Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Beyond Infinity Launched

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds has announced that the latest game update to Rift has launched as of today, Wednesday, September 18th. Called "Beyond Infinity", the update brings a host of new content and several new features into the critically acclaimed MMO.

Key features include:

• Planebreaker Bastion – A new raid!

• The Infinity Gate – A new raid!

• Realm of Twisted Dreams – A new 5-man dungeon!

• Infernal Dawn: Laethys – A new chronicle!

• PVP Prestige Rank 90

• Cross-Shard Instant Adventure

• New Barbershop Options

Read more on the Rift site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I remember when Rift was the "talk of the town"...now not so much..

On the surface, it has everything and more you would want from a wow generation themepark. And Yet it lacks something at least for me, and apparently others.

Maybe the community is just moving past this era, 2 raids, 2 dungeons does not sound very appealing to me.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• I feel like new expansion around to corner..
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

I'm in the same camp as Nitth. On the face of it this game has got more or less everything.

One of the most flexible class systems around, dungeons, raids, free expansions, good variety of end game activities, rifts, etc etc

.......but it seems there's a spark that's just not there. And to me it's a pity, as Trion have gained a a good reputation.

It may just be that if people want to play a wow type game - they'll play wow. What that says about ffxiv's longevity?

• redrain84redrain84 Member UncommonPosts: 88
    @ Nitth and Nitth  So you two would rather play wow?
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I would rather play GW2,
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by redrain84

Well strictly speaking, your post only mentioned one.

However, that's missing the point. It's not Nitth or myself or both of us - it's player numbers. Two people here or there don't make a game popular or otherwise. Rift lost players, lost servers, lost it's sub model. It takes a whole crowd of player exits to do that.

The comments where about Rift seeming to have everything a themepark would need, yet still seeming to have that bit of magic missing. Maybe it's just because it was too formulaic, too similar, I don't know.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I am playing Rift at the moment, but I have to agree with others.

Rift is good, but it lacks soul.................. if it wasn't free, I wouldn't play it.

• pekshmaerpekshmaer Member Posts: 58
    pfffffffffff ahahahah...what are you all talking about?

hmm

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Nitth

On the surface, it has everything and more you would want from a wow generation themepark. And Yet it lacks something at least for me, and apparently others.

Maybe the community is just moving past this era, 2 raids, 2 dungeons does not sound very appealing to me.

One of the big turn offs for me was the lack of personality/charm in everything. Everything was done well for the most part, but Rift felt like such a 'paint by numbers' fantasy.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

I'm in the same camp as Nitth. On the face of it this game has got more or less everything.

One of the most flexible class systems around, dungeons, raids, free expansions, good variety of end game activities, rifts, etc etc

.......but it seems there's a spark that's just not there. And to me it's a pity, as Trion have gained a a good reputation.

It may just be that if people want to play a wow type game - they'll play wow. What that says about ffxiv's longevity?

I felt like why bother since I already had WoW.  They copy paste so many WoW concepts that they just shot themselves in the foot and can't figure out why they are bleeding.

Sad really because they do genuinely put the effort in - just after Dark Age of Camelot I was spoiled (if that makes no sense to you then I can't really explain it quickly).

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Dunno, I'm playing Rift and it doesn't feel any more soulless than WoW or any other AAA themepark.

I'm loving Dimensions, which is where I spend most of my game time and currency, and the PvE is fun enough for making more coin to sustain my dimension habit. I'm an oddball player though, since I don't grind anything and only do crafting dailies to level alts.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by ste2000

I am playing Rift at the moment, but I have to agree with others.

Rift is good, but it lacks soul.................. if it wasn't free, I wouldn't play it.

Yeah could never get into this game....Was way too much of a themepark for my tastes....Going from quest hub to quest hub is about as boring as it gets in a MMO.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Go rift!

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I would rather play GW2,

Both games are dull, but Rift is a much more balanced game, and there is enough there to keep someone interested beyond a few months, unlike GW2.  

Still, as posters up above have said, there seems to be that missing "something" to make the game truly great.  IMO, that would be world design.  The zones are just so bland and dull, and the boring combat doesn't help.  

One thing, and maybe the only thing, I do respect out GW2 is the world design.  It's a fantastic looking world.  If we could combine the world design/environment of GW2 with pretty much everything else about Rift, we'd have a near-perfect themepark game.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I think most people who don't have a personal slight against Blizzard or aren't freeloaders would.

The raids are better, the content is better, the world is more cohesive, the classes have soul, the side activities are more far enjoyable.

There really is nothing that Rift offers that WoW doesn't do better. Well except housing since WoW doesnt offer it, but pretty much all of SoEs games offer far better housing than Rift if that is your thing.

For the record, I am an Everquest fanboy rather than a WoW one, but even I can see that WoW wins that round hands down.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by evilastro

I think most people who don't have a personal slight against Blizzard or aren't freeloaders would.

The raids are better, the content is better, the world is more cohesive, the classes have soul, the side activities are more far enjoyable.

There really is nothing that Rift offers that WoW doesn't do better. Well except housing since WoW doesnt offer it, but pretty much all of SoEs games offer far better housing than Rift if that is your thing.

For the record, I am an Everquest fanboy rather than a WoW one, but even I can see that WoW wins that round hands down.

I'd agree with this.  WoW is the better game.  But Rift is a solid themepark too.  

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Raiding ruins game. Group content and pvp only, please.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Rift is a good game but lacks all the things it needs for people to care about it. In the end its soulless as the characters and the story they tell and the world they inhabit.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by RebelScum99
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I would rather play GW2,

Both games are dull, but Rift is a much more balanced game, and there is enough there to keep someone interested beyond a few months, unlike GW2.  

Still, as posters up above have said, there seems to be that missing "something" to make the game truly great.  IMO, that would be world design.  The zones are just so bland and dull, and the boring combat doesn't help.  

One thing, and maybe the only thing, I do respect out GW2 is the world design.  It's a fantastic looking world.  If we could combine the world design/environment of GW2 with pretty much everything else about Rift, we'd have a near-perfect themepark game.

The only things I would want GW2 to borrow from Rift are the Soul system, landscape-changing invasions, mounts, and housing.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

I couldn't agree more. Everyone always thinks I hate on Rift, but the truth is there is just something missing to put it over the top. It's like a good steak that just isn't seasoned right. It's good, but it's missing that one little thing to make it great.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

My interest in this game is starting to wane.  I'm fighting it, but I don't know how much longer I will last.  I'm not sure what they could do to keep my interest. 

I like some aspects of the store.  I've purchased additional professions and leveled them up.  I wish the clothing packs were cheaper.  This patch, the most I got out of it was a new hair style.  And they should have made the hairstyles you purchase equipable from a character tab. 

Maybe my dimension and building my dream house is all I have left to keep me going.  I don't like rerolling alts and I am not a min maxer.  It's probably time to find a new mmo but I don't have the energy at the moment.

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Asamof

One of the big turn offs for me was the lack of personality/charm in everything. Everything was done well for the most part, but Rift felt like such a 'paint by numbers' fantasy.

Exactly.  And part of the problem is the way they created the game itself.  Games like WoW and GW2 and even FFXIV...they started from an empty plate.  And the developers brainstormed "what can we do to make a great MMO".  And these three games, like them or not, have their own charm and personality.

Rift, on the other hand, didnt start as a blank plate.  It started as WoW.  And the developers thought 'how can we make WoW better?".  And the result is what should be a better game than WoW, but isn't.  And i would imagine part of that is because it has to be more engaging to make your own game, as opposed to a redo of someone else's.  

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

Agree.

Originally posted by Aroukos