Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Notice of Shutdown Posted

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Warhammer Online development team has posted a notice on the official site that states that the game will cease operations on December 18th. The official notice is quite terse but a personal reflection post by Producer Carrie Gouskos is also available on the site.

Greetings Warhammer Online Subscribers,

We here at Mythic have built an amazing relationship working with Games Workshop creating and running Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning over the last 8 years. Unfortunately, as with all licensing deals they do eventually  come to end and on December 18th, 2013 we will no longer be operating Warhammer Online. As such we will no longer be selling 3 month game time codes or have the ability to auto renew your accounts for 3 months as of September 18th, 2013. If you would like to read some additional thoughts from one of WAR’s Producer please check out http://www.warhammeronline.com/.  From all of us here at Mythic we thank you again for your dedication and support over the last five years.

If you have any questions please feel free contact us via email at [email protected].

Waaagh!

Warhammer Team

Read Gouskos's letter here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Meanwhile, DAoC is still alive.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Depressing. Despite all its issues, there still isn't a PvP MMO out there that does it for me the way WAR did. I wish they would have done more to rescue it.
  • GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    3 factions could of helped people overlook a crapton of issues this game had.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

EA/Bioware/Mythic should be ashamed of themselves.

The game had its problems, but they gave up on it, and its playerbase, far too soon.  The majority of games that have come out over the last several years have had problems.  The difference here is that the other game companies have put legitimate effort into improving those games, while EA and Mythic decided to pull the plug on real support after about a year.

The RvR in WAR was actually a lot of fun, and the game could have been improved and salvaged.

Shame on Mythic.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Explains a lot. I tried to sub to it the other day so I could experience the world beyond the trial (had a nagging suspicion this was coming) and they wouldn't let me. Would be nice if they would open the rest of the world up now so I could screenshot it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kedoremos
    Meanwhile, DAoC is still alive.

for both WAR and DAOC I was hoping for a ftp option

WAR was saddled w the Games Workshop license

DAOC doesnt have that ip handicap so who knows ...

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Sucks balls :-(

I held out a very unrealistic hope that it would eventually go free to play and attract back a decent audience but it was a pipe dream given the many aspects of the game that fell short of acceptable. Still, lot of good times in this game and I will miss my little 'waaargh'-y greenskin shaman :-( 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Depressing. Despite all its issues, there still isn't a PvP MMO out there that does it for me the way WAR did. I wish they would have done more to rescue it.

i think they decided to shut it down instead of saving it as F2P because Swtor is not doing well with their awful hybrid model. Since Mythic is also part of EA they just opted to let it die. My opinion, of course.

I never played SWG but i remember when it shut down SOE said the license ended, then EA took the license and made Swtor. Now WAR's license is ending, i hope a better company gets revives it or make a better version. I would definitelly have played this game without a sub.

• urdrielurdriel Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Good game, bad company, this game need a F2P relaunch( with a balanced Cash Shop ofc)
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXwZtnQ-SE

Legendary!

Paul Barnett was just AWESOME... the actual game was not so awesome, unfortunately.

Biggest prerelease hype ever!

I am a little sad.

Yet, they had so many good ideas like the tomb of knowledge or open quests - now ALL MMOs have those things.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

It was about time.

This was the first WoW clone (with some DAOC twist), so as it signaled the start of an era, I hope its demise signals the start of a new era (the end of WoW clones)

For the people complaining......................WAR wasn't good enough, didn't have enough paying customers and therefore it had to go.

Sorry to say this, but mediocre games deserve this fate.

Developers need to start making real MMOs and should stop chasing the Holy Graal..................maybe they should look at older games pre-WoW, which by the way are all still alive.

• jordiincraasjordiincraas Member UncommonPosts: 59
    they're prob shutting down to make room for the new Warhammer MMO thats in the works (warhammer 40k). Like what Star Wars did. Also maybe this means they're go back to the game they dropped for this one. The based on what if the roman empire never died... I wanna say Imperator? maybe
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by MikeB

That certainly IS true. I had good in with my Bright Mage raining down fire on Chaos players. Still, it was just very ugly, totally imbalanced, lame PVE and was overall just a very mediocre MMO. But they just gave it up! It'S what we have seen so often, when a MMO goes wrong, big companies just drop it like a hot potatoe. They take no effort to turn it around, especially in the case of EA.

And look at the screenshots! It looks like 15 years old not five years. So much to the theory that cartoony ages better, eh?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    To bad, but it was a mishandled ip. I agree with others that it didn't go ftp for a 'reason', since it could have continued to make money that way, but maybe the resources are needed elsewhere.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Swtor next?

I remember playing the beta for WAR, and the game kept crashing.  It was actually a good game too.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by jordiincraas
    they're prob shutting down to make room for the new Warhammer MMO thats in the works (warhammer 40k). Like what Star Wars did. Also maybe this means they're go back to the game they dropped for this one. The based on what if the roman empire never died... I wanna say Imperator? maybe

This is also true, as I tried to explain many times in the SWG case, you cannot have 2 MMOs with the same IP running at the same time because of licensing rights reasons.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Wish they would just convert it to a F2P model. =/ Sad to see it shutdown, but it is what it is. WAR is easily my most hoped for, and most disappointed by, MMO.
  • LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    I held out this to be my last mmorpg I would ever play. The world, story, and history that is in the warhammer world is endless. Glad this poor excuse for a game died. Hopefully, someone doesssomething good with the warhammer ip
  • HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

I really enjoyed this game with my friends on the Phoenix Throne RP server (before merges)

If they would have put out a expansion..even now I would buy it and hope it had all the cities that was in the closed beta that was never released.

This is very sad

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Some great zones, and classes, but ultimately too restricted.

Anyone remember this version by Climax before Mythic's version?

Warhammer online (Climax)

Wonder how that would have turned out instead?

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by rojo6934 
    Now WAR's license is ending, i hope a better company gets revives it or make a better version.

I agree, but I'm not hoping for revival, just a total reboot.

The world needs a good Warhammer MMO. The IP is just so awesome, it's a shame Mythic didn't understand it at all. A multi-fraction PvP game set in The Old World could be really great, and it's too bad a whole generation of gamers will now associate the Warhammer IP with this trainwreck of a game.

Sure, it had its moments and I was pretty addicted to the RvR for a time. But it had so many serious design flaws and some really sloppy made content that it was doomed from the start - especially considered the ridiculous pre-launch hype.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by observer

Swtor next?

I remember playing the beta for WAR, and the game kept crashing.  It was actually a good game too.

Keep daydreaming. 

Wishing a game to shut down just because you don't like is bellow low.

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

*heavy sigh* Knew it was coming, but still ****ing sucks to hear.

So much potential wasted; leave it to EA to squander the honor of such a prestigious IP. Creative Assembly has the rights for a new Fantasy title (iirc 1 game), but their track record with Empire TW and now Rome 2 TW doesn't bode well. At least 40k has the DoW franchise; boggles my mind how often companies **** up creating a game with the Warhammer name.

Could have held the game in development for just 2 more years and many of the problems faced at launched would have been resolved. Hell, even 1 additional year would had been great; but nope, EA had to push out the title because Mythic was loosing profits when they took them over. Overhype it and make the return on box sales. Then never give the players any real content update (really, you call LotD an expansion?!) and keep it at a 15$ subscription fee. It boils the blood.

I get the feeling that WAR pays the price for SWtOR's F2P conversation failure. ****ing ironic, since the rumor going around WAR was that our subscription profits went to SWtOR's abnormally high development cost.

P.S. - If I seem angry/ranting, I am and I love this IP so seeing it thrown away and pissed on irritates the **** out of me.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Well that's damn sad, but considering EA was slow to adapt the game to F2P and never really did it beyond T1 free trial it doesn't really surprise me. I had good times in RvR when the game worked as intended.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • MinjieMinjie Member Posts: 11
    How the hell is DAOC still alive, its alot older than warhammer, i returned to it a couple months ago and most zones were completely deserted, besides the cities and rvr zones of course... maybe daocs time is coming soon?