moment. I am awaiting the patch myself and deliberately playing at a similar slower pace, but from what I gather the game shows more promise compared to all the more recent and upcoming MMOs. IMO, the game justifies the box price and monthly fee - you'll get your money's worth. That said, If you are in no rush I would still advise you to wait until the PVP patch. The would give you less biased and more critical feedback  from players who have experienced the game for more than a few weeks. A trial period would be handy for you to judge yourself, but that kind of feedback should more or less suffice.

For your questions on PVP:

1. Patch 2.1 to 2.3 notes (includes the arena pvp):

http://zantetsuken.net/news/final-fantasy-xivs-patch-future-2-1-2-2-and-beyond

2. Info on the 3-way PVP (not mentioned in the 2.1 to 2.3 notes)

http://www.warcry.com/news/view/124889-Final-Fantasy-14-Letter-Live-at-E3-Details-PVP-and-More#tqv01AJK3BUrmdGM.99

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Slappy1
    My honest opinion is that it is a good game,but not worth a monthly sub.I feel there are games as good if not better that are ftp.Rift comes to mind.

One would think that whether a game is worth a continued subscription fee depends mostly on the content that comes post-release, you know, the content that comes after you put in money beyond the box price to play the game.

I can't really think of a ftp MMO that shines in the post-release content update department. There's a ton of updates planned for ARR for the next year, financed by the sub fee. If you don't trust SE to deliver (like they have proven to deliver with ARR) then don't sub, just wait and see.

All in all, this kind of thinking makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

To the OP, there's really nothing wrong with the game. There are flaws, every game has them, you can't escape them, and if you can't deal with them, don't buy the game. Really, if it is this difficult to make the decision then that tells me a lot at least. It doesn't even cost the full price of a normal game.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

buy the game and play for a month,only bad thing is the targeting its like wow you first have to click on target.

its something to do till better games come along.

the game is good enough that you will want to create 2 caracters and do different jobs.

the world is huge and pretty.it will keep you busy for a view months.

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

There is no PvP and if there ever is it will be a gigantic mess and probably just an  BG style thing. 

Its a PvE game and does that ok...

• NleonNleon Member UncommonPosts: 28

Bot parties, gold sellers spamming walls of text, hacked accounts which lead to destroyed economies and ill communities.

And all these because their customer service is abysmal. They do nothing. Absolutely nothing.

If you really want to try this game, try it after one month...if the customer service hasn't burnt it to ashes until then.

As for pvp, this is final fantasy we are talking about so probably there are better options out there.

Here is a video of an early beta arena type pvp :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZr2coYAt4w

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I would say if you are undecided....don't play it .

FRONTLINE a major addition is coming that will add a realm vs realm faction conflict(voluntary) to the game in the coming months.

Do what you are doing...read read read and discuss. No one should have to talk you into buying a game.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    SE said there will be content updates every 3 months so i suggest buy this game around december or jan next year. The game isn't worth the sub and if you want to just spend 30 bucks to play for couple of weeks it is up to you.
  • CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Just don't buy into the Fate zergs and you'll do fine.   Do them at your own pace.   Everyone has this annoying urge to rush to 50. 

I got all of my jobs to at least level 10 for the great shared abilities in those first few levels.  I've harvested vegetables and caught fish to cook.  Sometimes I just login and fish for 30 minutes to relax.  After a month my highest level is a 34 White mage.  The next closest jobs are a 28 archer and 20 gladiator.  

Do the main storyline quests, save sidequests for your DPS classes.  Healers and tanks can find groups easily.  If you like running dungeons you'll get decent xp and have very little wait.  Guildleves are mostly fun group activities as well.  I'm enjoying the game thus far.  I enjoy switching back and forth leveling different jobs, working on my fishing, and cooking up some new dishes.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

OP, unfortunately this is the type of game that you either like it or don't and the only way to tell is to buy it and play it. I bought, played and didn't like. The 2.5 sec GC doesn't match the Asian style combat animations and I couldn't get passed it. I tried multiple classes and just could not get into the game.

If you are on the fence my advice would be to wait for the trial before you purchase.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Cernan

Just don't buy into the Fate zergs and you'll do fine.   Do them at your own pace.   Everyone has this annoying urge to rush to 50. 

Its called human nature for finding the best and most efficient ways of completing tasks with smallest risk.

FATE grinding delivers on all fronts - fastest XP, zero risk, all classes welcome, no need too wait for hours.

Dungeons runs - long waits, takes 30min to complete, crappy loot, way too much pointless trash with too much HP for what purpose? Oh and to add insult to injury - crappy XP.

If dungeons were not part of the storyline - I'd say almost nobody would run them, they are that boring IMO.

If you don't do fates you are simply screwing yourself out of much better way of progressing.

I agree.

And not everyone is interested in leveling multiple jobs. A lot of players like to focus on one and if you are doing that it takes roughly 2 weeks to hit 50. That is not rushing but making use of ample xp that FATES provide to players. It would be foolish to not do FATES unless people artificially want to slow down their progression in order to force some longevity in game play.