Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My 3 major gripes about the game...

Comments

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Yeah, the confirmations and overall excessive dialogs for trivial crap are annoying.  Like when you want to use a choco porter to do something simple like travel from point A to B and have to click 4-5 times thru the same dialogs.  I really hate the retainer system for banking and market board use too - it's so freaking clunky.  If you want to do a leve it's click after click to get and turn in - getting and turning in are more effort than doing.

Picking just 3 gripes for me is tough since while I overall like this game, I think there are quite a few issues that people seem to blow off, excuse, or put up with.

1.  Overall quality of life issues.  No stats on tooltip compare.  Retainer/bank/market clunkiness.  Horrific inventory system.  Even more horrific armoire interface.  Zero gear preview.  Horrible repair interface (vendor AND?OR player).  Can't hide quests on log.  Wonky map.  Limits while mounted (can't talk to npcs, no intelligent/intuitive auto dismounting for combat/zoning).  These kinds of things.

2.  Overall ez-mode and wacko balance of challenge/effort vs reward.  Solo questing is more stripped down and easy than ever.  Fate grinding makes all previous ez-mode gameplay in the genre look compelling - it's xp welfare and one (small) step away from just giving out xp on a timer for being logged in.  Battlecraft leves are ungodly boring but are at least marginally more difficult than solo quests or fate grinding cheese.  Meanwhile, instances require you to be 100% on your game, to wade thru metric assloads of heavy hitting trash with billons of hp, and to potentially DF with complete fools.  Gathering is pure grind that requires more attention than fate grinding.  Crafting is probably the most complicated thing you can do in the game.  The rewards in the game seem to be inverted.  You can drown in xp and seals for doing fates, which require absolutely zero effort/skill/ability/proper level/gear and you get comparatively much less reward for doing instances which require the exact opposite amount of skill and effort (and gear to some extent but you see people in crap gear slopping thru instances while leveling - not even sure how people can have such bad gear in a game that hands out everything like candy except for the fact that they grind 20 levels via fates then go do a lvl 40 instance in their lvl 20 gear).

2.b  The main problem with everything being stupidly easy is this.  It's bad for the game's health and longevity (in addition to being boring as hell for anybody with a brain, MMO experience, or general gaming awesomeness (seems like most players I encounter think they're god's gift to gaming so surely they're affected).  When people can easily level to cap in a week or less and when endgame consists of very little content (at least half of existing endgame content is stuff  you only need to do once or only need to do til you get YOUR drop, the rest is just grinding tombstones and due to no lockouts or anything people will naturally ONLY do the most efficient content, meaning, you grind the same ONE piece of content that's fotm (hasn't been "fixed" yet to prevent it from being "speed run") for maximum efficiency - because 19/20 players play like their life is on the line and if they don't obliterate the game as fast as humanly possible satan is going to whisk them away to gaming hell.  It's bad because we're not even a month in and some guilds are already completely geared and done and selling content to losers.  Tons of people are 50, well thru gearing the current tier, and nearly done.  We don't even have to start subbing for almost 2 more weeks and a lot of people are WELL into endgame.  WTF are people going to do and how is SE ever going to pump out content to match the easy mode speedy pace of this mess they've created?  Nobody has ever managed to pull it off in slower paced games previously.  Make no mistake, FFXIV is a "post WoW clone" and it has the same formula for fail as all of the others (too solo, too easy, no enough end game).  Having such a dramatically faster pace is a really, really bad idea unless SE has a LOT of content just sitting to crank out in the very near future.

3.  I'll go with the 2.5s GCD too.  Sure, FFXI had it.  I didn't play FFXI and don't care.  Most MMORPGs have 1.5s and often less (at least for certain classes) and often have abilities that aren't on the GCD to spice things up.  This game has simplistic class designs and simplistic combat as a result compared to many other big MMORPGs.  There simply ARE NOT many strategic considerations when you have so few options at any given moment.  Nobody needs 2.5s to ponder actions that should be routine.  The combat in this game is considerably more "streamlined" than combat has been in many other MMORPGs.  There's nothing special about it.  Nothing to warrant extra time for deep thought.

Overall, IMO, a lot of fights drag on for too long outside of fate grind massacres that are often over before you can land a hit, especially trash mobs in instances.  Most instance trash serves no purpose other than to fill space and induce time sink, and it does this very well due to health of the mobs being so high.  I don't think it's really proving much - it doesn't take extraordinary skill or ability to wade thru repetitive and boring trash, it just takes patience and perseverance.

The long GCD just means you aren't spamming into carpal oblivion for those horribly long fights but overall, the whole "package" kind of sucks.  The GCD could be 1.5s and instance mobs could have 60% of their current health and the quality of trash fights would be the same.

I also play a tank and the 2.5s GCD just feels agonizing to me.  It lacks responsiveness.  In other MMORPGs if I had spells with 2.5s casting times I would've consider those spells torture, but that's how most spells are in this game.  It's glacial.

It has nothing to do with ADD or anything like that.  I really don't understand why people defend the 2.5s GCD.  It's different from most games in the genre, there's no good reason for it to be that way, and it's not fun for a lot of people.  Maybe you don't mind putting up with it, and that's fine, but do you REALLY need 2.5s to figure out your next move in combat that's this simple?  I truly hope not.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Voqar

Yeah, the confirmations and overall excessive dialogs for trivial crap are annoying.  Like when you want to use a choco porter to do something simple like travel from point A to B and have to click 4-5 times thru the same dialogs.  I really hate the retainer system for banking and market board use too - it's so freaking clunky.  If you want to do a leve it's click after click to get and turn in - getting and turning in are more effort than doing.

Picking just 3 gripes for me is tough since while I overall like this game, I think there are quite a few issues that people seem to blow off, excuse, or put up with.

1.  Overall quality of life issues.  No stats on tooltip compare.  Retainer/bank/market clunkiness.  Horrific inventory system.  Even more horrific armoire interface.  Zero gear preview.  Horrible repair interface (vendor AND?OR player).  Can't hide quests on log.  Wonky map.  Limits while mounted (can't talk to npcs, no intelligent/intuitive auto dismounting for combat/zoning).  These kinds of things.

2.  Overall ez-mode and wacko balance of challenge/effort vs reward.  Solo questing is more stripped down and easy than ever.  Fate grinding makes all previous ez-mode gameplay in the genre look compelling - it's xp welfare and one (small) step away from just giving out xp on a timer for being logged in.  Battlecraft leves are ungodly boring but are at least marginally more difficult than solo quests or fate grinding cheese.  Meanwhile, instances require you to be 100% on your game, to wade thru metric assloads of heavy hitting trash with billons of hp, and to potentially DF with complete fools.  Gathering is pure grind that requires more attention than fate grinding.  Crafting is probably the most complicated thing you can do in the game.  The rewards in the game seem to be inverted.  You can drown in xp and seals for doing fates, which require absolutely zero effort/skill/ability/proper level/gear and you get comparatively much less reward for doing instances which require the exact opposite amount of skill and effort (and gear to some extent but you see people in crap gear slopping thru instances while leveling - not even sure how people can have such bad gear in a game that hands out everything like candy except for the fact that they grind 20 levels via fates then go do a lvl 40 instance in their lvl 20 gear).

2.b  The main problem with everything being stupidly easy is this.  It's bad for the game's health and longevity (in addition to being boring as hell for anybody with a brain, MMO experience, or general gaming awesomeness (seems like most players I encounter think they're god's gift to gaming so surely they're affected).  When people can easily level to cap in a week or less and when endgame consists of very little content (at least half of existing endgame content is stuff  you only need to do once or only need to do til you get YOUR drop, the rest is just grinding tombstones and due to no lockouts or anything people will naturally ONLY do the most efficient content, meaning, you grind the same ONE piece of content that's fotm (hasn't been "fixed" yet to prevent it from being "speed run") for maximum efficiency - because 19/20 players play like their life is on the line and if they don't obliterate the game as fast as humanly possible satan is going to whisk them away to gaming hell.  It's bad because we're not even a month in and some guilds are already completely geared and done and selling content to losers.  Tons of people are 50, well thru gearing the current tier, and nearly done.  We don't even have to start subbing for almost 2 more weeks and a lot of people are WELL into endgame.  WTF are people going to do and how is SE ever going to pump out content to match the easy mode speedy pace of this mess they've created?  Nobody has ever managed to pull it off in slower paced games previously.  Make no mistake, FFXIV is a "post WoW clone" and it has the same formula for fail as all of the others (too solo, too easy, no enough end game).  Having such a dramatically faster pace is a really, really bad idea unless SE has a LOT of content just sitting to crank out in the very near future.

3.  I'll go with the 2.5s GCD too.  Sure, FFXI had it.  I didn't play FFXI and don't care.  Most MMORPGs have 1.5s and often less (at least for certain classes) and often have abilities that aren't on the GCD to spice things up.  This game has simplistic class designs and simplistic combat as a result compared to many other big MMORPGs.  There simply ARE NOT many strategic considerations when you have so few options at any given moment.  Nobody needs 2.5s to ponder actions that should be routine.  The combat in this game is considerably more "streamlined" than combat has been in many other MMORPGs.  There's nothing special about it.  Nothing to warrant extra time for deep thought.

Overall, IMO, a lot of fights drag on for too long outside of fate grind massacres that are often over before you can land a hit, especially trash mobs in instances.  Most instance trash serves no purpose other than to fill space and induce time sink, and it does this very well due to health of the mobs being so high.  I don't think it's really proving much - it doesn't take extraordinary skill or ability to wade thru repetitive and boring trash, it just takes patience and perseverance.

The long GCD just means you aren't spamming into carpal oblivion for those horribly long fights but overall, the whole "package" kind of sucks.  The GCD could be 1.5s and instance mobs could have 60% of their current health and the quality of trash fights would be the same.

I also play a tank and the 2.5s GCD just feels agonizing to me.  It lacks responsiveness.  In other MMORPGs if I had spells with 2.5s casting times I would've consider those spells torture, but that's how most spells are in this game.  It's glacial.

It has nothing to do with ADD or anything like that.  I really don't understand why people defend the 2.5s GCD.  It's different from most games in the genre, there's no good reason for it to be that way, and it's not fun for a lot of people.  Maybe you don't mind putting up with it, and that's fine, but do you REALLY need 2.5s to figure out your next move in combat that's this simple?  I truly hope not.

And not one mention of the amazing crafting system. Please tell me which MMO DO you like...because if you're that particular it must be REALLY good.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• azonic69azonic69 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by stevenw9

@OP, I agree with you.

@tom-gore, I do not agree with you.

1. There are voice overs, for key parts of the main storyline. Anything more would have ramped up the costs by millions and millions of dollars. Just go see how much SWTOR spent on their voice acting. The investment was incredible, and most companies would be considered crazy to invest that much money without something strong backing it up. Considering how FF14 1.0 went down, this was not a luxury Enix could afford.

2. It's an Asian game. What did you expect? Western themes?

3. That 'questing style' is standard for almost all MMO's. I don't know where you've been or what you're playing.

4. The GCD can be reduced with gear.

I've got to say on point 4.... Yes it can be reduced by gear but even then it's not by much. I don't understand why they went with such a long GCD. 

The only thing I would change about the game is exactly that the GCD, I would lower it or keep it at 2.5 but let the combo skill actually work like a combo and be able to chain them one after the other with almost no pause between skill.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Its a strange perspective I'm having heh. Most of the complaints I'm seeing about this game were things I enjoyed in star wars galaxies. And I'm enjoying them in ffxiv as well. To say this game is polarizing is an understatement haha

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Voqar

(...)

You can bind the "confirm" function to any key you wish. That way you avoid a lot of clicking and can instead quickly use the confirm function instead. Turning in leves is super smooth that way, you practically only need to click to select which item to turn in, rest is just confirm spamming XD.

(You need to keep in mind that the "confirm" function is standard in many console games and you should really use it in this game)

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

1)  Gold Spammers and the inability to easily report them and blacklist them is my number 1 gripe.

2)  My #2 gripe is the same as my original gripe in 1.0: Excessive, excessive, excessive drops of tradeskill related drops.  I mean seriously?  Do I really need two different types of the same material (normal quality and high quality) taking up my inventory space?  Let's use GW2 as a fine example:  They have specific inventory for tradeskill components.  Leave the normal inventory for potions, clickies, and the stuff I make from tradeskilling.

3)  Gated Content is fine.  I don't mind having to work my way towards something.  Gated "features" though I abhor.  Seriously.  WTH do I have to wait until I get my Grand Company to get my retainers?  Let me sell the stuff I make, or gather, without restriction.  Not being able to dye gear until you run a quest?  Come on now (don't get me started on the limitations of dying your gear.  You can't dye "unique" items)

4)  What's the deal with all the confirmations?  I don't need my hand held THAT much.

5)  #5 is also my #1, just because it warrants another listing.  I HATE gold spammers!

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

1)  Gold Spammers and the inability to easily report them and blacklist them is my number 1 gripe.

2)  My #2 gripe is the same as my original gripe in 1.0: Excessive, excessive, excessive drops of tradeskill related drops.  I mean seriously?  Do I really need two different types of the same material (normal quality and high quality) taking up my inventory space?  Let's use GW2 as a fine example:  They have specific inventory for tradeskill components.  Leave the normal inventory for potions, clickies, and the stuff I make from tradeskilling.

3)  Gated Content is fine.  I don't mind having to work my way towards something.  Gated "features" though I abhor.  Seriously.  WTH do I have to wait until I get my Grand Company to get my retainers?  Let me sell the stuff I make, or gather, without restriction.  Not being able to dye gear until you run a quest?  Come on now (don't get me started on the limitations of dying your gear.  You can't dye "unique" items)

4)  What's the deal with all the confirmations?  I don't need my hand held THAT much.

5)  #5 is also my #1, just because it warrants another listing.  I HATE gold spammers!

Crafting in GW2 is an afterthought, crafting FFXIV is a major focus. Inventory management is crucial and it rewards those who can quickly find out if an item is worth keeping or just throwaway trash. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by bluemagi
    Originally posted by tom_gore

3. Old fashioned questing style with 100 NPCS in city with !s above their heads.

I don't normally respond too much to posts but I felt somewhat compelled to respond to this one.

3.  I dare you to propose something better.

Do away with tradition levels (filler content), then make traditional quest give extremely low (maybe zero)XP, and 100% optional. This would alllow (force) the developers to make more emergent and player driven content. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105

The 2.5s GCD:

On the official forums, which as always for *any* mmorpg are mostly full of whiners, someone posted a plea to shorten the GCD and speed up the combat.  However, unlike most posts with complaints about the game, this was met with a dozen pages of replies saying the combat system is fine.  And it is.

You definitely appreciate it more in the upper levels with more cross class skills unlocked.  And at least as a tank it definitely makes each individual action seem more meaningful.

It is a legit gripe someone could have with the game (which is the title of this thread) just like no trinity in GW2 is a legit gripe.  But neither is a bad thing in terms of game quality.  Just personal preference.  

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

Judging by the graphics style, console designed controls and mixed reviews, I'll wait for something else. I was never a fan of console games or the FF lore. Imma PC gamer 100%. I do enjoy high end graphics, sound and special effects. But also deep content. I'll continue playing AC2 and EQ2 until something better comes along. 

And everyone is entitled to their opinion. To say, 'how can you say' or 'how can you think that...' is condemning someones personal opinion when it is 'their' personal opinion. Don't quite understand that. Gold spamming, having to hit confirm (or bind a key to do it) low res graphics, few voice overs and a modest amount of content are valid issues if they truly exist. I realize the FFARR community that really enjoy this game want their player base to remain strong but honestly with the mixed reviews and it's mixed reception, can you blame me for waiting for something else? If you enjoy the game that's great. The fun factor is why we play these games but don't harsh people out because they like or dislike a game if people tried it and have an opinion. 

Calling a detractor who has not played the game and is putting up false information...well, that is something else altogether. I don't know why people do that here but they do it seems. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    SWTOR featured plenty of voice overs, in fact voice overs for EVERYTHING and I wanted to shoot myself. FFXIV offers a proper blend of voice overs. I don't think Square felt it was necessary to incorporate it into every single quest.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

Originally posted by Stone_Fountain

Judging by the graphics style, console designed controls and mixed reviews, I'll wait for something else. I was never a fan of console games or the FF lore. Imma PC gamer 100%. I do enjoy high end graphics, sound and special effects. But also deep content. I'll continue playing AC2 and EQ2 until something better comes along. 

And everyone is entitled to their opinion. To say, 'how can you say' or 'how can you think that...' is condemning someones personal opinion when it is 'their' personal opinion. Don't quite understand that. Gold spamming, having to hit confirm (or bind a key to do it) low res graphics, few voice overs and a modest amount of content are valid issues if they truly exist. I realize the FFARR community that really enjoy this game want their player base to remain strong but honestly with the mixed reviews and it's mixed reception, can you blame me for waiting for something else? If you enjoy the game that's great. The fun factor is why we play these games but don't harsh people out because they like or dislike a game if people tried it and have an opinion. 

Calling a detractor who has not played the game and is putting up false information...well, that is something else altogether. I don't know why people do that here but they do it seems. 

You are rather unique in the sense that you cannot find any console game to like. I suppose most people can find both pc games and console games to like, it is an extreme to not find either any console games to like or pc games to like.

It is like stating that you cannot find anything in Italian cuisine or French cuisine that you enjoy. I do hope it is because it just happens to be so despite giving different sorts a try and not because of massive stereotypes and presumptions :P.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Overall though, I enjoy the game, it is fun, its just the little things that a new game should not be plagued by that really get under my skin.

MMORPG is a sum of a zillion things. You will never come across a game with no little things that plague it that "should not be there".

The only difference between the games is whether you are annoyed by said flaws or not.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

You are rather unique in the sense that you cannot find any console game to like. I suppose most people can find both pc games and console games to like, it is an extreme to not find either any console games to like or pc games to like.

It is like stating that you cannot find anything in Italian cuisine or French cuisine that you enjoy. I do hope it is because it just happens to be so despite giving different sorts a try and not because of massive stereotypes and presumptions :P.

I've tried alot of games since EQ. SWTOR and RIFT to be the latest. I owned a Nintendo back in the day and played Phantasy Star II and Dragon Warrior IV etc. but with a $3000 PC staring me in the face, I guess I have not been predisposed to gravitate to a console though some games looked pretty good. I'm still looking and right now, I am very enthusiastic about ESO. That's where my money is going to go at release. I know some people are not into the Elder Scrolls just like I am not into Final Fantasy and that is completely ok. 

I am an avid Star Trek fan and because STO ( I never tried it) was just ships instead of heroes (Champions Online which I did try) I couldn't bring myself to buy and try it. I am happy I hadn't because I wouldn't have been happy. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I've tried alot of games since EQ. SWTOR and RIFT to be the latest. I owned a Nintendo back in the day and played Phantasy Star II and Dragon Warrior IV etc. but with a $3000 PC staring me in the face, I guess I have not been predisposed to gravitate to a console though some games looked pretty good. I'm still looking and right now, I am very enthusiastic about ESO. That's where my money is going to go at release. I know some people are not into the Elder Scrolls just like I am not into Final Fantasy and that is completely ok. 

I am an avid Star Trek fan and because STO ( I never tried it) was just ships instead of heroes (Champions Online which I did try) I couldn't bring myself to buy and try it. I am happy I hadn't because I wouldn't have been happy. 

Phantasy star II and Dragon Warrior IV are both JRPGs, i.e. they are two specific examples of the JRPG subgenre that exists in console gaming.

If you have the money, I strongly recommend testing Metal Gear Solid IV on the PS3. It is completely different from JRPGs, it's genre is "Action-adventurestealth" according to wikipedia. (Quite old though, released in 2008, but it is a classic and a masterpiece) It has 94/100 metascore and 8.7/10 userscore on metacritic. 

I don't think there is anything quite like Metal Gear Solid IV  on PC at all? Someone who knows the Metal Gear Solid series well could elaborate if I am wrong there XD. 

Either way, Metal Gear Solid series take heavy inspiration from real life politics and wars (recent installations certainly look at the Middle-East aspect). It also contains sci-fi elements in that  advanced military technology that probably doesn't exist in our world, exists in that world.

Reading http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/06/12/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-review would give an idea of what it is like. 

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

I've heard "its a Asian game" allot when it comes to FFXIV ARR.  Yet its one of the easiest mmo to date. Theres nothing hard about it anywhere. You get to 50 in a blink. Crafting is really easy and just super boring.

Then the lack of support for those with real problems with the game. For me its like the game was made in America. Now you see why allot of people like it...its easy. The lack of armors, weapons ...no fun.

• LegendtriggerLegendtrigger Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Zeblade

I've heard "its a Asian game" allot when it comes to FFXIV ARR.  Yet its one of the easiest mmo to date. Theres nothing hard about it anywhere. You get to 50 in a blink. Crafting is really easy and just super boring.

Then the lack of support for those with real problems with the game. For me its like the game was made in America. Now you see why allot of people like it...its easy. The lack of armors, weapons ...no fun.

What are you talking about, yes leveling to 50 is easy.

But after 50 the hm primal battles and raid are rly not easy. And hm titan and coil are just hard battles.

You probaly havent even beaten one hm primal have u? =/

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by Legendtrigger

But after 50 the hm primal battles and raid are rly not easy. And hm titan and coil are just hard battles.

Some people confuse "time-consuming" with "hard".

You've just met one of those people.

The game stops being "easy" post-30 anyway, your average gamer really needs to pay attention after that point.

Of course here everyone is leet uber pro god's gift to MMO's, so they just have to deal with the game not being challenging enough to their standards.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Its a strange perspective I'm having heh. Most of the complaints I'm seeing about this game were things I enjoyed in star wars galaxies. And I'm enjoying them in ffxiv as well. To say this game is polarizing is an understatement haha

You know...you're absolutely right - and me as well. I get the same vibe from FF ARR as I did with SWG and that's a really good thing.

Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by Legendtrigger

Some people confuse "time-consuming" with "hard".

You've just met one of those people.

The game stops being "easy" post-30 anyway, your average gamer really needs to pay attention after that point.

Of course here everyone is leet uber pro god's gift to MMO's, so they just have to deal with the game not being challenging enough to their standards.

And here is the problem - you nailed it! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed that.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I've only played a few moments, but I don't feel like playing much more. I'll add my own:1. No voiceovers?! This is 2013 and FFXIV is supposed to be an AAA MMORPG?2. Asian graphics style with weird races and monsters.3. Old fashioned questing style with 100 NPCS in city with !s above their heads.4. 2,5 second GCD? Are you serious? Guess I'm just spoiled by GW2, but it looks like there is no going back to these "traditional" holy trinity, tabtarget GCD hotkeyspam, 16 active quests on your checklist type of games.Should've known. At least I didn't spend too much money on this. 

1. Main Story Line has voiceovers.

2. Its an asian company and all of these races are taken from older FF games so idk what you were expecting? This has a more western art style than most MMOs to date. It looks and feels like Final Fantasy so...

3. Most of which you don't have to do, I dont see whats wrong with having plenty of quests to do that are all well written.

4. Not all skills go on the GCD and if you played past 15 you would know that.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I've been playing this game just a bit as well, and here are my pro's and cons from just the small amount I've played:

Pro's

1. The armory system is awesome.  I love being able to switch between any class that I find with one character and (to a limited extent) mix and match abilities.  I also like that the armory exp bonus for secondary classes makes it possible for me to level fairly quickly just from exploring and killing stuff, which I honestly enjoy more than questing.

2.  I've been a huge fan of the FF IP since the NES days, so the fact that this game is jam-packed with FF spells, music, monsters etc. is a big deal for me.

Cons

1. The combat feels kind of slow and sluggish after coming from playing games like GW2 and DOTA2.  I'm also not a big fan of extremely heavy tab-targeting.

2.  This game has the standard "quest-hub" design where you are funneled from location to location and then right click on a bunch of exclamation points and run errands.  Frankly, this is a huge turn-off for me.  It makes me feel like I have no freedom...thankfully the fact that I can switch between classes helps to give me some of that freedom back.

So basically I have some problems with the game, but I AM enjoying it for now mainly because of the armory system and the FF IP.  I'm hoping that EQ Next will be more to my taste when it comes out though.  It seems to combine what I love about this game (multiclassing) and what I love about GW2 (combat).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

I've only played a few moments, but I don't feel like playing much more. I'll add my own:

1. No voiceovers?! This is 2013 and FFXIV is supposed to be an AAA MMORPG?

2. Asian graphics style with weird races and monsters.

3. Old fashioned questing style with 100 NPCS in city with !s above their heads.

4. 2,5 second GCD? Are you serious?

Guess I'm just spoiled by GW2, but it looks like there is no going back to these "traditional" holy trinity, tabtarget GCD hotkeyspam, 16 active quests on your checklist type of games.

Should've known. At least I didn't spend too much money on this.

1. I agree that there needs to be more voice overs. The voicing stops at odd points. But not SWTOR voice overs. Voice the main story and maybe the class quests but not the sides, leves and so on.

2. uh, news flash, its an Asian game. Of course it is going to have an Asian style.

3. It sounds like you were hoping that every game after GW2 would be GW2? Not everyone liked GW2.

4. Bit jarring at first but you get used to it. But this is also a final fantasy thing and you cant have it go to fast without disadvantaging the console players. Once again, realize the world doesn't revolve around your tastes. This isn't a flaw, it was a choice.

If you want an action combat game then choose from any of the dozen or so out right now. Lots of people are choosing this game exactly because it has the style of combat they prefer. There is room for diversity in the genre.

All die, so die well.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

I've only played a few moments, but I don't feel like playing much more. I'll add my own:

1. No voiceovers?! This is 2013 and FFXIV is supposed to be an AAA MMORPG?

2. Asian graphics style with weird races and monsters.

4. 2,5 second GCD? Are you serious?

Guess I'm just spoiled by GW2, but it looks like there is no going back to these "traditional" holy trinity, tabtarget GCD hotkeyspam, 16 active quests on your checklist type of games.

Should've known. At least I didn't spend too much money on this.

lol voice over makes things nice BUt way too exspensive

• Lavitz0813Lavitz0813 Member Posts: 5

FFS, why do people complain about the 2.5 GCD?! I mean its evident most have no clue as to why it was implemented in the first place.  The GCD was put into place because of PS3 users.  the DEVS! clearly stated this during interviews.  I really wish people would inform themselves before bitching.  Furthermore if you don't like it, add speed and take it down.  As a WHM, all my gear has Spell Speed.  I have absolutely no problems healing or keeping people alive. 

Also on another note, people complaining about the game feeling small or not big enough. Should once again, go educate themselves.  This game is probably 70% complete.  There are 3 massive patches that will be released still.  Which will almost double the world, add classes and jobs, put in PvP, Raise level caps and put a ton of more end-game content.