Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Notice of Shutdown Posted

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Minjie
    How the hell is DAOC still alive, its alot older than warhammer, i returned to it a couple months ago and most zones were completely deserted, besides the cities and rvr zones of course... maybe daocs time is coming soon?

DAOC doesn't have to pay anything for the use of the IP, WAR does.

So, i guess, as long as it's making some money, there's no reason to shut it down.

Mythic was doing nothing with the game.  I can imagine GW might want to give another game company a shot at bringing out a Warhammer MMO that'll actually make money.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Minjie
    How the hell is DAOC still alive, its alot older than warhammer, i returned to it a couple months ago and most zones were completely deserted, besides the cities and rvr zones of course... maybe daocs time is coming soon?

They don't have to pay a licensing fee for DAOC.   Heck games workshop could have just refused to renew the license.

• BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154

Still the best RvR/PvP mmo (Yes, including DAoC) for myself. I consider it in my top three MMO's based purely off of enjoyment. I would have stuck around had EA not gutted near the entire team to try and save SWTOR's PvP.

The writing was on the wall that this was coming. The last month or two, if I understood the WAR forums correctly from my brief visit, WAR has had no developers assigned or any response from staff. In addition they had lengthy time cards removed and many of the origin stores didn't bother to list WAR things for sale any more.

I really wish WAR went F2P. If only it were another IP, one with less weight, then a company like GamersFirst could buy it up.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    EA!  So awesome, wins again.
  • rpm1986rpm1986 Member Posts: 7
    It's not fair, warhammer had the potential to be something great, if it wasn't for EAs greedy launch when the game wasn't even ready. Yet they never even considered to make the game f2p to see if it attracted more players. But with swtor they made the move 1 year later. It's not fair that warhammer gets to be shut down and forgotten while the pile of crap that is wow with lightsabers keeps on living.
  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Depressing. Despite all its issues, there still isn't a PvP MMO out there that does it for me the way WAR did. I wish they would have done more to rescue it.

i think they decided to shut it down instead of saving it as F2P because Swtor is not doing well with their awful hybrid model. Since Mythic is also part of EA they just opted to let it die. My opinion, of course.

I never played SWG but i remember when it shut down SOE said the license ended, then EA took the license and made Swtor. Now WAR's license is ending, i hope a better company gets revives it or make a better version. I would definitelly have played this game without a sub.

Bioware offered Lucasarts 20% more on the Star Wars License to make to TOR, LA thought well were getting more out of Bioware so they went to SOE and asked them for 20% more and SOE declined, hence the closure of SWG. SOE tried to negoitate for a more fairer price but LA wouldn't budge. So blame Bioware for SWG's closure, not that TOR is doing well today anyway , and a little inside info say Bioware is trying to get out of the contract with Disney so you may see TOR get shut down in the next couple of years.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    If you read the statement it about Games Workshop not renewing the license, not that Warhammer wasn't profitable. Its probably a mutual agreement like with SWG as there is a Warhammer 40K MMO coming out. Though with it being left to fester for so long, business is a brutal world sometimes and the cost of fixing such a badly conceived and executed game far outweighed any chance they would redeem their time and money by attempting to fix it. Sad but sometimes you just have to let things die. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Am just sitting here looking at my preorder copy in my games collection. God I wanted this game to be good so much. When I think of what it could  have been and what it ended up like it almost makes me as angry as when Fox canceled Firefly.  The truth is as others have mentioned I think is that it just wasn't good enough and then it was abandoned. Still, I know it had more than a few loyal players so if you are one of them you have my sympathies if that means anything. Always sucks to loose your game. 

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I played in the beta for over a year and a half. They took out about 60% of the gear that was in the beta right before the launch. You were able to get a full purple set of gear at lvl 11 from killing players and buy it off of merchants when you got the rank to do so. I really had more fun in the beta then I did after the game launched. This game could've been great but Mythic dropped the ball on it about as bad as they did with DAoC and their new frontiers and trials of crap expansions.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Should have just made DAOC 2 like we all said years ago. Had some fun in it, but it still was a far second in rvr to DAOCs.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by jordiincraas
    they're prob shutting down to make room for the new Warhammer MMO thats in the works (warhammer 40k). Like what Star Wars did. Also maybe this means they're go back to the game they dropped for this one. The based on what if the roman empire never died... I wanna say Imperator? maybe

This is also true, as I tried to explain many times in the SWG case, you cannot have 2 MMOs with the same IP running at the same time because of licensing rights reasons.

Except Warhammer and Warhammer 40k are two different IP's created by the same company.

So where exactly is the licensing conflict???

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    FREE THE CODE!!!!
  • ArrowXArrowX Member Posts: 1
    I played this game from shortly after launch till SWTOR release, sure it had it's problems and I played the gimpiest class of all time the SW! Why did I play for so long? The class was fun to play and open world RVR lead by competent WB leaders was the most satisfying of all mmo's I've played. Pity it's long standing issues (and there were many) weren't addressed.
  • BeadmanBeadman Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Knights of the Blazing Sun ftw! The only game I ever enjoyed tanking in. I had a friend text me another article of this announcement. He hasn't even played the game in a year. We both knew it wouldn't happen, but we liked to talk like we would come back once the game went F2P.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

A lesson to all developers, beware using someone else's IP, because the licensing fees will eventually be unprofitable to keep the game running.  

Secondly, only a fool works with Games workshop, one of the worst IP owners out there.

Whoever said greedy EA has it all wrong, it is greedy Games Workshop

Originally posted by sayuu
    they're prob shutting down to make room for the new Warhammer MMO thats in the works (warhammer 40k). Like what Star Wars did. Also maybe this means they're go back to the game they dropped for this one. The based on what if the roman empire never died... I wanna say Imperator? maybe

This is also true, as I tried to explain many times in the SWG case, you cannot have 2 MMOs with the same IP running at the same time because of licensing rights reasons.

Except Warhammer and Warhammer 40k are two different IP's created by the same company.

How many gamers do you think know there is a difference between Warhammer and Warhammer 40K outside of Warhammer fans?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Some great zones, and classes, but ultimately too restricted.

Anyone remember this version by Climax before Mythic's version?

Warhammer online (Climax)

Wonder how that would have turned out instead?

Creepy, dark, gritty............... that's Warhammer.

I am sure it would have been more successful than WAR, but  Games Workshop deided they wanted something more WoWish, so they gave the IP rights to Mythic.

Good job..................... (/sarcasm)

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Some great zones, and classes, but ultimately too restricted.

Anyone remember this version by Climax before Mythic's version?

Warhammer online (Climax)

Wonder how that would have turned out instead?

Creepy, dark, gritty............... that's Warhammer.

I am sure it would have been more successful than WAR, but  Games Workshop deided they wanted something more WoWish, so they gave the IP rights to Mythic.

Good job..................... (/sarcasm)

Didn't Mythic just take over development when Climax died?

Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by sayuu

How many gamers do you think know there is a difference between Warhammer and Warhammer 40K outside of Warhammer fans?

Correct.................but it doesn't even matter.

IP licensing is not about the product, it is about the name (brand).

As long as the game has the name Warhammer in it, it can't be used in any other MMO.

When you acquire a licence, you are technically renting the brand, in the hope that the brand popularity alone will attract more customers.

That's why companies pay a premium to acquire a popular brand (name), rather than developing games with a new IP.

Warcraft is basically Warhammer, but Blizzard changed its name so they can use  the same lore to make their game without paying for a licence.

You can copy a product, but you can't copy a name (brand)

Licensing is all about the name (brand).

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    i always suspected that GW2 would be the death of WAR

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Depressing. Despite all its issues, there still isn't a PvP MMO out there that does it for me the way WAR did. I wish they would have done more to rescue it.

i think they decided to shut it down instead of saving it as F2P because Swtor is not doing well with their awful hybrid model. Since Mythic is also part of EA they just opted to let it die. My opinion, of course.

I never played SWG but i remember when it shut down SOE said the license ended, then EA took the license and made Swtor. Now WAR's license is ending, i hope a better company gets revives it or make a better version. I would definitelly have played this game without a sub.

Maybe Blizzard will buy it...Oh wait they already have a Warhammer based MMO.

Originally posted by Calerxes

Didn't Mythic just take over development when Climax died?

More likely Climax died after Games Workshop changed their mind and decided to give the license to a more "experienced" team.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246
    I bet there will be another one in development.  Notice how the producer stated that the license agreement was coming to an end.  Another company actually has the rights for the Warhammer MMO IP now (at least for Warhammer 40k).  So its probably a safe bet that WAR will shutdown but in a few years another will take its place or be announced.  Same thing happened to Star Wars.  The big reason why SWG closed down was because SOE couldn't renew the license for that caliber of an MMO (I don't really count clone wars, its more interactive star wars mini-games in a clone wars universe than mmo).

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
  • jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195
    I have mixed feelings about this. I loved this game, than hated it, but will never forget the fun I had with the pvp. Maybe someone uses the WAR license in good way in the future. I hope so.

• garbol87garbol87 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I shed a manly tear. Such wasted potential...

Playing: Rift
    Wating For: Guild Wars 2
    Played: World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons & Dragons Online, Age of Conan.