Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO for a former WoW-chick & forever solo-RPG fan?

124»

Comments

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by scarlettx 

And thanks for the LOTRO server recommendation! So far I've downloaded Rift and Tera from all the awesome F2P recommendations, and LOTRO is next on my list. :)

I'm on Faeblight in Rift and Landroval on Lotro if you are looking for someone to quest with.  Just send me an in-game mail or whisper if I'm online.  Rift is really easy to pick up.  Lotro has a little more of a learning curve due to the soon-defunct deed/trait system.  So I can answer any questions about either game you might have.

Character in Rift is Hanrad and in Lotro is Dagothol if you want to add me to friend list.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Karteli

Help me pop my MMORPG forum cherry by recommending me what would be only my 2nd MMO experience! (WoW being the first and only).

Looking for free-to-play, ideally. Very curious about GW2 but waiting till the Xmas sales roll 'round to see if I can score a great deal on the deluxe edition.

You might find GW2 to your likings..

It's very solo oriented, and people claim it's social .. while some don't .. it just depends on your definition of what social it... to GW2 fans, being social is the act of simply playing the same game others also play, with no interaction.

Do you consider actively talking to people you come across, then seeing where they are later on and joining them?  If so GW2 might not be for you then (can't see where anyone in the game is, no /who command).

Do you like to be a valued part of a group?  Erm, if so, GW2 might not be for you .. everyone is the same, nobody is important to a group.

Do you like to just log on occasionally, never care if others around you are players or NPC's .. just log on, do stuff, and log off?  GW2 is for you!!  With short stays, some people take liberties at rudeness too, since nothing matters.  Ohh those casuals!!

Having actually played it(played for the first 6-7 months... left because of RL issues, and never went back) I can't agree with any of his points highlighted in orange. Firstly, if there is someone you "come across" that you want to hook up with later, chances are that unless you added them to your friend list. Not only that, but you can add people one-way(they don't need to approve you), and you can see people who've added you one-way. I am not sure if they have a /who command, but I know there was a way to search players because I remember rerolling and messaging random high lvls in my class for some quick advice.

As for being part of a group, if you accept his premise then the question should better be phrased as "do you want to be valued for your skill as a player, or because you are healbot/tankbot?" While there are no dedicated healers or tanks, saying everyone is the same is so grossly misleading as to be ridiculous. Proper use of your class is still key, and the game rewards good play.

Do some people log on, do their own thing, and then log off without caring if there are any actual players in the game? Yes, and they can do so... as long as they don't want to do any dungeons. All of the world content can either be soloed, or you can tag along with any other players without having to be part of their group. That being said, many people(I won't say most since I don't know most of the people who play, but I do know what I would consider many) find the social aspect important, and guilds important. They want to run dungeons(and once you PUG a dungeon and have a really good run with someone, chances are they will invite you for additional runs, and possibly invite you to their guild), etc... And that is always easier with people you know, and can trust to do what they need to, that random people in PUGs.

I didn't subscribe to the idea that GW2 was the second coming before it came out, and I am not going to try and sell you on its good points, because a lot of the stuff is purely subjective.

What I will say is that GW2 is one of the few games I feel comfortable saying is unique. I've played a good number of the games that are currently out, and that one stands out.

PS: I've seen some people recommend FFXIV:ARR... I bought it, I even subbed... I am not renewing after the sub ends. I enjoyed it for the brief stints in the betas. But having played it since release now, it palls very fast. Part of the problem is the pace of combat(there is a 2.5s global cooldown between every action), there are MAJOR economy problems(as in no money entering the economy once people finish the main quest line, and at lvl 50 repair bills in the range of 40k-50k), and having leveled 4 crafting professions up over 30(not very difficult) it just gets grindy. A good example is a weaver. for one recipe I might need 3 cloth and 2 spools of thread. The cloth is made up of 2x spools of thread each. So if I need to make 20 of those to level that is 160 spools of thread, and then 60 cloth. Now that wouldn't be so bad, except doing thread and cloth 15 levels below mine(where I have 100% success doing it manually) I either have to do that for an extended period of time, or I use their auto-synthesis... which gives me less than 1/2 of the xp I get from doing it manually, and actually FAILS even though there is that level difference and I would normally have 100% success doing it manually.

IS that a rant? yes... sorry bout that. ;p

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Looking for free-to-play, ideally. 

Hardly you will find QUALITY in F2P. You can not get in queue with cup in hand and waiting for your turn to get some bad soup poured in and expect to be satisfied.

So an MMO that's solo-friendly would also be ideal, but having an active community would be aces for down the road. PvP isn't much my thing, nor role play. 

They are ALL nowadays. And I'm happy about. :-) Exception is FF 11 with forced grouping.

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

Help me pop my MMORPG forum cherry by recommending me what would be only my 2nd MMO experience! (WoW being the first and only).

Looking for free-to-play, ideally. Very curious about GW2 but waiting till the Xmas sales roll 'round to see if I can score a great deal on the deluxe edition. Where my WoW experience is concerned, I played for about 6 months but left as my rag-tag guild was dying out and we were never able to get enough people leveled to experience end-game content. (I was the only one out of 12 or so who was leveling a toon for the 1st time; the rest were coming back from extended hiatuses.) To be honest, what I enjoyed most about WoW was the stuff that my guildies complained about: questing, crafting, and rollin' in the gold. Toward the end, I was only logging on to play the AH, which definitely wasn't worth my subscription fee.

So an MMO that's solo-friendly would also be ideal, but having an active community would be aces for down the road. PvP isn't much my thing, nor role play.

And as for my general gaming preferences, I'm a hardcore fan of the Mass Effect trilogy, as well as the Elder Scrolls games, Fallout 3, Dishonored, Dragon Age Origins, and Deus Ex. Not sure if anything quite along those combined lines exists in MMOs, but I'd love to find it. Suggestions?

Guild Wars 2, RIFT, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Lord of the Rings Online. RIFT is your best bet I think.

• scarlettxscarlettx Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by icculus2112

I need to read more about the EQ2 membership options. Is Gold the only way to go, or can you enjoy the game for a good long while on Free/Silver?

This depends entirely on you.  The content is all unlocked until much higher up.  However you cant equip the best gear without being gold or purchasing an unlocker (for 33 cents, or less if you buy your station cash on double days).  Also EQ2 has tiers of spells, and you cant use the highest tier as a silver member.  However, using fabled gear and master spells is 100% unnecessary until max level.  You don't need it.  the option many people (subscribers) use for low/mid levels, crafted gear/spells, is available to use.  So you can use that.

What people tend to not like is getting a dungeon drop (occasionally a quest reward) they cant use.   If you think you wouldn't mind this, then the system should work for you.  I would recommend getting the silver upgrade for 5 bucks though.

Thanks for all the great information, Icculus. I'm sure I'll be checking out EQ2 before long. Think I've finally decided on giving Rift a go as my first F2P. The familiarity to WoW, amongst other points, makes it very appealing.

Originally posted by MMOman101

Now if you want to jump at a FTP that is a bit odd, but a ton of fun, I would suggest Vanguard.  I have not played in a long time, but I still think all MMO players should play Vanguard for ~6 months.  It is a game only a few can play for years, but the depth and breath of the game puts almost all other MMOs to shame.   Vanguard will not be around forever, so if you are in a transition MMO period I highly suggest you you play it.

Interesting, MMOman! I think you may have been the first to suggest Vanguard; you said it won't be around forever though. Are the servers being shut down at some point, or has the game popularity never really taken off?

Originally posted by RebelScum99

I'm on Faeblight in Rift and Landroval on Lotro if you are looking for someone to quest with.  Just send me an in-game mail or whisper if I'm online.  Rift is really easy to pick up.  Lotro has a little more of a learning curve due to the soon-defunct deed/trait system.  So I can answer any questions about either game you might have.

Character in Rift is Hanrad and in Lotro is Dagothol if you want to add me to friend list.

Cheers, RebelScum! :)

Originally posted by Mors-Subita

I didn't subscribe to the idea that GW2 was the second coming before it came out, and I am not going to try and sell you on its good points, because a lot of the stuff is purely subjective.

What I will say is that GW2 is one of the few games I feel comfortable saying is unique. I've played a good number of the games that are currently out, and that one stands out.

Always appreciate the alternating viewpoints, Mors-Subita. The idea that GW2 stands out is appealing, especially as many of the others I've found interest in (Rift, Tera, Aion, etc) have been described as very WoW-inspired. As mentioned, I'll likely pick up GW2 during the holidays this year. Looking forward to it!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

questing, crafting, and rollin' in the gold.

Definitelly GW2. It feels so much better than the traditional ! quest since the entire game revolves around dynamic questing. Solo friendly but grouping is actually fun as well. There are no raids tho. Still worth every penny. Crafting isnt as good as FF14 but is better than the rest of the traditional crafting out there as well and it has a nice discovery feature like Skyrim where you mix some materials to discover new craftings. Its a fun game.

MMO-wise i cant recommend anything else based on what you want other than WoW and FFXIV:ARR. Nothing else right now in the market is as good.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    EQ2 is definately worth giving a go. It is free top to bottom and alot of content is included for being free.

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by rojo6934

questing, crafting, and rollin' in the gold.

Definitelly GW2. It feels so much better than the traditional ! quest since the entire game revolves around dynamic questing. Solo friendly but grouping is actually fun as well. There are no raids tho. Still worth every penny. Crafting isnt as good as FF14 but is better than the rest of the traditional crafting out there as well and it has a nice discovery feature like Skyrim where you mix some materials to discover new craftings. Its a fun game.

MMO-wise i cant recommend anything else based on what you want other than WoW and FFXIV:ARR. Nothing else right now in the market is as good.

I don't really like GW2.

However i consider it quite easily the best MMO released in the last 9 years.  i just very strongly dislike the whole no-trinity thing (at least the way GW2 has done it) and the combat lacks the depth Im used to in a game like WoW or EQ2 (this so far is a major drawback to action combat).  But instead of like some people I dont say GW2 SUX because it doesnt.  its extremely well made.  It just wasnt designed for a player like me in mind.  Maybe its designed for you, op?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    If OP would have said "MMO for former WoW dude" it would have gotten maybe 5 replies...By adding that you're a chick this should reach 100 easy.
  • scarlettxscarlettx Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    If OP would have said "MMO for former WoW dude" it would have gotten maybe 5 replies...By adding that you're a chick this should reach 100 easy.

And yet, not a single fella who has responded has sent me a "boobs or GTFO" private message. I must be losing my touch. ;)

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys (and gals?) I started playing RIFT and it's hella fun so far! I'm sure I'll be checking out GW2, EQ2, TSW, SWTOR, LOTRO, Tera, Aion, and others before the year is out. You all rock. <3

• CeppanaCeppana Member UncommonPosts: 23

I would suggest something totally different from the games suggested so far, to add variety :P

Path of Exile is awesome game. Its isometric view game (think diablo series), its free2play and its from small indie developer. The cash shop sells ONLY cosmetic items, there is no way to buy power. It is instance-based gameplay, as in you can see other people only in towns, so if you want to solo and not be bothered with anyone you can do that. I would say it is solo friendly (I have soloed through the 3 acts it offers at the moment (they said they had plans to add up to 10 acts). You can team up though if you want (might be best for new players for some bosses). Also it doesn't have gold as currency, PoE has barter system whcih basically means that you trade items for items. Even NPC's gives you said "currency" items. Overall the game is excellent game.

My 2nd suggestion has been said already which is Warframe. It has balanced cash shop in my opinion, cash shoppers jsut gets stuff faster and sues shortcuts to get items. Only thing, as far as I know, you can't get with in-game currency is the color pallets and some currency and exp boosters. 

If you have time, both of these games are  worth to try.