Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] General: Eon Altar: Setting a New Standard for Tabletop Gaming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPGs are the stock-in-trade of our site but occasionally we come across a non-MMO game that is so wickedly awesome as to make us want to spread the word. So it is with Eon Altar, a mobile tabletop fantasy-RPG from Flying Helmet Games. We check out the game at PAX and have an exclusive first-look at a very cool game. Read on!

What it is, is the name of the first fantasy RPG campaign that Flying Helmet Games is bringing to us on iOS, Windows an8 d Android. The premise is elegant. Instead of bring campaign books, rule books, hex boards and dice to a gathering of friends to play a table top campaign, all you have to bring is your tablet and smart phones. Everything else is contained within game and client app.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's Eon Altar: Setting a New Standard for Tabletop Gaming.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    I haven't seen this coming... wow, I really like it. Great ideea, will follow.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

http://www.golemarcana.com

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/golem-arcana

Actual technology integration but sticking with being a true table-top game. As in the table top is still actually used and thus relevant as opposed to the game above.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I would bet that when people thought of taking Dungeons and Dragons to computers, this is more what they thought of originally than anything else. Maybe people would have thought of holograms moving around on a playing surface, like Star Wars' chess game, but the game play would have been a lot like this. It's like Retro Future Science Fiction!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Great idea, something different, yet classic, excellent!
  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

I prefer the Fantasy Grounds/Roll20.net approach to this. The graphics aren't as pretty obviously but it actualy feels closer to the tabletop experience then this seems to do. This seems a bit more akin to a NWN type experience.

Generaly when I'm playing table-top, the real appeal is the role-playing and open ended creativity as both a GM and player of creating your own narrative of the scenario rather then following a pre-set script, even one that allows for branching decision tree's. That's the huge advantage of human moderated play, IMO.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    Great concept and I could really see this taking table to games to a whole new level, but in order to do so they would need to create tools so that DMs can make their own campaigns, loot tables, and basicly be the developers behind the scenes, allow the true freedom that table tops are know and ment for. Having to buy a prescripted campaign really takes a lot of the table top out of the game itself, but the technology is great and I see no reason they couldn't allow the DMs to go in, modify loot, creatures, write their own storys and everything that it would need to be a true evolution of table top gaming.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• ejdouglasejdouglas Member Posts: 1

Exciting News - Eon Altar is on Kickstarter! Check it out!  http://kck.st/1a7PFGV

One of the stretch goals is the Level Editor to create your own adventures!

Edward J Douglas -  Creative Director, Flying Helmet Games

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Interesting concept.  I will have to watch this game as it develops.