Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Notice of Shutdown Posted

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by jawali
    I have mixed feelings about this. I loved this game, than hated it, but will never forget the fun I had with the pvp. Maybe someone uses the WAR license in good way in the future. I hope so.

Well, they are making Warhammer 40K................that's why they had to shut this game.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    game sux, and the warhammer 40K will fail as well

gameplay > graphics

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    It takes a lot of time, money, and effort to convert a sub game to a f2p game.  I figure they felt it was just not worth it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Depressing. Despite all its issues, there still isn't a PvP MMO out there that does it for me the way WAR did. I wish they would have done more to rescue it.

I feel ya, EA Imo once again forced a good game out to soon.

• HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    It's kinda funny and sad how there are so many MMOs out there and not one captures the true need and want of gamers like games from 10-15 years ago. Ultima Online is a great example of what people loved, where is it in today's mmo? :(
  • coldandnumbcoldandnumb Member CommonPosts: 90

I'm always amazed at all the "support" these games get when they announce they are shutting down. Maybe if the game had all this "support" over it's lifetime it would not be shutting down now.

I played war at launch thought it had potential but was terribly flawed in many ways and it seemed no one ever cared to fix anything in the game not to mention all the initial promises that they made before launch and never delivered a single one.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

@EA hope Nurgle takes care of you!

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    =/
  • zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by HikaruShidou
    It's kinda funny and sad how there are so many MMOs out there and not one captures the true need and want of gamers like games from 10-15 years ago. Ultima Online is a great example of what people loved, where is it in today's mmo? :(

Corporations/Companies like EA saw  $$ in them ,for the most part. Most early MMOs (EQ,UO,DAoC)  were maid by not very big companies that were in it to make a GOOD game because they knew that a good game would already make them $$, and bring good word of mouth/more people.

But (my observation) when WoW hit it big with the dollars...that was the end of it. Churn&Turn (pump out MMOs). I have enjoyed many MMOs since those, but none have come close to the early mmos in feel/essence.

some where there was a list of MMO releases by year and 1997 was like 3-5 , and between 2010-2012 was like 10-20+

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Kedoremos Meanwhile, DAoC is still alive.
    for both WAR and DAOC I was hoping for a ftp option

WAR was saddled w the Games Workshop license

DAOC doesnt have that ip handicap so who knows ...

omg no, please just no. I mean ok it is too late for WAR but please don't go and ruin DAoC by bringing the F2P crowd in. Terrible idea imo.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Paying my respects. RIP.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Game had never been on my radar or anyone else in my clan despite its obvious production value and good ip. Strange that. I gave it a shot for about a day and it never really left much of an impression and even in the mmo world it didn't leave much of a mark. Hardly anyone spoke about it and even as it shuts down most are shrugging their shoulders in indifference. What was it this game lacked?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah war hammer pnp was special back in the day. Hundreds of professions. Maybe we can get a new more like the pnp version and less like wow.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I played WAR for about 9 months.

Eventually the instability of the servers at high load got to everybody, along with the poor LOS issues.

My guild decided to move to AION which had it's own problems... another story.

Ultimately, WAR was a great game for PVPers and much was learned and copied.

I still have fond memories and to be honest, there's nothing that came out since that hasn't learned from their efforts.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    About time. Just another could'a, would'a, should'a.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

That sucks, but it became inevitable.  I loved WAR when it was in closed beta.  The focus testing put all of the players into specific areas, and there were massive battles (assuming you didn't CTD)!  I still remember charging behind enemy lines as a Swordmaster shouting "Kill their healers!"  I died a lot, and I'm not sure how much I helped my allies, but it was fun.

I will miss the early days of WAR, when it was new and exciting and I was deluded with glee for Warhammer.  I really hope the developers and staff have better luck with future projects!

Goodbye WAR :(

• GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

Seriously? WAR had one of the best pvp battlegrounds! They should've focused more on fixing the game than giving up on it and make it go to f2p.. It could've been saved. Better yet, they could've had other publishers (NOT GAME WORKSHOP) take over and make it f2p -_- 

WAR needs to be saved! 

Fire Game Workshop and some of the EA staff who has been the most irresponsible, brownnosing, proscrinating losers!

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by Grrl

Seriously? WAR had one of the best pvp battlegrounds! They should've focused more on fixing the game than giving up on it and make it go to f2p.. It could've been saved. Better yet, they could've had other publishers (NOT GAME WORKSHOP) take over and make it f2p -_- 

WAR needs to be saved! 

Fire Game Workshop and some of the EA staff who has been the most irresponsible, brownnosing, proscrinating losers!

I'd like to agree but you just can't recover that easily. The game had serious issues that were never addressed quick enough.

Other games came along so quickly that people defected to never go back.

You have one chance generally in this industry, if you blow it, you really blow it. Look at SWTOR.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Depressing. Despite all its issues, there still isn't a PvP MMO out there that does it for me the way WAR did. I wish they would have done more to rescue it.

I tried it at launch. WAR PvP, IMO, was terrible. It's everything that is wrong with MMOs and immersion. Ugh... instanced pvp

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

It's truly a shame. I actually "liked" Warhammer Online. I didn't play it past the free month after I had bought the game about a month after the game launched because I didn't think it was worth the sub (considering all the issues and whatnot), but that game could've really become something. If only they had at least changed to a F2P model they could've made more revenue and likely keep the license.

Loved the Squig Herder. :p

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    So does this mean AoC beat out WAR? I remember the gigantic rival they both had - since they launched nearly at the same time.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

I tried it at launch. WAR PvP, IMO, was terrible. It's everything that is wrong with MMOs and immersion. Ugh... instanced pvp

I'm going to have to agree with this. Keep swapping and knockbacks into lava in instanced pvp matches with empty RVR lakes was by no means all that great. Add on combat and mythic seconds along with dreadful pve and the only thing you can give credit to is the Warhammer licence for keeping this alive as long as it did.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122
    This is pretty darn sad. It was a great game for those that stuck around and waited for a lot of the bugs to be fixed. To this date, it is still without a doubt the best PvP, and RvR MMO I've ever played and in my opinion that has ever been released. Based off their decision, I guess changing it to F2P won't be profitable. A shame, I'd go back in a heart beat. 
  • icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105

The funny thing was, WAR is known for its PvP.

Yet the #1 thing I want a game to copy for PvE comes from WAR.  the Tome of Knowledge is the best handling of achievements the genre has seen (and ever will see I bet) because it tied them into lore.  It was absolutely birlliant in concpet and the execution was good.

And has any MMO feature had a greater impact than public quests?  WAR will be known for its PvP, but its legacy is PvE.  Without WAR, Rift and GW2 are much different games.

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Robokapp

WAR and its twin brother AOC are interesting case studies. they were born as WoW-Killers, and while WoW's population did take a hit, it was not due to them.

so what can MMO players and developers learn from this ?

the 'just like X but better' only worked once. eq-wow. it's not a good place to look for 'yet another mmo'. got to go different. if we want wow, we have wow. if we dont then we dont want 'like wow'.

WoW and EQ are almost nothing alike other than the fact they come from the same genre of MMORPG.  WoW and EQ2 are similar however.  And EQ players mostly HATED EQ2 because it was such a drastic change from EQ1.